Pippa Middleton: May 2011-May 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Loudons , contrary to some opinions on this thread, have shown class

I don't think there's anything classy about thinking that your "breeding" makes you a superior person, and I think anyone that looks down their noses at a nice, smart, kind person because of who their great-grandparents are is someone with no class at all.

Many people have said it very well- commoners aren't always common and nobles certainly aren't always noble. I think the article makes the Loudons look incredibly crass, and like very shallow, silly people. Which is why I agree with Zonk- I think the entire article was made up by the Daily Mail so they can continue to sneer at the Middletons. I can't imagine anyone giving them that information.

My guess is that they had a source who was willing to say something along the lines of "The relationship wasn't forever, it had run it's course, they were never serious about marriage, etc"- something along those lines. And the Mail twisted it to tell the same story they always tell about the Middletons.

I wonder when they'll get tired of it? The whole family has behaved impeccably through many years of a royal relationship and through the engagement and wedding.

You are welcome, and have every right, to your opinion, I just happen to disagree, the Middletons have not got the reputation in the UK for being social climbers for nothing. I think the fact that Pippa was photographed and went away with her ex boyfriend, the heir to a Dukedom, right after her sister's wedding, was a bit much for Alex Loudon to accept.
Had you heard about the Middletons before? I think everyone has, and have heard about them for about 8 years. What about the Loudons, have you ever heard of them? No? Then who is discreet?

This is class?

The Loudons , contrary to some opinions on this thread, have shown class, there are not many families that would show stick to their principles and show relief at their son breaking off from the sister of a future Queen, in other words they will not be bought, and it is true anyone can have an opinion when it comes to Pippa. The Loudons, if the story is true, have their opinion because they know her and not because they like the photographs of the backview of a girl at a wedding.
The royal family can make friends, allow marriages,etc without ever losing the tiniest piece of class, other families not being royal can't afford to do the same.

Like most women I didn't marry the first (or even the 10th) guy I dated. Some of the 'in-laws' I liked, some I didn't. Some of them liked me and considered me worthy of their precious son, some didn't!

I was somewhat well-known during these years, and local gossip articles would occasionally mention my name. But not a single one of those families, not the local aristocracy nor the working class ones, would ever have called up the gossip rag and said, "oh, we're so thankful he didn't marry her, she's not wife material, and we just want to let everyone know we are too classy to accept her into our family."

IMO, anyone who would go to the DM or the Times or Hello and criticize their son's former girlfriend are the very opposite of classy. I don't doubt that they may or may not have thought her to be the right woman for him. But if they let this be known to the general world, well, that's just tacky. I'm willing to assume that the DM put this story together with snips and snails and puppy dog tails. I can't believe that the Loudons would do that, assuming that they are actually as well-bred as it would appear.

I'll bet the Middletons might think Pippa could do better, as well. Bet we don't see that story reported!

Had you heard about the Middletons before? I think everyone has, and have heard about them for about 8 years. What about the Loudons, have you ever heard of them? No? Then who is discreet?

Of course I'd heard about the Middletons. Their daughter was marrying the future King of England. They were reported on in the press constantly because of that, but that is not because they weren't being discreet. They've never given interviews or spoken to the press, and they've quietly ignored all of the gossip and insinuations made about their family- and they've been doing it for a very long time now, since Kate was still at university.

I've never heard about the Loudons because the press has no reason at all to report on them.

I'm sorry but where is the logic to this statement?
Everyone has heard of the middletons, due to Catherine being in a relationship with the future King for the best part of 10 years. Is there a reason we would have heard of the loudons for them to be discreet about? We haven't heard about them because there is no reason for us to have.

I'm sorry but where is the logic to this statement?
Everyone has heard of the middletons, due to Catherine being in a relationship with the future King for the best part of 10 years. Is there a reason we would have heard of the loudons for them to be discreet about? We haven't heard about them because there is no reason for us to have.

Yes, they are the Loudons, not the Loud'uns.

I have just read the link to the Daily Mail article.

The first thing I have noted is that there are no direct quotations directly attributable to the Loudons. Or anyone else, come to that!

Parts of what the article says do ring true in places though: so please can I give a little background information?

First, it seems that the 'Class System' is once again rearing its ugly head! Before I go any further, I would like to qualify my remarks by saying that so far as I am personally concerned, my family brought be up to treat everyone with respect regardless of their 'social background'; indeed, my mother once told me that there are only TWO classes of people: nice people and nasty people'. And, equally importantly, I was taught that I would never go far wrong if I treated everyone how I liked to be treated myself.

That aside, the traditional English class system used to recognise 3 'levels' of class; working class, middle class and of course upper class. It has, however, always been slightly difficult to define 'who fits where' and this is becoming more difficult: one reason of course is 'education and money'. The Middle Class is also often split into 'lower middle class' and 'upper middle class'. Trade used to be looked-down upon, however rich it might have made someone. Money acquired through professional endeavours was regarded as much better.

For want of a better word, 'traditional' working class people were once generally poorly educated and poorly paid: fast forward to the 21st century and more and more people are going to university and so far as money is concerned, many traditionally 'working class' occupations are better paid than some traditional 'middle class' professions. Class in the 21st Century seems somewhat fluid!

Nancy Mitford of course used language as a 'class indicator': hands up anyone here whe has read her essay on 'U and non-U' languge use. ['U' standing for 'upper class]. For example, don't forget how poor old Carol Middleton was lambasted for alledgedly saying 'Pardon', 'Pleased to meet you' and 'Toilet'. [although of course, it later transpired that Mrs Middleton had NEVER said these things...]

Apart from wealth, education and language use, one other 'Class Indicator' is in fact publicity. To the traditional Upper Class, any appearance in newspapers was thought to be the ultimate in vulgarity apart from on 3 occasions: Birth, Marriage and Death, when it was entirely allowable to allow these events [sometimes abbreviated to 'hatch, match and dispatch'] to be announced publically in the broadsheet press. Otherwise: forget it! Photos and articles in the papers of the Boodles Boxing Ball, Front Row at the Tennis, the Launch of Basil's Bar at the Goring Hotel: All totally and unacceptable vulgar to the traditional upper class.

It may therefore be that Alex's parents would regard Pippa's frequent appearances in the papers as vulgar. [apart from 'hatch, match and dispatch above, there was one slight exception to this: I am not sure if anyone here has ever heard of Mrs Betty Kenward; she deserves a little write-up of her own on a suitable thread one day! This lady became regarded as a 'Chronicler of Society' and for 50 years wrote a 'Society Column' in one of the English glossy magazines. She was a confidante of the Royal Family: indeed, one of the reasons for the cessation of Court Presentations was the information about the various abuses of this practice that Mrs Kenward disclosed to the Courtiers. To be mentioned in one of Mrs Kenward's columns (she wrote about Society and Royal Events) was regarded as acceptable social publicity - an exception to the 'hatch, match etc' rule.]

Thus, regardless of whether or not all these 'helpful' 'friends' did actually speak to the Daily Mail, my humble opinion is that the remarks attributed to them about the Loudons objecting to 'Pippa's Publicity' do not seem totally wide of the mark to me!!

For what it is worth, and I do not want to stray too far off topic, I do know quite a lot of people who I would describe as being from a traditional upper class background who were quite genuinely horrified at Pippa Middleton's dress at the Royal Wedding. They felt that it was both vulgar in the extreme in the way that it had hugged her figure and also vulgar in that it focused attention away from the bride at the wedding. Although this is really a mattter for another thread, it is also fair to say that many of the 'old guard' disapprove of the Middleton family; there is a certain absurdity in this bearing in mind that Catherine is married to the heir to the throne and the Middletons and most recently Pippa have been guests at Windsor and Balmoral etc. Possibly it says as much about the people who actually made the remarks than about the Middletons themselves, but in my report on Royal Ascot earlier in the year, I mentioned how a good few people in the Royal Enclosure made adverse comments about Carole Middleton's alleged social faux pas - her fake tan, her over-enthusiastic waving from the carriage etc, the unladylike glimpse of her (ill-cut) panties etc etc. As I said, the various unkind remarks directed at the Middletons are both inappropriate and uncalled-for, but the Middleton family does have its detractors and although I have no idea what the Loudons really think, I don't find it beyond the realms of possibility that they would have qualms about Pippa. Although I do not really think that they would stoop low enough to mention this to the DM!

Just my thoughts and not meant to offend,

Alex

Last edited:
I think that what was vulgar about Pippa's dress wasn't the dress or even how she looked in it; what was vulgar was the way the appearance of the young woman's body parts were trumpeted in pictures and through Facebook and so on. Her whole person became reduced to the shape of her bottom, which is ultimately insulting to Pippa. I'm a person who doesn't like cleavage or tight clothes on royal occasions and is rather sensitive to it; and believe me, I wasn't aware of anything improper about Pippa's dress. I thought that she did a very good job of matron of honour.

I have just read the link to the Daily Mail article.

The first thing I have noted is that there are no direct quotations directly attributable to the Loudons. Or anyone else, come to that!

Parts of what the article says do ring true in places though: so please can I give a little background information?

First, it seems that the 'Class System' is once again rearing its ugly head! Before I go any further, I would like to qualify my remarks by saying that so far as I am personally concerned, my family brought be up to treat everyone with respect regardless of their 'social background'; indeed, my mother once told me that there are only TWO classes of people: nice people and nasty people'. And, equally importantly, I was taught that I would never go far wrong if I treated everyone how I liked to be treated myself.

That aside, the traditional English class system used to recognise 3 'levels' of class; working class, middle class and of course upper class. It has, however, always been slightly difficult to define 'who fits where' and this is becoming more difficult: one reason of course is 'education and money'. The Middle Class is also often split into 'lower middle class' and 'upper middle class'. Trade used to be looked-down upon, however rich it might have made someone. Money acquired through professional endeavours was regarded as much better.

For want of a better word, 'traditional' working class people were once generally poorly educated and poorly paid: fast forward to the 21st century and more and more people are going to university and so far as money is concerned, many traditionally 'working class' occupations are better paid than some traditional 'middle class' professions. Class in the 21st Century seems somewhat fluid!

Nancy Mitford of course used language as a 'class indicator': hands up anyone here whe has read her essay on 'U and non-U' languge use. ['U' standing for 'upper class]. For example, don't forget how poor old Carol Middleton was lambasted for alledgedly saying 'Pardon', 'Pleased to meet you' and 'Toilet'. [although of course, it later transpired that Mrs Middleton had NEVER said these things...]

Apart from wealth, education and language use, one other 'Class Indicator' is in fact publicity. To the traditional Upper Class, any appearance in newspapers was thought to be the ultimate in vulgarity apart from on 3 occasions: Birth, Marriage and Death, when it was entirely allowable to allow these events [sometimes abbreviated to 'hatch, match and dispatch'] to be announced publically in the broadsheet press. Otherwise: forget it! Photos and articles in the papers of the Boodles Boxing Ball, Front Row at the Tennis, the Launch of Basil's Bar at the Goring Hotel: All totally and unacceptable vulgar to the traditional upper class.

It may therefore be that Alex's parents would regard Pippa's frequent appearances in the papers as vulgar. [apart from 'hatch, match and dispatch above, there was one slight exception to this: I am not sure if anyone here has ever heard of Mrs Betty Kenward; she deserves a little write-up of her own on a suitable thread one day! This lady became regarded as a 'Chronicler of Society' and for 50 years wrote a 'Society Column' in one of the English glossy magazines. She was a confidante of the Royal Family: indeed, one of the reasons for the cessation of Court Presentations was the information about the various abuses of this practice that Mrs Kenward disclosed to the Courtiers. To be mentioned in one of Mrs Kenward's columns (she wrote about Society and Royal Events) was regarded as acceptable social publicity - an exception to the 'hatch, match etc' rule.]

Thus, regardless of whether or not all these 'helpful' 'friends' did actually speak to the Daily Mail, my humble opinion is that the remarks attributed to them about the Loudons objecting to 'Pippa's Publicity' do not seem totally wide of the mark to me!!

For what it is worth, and I do not want to stray too far off topic, I do know quite a lot of people who I would describe as being from a traditional upper class background who were quite genuinely horrified at Pippa Middleton's dress at the Royal Wedding. They felt that it was both vulgar in the extreme in the way that it had hugged her figure and also vulgar in that it focused attention away from the bride at the wedding. Although this is really a mattter for another thread, it is also fair to say that many of the 'old guard' disapprove of the Middleton family; there is a certain absurdity in this bearing in mind that Catherine is married to the heir to the throne and the Middletons and most recently Pippa have been guests at Windsor and Balmoral etc. Possibly it says as much about the people who actually made the remarks than about the Middletons themselves, but in my report on Royal Ascot earlier in the year, I mentioned how a good few people in the Royal Enclosure made adverse comments about Carole Middleton's alleged social faux pas - her fake tan, her over-enthusiastic waving from the carriage etc, the unladylike glimpse of her (ill-cut) panties etc etc. As I said, the various unkind remarks directed at the Middletons are both inappropriate and uncalled-for, but the Middleton family does have its detractors and although I have no idea what the Loudons really think, I don't find it beyond the realms of possibility that they would have qualms about Pippa. Although I do not really think that they would stoop low enough to mention this to the DM!

Just my thoughts and not meant to offend,

Alex

While I agree with you in general Alex about how some families regard themselves, I do feel that to a certain extent a lot of them are living as if it was still pre 1939. I knew a lot of boys who were from aristocratic or solid county families at school and later at uni who honestly still talked as if it was the days of the Raj. I also knew that many of their families were struggling to pay for the school fees and would not honestly object if their sons managed to marry a girl who could bring enough cash into the family so that they could repair a roof on the family pile or save them from having to sell off a piece of the family heritage. I wonder if these same families would look down on the Bedfords or the Devonshires for opening up their homes and doing the necessary publicity to attract the visitors that pay for the upkeep at Woburn and Chatsworth. I certainly think they wouldn't object to a Russell or a Cavendish marrying into their family because the dukes and duchesses occassionally appear in the press.
The class system certainly still exists in England but sometimes I think it is those that are new to being" U" that are more rigid than those that have been "U" for centuries. Certainly they DM can be terribly snobbish when they write about people.
That being said I certainly remember by grandparents, parents talking about appearing in the papers only when you are born, marry and die.....but when I asked my grandmother about a picture of her arriving at an event in London she just laughed and said you can't always control what other people write about you....and that it was a rather good picture after all.

Nicholas

Last edited:
As always, I agree with everything you say, Nicholas. I am sure that 'Middleton Money' would be very welcome in some aristocrtic circles to shore up the stately pile - thereby, in fact, carrying on the tradition of the 'impoverished aristocrat marrying for money' that was first seen in the emergence of the American Heiresses who came in some number to the UK starting in the later part of the 19th Century.

And let us not forget that the Buckingham Palace Press Office made it clear that the Middletons had offered to contribute to the expenses of the Royal Wedding 'and that the Queen had been pleased to accept'.

I also think your point about the 'new' members of the Upper Class is very well-made! Another indicator of the Upper Class is the fact that often 'they don't care a damn'. A newer member of the Upper Classes often adopts a form of 'over-grand' approach. One of the probably fictious statements attributed to the Queen about the about to be married- Princess Michael [when the latter was apparently acting in a 'too royal manner'] was that HM thought Princess Michael 'far too grand for us'!

And yes, you are right about 'social' publicity. I presume that nowadays, some events are seen to be 'respectable enough to be publicised' and some are felt to be 'a litle bit naff' whoever might be attending.

Of course, we DON'T actually know what the Loudons' real thoughts are. At the end of the day, I am sure that at the very least they would be reassured that Pippa is not going to be a fortune-hunter. As sister of the future queen, her social credentials are impeccable. If the Loudons are upset, then I can only assume it is a matter of degree, based on just a few too many 'public' appearances. And in this regard, I would say that although I do not have a scrap of evidence to support my contention, I just get the feeling that perhaps the Queen will be a bit concerned if she feels that Pippa's slightly raised social profile is a form of cashing-in on her sister's royal status. Just a thought.

Alex

Last edited:
While I agree with you in general Alex about how some families regard themselves, I do feel that to a certain extent a lot of them are living as if it was still pre 1939. I knew a lot of boys who were from aristocratic or solid county families at school and later at uni who honestly still talked as if it was the days of the Raj. I also knew that many of their families were struggling to pay for the school fees and would not honestly object if their sons managed to marry a girl who could bring enough cash into the family so that they could repair a roof on the family pile or save them from having to sell off a piece of the family heritage.

Nicholas

This was true a hundred years ago as well, when many scions of the British nobility wed American heiresses to shore up the family fortune.
(I wonder how many people who sneer at the Middletons have something like this in the family tree?)

:previous:

Just as I have posted, Mirabel - it seems that I beat you to it by about 60 seconds!

Alex

The discussion about the suitability of the Middelton family reminds me of a comment attributed to Queen Victoria when one of her childrren was marrying. I think it was when Prncess Beatrice married Henry of Battenberg which caused negative comments in Germany because of his morganatic background. Her comment was something along the lines of "If the Queen of England decides that someone is good enough to marry her daughter who are they to criticize".

Nicholas

There is no other country where you can experience the old class system as much as in UK,in other countries most people look down on homeless people or individuals who live from social welfare,but in Great Britain it even matters what kind of language you use and what kind of hobbies you have,not to mention a lot of other little things that are highly important to posh,snobbish people who believe they are superior by birth.
When I went to an English boarding school an older woman told me that my English is not bad but I should only use certain expressions if I want to fit in,because that´s important in this environment and if you want to survive socially you need to adapt.Because Carol Middleton´s alleged social faux pas was mentioned earlier,she told me I should never ask for the "toilet" but for the "lavatory" and don´t say "ok" because it´s considered American (=vulgarity!) etc.etc.
Of course there are also nice upper class people & I have experienced that most accomplished men/women who have worked for their money or achieved something in science,art or other subjects don´t need all those titles and snobbish behaviour.I guess it is just used to compensate for lack of intelligence,character or taste and it shows just how shallow they are if they look down on hard-working people like the Middletons.

Very well said. What is "one" to do if followed by the paparazzi (who did not exist when most of these rules came into being)? Does that mean that said person should not show themselves in public?

As to Pippa's dress, I am guessing it would have been preferable had she been dressed in something akin to a 1950 debutante gown, i.e., fitted at the waist with a full skirt and cap sleeves with a high round neckline.

Sounds about right to me. IF that is the case, then so called class or no class these people need to move into at least the latter half of the 20th century and preferably into the first decade of the 21st. Not meaning to be unkind, but really .........

At the same time, I would not put it past the DM in making up much of the comments attributed to the Loudons AND the "close" friends of the couple.

^^^^
Just because one was born into an old aristocratic family does not mean you are brainless, without character or taste or shallow.

It is however true that an Englishman is marked by his accent and how he speaks and going to good schools still counts a lot towards a persons success in most fields.
It is also true that in political life at least there can be cases of reverse snobbery. Both David Cameron and Nick Clegg prefer not to draw attention to their rather "posh" (a non U phrase the DM would use) backgrounds. They both come from families with aristocratic backgrounds and went to rather good schools. Cameron even claimed not to know he descended from William IV which I find hard to believe. Old Labourite Tony Benn gave up his peerage but he still spent his weekends at his family estate once the cameras were off.

I guess you didn´t get my point-I believe that talented,smart,accomplished people don´t have the need to show off they come from a better background or social class because everyone accepts and respects them for what they have done.But some use titles and snobbery to make other people feel they are not good enough for their company.
If I thought that the old aristocratic families "are brainless, without character or taste or shallow", I wouldn´t have joined TRF;-) I was just pointing out some oddities and peculiarities,no need to be offended...

I read this article this morning too. What struck me as interesting is her portrayal as a social climber. Recently a well connected friend of mine had lunch with a group of British reporters who went on and on about how the Middleton's are the most ambitious social climbers England has seen in generations. One reporter even went as far as comparing the Middleton's to the Boleyns. My point is that it probably wasn't the Loudons who came forward .. I believe this is just how the British press views the Middletons. I think in some ways they shower Pippa with media attention because they want to expose those characteristics. For whatever reason, I think the concept of the Middletons as "social climbers" is just a widely held estimation among the press.

The accusations that they are social climbers have been around for a long time. I was always shocked they were together because he was more discreet while she is very social. As for the Middleton family if you want to run in those circles then they should prepare for the press attention that comes with it. After all England is a very class conscious society so someone not from that upper "echelon" hanging around with those types is bound to get people talking.

The accusations that they are social climbers have been around for a long time. I was always shocked they were together because he was more discreet while she is very social. As for the Middleton family if you want to run in those circles then they should prepare for the press attention that comes with it. After all England is a very class conscious society so someone not from that upper "echelon" hanging around with those types is bound to get people talking.

I'm not sure what circles the Middletons "run" in; I believe that they have a set of friends in the country who own racehorses. But at any rate, what circles should they run in?
They are quite likely to become the grandparents of a future Monarch. It may be that they will be sought after by rather grand friends. Are they never allowed to socialize with anyone other than their middle class neighbors?
Other than around the time of the wedding, I really have seen very little of them in the press. They live in a village and run a business, and they can't avoid being photographed when they occasionally attend a function or go to the theater in town.

Perhaps the DM article should be given short shrift, since the Loudons are clearly quite U, and it would be decidedly un-U to make a public remark with attribution to a newspaper, and, in particular, the DM.

Pippa's dress at the wedding was, however, another matter.
While she was likely not aware in advance of the full effect of her dress, it did seem to draw too much attention to itself, and that should have been easy to predict. That, to many observers, was a misstep. However the deed is done and she must bear the consequences: i.e., the good AND the bad...

I hope that the appearance in the Abbey and the resulting publicity and attention she has received will not damage her marital prospects. I rather feel sorry for her...

Pippa's dress at the wedding was, however, another matter.
While she was likely not aware in advance of the full effect of her dress, it did seem to draw too much attention to itself, and that should have been easy to predict. That, to many observers, was a misstep. However the deed is done and she must bear the consequences: i.e., the good AND the bad...

I hope people do remember that Catherine, her sister AND the bride, would have chosen and had the final say on the dress of her Maid of Honour. Pippa would have had little to no say in that regard.

Her chance of marrying well have not diminished due to her bridesmaid dress or even the media's obsession with the younger sister of a future Queen consort. We all know The Daily Mirror is a trash newspaper. Quoting, or even believing what they write is plain ridiculous!

I am SOOOO confused as to why there is even this long of a discussion about it. To be honest, the Loudons probably never even said anything to the Daily Mail. Pippa, in my opinion, still seems like she has some growing up to do. She doesn't wuite seem ready for married life. (No knock against her) AND I wouldn't be so quick to say such terrible things about Alex and his family. I also wouldn't be so quick to jump to Pippa's defense. We don't know any of these people or their true feelings. Just because it is written in a newspaper doesn't make it true. Anyone could have been quoted in the article. She and her boyfriend have REPORTEDLY broken up. This could or could not be true. Why not take everything with a grain of salt and not jump on the bandwagon to have Alex Loudon totally degraded. i personally like quieter, more mature, and discreet men. I wouldn't want someone who was constantly in the spotlight. Call him boring or whatever, but just like there is someone who will live Pippa, there is someone who will love Alex loudon and be better suited for him and his lifestyle. More marriage material for him.

Goodness all this seems to have come from a slim fitting dress no plunging neckline no spilt to the waist just a very nice dress with a slim fitting skirt

I think that what was vulgar about Pippa's dress wasn't the dress or even how she looked in it; what was vulgar was the way the appearance of the young woman's body parts were trumpeted in pictures and through Facebook and so on. Her whole person became reduced to the shape of her bottom, which is ultimately insulting to Pippa. I'm a person who doesn't like cleavage or tight clothes on royal occasions and is rather sensitive to it; and believe me, I wasn't aware of anything improper about Pippa's dress. I thought that she did a very good job of matron of honour.

That's what I think, too. In addition surely at least Camilla has seen the dresses before the service and would have said something if she had minded the matron's dress. On the contrary, I believe it is a decent probability that Pippa's dress was meant to bring something youthful and modern to the otherwise very traditonal wedding. And she looked good with the gaggle of little ones around her.

Last edited:
Her chance of marrying well have not diminished due to her bridesmaid dress or even the media's obsession with the younger sister of a future Queen consort. We all know The Daily Mirror is a trash newspaper. Quoting, or even believing what they write is plain ridiculous!

I re-watched the most recent Pride and Prejudice movie this weekend - this sounds so much like a quote from it :ROFLMAO:

What fascinates me is that Catherine, Carole and now Pippa are often in the tabloid cross hairs, whereas Michael has never been and James has only been dinged a time or two. The tabloids don't know anything about the Middletons because they and their friends won't stoop to that level, yet they have created a whole personality, attributing motives and desires to them, etc.. Likewise, I don't believe that Alex or his family would have suggested anything negative about Pippa, I assume they are well versed in appropriate behavior, and commenting negatively about a former flame is not something a gentleman would ever do. I attribute it to writers w/ over active imaginations and papers to sell.

There seems to be a cultural difference in attitudes here. In the US (and some other countries) a person gains respect and deference when they become "millionaires" even to the point to be named "US royalty", I have no objection to this at all, it is the US and the values are different but, even though things are changing there is still a tradition in the UK and it will take a few more generations to change.
As Diarist said these traditions were very well portrayed in Nancy Mitford's book where the epithet "U" and the other "Non-U" were coined.
Being traditional does not mean the people are snobbish or not very pleasant people at all. These attitudes seem to be mainly confined to the nouveaux riches. Nowadays regional accents are well accepted but not long ago they weren't, there is something comforting and familiar about hearing your own particular version. I still shudder (but keep it well hidden I hope) when I hear someone who is an English native speaker say "forehead", "clandestine" and the more commonly heard "says". It is not my fault it is the way I was brought up.
Pippa and her siblings would speak perfectly as they went to schools where the slightest deviation from accepted terms and speech would be frowned on.
I remember at school one particular teacher that was always correcting me for my pronunciation of "just" it was only years later that I found out that she was wrong and my grandmother was right.
Does anyone remember the travel documentaries by Clive James? I particularly remember when he spent a day with a lady belonging to the super rich circle in Dallas when she explained her life to him, her charity work and how the really rich rich lived in Dallas and at a certain point she told him about the difference between old money and the new "oil" money and how the two didn't mix, so there was what I would describe as snobbishness even in some parts of the US.
I too, doubt the Loudons confided their thoughts to newpapers but perhaps someone not as discreet knew their reservations about their son's marriage to Pippa. In commentaries written under articles about her, in the admittedly very low class DM, Pippa is criticized and accused of courting publicity, as were her brother and her family before the royal marriage. The person who marries Pippa will marry someone with money, a sister who God Willing, will be a Queen Consort and will hobnob for sure with royalty, and get an attractive girl to boot. If Alex broke up with her then he was sure to have very good personal reasons.

I don't really see how Pippa is said to be courting the attention; is it just because she keeps smiling and doesn't scowl or swear at the reporters?
Really, as Zonk said, I doubt if she calls them up to let them know she'll be getting coffee.

And many of the so-called news stories are the equivalent of Pippa walks around in public.
Short of becoming a hermit in a cave somewhere, I really don't see what she can do to discourage this sort of thing.
Even if she could, I don't believe she should!

Considering the attention given to Pippa by the paparazzi I think she has been behaving with class and style. She goes about her life with a smile on her face. No hiding behind bags or umbrellas. She is a pretty and sporty young woman who is the sister-in-law with the second in line to the crown. She will find a suitable man to marry (if that is what she wants at this point in her life) who appreciates who she is.

The question whether she comes from a suitable family is probably only an issue for families considering themselves too good for her. I doubt most of those families have easy access to the royal weekend and vacation castles. Pippa will have access to whatever places her cherished sister spends time at.

So a generation or so into the future Pippa will be closer to the throne than most of the families that now may turn up their noses at her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom