Pippa and James Matthews and Family 1: May 2017 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate and Pippa Middleton go for Wimbledon whites with a twist as they watch Federer's battle for eighth title - Mirror Online

Scroll down a little to see Pippa's dress today at Wimbledon...very pretty./QUOTE]

Both dresses are very pretty. I would happily wear either one of them. I don't understand why the Mirror describes Kate's dress as "tennis white" since no player could every wear all that color at Wimbledon. And, anyway, it's a colorful sundress and doesn't look tennisey at all.

Also, they say Carole and Pippa were seated with the "punters." What does "punter" mean? I'm assuming it's derogatory. (In America, a punter is someone on the football team who kicks the ball for three points. A VERY important member of the team, in fact.)

Evidently I've got to watch what I say because I've been sent yet another "private message" telling me my post has been deleted. I can't seem to get into the message to find out what post or why. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother coming here. Everything seems so arbitrary. I'm an American and used to speaking my mind. That's not allowed here, evidently.

:previous: I have never heard of the term 'punter' either before but I looked it up and it apparently means "a person who makes a risky investment". It's the Daily Fail, so such language is expected!

Pippa's dress is pretty but a little too ruffly for me. Just the ruffles around the hem would have been fine.

Punter is a person who bets. Where the Middletons were seating aren't the cheap seats. They weren't sitting outside on the hill watching on the big screen

Punter is a person who bets. Where the Middletons were seating aren't the cheap seats. They weren't sitting outside on the hill watching on the big screen

"A person who bets"?? It's even more confusing to me now.:bang:

I know the seats Carole and Pippa were in were not cheap. I've been at the Slam in New York and had to sit out in the yard and watch the match on the big screen, so I know what Slam tickets cost and they ain't cheap. The Daily Fail is, as usual, trying to make them look bad. They know perfectly well that getting into the royal box is not a given, even if your relative is married to a Prince. And can you imagine what the Fail would write if Carole and Pippa did have a seat in the royal box every day they were at the tournament? It would be anarchy.

You can place a wager on almost anything in the U.K. It's not like the US. So a person could place a wager on a Royal baby name, the color of the Queen's outfit at Ascot or Wimbledon. A punter is another word for gambler.

I know the seats Carole and Pippa were in were not cheap. I've been at the Slam in New York and had to sit out in the yard and watch the match on the big screen, so I know what Slam tickets cost and they ain't cheap. The Daily Fail is, as usual, trying to make them look bad. They know perfectly well that getting into the royal box is not a given, even if your relative is married to a Prince. And can you imagine what the Fail would write if Carole and Pippa did have a seat in the royal box every day they were at the tournament? It would be anarchy.

Middletons' seats were fantastic.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/07/17/00/4265AC1500000578-4700854-image-a-90_1500246783555.jpg

I've heard punter also means client or customer.
So maybe the article means they had to be paying customers rather than someone invited to sit in the royal box.

That would be my guess, anyway. :flowers:

Last edited:
I wonder if she routinely dresses like that, or if she does it because she knows she'll be in the papers?

I wonder if she routinely dresses like that, or if she does it because she knows she'll be in the papers?

It was a pretty basic ensemble, the kind of thing I would wear to work. Why wouldn't basic black pants and top with a white cardigan and flats be part of her routine?

It looks like a very ordinary outfit to me. Throw a stone in the central parts of the town I live in and its bound to hit someone dressed in that kind of style.

I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of jeans and sneakers to go bicycling.

I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of jeans and sneakers to go bicycling.

But she wasn't just "bicycling," according to the story, she was running errands. And she was wearing black jeans, what looks like a basic black tee and a jacket. Pretty ordinary, though very chic look, to me. She looks good. I think if she were really dressing for the paps she maybe would not have worn a helmet because of "hat hair" when she took it off. But she didn't seem to care about that.

P.S.: I don't know if wearing a helmet is required by law in London but I have seen many adults riding bikes without wearing one. Donna Air, for example, a few months back.

P.S.: I don't know if wearing a helmet is required by law in London but I have seen many adults riding bikes without wearing one. Donna Air, for example, a few months back.

No, there is no law. Of course it depends where you use your bike. Pippa looks like doing a short trip on quiet streets with a shopping basket on her bike, I wouldn't wear a helmet to be honest.
But commuting to the office on busy streets is a dangerous thing, so I guess most people wear helmets then and have different kinds of bikes, faster ones.

Pippa's outfit is great! Stylish and comfy.

It was a pretty basic ensemble, the kind of thing I would wear to work. Why wouldn't basic black pants and top with a white cardigan and flats be part of her routine?

I agree - I would wear what Pippa is wearing in formal environments too. You'll find a lot of people in London offices dressed like Pippa is here, and some will be more formal than her.

She probably would if she was going on a long ride for exercise. This looked more like city commuting and errand running.

Very cute outfit and perfect for whatever she is doing, this is something I wear all the time walking my dog or should say when I push the buggie that my dog rides in...:lol:.......simple, clean cut and classy.

Cute outfit. Perfect for running errands :flowers:

Not what I'd pick for riding, but because for me riding is about exercise. Don't come from an area where biking for errands and such is common. Different mind set I guess.

Did you notice they call her Pippa Matthews?
And her sister is calld DoC.
Did Pippa have to marry to finally drop the 'née Kate Middleton'?

Good dogs. August is slow for social news in London. ;)

Poor Pippa. Girl can't even walk the dogs without an essay from the Daily Fail. Well, at least they didn't show her picking up dog poo.:bang:

I don't think she came prepared for that eventuality, unless the pooper scooper is in her bag.

I don't think she came prepared for that eventuality, unless the pooper scooper is in her bag.

Don't you HAVE TO pick up dog poo if you are walking your dog? You do in the States or you suffer a very large fine . . . if caught. And, believe me, in large cities like NY or LA, someone will tell on you or take pics on their phones. Everybody, rich or poor, picks up after their doggies. That's why I have a cat.:lol:

Yes, you have to pick after your dog (especially if you're being followed by paparazzi and your photos will be everywhere). I have never seen anyone carry a pooper-scooper on a city walk, you take a dog poop bag (which fits in your pocket or purse).

And there, folks, is the scoop on the poop. :D

Sorry.... couldn't resist this one. ?

:previous:

I read that dog owners aren't obliged to pick up after their dogs in Paris, which is the reason the city is getting so dirty.

:previous:

I read that dog owners aren't obliged to pick up after their dogs in Paris, which is the reason the city is getting so dirty.

Yeah. Real shame about Paris. For awhile they had immigrants cleaning the streets but now, Paris seems a bit on the dirty side. I was amazed the last time I was there. Too bad, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom