Kate Middleton - what does William like about her?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess perception is everything then, I don't "see" any passion between Kate and William.
Ahh, I was not talking about passion or lust, just the feeling that they would like to hold hands or link arms and just like many youngsters, in the presence of the old farts, they know they must refrain. :flowers:

See, I think Kate has a lot of lovely outward characteristics including looks and demeanour, but that doesn't mean much to me because I know very little about who she is "inside"...less so than other royals because she is very private. So while I think she has many characteristics that would make her a suitable royal wife, I have no idea if she is truly a good match for William. I suppose I have doubts because especially with William's more recent behaviour with helicopters, I have doubts about whether William has any strong idea of who he is and what he wants in life. He might very well, but I see a lot more signs that all the other young royals have formed a strong identity, than I do of William.

I hope that if William marries Kate, they will mature together and become a successful royal team. I hope that William does not wake up one day at age 40 and develop a strong passion like Charles' love for Camilla or concern for the environment and realize "This is what I want out of life...and Kate isn't it." Because that would be painful for William and Kate, and for the monarchy.

So I hope William knows what he's doing.

Charles actually didn't wake up one day and realize he was in love with Camilla. He had been in love with her since his early 20s and would have married her then but she was not seen as a good royal match by The Firm, including his parents, and so she wed Parker-Bowles and he went on for many years as the Most Eligible Bachelor on the planet. As for his stand on the environment, I say more Power to him with that. Strong beliefs, whether political, religious, creative, etc. usually have no bearing on a marriage. A good marriage is a good marriage and a bad one is a bad one. Hopefully the Wales princes will learn from their parents' mistake and not jump into matrimony too soon and before they are really certain.

I personally think William has found someone who is discrete in Kate. After all the public ridicule that he and his brother suffered because neither parent could keep their mouths shut in the media, I think that is one of the best qualities she possess and to be honest, I think she is very pretty and seems to be able to handle a lot of the stuff that will follow William for the rest of his life. I hope he has found someone who will be his partner.

Ahh, I was not talking about passion or lust, just the feeling that they would like to hold hands or link arms and just like many youngsters, in the presence of the old farts, they know they must refrain. :flowers:

I am not certain about that. I think it's all a matter of "relationship style". My favorite Royal couple of all time is Baudouin and Fabiola of Belgium. Those two were about as conservative and Royal as it gets, but they were constantly holding hands, whispering into one another's ear, and walking with their arms tightly wrapped around one another. This was from their wedding day in 1960 until the King's death in 1993 when both were well into their sixties. They displayed a manifest passion for one another throughout their marriage.

Some couples are just as into one another but not as physically demonstrative in public. William and Kate might be one of those, it might not be their style.

Last edited:
I am not certain about that. I think it's all a matter of "relationship style". My favorite Royal couple of all time is Baudouin and Fabiola of Belgium. Those two were about as conservative and Royal as it gets, but they were constantly holding hands, whispering in one another's ear, and walking with their arms tightly wrapped around one another. This was from their wedding day in 1960 until the King's death in 1993 when both were well into their sixties. They displayed a manifest passion for one another throughout their marriage.
:eek: I notice you said from their wedding day on, before marriage and in public, would have been frowned upon by many! :eek: :D

:eek: I notice you said from their wedding day on, before marriage and in public, would have been frowned upon by many! :eek: :D

Oh how true. This WAS the early 1960's after all. But I have a copy of Paris Match from Nov 1960 where Baudouin rushes to greet his fiancee Fabiola as she comes off the plane from Madrid, and he kisses her(cheek of course) then kisses her hand.

During her Joyeuses Entrees where he introduced her to the kingdom as his future Queen there is a photo of them sitting in a car and he has arm around her smiling and gazing into her face.

They were quite unique for that day and age, I totally agree with you!

Last edited:
while some people are ok with public displays of affection, some people aren't even comfortable holding hands in public. maybe this is how william and catherine are?

while some people are ok with public displays of affection, some people aren't even comfortable holding hands in public. maybe this is how william and catherine are?

I think you are right. Contrast William's public behavior with Kate against Harry/Chelsy. Harry has been photographed all over the girl! I think William is more "Windsor" than Harry and has been raised with an awareness of his position as heir to the Throne. He just strikes me as more private and reserved about personal matters.

Who knows? When he and Kate are alone he might be a real wildcat LOL!

I find it kind of nice that they aren't "all over each other" in public. I think that it shows respect for each other. :)

I think you are right. Contrast William's public behavior with Kate against Harry/Chelsy. Harry has been photographed all over the girl! I think William is more "Windsor" than Harry and has been raised with an awareness of his position as heir to the Throne. He just strikes me as more private and reserved about personal matters.

Who knows? When he and Kate are alone he might be a real wildcat LOL!

Thanks for the explanation!

Unfortunately I still don't see it or get that vibe from them. They seem more like friends...platonic friends at that!

Yeah, I think they seem more like friends. Maybe thats why I think they won't ever marry, they will see they have a good friendship, that will hopefully always remain.

Hmm, one's perception of "chemistry" is obviously very subjective. I can't say I've felt that William and Kate are "passionate" from pictures of them, but I might get a whole different impression from videos. And they might be completely different in private than they are in public.

They always look happy together, though.

And I wonder why we all believed in the great love affair. At least I and all people I knew back then were convinced Charles had fallen for her and she for him. Why was that? Only the media? That is possible? If I think that Charles realised at some point what had happened back then and shared it with his son and William shared that knowledge with Catherine, then I wouldn't wonder if the "split" was just to stop the media form playing that game and forcing them.

I never believed in it...I felt from Day One that something was "off". I am roughly the same age as Diana and I was almost depressed by the whole thing, even though I was caught up in the excitement of getting up at 3am to see the dress, etc. I felt then and I feel now that the media bullied Charles into marrying Diana, much the same way the press went to work on Prince William when he broke up with Kate. The parallels were just startling. This is the same lot that is going to turn on William and Kate like piranhas if they get married and it doesn't work out

It was completely different five years later when Andrew wed Sarah...those two were hot for one another and it was apparent from the outset.

Let me also say that those Press interviews that the British Royals do where the interviewer asks smarmy personal questions like "Do you love her(him)?" are just the pits. I HATE HATE HATE them...have I expressed how much I hate them?? One of these days one of the Royals is going to stare into the camera and respond "HELL NO" when asked such a ridiculous question and I am going to die and go to Heaven!

I remember watching an old Edward R. Murrow interview where he asked the newlywed Jackie Kennedy if she was "pretty much in love " with her handsome new husband and she said NO. He asked her to reconsider her answer and she gave him a "look"....you could sense her annoyance and embarrassment.

She was my personal heroine after I saw that interview!

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation!

Unfortunately I still don't see it or get that vibe from them. They seem more like friends...platonic friends at that!
What you're seeing from them is not a star crossed teenaged version of love, with them staring into each other's eyes and holding on to each other for dear life, but a couple who has been together for going on 5 years now, comfortable in their relationship, without the need or desire to declare it to the world with saccharine public displays of affection... that frankly I could do without seeing. How they feel about each other is their business, not mine. I don't need to see them holding hands to validate their relationship to me at all. They can validate to their heart's content the day they come out and she shows off her engagement ring. Until then they, correction Kate, private citizen, should be left alone.

Last edited:
about kate middleton

i was never taken by her myself , but i just had to laugh when i was reading the net one nite , and the story was the Queen would like Kate to get a proper full time job. Her reasoning was the if Kate is not seen as a professional working woman in her own right it will be bad for Prince William's public image .

To me that is quiet reasonable , considering that here in australia the gossip mags are always going on about how kate 's life is in"limbo" (apparently she can't plan her life because she does'nt know weather Prince william will propose or not).

What you're seeing from them is not a star crossed teenaged version of love, with them staring into each other's eyes and holding on to each other for dear life, but a couple who has been together for going on 5 years now, comfortable in their relationship, without the need or desire to declare it to the world with saccharine public displays of affection... that frankly I could do without seeing. How they feel about each other is their business, not mine. I don't need to see them holding hands to validate their relationship to me at all. They can validate to their heart's content the day they come out and she shows off her engagement ring. Until then they, correction Kate, private citizen, should be left alone.

I absolutely agree with this viewpoint! And does anyone besides myself think that Kate might be hanging around William because she is actually in love with him and enjoys being around him, not because she is obsessed with marrying into the royal family and being queen? And maybe he is in love with HER and enjoys HER company? Sorry, maybe this has been commented on before, but I am going to be a romantic instead of a cynic about this, unless or until it all falls apart. I personally don't believe they ever actually broke up, that it was just a ruse. :wub:

I believe that both reasons are true. She is in love with being a Queen and in love with a very good looking young man. I would rather she didn´t become Queen but time will tell.

I absolutely agree with this viewpoint! And does anyone besides myself think that Kate might be hanging around William because she is actually in love with him and enjoys being around him, not because she is obsessed with marrying into the royal family and being queen? And maybe he is in love with HER and enjoys HER company? Sorry, maybe this has been commented on before, but I am going to be a romantic instead of a cynic about this, unless or until it all falls apart. I personally don't believe they ever actually broke up, that it was just a ruse. :wub:
I agree with you too. :flowers: I honestly don't believe that there is a single person who lived through, and remembers, the early nineties who would possibly think that marrying into the Royal Family is an enviable accomplishment. Diana and Sarah made sure of that.

I don´t think that Kate Middleton was of an age to appreciate what happened in the early nineties and to be put off becoming a queen by it.
She is far more likely to be influenced by Crown Princess Mary and future Queen Letizia.

:previous:

I am only a year older than Kate and trust me she was of an age to appreciate what happened, she would have to of been living in a cave to have not seen it.

I suppose so, as she was born in 1982 she obviously knew all about the divorces but did you yourself think that these marital problems were the direct result of their marrying into the royal family? I mean in the years 1995 and 1996 did you think that is what you get for marrying into the royal family? That is the part that I don´t agree with you about. I think that despite all the carryings on in the 1990´s the idea of becoming Queen of England or a Royal Princess does have its attractions for a young plebeian.

I suppose so, as she was born in 1982 she obviously knew all about the divorces but did you yourself think that these marital problems were the direct result of their marrying into the royal family? I mean in the years 1995 and 1996 did you think that is what you get for marrying into the royal family? That is the part that I don´t agree with you about.
Yes I did, as did most people I know. Although most blamed the mean royals for it all, my thoughts were along the lines of honey you made your bed now go play with you tiara. Both of Diana and Sarah made it damn clear what it was like to be married into the Royal Family.

I think that despite all the carryings on in the 1990´s the idea of becoming Queen of England or a Royal Princess does have its attractions for a young plebeian.
I'm sure that it does, I'm sure that there are many girls out their who would love to be Kate Middleton and be dating William but I wonder if after they spent a day in her life what they would think of it. Being followed by photographers, having the media constantly speculating about your relationship, having your family mocked in the national press, having people declaring you not good enough, having your choice of clothes picked apart, your weight discussed, basically becoming public property before you even get the title would probably be a big eye opener.

Last edited:
I don't know much about Katherine, (Catherine? Kate?) apart from what she looks like! Being middle and not upper-class, I have read that she and her family take a lot of snobby comments from the press and William's friends. What I like about her, (and Chelsey,) is that neither of them have blabbed to the press. Mind you, neither did Diana until she was safely married.
I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Marrying into the BRF is not something I would wish on any young woman (and that predates Diana and Sarah). To be constantly criticised, compared to your boyfriends mother, have your hairstyles/clothes/shoes analyzed, waiting for an engagement/marriage/birth date, loss and lack of privacy, the different expectations of different members of the public..... how awful. :eek: You do get to wear some nice jewels though! :lol::whistling:

I think that despite all the carryings on in the 1990´s the idea of becoming Queen of England or a Royal Princess does have its attractions for a young plebeian.
Most young women would be more interested in being the latest WAG, rather than a royal princess these days.

Marrying into the BRF is not something I would wish on any young woman (and that predates Diana and Sarah). To be constantly criticised, compared to your boyfriends mother, have your hairstyles/clothes/shoes analyzed, waiting for an engagement/marriage/birth date, loss and lack of privacy, the different expectations of different members of the public..... how awful. :eek: You do get to wear some nice jewels though! :lol::whistling:

But membership in the RF doesn't help you gatecrashing into designer's parties, if you're not on the guestlist....:D

I applaud Wills and Kate hanging in there. Call me "old fashioned" but I do believe they are missing out on some great childbearing years.

I agree with you Izzysamos. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom