Is William being set up to fail?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duc de Chatres said:
remember one thing, Prince William is not Heir Apparent, he is Heir Presumptive. Its Prince Charles who is Heir Apparent. Until the current reign ends, Prince William is free to carve a niche for himself, explore different areas, serve in the army, get a job! He is not yet bound, by convention, to the duties of an heir, unlike the Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg. We cannot compare him to the other heirs because his father fulfills that role.
You are right.And i hope William find something usefull to do with his life while waiting.As he is graduating in geography he could do something linked to the enviroment.That would be a great use of his image.Plus that way he could built his own legacy and not picking his mother.
I really don´t want him only cutting ribbon , going to wedding cerimonies and waving to the people.

Its a very hard life to lead... not knowing if people like you for who you are inside... or what you are (prince)... like he may have a secret side... he doesnt chose to be the future kind of england... he was born to it... what if he has different dreams

Yes he is...how hard can a geography course be? hahaha.."where is England? um...i have no idea..." hahahaha ah...i'm being to harsh on him aren't i? i mean he has sooo much royal duty at those parties right?

You should get more information about geograghy courses.If he takes seriously or not, i do not know.All colleges I know and my college have a very strict policy about skiping classes and frequency.

But geography is not about pointing in a map the country you are.Just go to any european University web site and get the curriculum.It´s required to to be able to make geopolitcs analizes and many other society matters.

hahahaha...i was just teasing the subject :p i've studied geopgraphy and i know it's not just about location

haha i studied geography and sometime you can make up stuff and still get an A hahahahaha i would love to know how those girls get invited to those super hot parties :)

Maybe it's to do with him going to uninvercity and maybe they/feels not ready for forgien royal engagements. You also have to remember that some of the European royal houses are near related,ie,the Duchess of Luxembourg (Duke Henri's mother) is the sister to the King of Belguim,Ann Marie of the Hellenies is the sister of Queen Magaret of Denmark and of course Queen Sofia of Spain is the sister of Konstatine of the Hellenies. I think that the British royal family tend to keep to themselves although H.M Queen Elizabeth was a a friend of King Baldwin of Belguim and that was the only funeral of a monarch that she ever went to,in fact she was seen with tears in her eyes,that was the first time the Queen was ever seen displaying such emotions.

Last edited:
I don't think P William has an excuse if he fail his University course. He doesn't have to work during school or at anytime. He has the luxury of being able to concentrate solely on his studies. Very few university student have that luxury nowadays. They have to work to meet their own expenses; some have to support their parents and younger siblings, others have families of their own. P. William has it very easy. And even the media has agreed to stay away from hime while he's at school. He has no excuse for failure. If he fails, he just never had enough brainpower for the course anyway!

bluetortuga said:
I don't think P William has an excuse if he fail his University course. He doesn't have to work during school or at anytime. He has the luxury of being able to concentrate solely on his studies. Very few university student have that luxury nowadays. They have to work to meet their own expenses; some have to support their parents and younger siblings, others have families of their own. P. William has it very easy. And even the media has agreed to stay away from hime while he's at school. He has no excuse for failure. If he fails, he just never had enough brainpower for the course anyway!
Very true bluetortuga! William is very lucky in the fact that he doesn't have to work to put himself through University but I think he has a lot of other pressures that your average student doesn't have. The constant speculation about his mothers death and the attempts to implicate his father in her death, the death of his great aunt, his great grandmother and his maternal grandmother.

I think once William finishes univeristy, then we will most likely see him taking on royal duties and causes. I look at Harry now and his path is clear, he will, of course, follow the royal tradition of going into the military. I feel that William will do the same, even though people want him to be somehow different. I don't think the question is whether William will accept his position and prepare himself for his future as king, I think he has asserted himself on that, the question is when will he began to be a full working royal, he really doesn't have a choice. If he does indeed decide to go into the military, that will be his main priority as it will become Harry's next year.

I think it is a good thing that Prince William is doing his own thing for now. He will have time later on for royal duties. He is young and he still has his father ahead of him. Let's give him time!

How come we are seeing more of Harry lately than William? Shouldn't it be the other way around seeing as William will be King one day?

Genevieve said:
How come we are seeing more of Harry lately than William? Shouldn't it be the other way around seeing as William will be King one day?
William is back at school. As agreed, the press will keep its distance. We should begin seeing more of William during the Christmas holidays. It will be open season on him when in graduates in June 2005.

I've been a "fan" of William and Harry's for years, but I'm to the point now where I thin William needs to quit finding outs and start picking up some of the slack. It's my opinion that William will probably join the military, and maybe it is because he feels he can do some good, but I also think its going to be another sad attempt at putting off his duties and the press.

I think the two boys have been too sheltered. I agree that Charles has been a great father and support to the boys, but they were born into a public role and while they didn't chose the role, life is what it is, and instead of being trained to avoid the glare of the limelight, they should be being trained as to how to get on well and ignore the press. It seems to me, (and I know it's been said in Royal interviews), that William and Harry know how to manipulate their father by using the memory of thier mother and what happened to her (they claim by fault of the Paparazzi), in my opinion, they need to just suck it up, quit being spoiled brats and get on with life. If they really wanted a private life there are other options they can use.

History repeating itself

I'm pretty sure that there was a thread that mentioned something about 2nd sons succeeding older brothers due to unforeseen circumstances. Or maybe it was in a different board. Since I cannot find it here, I will mention what I've observed so far.

1. Prince William is the first son of the Prince of Wales. Prince Harry is the second son.

2. Their grandfather (second son of George V, George VI) unexpectedly became king when his older brother (the first born Edward VIII) abdicated. [George V's first name was Albert - one of the names of Prince Harry's. However, I guess you can counter this claim and say that one of Edward VIII's names is Albert]

3. Similarly, their great-grandfather (second son of Edward VII, George V) became king when the first born son, the Duke of Clarence Albert Victor, died before his father died.

4. Also, if we travel a bit further back in time, the infamous (and second son of Henry VII) Henry VIII succeeded his older brother, Prince Arthur before the latter got the chance to become king himself. [One of William's middle names is Arthur and of course, Harry is a nickname for Henry]

While it may seem a little far fetched, I could not help but notice the similarities. I'm not encouraging people to look to the past to tell the future - it's all speculation. But it would be strange if history did repeat itself.

Wow, those are some pretty odd coincidences, but I'm not sure if they are much more than that. (I'm sorry, I don't mean any offense by that in any way, coicidence or not? Who knows) It would be very odd if history did repeat itself...but you never know what will happen in the world.

I forgot to mention something else.

Edward VIII was named after Albert Victor - first born sons who unexpectedly passed the crown to their next brothers.

One thing that surely will repeat itself in my opinion, is that just like QVictoria had a long reign and her son who inherited the throne relatively late in life, and didn't reign for too many years, so will Queen Elizabeth live to a ripe old age and Charles will become king as an OAP,and not reign for too many years!

auntie said:
One thing that surely will repeat itself in my opinion, is that just like QVictoria had a long reign and her son who inherited the throne relatively late in life, and didn't reign for too many years, so will Queen Elizabeth live to a ripe old age and Charles will become king as an OAP,and not reign for too many years!

(OAP?) That would be an interesting parallel with Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth's lives. It wouldn't surprise me if that did happen. Good point, auntie.

Queens Victoria and Elizabeth did/do have long reigns but I think Charles may have the throne longer than Edward VII. Another similarity is Camilla and her ancestor, Alice Keppel.

Remember though that Charles has taken far better care of himself health-wise than Edward VII who ate, drank and smoked to excess from an early age.

I think that Charles will reign for longer than Edward and will probably live into his 80s as well as both his parents did and both his grandmothers as well. His grandfathers died at younger ages but to a certain extent their earlier deaths were due to their lifestyle.

On a slightly less serious note..... here is a rather frivolous "history repeats itself" sort of manip I put together about Charles and Harry tucking their polo shirts in. The original source of these pics are Rex Features and The Sun (UK) Online Newspaper. The hosting source is my own yahoo/geocities account.

125658A.jpg

;) I'm sure every polo player could have been photographed in that pose.

Incas said:
;) I'm sure every polo player could have been photographed in that pose.

Yeah, sure it's perfectly innocent!
:rolleyes: Just looks quite funny.

Will History repeat??

Will Andrew be the first Duke of York since the mid 1400s to have legitimate issue and not to have the title merge with the crown.
Since Edward IV became king no Duke of York has passed the title to their son. They have either become king themselves thus merging the title with the crown or have had no legitimate issue.

Richard - son of Edward IV - one of the princes in the tower

Henry VIII - merged with crown

Charles I - merged with crown

James II - merged with crown

George I - younger son - died without legitimate issue

George II - eldest son's second son - died without legitimate issue

Frederick - George III's second son - died without legitimate issue

George V - merged with crown

George VI - merged with crown.

That is scary if you think about coincidences and history repeating itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
They say the Duke of York title is cursed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom