Pippa Middleton: May 2011-May 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Pippa is in the news again with suggestions that she and George Percy are becoming more involved. So can anyone tell me who he is? Related to the BRF? I know he is to inherit alot through his family but who are his family? I must have missed it somewhere.
George, Earl Percy is the eldest son and heir of Ralph Percy, 12th Duke of Northumberland and Lady Elizabeth (daughter of 8th Duke of Buccleuch). He is hear to multi-million fortune of his father, as well as one of the oldest and most illustrious titles in Britain: George will one day become 13th Duke of Northumberland.

You are probably familiar with Alnwick Castle - the seat of the Dukes of Northumberland: it's the Hogwarts Castle from the Harry Potter films.

Last edited:
You'd think Pippa would've had enough skiing for one year. She's obviously very physically fit.

And that's probably how she keeps so fit, with skiing among her other sports activities. My idea of keeping fit is a brisk walk at lunchtime every day, but that's all my budget can allow!:lol:

:previous:
Brisk walk is a good way to keep fit regardless of one's financial status. I like walking built in most European cities and towns. As for Ms.Middleton, it is great that her parents can afford the skiing activities.

Last edited:
If he is indeed there, I think we can safely ignore the "just friends" claim. Generally, you don't bring just a friend as your plus one on a family trip.

Doubt we'll get confirmation though

If he is indeed there, I think we can safely ignore the "just friends" claim. Generally, you don't bring just a friend as your plus one on a family trip.

Doubt we'll get confirmation though

Not exactly. Having a friend as your plus one (especially one that gets along with your family) is perfect for some. You can be paired up with someone you know and are comfortable with. As opposed to bring a new man in your life (if there is one) where everyone is getting to know each other and sometimes are not being themselves as they are trying to make a good impression. Its also good if everyone is paired up (ie. Kate/William, Mom/Dad, etc.) Of course if James is there by himself, that kind of throws the theory off a bit.:whistling: Because why shouldn't she pair off with James.

But hopefully you get the gist of what I am saying.

Last edited:
I speculate she and George are really serious, but I don't expect any acknowledgement by the Middletons!

Not exactly. Having a friend as your plus one (especially one that gets along with your family) is perfect for some. You can be paired up with someone you know and are comfortable with. As opposed to bring a new man in your life (if there is one) where everyone is getting to know each other and sometimes are not being themselves as they are trying to make a good impression. Its also good if everyone is paired up (ie. Kate/William, Mom/Dad, etc.) Of course if James is there by himself, that kind of throws the theory off a bit.:whistling: Because why shouldn't she pair off with James.

But hopefully you get the gist of what I am saying.

Oh understood completely and agreed! But it would be interesting to know if James is there by himself or not.

George, Earl Percy is the eldest son and heir of Ralph Percy, 12th Duke of Northumberland and Lady Elizabeth (daughter of 8th Duke of Buccleuch). He is hear to multi-million fortune of his father, as well as one of the oldest and most illustrious titles in Britain: George will one day become 13th Duke of Northumberland.

You are probably familiar with Alnwick Castle - the seat of the Dukes of Northumberland: it's the Hogwarts Castle from the Harry Potter films.

As well as Syon house in London. One of my favorite private (not castle) residences in the UK. I fell in love with it, in my first art history course. It was owned by the 1st duke, who had Robert Adams and Capability Brown renovate it for him. It became the family's main London home, when Northumberland house was demolished. The city wanted to demolish it, like the other mansions in the area had been, for a road. The duke refused, until much was destroyed by fire, and allowed the rest to be sold and torn down.

Syon Park: The London home of the Duke of Northumberland

Just one little genealogical correction. George's mother is Isobel Jane Richard, daughter of an Edinburgh stockbroker (and thus middle-class). Lady Elizabeth is his (still alive and kicking) grandmother who just celebrated her 90th birthday! :flowers:

The eldest son inherits the peerage and the bulk of the estate. There maybe trusts and smaller bequests for other children but the bulk of the estate goes to the heir.

It would certainly be pretty amazing for a middle class family with no aristocratic connections to have their 2 daughters become duchesses, with one of the two due to be a future Queen.

If only Carole's coal mining relatives were around to see what might happen. Although, I have to say the press paint Carole as some kind of social-climbing scheming mother, which I feel is really unfortunate and says more about those making the accusation than Carole herself.

What is really ironic about the coal mining ancestors is that, being from Durham in the north, they may at some time have worked mines owned by the Dukes of Northumberland and therefore have added to that family's wealth! A lot of their 19th century wealth came from mines on land they owned for centuries.

And now George is looking for geothermal energy in Durham!

He and Pippa do get along very well and have been spending more and more time together. I don't think Carole could coerce him to do so unless it was what he wanted. Maybe he's always been in love with her?

Great point, ladynj! It would certainly be a tale for the grandkids!

I just think the Middletons come across as the kind of parents who want their kids to be happy. I don't think they'd ever say to Pippa, "well your big sister nabbed the future King of England, show us what you can do!".

Great point, ladynj! It would certainly be a tale for the grandkids!

I just think the Middletons come across as the kind of parents who want their kids to be happy. I don't think they'd ever say to Pippa, "well your big sister nabbed the future King of England, show us what you can do!".

On the other hand, if Pippa were to marry Percy, imagine the kind of pressure that would be on James Middleton to find a proper match. I mean, with a future Queen and a future Duchess, the least he can do is marry a Lady. ;)

Eh, being the youngest they'll probably let him off the hook!;)

hahaha - that is so true! Too funny but baby of the family does get less pressure.

Seriously though, I doubt the Middletons want anything more from their children's marriages than someone who treats their child well ... oh, and maybe lots of grandbabies. At least I know that's what I wanted and was very fortunate to get it.

It would certainly be pretty amazing for a middle class family with no aristocratic connections to have their 2 daughters become duchesses, with one of the two due to be a future Queen.

It's happened before, though.
During the Regency there were the beautiful Gunning sisters, who married into the highest aristocracy.

More recently, the two Hanbury sisters were married to the Marquess of Cholmondeley and the Earl of Durham.

It's happened before, though.
During the Regency there were the beautiful Gunning sisters, who married into the highest aristocracy.

More recently, the two Hanbury sisters were married to the Marquess of Cholmondeley and the Earl of Durham.

In former times hey used to say about a young, marriageable girl: a lady born and bred.

Today it's "a lady born or bred" as the Middleton sisters surely had the education of upper class girls.

So, George Percy's mother seems to come as well from middle-class family. Is George's mother of Scottish ethnic background?

Yes she is Scottish, from Edinburgh. She was born Jane Richard, daughter of an Edinburgh stockbroker who became the youngest ever chairman of the Scottish stock exchange. Her grandfather served as a Colonel with the Black Watch during World War I.

She met the current duke when he was a younger son of the 10th Duke when they were both teenagers - it was at a 21st birthday party for his cousin, who would later become the Duke of Buccleuch. They were both very shy but they seemed to fall in love at once. They decided to get married when they were 20 and 21 respectively. There was parental objection because they were so young, but they were determined. Eventually her husband Ralph, who was studying estate management, was asked by his father to manage the Northumberland Estates and live in Northumberland in a Georgian house owned by the family. The fear was that Ralph's elder brother was not up to the job of being a duke and therefore it was set that Ralph would run things even when Harry (the older brother) became duke.

So if Pippa marries the duke she'll be a duchess like her sister. Does that mean she'll be on the same level as Kate? Will Pippa be in line for the throne and all that? Not sure how this works.

Pippa wouldn't be a royal duchess as Kate is, so Kate is of higher rank being an HRH with her husband in line for the throne. Pippa would be "Your Grace." And it would be impossible for Pippa as a result of her would-be marriage to a member of the peerage to inherit the throne.

Last edited:
Baroness of Books said:
Pippa wouldn't be a royal duchess as Kate is, so Kate is of higher rank being an HRH with her husband in line for the throne. Pippa would be "Your Grace." And there's no way Pippa as a result of her marriage would inherit the throne.

Thanks Baroness! What I meant was can George inherit the throne?

You're welcome! George isn't a member of the royal family but of the peerage. If there was any way he factored in the line of succession, he would be way down in order. Too many other royals ahead of him in that scenario!

Last edited:
Thanks Baroness! What I meant was can George inherit the throne?
By law, only legitimate and non-Catholic descendants of Sophie, Electress of Hanover, can ascend to the Throne. George Percy is not a descendant of the Electress, so no, there is absolutely no way he could ever inherit the Throne. What he will inherit in due course is the title of a Duke, as well as multi-million fortune of his father.

Kate and Pippa would not be equal because:
- Kate would still be a Royal Duchess, whereas George Percy belongs to nobility.
- Although he will be a Duke one day, right now George is only an Earl, so Pippa would become a Countess.

That's right, I skipped a step; got ahead of myself there! George Percy is currently an earl, as Artemisia stated, so Pippa's current title if they get married would be countess with the highest rank for her a duchess and no higher. We all know the ranks Kate can achieve via William.

Last edited:
The rank of Duchess is not bad at all for the Middletons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom