Pippa and James Matthews and Family 1: May 2017 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Well, I hope the Matthews family privacy is respected during this whole ordeal.

This is not good press. Not good at all.

Wow! Well, I hope the Matthews family privacy is respected during this whole ordeal.

Eeeer not a single chance.
It's "Pippa Middleton" who is trending right now, not "David Matthews". and the "A relative is said to have reported him to the police" isn't helping either.
Just wait for the Cambridges to be dragged in this sordid story by some press...

BREAKING NEWS: Pippa Middleton's father-in-law is charged with rape of a child | Daily Mail Online

The multi-millionaire father-in-law of Pippa Middleton was in custody in Paris tonight accused of raping a child.

David Matthews, 73, is said to have carried out the attack between 1998 and 1999, while on holiday in France.

A relative is said to have reported him to the police, leading to Matthews reporting to judges in the French capital on Tuesday.

Citing legal sources, French national news agency AFP said Matthews had now been charged with the ‘rape of a minor by a person with authority over his victim’.

Matthews is the father of James Matthews, 41, who is married to Pippa, the 34-year-old sister of Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, who is married to Prince William.

This person must have been incredibly young since France had a very, very low age of consent until just recently, like 12 or under. Unless the sticking point is "person of authority over victim", then we could be looking at someone older, maybe a relative?, who else would you have a position of authority over while on vacation?

But if true, it sad it's taken so long to prosecute. As the years pass it's get's harder for the police to build a case unless evidence was saved. It will probably be an uphill battle for this young man/woman.

And on a petty note, I'm not sure why the DM has styled Catherine as a widow/divorcee. They're either incompetent or they're very pessimistic about the Cambridge marriage.

This person must have been incredibly young since France had a very, very low age of consent until just recently, like 12 or under. Unless the sticking point is "person of authority over victim", then we could be looking at someone older, maybe a relative?, who else would you have a position of authority over while on vacation?

But if true, it sad it's taken so long to prosecute. As the years pass it's get's harder for the police to build a case unless evidence was saved. It will probably be an uphill battle for this young man/woman.

And on a petty note, I'm not sure why the DM has styled Catherine as a widow/divorcee. They're either incompetent or they're very pessimistic about the Cambridge marriage.

The age of consent in France is 15 since 1945, and it will remain as such after some discussions to lower it to 13.

Last edited:
The age of consent in France is 15 ...
Okay, you're French so I'll take your lead, but you rarely see prosecuting cases unless the victim is under 13. At least from an international standpoint, maybe it's more frequent locally. If this victim isn't a relative, I bet he/she will have been a child during the incident.

Last edited:
It’s bad for Mr. Matthews. Not anyone else.

Okay, you're French so I'll take your lead, but you rarely see prosecuting cases unless the victim is under 13. At least from an international standpoint, maybe it's more frequent locally. If this victim isn't a relative, I bet he/she will have been a child during the incident.

True, the main point in the case is that the child was under the authority of the accused ...

I don't have much to comment other than to echo others: this is bad - taken to the max - indeed. I wonder though why this wasn't dealt with when it actually took place, it seems a little bit of a slow investigation...

I hope that this news doesn't affect Pippa and her husband. For Pippa's sake I hope the media will be reporting separately about her sightings and not lumping her in with her father-in-law.

It’s bad for Mr. Matthews. Not anyone else.

Absolutely. I feel awful for the victim.

Hopefully the media doesn't do their usual and try to use this to attack Pippa, the Middleton or Cambridges. We know how they love to use others to trash a royal.

I don't have much to comment other than to echo others: this is bad - taken to the max - indeed. I wonder though why this wasn't dealt with when it actually took place, it seems a little bit of a slow investigation...

I hope that this news doesn't affect Pippa and her husband. For Pippa's sake I hope the media will be reporting separately about her sightings and not lumping her in with her father-in-law.

Oh, I'm sure the media will rabidly link Pippa to the incident even though she hadn't even met Mr. Matthews until years after. It would be like linking Jack Brooksbank to the allegations against Andrew. So it will affect Pippa publicly, but I'm sure privately it will affect James and Spencer and their sister much more. That's their father they've known all their lives, where as Pippa might be fond of him but I doubt her emotional connection to him is all that deep considering she's been married less than a year and her in-laws spend a good chunk of their time overseas.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm sure the media will rabidly link Pippa to the incident even though she hadn't even met Mr. Matthews until years after. I would be like linking Jack Brooksbank to the allegations against Andrew. So it will affect Pippa publicly, but I'm sure privately it will affect James and Spencer and their sister much more. That's their father they've known all their lives, where as Pippa might be fond of him but I doubt her emotional connection to him is all that deep considering she's been married less than a year and her in-laws spend a good chunk of their time overseas.

Yes, so I'm hoping the media will be a bit more quiet on Pippa's front. Living in Britain and thus having frequent access to British newspapers I know what our media are like, they can be really brutal, especially when incidents like this happen.

Vain hope. The tabloids will be all over this like flies on sandwiches, sending journalists to France, playing this up for all its worth.

Vain hope. The tabloids will be all over this like flies on sandwiches, sending journalists to France, playing this up for all its worth.

Hm, a bit confused about how a simple hope of mine can be described as "vain"? I'm simply hoping the best for Pippa whilst being fully aware of how the media will act. That's all.

I was using vain in its lesser known sense of 'forlorn hope'.:flowers:

:previous: And considering how the media operates, it was the perfect word! The media won't ignore this story!

Ah OK, thank you for confirming. I must admit that I’ve never heard “vain” being used in this context, hence my confusion.

Reminds me of my childhood days when my younger brother always sang "How Great Thou Aren't" because he wasn't familiar with the archaic use of the word art. ?

It will be hard to prove anything after so much time has elapsed.
Even if he is cleared, this kind of thing will always tarnish his reputation.

As for not affecting Pippa, I think the press only cares about this because of Pippa!

He stands accused, not convicted. :huh: He is denying the accusations.

This public shaming stuff is so destructive. I have seen it take place up close. Nasty business. :sad:

Last edited:
Oh this is so awful. I feel for the victim and their family, but also for the Matthews Family. Learning your father (or father in law) is allegedly capable of such depravity is truly devastating. Watched a very dear friend go through this with her father and it wrecked their family and their lives for many years.

So he was arrested and charged, but they have six months to decide if it will go to court :ermm: Is it just me, or don't they usually wait to make an arrest until they are sure there is enough evidence to go to court??? Seems a lot to put him and his family through, if it ends up there I not enough proof. Even if proven innocent, this will never go away. Thanks to both Pippa and his son Spencer, it is bigger news then for most.

He was arrested at the airport? Did he go to France to surrender himself, or was he arrested suddenly on arrival?

I really do hope this is settled in as much as peace as possible. Not just for the family, but the suggested victim as well.

Accusations against Mrs Pippa Matthews' father-in-law are appalling, but not surprising. The upper crust in the enlightened British regime has been accused of similar crimes.

Last edited:
Why 'not surprising'?

I hate this 'trial by media'. How many times has the accused, in such cases, where the media has decided on their guilt later been found 'not guilty' but the mud sticks. Many, many times.

I am more and more convinced that the accused person's name should not be allowed to be released until they are convicted as it seems that just naming a person is enough for many people to believe them guilty. How a person can get a fair trial in these circumstances I wonder.

An allegation is not a conviction but for some people that is all that is needed.

So he was arrested and charged, but they have six months to decide if it will go to court :ermm: Is it just me, or don't they usually wait to make an arrest until they are sure there is enough evidence to go to court??? Seems a lot to put him and his family through, if it ends up there I not enough proof. Even if proven innocent, this will never go away. Thanks to both Pippa and his son Spencer, it is bigger news then for most.

He was arrested at the airport? Did he go to France to surrender himself, or was he arrested suddenly on arrival?

I really do hope this is settled in as much as peace as possible. Not just for the family, but the suggested victim as well.

He went to France on a visit. No expectation apparently.

general comment - Apart from the acceptance of innocent until proven guilty, individuals should be very careful of what they write.

I think this subject needs v careful moderation.

Why 'not surprising'?

I hate this 'trial by media'. How many times has the accused, in such cases, where the media has decided on their guilt later been found 'not guilty' but the mud sticks. Many, many times.

I am more and more convinced that the accused person's name should not be allowed to be released until they are convicted as it seems that just naming a person is enough for many people to believe them guilty. How a person can get a fair trial in these circumstances I wonder.

An allegation is not a conviction but for some people that is all that is needed.

Agree with yr comment re anonymity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom