Official Portraits of the Duke and/or Duchess of Cambridge and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The portrait is quite well done, however, the expression on her face makes her look like she is trying to get through an attack of morning sickness without letting it show. Nevertheless, she demonstrated grace and kindness in her reaction to the portrait and that's what really matters.

I'm starting to feel a little sorry for this artist. I did not like the portrait myself, and said so. Apparently, it's very difficult to capture a subject by paint - it's not a photograph.

I have no issue with art critics panning him - that's part of the business and the artist must have a thick enough skin to deal with it. But making fun of this portrait has gone positively viral (and some of it is quite funny). It seems that anything about Will and Kate (those photos, the DJ hoax) goes immediately viral. The public's obsession with these two is becoming absolutely toxic. Did we learn nothing from Diana? From the nurse last month? I'm starting to wonder whether this kind of notoriety will mean that this poor man never works again. :sad: Not that I haven't taken my own shots at this portrait; I'm part of the public obsession that has become toxic. Perhaps it started toxic with Diana and has just been laying dormant. With all of this stuff swirling around them, how can Will and Kate ever settle down and raise their family and keep sane in general? Kate's emotions and sensitivities are already on overdrive right now - how do you handle all this even when she can understand that on an intellectual level none of this toxicity was caused by HER, or Will for that matter? I'm starting to get a little worried about her and about anyone who "crosses" them. It's an insanity I've never seen before - Diana had the benefit of living her life before the internet truly took off.

All I'm saying is, I hope this poor guy is well and laughing it off, and it brings him more success than ever. And I hope Kate and Will aren't thinking about this either.
Well stated Gracie. :flowers: Diana was fortunate that the internet was just in its infancy when she died. She'd still be dealing with the insanity but on a much larger scale.

IMHO other royals ie: Princess Caroline, Prince W-A and Princess Maxima have been trying to set a precedence for how their personal and family life will be followed by the media. The other royals were witnesses to Diana's life and struggles with the media and it has likely influenced their decisions regarding "media codes." I wouldn't doubt that Cambridges have their sympathy and support when it comes to the frenzy regarding her pregnancy.

So because people don't like this portrait and state it is ugly we are somehow on the same level as the DJs who lied to an innocent woman or the photographers who chased Diana to her death? Are we supposed to lie and say something is good when it's not? This artist took on the job of painting the most famous woman in the world as of right now and in the opinions of many he did a bad job. Why should we lie about his work? To make him feel better? If Sarah Burton had screwed up Kate's wedding dress no one would hesitate to call her on it. I do not see any connection between what happened to the nurse and this situation. The nurse was a private person who was thrust into a situation she was not prepared for nor asked for; this artist accepted the task of paining Kate and he should accept opinions regarding his work.

I have decided that I like the portrait. I have also decided that as the likeness was snapped, Kate was thinking something along the lines of "William forgot to take the trash to the curb last night. I had to run it out to the curb this AM in my robe and slippers before the collectors came. I'll get him back for that, just wait and see." It is supposed to be the personal rather than the public Kate, after all. :lol:

I am late to the topic, the portait looks ok to me, its pretty dark though. My only point is that is shows Kate in her 50ies, not sure if this was the artist's intention.

I am late to the topic, the portait looks ok to me, its pretty dark though. My only point is that is shows Kate in her 50ies, not sure if this was the artist's intention.
She really looks older in the portrait but I don't think it was the artist's intention:flowers:

She really looks older in the portrait but I don't think it was the artist's intention:flowers:

In 100 years, people will think she looks young. :)

I like the portraits where Kate's in half profile and not looking directly outward.

catherine look so beautiful in the presentation of the portrait! she look a lot better

Number 6 shows that it can have a dark background, be very realistic, and still be beautiful. The original is a bit of a disappointment, at least in the photos.

The ones by David and Allan are fantastic, the anonymous one is good as well.

Duchess looks like a wax figure

I was really anticipating seeing this new portrait, and at first glance, I thought it was a wax figure! The dark blue background, the dark blue dress, the hair-colour and eye-colour tampered with, the wrinkles exaggerated, and the smirky Mona Lisa smile when the Duchess has such an engaging full smile, all made me quickly look away and hope they change it somehow!

:previous:
Poor baby. Artists need to grow thick skins in order to survive. Maybe he will do a better job the next time someone commissions him to paint their portrait.

Last edited:
He has a point. The Trolls out there - and some journalists - made the attacks personal to him, and not the painting.

IT is happening more and more often in the UK. Makes me sick.

I don't like the amount of abuse leveled at this painter, either. It's gotten too personal and vicious.

Last edited:
:previous:
Poor baby. Artists need to grow thick skins in order to survive. Maybe he will do a better job the next time someone commissions him to paint their portrait.

He has thick skin and he expected some criticism but the criticism he received over this painting really was over the top and it did turn personal.

The Duchess looks 50 in this portrait? You obviously have a different idea of 50 yo women than I (speaking as a 52 yo woman). I think that it is a nice, relatively realistic image of a 30 year old. She looks no older than my 28 -30 yo nieces.

Have we all become so used to photos in magazines touched up to within an inch of their existence, that we've forgotten what 20yo, 30yo and 40yo looks like in truth?

Last edited:
I don't like the amount of abuse leveled at this painter, either. It's gotten too personal and vicious.

This sort of thing would disuade any other potential portrait-of-Catherine painters out there.

I myself thought it was painted beautifully, and looked very much like her; and speaking as an artist myself who has painted portraits, that's very hard to do. Some of The Queen's portraits over the years didn't really look like her. I'm sure he painted to his very best standard and ability, and that's all we can ask of anyone.

Have we all become so used to photos in magazines touched up to within an inch of their existence, that we've forgotten what 20yo, 30yo and 40yo looks like in truth?

So true. I remember even in the Diana days, the whites of her eyes on magazine covers would be brightened and the slightest blemish removed (as could be seen with other versions of the same photo).

Then again, I think when you are a good artist, leader or whatever, you will invite criticism. I think Paul is doing a great thing by being strong and standing by his work. I think Catherine and William loved the painting and I think their satisfaction was very important to Paul and NPG.

There was a better example than that has stuck with me becausecthe touching up was so extreme. Way back when Prince Edward was married, 2 different magazines carried the same coloured photo on their jackets. In one magazine, the Countess had a fine smattering of freckles, on the other she didn't. Same photo, one copy almost natural, the other very artificial.

Re Diana and the Duchess of York. In the 80s, there was a sketch comedy programme here. One of the skits used to be about the editor and art editor of a fictitious women's magazine and how they were going to manipulate the image of the celeb of the week. Make Diana taller and slimmer, and Sarah shorter etc.

Hopefully the next person who actually paints a portrait of Kate will actually do a good job. I'm so tired of defenders of this mans bad work trying to make out that the only reason people dislike the photo is because it's not a picture. There have been much better portraits of other royals that looked fantastic, one that immediately comes to mind is one of Princess Mary.

I'm confused. Is it a painting or a photo? Also Xenia, art, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. FTR, an image reproduced on a medium e.g. canvas, paper etc by definition is a picture.

Last edited:
And here comes ten never ending comment "beauty is I the eye of the beholder" trying to stop those who don't find something beautiful from having an opinion. Well this beholder thinks Kate is pretty and her portrait is a travesty.
Good gracious this board is full of people commenting on every aspect of Kate and every other royal lady; from her clothes to her hair to her wedding veil. Has it ever crossed the minds of those defending this portrait that some people just simply don't like it and it has nothing to do with photoshop magazine pictures etc.
The best portrait I have seen is of Princess Mary of Denmark in the blue dress. Not a photo but a portrait like Kate's only much better done. I'd post a photo but I'd prob get in trouble plus u've prob already seen it.

Last edited:
I don't like that portrait - it has a mean expression in the face - My dislike has nothing to do with 'blemishes' or looking tired or what ever ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom