Official Portraits of the Duke and/or Duchess of Cambridge and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really did liked the portrait of Catherine ,,, I see this artist is great ,, right that the portrait does not look exactly like Catherine ,, and she looks bit older than her age in this portrait ,, but I see it an amazing one ,,, when I focused into it ,, I found it really great ,,, her eyes looks like real !!!! .

I suspect she's being diplomatic and gracious, because really, this one needs to go into a closet at the National Gallery and never be seen again. It reminds of me those age-progressed photographs of people who have been missing a long time. And I doubt she asked the artist to show her how she'd look 20 years in the future.

Have you been to the NPG? If you think this belongs in the closet, then I advise you never to make a visit to the NPG while in London, you may die of shock.

Yeah, they haven't so far done any public engagements. I'm guessing those are now scheduled.

I hope everyone noticed that Catherine wore the Saudi Sapphire Earrings for her official portrait. I think she really like the Saudian Arabian Jewels that's been passed down to her.

Last edited:
I think the Duchess is a good sport, I wouldn't accept the painting.

In my opinion:

There is too much space between eyebrows and that make her face look wrong.

The under eye wrinkles make Catherine look like she is about 40 years of age.

I would like more twinkle in her eyes to go with her smile.

Are there any royal portraits that have been universally loved, (or even well thought of by a solid majority of the public)? It seems like every time a new portrait is unveiled a bunch of people hate it. It's interesting to me because, as someone who knows pretty much nothing about art, my instinct would be that portraiture would be one of the easier painting forms to get right, so to speak.

I think there is one - William and Harry. It is outstanding - and IMO what makes it special is the senseof their relationship. In case you've forgotten

Historic dual portrait of Prince William and Prince Harry unveiled at National Portrait Gallery | Mail Online

Re sittings - the wonderful painting of the Queen for her Jubilee - where she is standing alone in Westminster Abbey - the artist had 1 hour sitting!

And finally, off topic, I need new glasses. I looked quickly at the list of threads and thought it said "Princess Anne expecting third child" - I'm now over the shock and relaise its Princess Aimee.

Obviously an art critic will view the painting differently than Catherines fan base will view it. For some fans anything even remotely associated with her becomes perfect, untouchable, without par, absolutely wonderful in every way and beyond criticism. An art critics job is in fact to critique and criticize the painting as a painting, which is not a criticism of the subject of the painting itself, merely an opinion on its artistic success.

The more I think about it, this portrait does show a THINKING Kate. A thoughtful Kate. A Kate who may actually be 40 years of age in her mental experience. Not just a model.
I think Kate will be more interesting when she gets old enough to cut her hair or pull it back, as the hair dominates the picture. In the middle of all that hair is a Kate who is thinking ahead of her age, perhaps?

I think it is a wonderful work of art... I hope she does a formal one soon ...with a tiara... I know not likely..but I can hope.

Obviously an art critic will view the painting differently than Catherines fan base will view it. For some fans anything even remotely associated with her becomes perfect, untouchable, without par, absolutely wonderful in every way and beyond criticism. An art critics job is in fact to critique and criticize the painting as a painting, which is not a criticism of the subject of the painting itself, merely an opinion on its artistic success.

Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.
-Brendan Behan

Oh, I just knew this would become interesting......

And finally, off topic, I need new glasses. I looked quickly at the list of threads and thought it said "Princess Anne expecting third child" - I'm now over the shock and relaise its Princess Aimee.

:lol::lol::lol: I did the exact same thing! you made me feel so glad that I wasnt the only one. my eyes were tired from being on the computer.

I think the portrait looks more attractive when you stand back and look at it with a little distance and the frame.

[URL="http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_20663765,00.html"]http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_20663765,00.html[/URL]

Yes, the painting looks a lot better in this image, however, I'm still not sure if I like it or not. Like many here, I think it makes her look older and worn out. I'm also trying to figure out why he changed the color of her eyes. I think her natural color is quite pretty.

I think the artist did a great job in copying the non-photoshoped photo he was given.

I think the artist did a great job in copying the non-photoshoped photo he was given.

I think you will find that he took the photographs - he says in one of the interviews. You really must check your facts.

EDIT: The video with the information is in post #976

Last edited:
the way the eyes are done in the portrait bothers me the most. I can't say what it really is with the eyes somehow they do not seem right. As if she is cross-eyed.

Are there any royal portraits that have been universally loved, (or even well thought of by a solid majority of the public)? It seems like every time a new portrait is unveiled a bunch of people hate it. It's interesting to me because, as someone who knows pretty much nothing about art, my instinct would be that portraiture would be one of the easier painting forms to get right, so to speak.

Probably the most admired portrait of the Queen is this one by Pietro Annigoni. It made his career and he went on to paint US presidents, Popes and several other members of the BRF. Ironically, the art critics of the day were not impressed with it, but it was so popular among the public that they came in their hundreds of thousands to see it, and reproductions were made and sold all over the Empire. Annigoni had 15 sittings with the Queen for this portrait, each lasting over 1 hr. The fact that Kate only sat for Emsley twice is all the more surprising in comparison.

More recently, this portrait of HM by Chris Levine has been received very positively also. There's just something very affecting about it. Oh, and this Jubilee portrait by Ralph Heimans was very warmly received.

I think you will find that he took the photographs - he says in one of the interviews. You really must check your facts.

EDIT: The video with the information is in post #976

I think the artist did a great job in copying a non-photoshoped photo he took.

I suspect she's being diplomatic and gracious, because really, this one needs to go into a closet at the National Gallery and never be seen again. It reminds of me those age-progressed photographs of people who have been missing a long time. And I doubt she asked the artist to show her how she'd look 20 years in the future.

She's an art history major. She KNOWS Emsley's major work. She knew he would do a bust length and a full frontal. She knew he would focus on her eyes and any breaks in the planes of her face. And she knew that he would not feel a need to be 100% flattering. No doubt she picked him because she knew his work and knew he would do this sort of Portrait.
If you have ever noticed, most people, Kate among them, are not "prettiest" looked at full face from the front. But this is what he does and she chose him from a short list. He is extremely well respected because of the work he does. If you want pretty pics of the Duchess, please visit Zimbio or Getty Images. This is a different thing altogether, and she knew that it would be before she sat for the portrait.

Oh, and this Jubilee portrait by Ralph Heimans was very warmly received.

According to the artist he had only 1 hour with the Queen, which makes it more amazing.

My favourite as I mentioned earlier is William and Harry. IT actually looks like them which is a good start ;)

Admirer US: thanks for that interesting comment. Yes, Kate was an art major and wanted herself portrayed by this artist, without the pretty pictures of Zimbio. Very interesting. I only think that a different expression would have helped. The tiredness in her eyes is probably representative of reality. Maybe she wanted those who care to see that she is more than a "model". Fascinating.

And the guantlet has now been thrown down definitively.....

Stay safe, my friends.

LOL There is something comforting in being able to count on some people to never change. We can always count on Argentina for the negative vote on everyone except there own.

I quite like the portrait. It shows her as the real woman she is with a few lines etc.

We get so used to seeing photoshopped pictures with perfect smooth skin that it gets easy to forget that this is often not a true likeness either.

Kate seems happy with it and really that's all that matters.

Well, not everyone will like the painting. I just felt a bit bad that his portrait came under a great deal of criticism. It wasn't about thinking Catherine is too perfect and everything that involves around her is always perfect or anything like that.

Catherine is beautiful but I'm glad the artist didn't try to make her loook like the most beautiful person on the face of the earth. She's not 21, she's getting older and mature. I personally think the artist did what he was commissioned to do and used his years of experience and technique.

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee portrait also received some criticism. Some thought she looked sad and disappointed about her reign. The Countess of Wessex's portrait wasn't met with praise either. One was done of her and it looked like her face was made of wax and melting or something. I guess it's down to having some respect for the artist's approach and style.

Last edited:
According to the artist he had only 1 hour with the Queen, which makes it more amazing.

My favourite as I mentioned earlier is William and Harry. IT actually looks like them which is a good start ;)

I know the one you mean, cepe, and agree that it's a beautiful painting of two brothers who obviously enjoy one another's company.

I have a soft spot for Jonathan Yeo's portrait of Prince Philip. He's the son of the Tory MP, Tim Yeo. I'd like to see him paint Kate at some point.

I quite like the portrait. It shows her as the real woman she is with a few lines etc.

We get so used to seeing photoshopped pictures with perfect smooth skin that it gets easy to forget that this is often not a true likeness either.

Kate seems happy with it and really that's all that matters.

I agree with this. I actually don't think the portrait makes her look older than she is. I think it makes her look different than the photos we usually see, but often the photos we see are idealized versions of Kate, in that she's made up for an official engagement, or the photos themselves have been airbrushed, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom