The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-30-2018, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I don't have much to comment other than to echo others: this is bad - taken to the max - indeed. I wonder though why this wasn't dealt with when it actually took place, it seems a little bit of a slow investigation...

I hope that this news doesn't affect Pippa and her husband. For Pippa's sake I hope the media will be reporting separately about her sightings and not lumping her in with her father-in-law.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-30-2018, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It’s bad for Mr. Matthews. Not anyone else.
Absolutely. I feel awful for the victim.

Hopefully the media doesn't do their usual and try to use this to attack Pippa, the Middleton or Cambridges. We know how they love to use others to trash a royal.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I don't have much to comment other than to echo others: this is bad - taken to the max - indeed. I wonder though why this wasn't dealt with when it actually took place, it seems a little bit of a slow investigation...

I hope that this news doesn't affect Pippa and her husband. For Pippa's sake I hope the media will be reporting separately about her sightings and not lumping her in with her father-in-law.
Oh, I'm sure the media will rabidly link Pippa to the incident even though she hadn't even met Mr. Matthews until years after. It would be like linking Jack Brooksbank to the allegations against Andrew. So it will affect Pippa publicly, but I'm sure privately it will affect James and Spencer and their sister much more. That's their father they've known all their lives, where as Pippa might be fond of him but I doubt her emotional connection to him is all that deep considering she's been married less than a year and her in-laws spend a good chunk of their time overseas.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Oh, I'm sure the media will rabidly link Pippa to the incident even though she hadn't even met Mr. Matthews until years after. I would be like linking Jack Brooksbank to the allegations against Andrew. So it will affect Pippa publicly, but I'm sure privately it will affect James and Spencer and their sister much more. That's their father they've known all their lives, where as Pippa might be fond of him but I doubt her emotional connection to him is all that deep considering she's been married less than a year and her in-laws spend a good chunk of their time overseas.
Yes, so I'm hoping the media will be a bit more quiet on Pippa's front. Living in Britain and thus having frequent access to British newspapers I know what our media are like, they can be really brutal, especially when incidents like this happen.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:23 PM
Majesty

Vain hope. The tabloids will be all over this like flies on sandwiches, sending journalists to France, playing this up for all its worth.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Vain hope. The tabloids will be all over this like flies on sandwiches, sending journalists to France, playing this up for all its worth.
Hm, a bit confused about how a simple hope of mine can be described as "vain"? I'm simply hoping the best for Pippa whilst being fully aware of how the media will act. That's all.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Hm, a bit confused about how a simple hope of mine can be described as "vain"? I'm simply hoping the best for Pippa whilst being fully aware of how the media will act. That's all.
I think in this case "vain" was meant to mean "ineffectual" rather than "conceited" (the other definition).

Vain | Define Vain at Dictionary.com
Old 03-30-2018, 05:34 PM
Majesty

I was using vain in its lesser known sense of 'forlorn hope'.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:38 PM
Serene Highness

And considering how the media operates, it was the perfect word! The media won't ignore this story!
Old 03-30-2018, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I was using vain in its lesser known sense of 'forlorn hope'.

Ah OK, thank you for confirming. I must admit that I’ve never heard “vain” being used in this context, hence my confusion.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Pippa and James Matthews: May 2017 -

If the media won’t ignore this story how about we do ? Not a royal
Old 03-30-2018, 07:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Ah OK, thank you for confirming. I must admit that I’ve never heard “vain” being used in this context, hence my confusion.
Reminds me of my childhood days when my younger brother always sang "How Great Thou Aren't" because he wasn't familiar with the archaic use of the word art.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

It will be hard to prove anything after so much time has elapsed.
Even if he is cleared, this kind of thing will always tarnish his reputation.

As for not affecting Pippa, I think the press only cares about this because of Pippa!
Old 03-30-2018, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

He stands accused, not convicted. He is denying the accusations.

This public shaming stuff is so destructive. I have seen it take place up close. Nasty business.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:06 PM
Serene Highness

Oh this is so awful. I feel for the victim and their family, but also for the Matthews Family. Learning your father (or father in law) is allegedly capable of such depravity is truly devastating. Watched a very dear friend go through this with her father and it wrecked their family and their lives for many years.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

So he was arrested and charged, but they have six months to decide if it will go to court Is it just me, or don't they usually wait to make an arrest until they are sure there is enough evidence to go to court??? Seems a lot to put him and his family through, if it ends up there I not enough proof. Even if proven innocent, this will never go away. Thanks to both Pippa and his son Spencer, it is bigger news then for most.

He was arrested at the airport? Did he go to France to surrender himself, or was he arrested suddenly on arrival?

I really do hope this is settled in as much as peace as possible. Not just for the family, but the suggested victim as well.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:16 PM
Majesty

Accusations against Mrs Pippa Matthews' father-in-law are appalling, but not surprising. The upper crust in the enlightened British regime has been accused of similar crimes.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Why 'not surprising'?

I hate this 'trial by media'. How many times has the accused, in such cases, where the media has decided on their guilt later been found 'not guilty' but the mud sticks. Many, many times.

I am more and more convinced that the accused person's name should not be allowed to be released until they are convicted as it seems that just naming a person is enough for many people to believe them guilty. How a person can get a fair trial in these circumstances I wonder.

An allegation is not a conviction but for some people that is all that is needed.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
So he was arrested and charged, but they have six months to decide if it will go to court Is it just me, or don't they usually wait to make an arrest until they are sure there is enough evidence to go to court??? Seems a lot to put him and his family through, if it ends up there I not enough proof. Even if proven innocent, this will never go away. Thanks to both Pippa and his son Spencer, it is bigger news then for most.

He was arrested at the airport? Did he go to France to surrender himself, or was he arrested suddenly on arrival?

I really do hope this is settled in as much as peace as possible. Not just for the family, but the suggested victim as well.
He went to France on a visit. No expectation apparently.

general comment - Apart from the acceptance of innocent until proven guilty, individuals should be very careful of what they write.

I think this subject needs v careful moderation.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-30-2018, 10:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Why 'not surprising'?

I hate this 'trial by media'. How many times has the accused, in such cases, where the media has decided on their guilt later been found 'not guilty' but the mud sticks. Many, many times.

I am more and more convinced that the accused person's name should not be allowed to be released until they are convicted as it seems that just naming a person is enough for many people to believe them guilty. How a person can get a fair trial in these circumstances I wonder.

An allegation is not a conviction but for some people that is all that is needed.
Agree with yr comment re anonymity.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,