How should Prince William spend the next few years?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unfortunate that the public only receives the younger generation as being out there for the fun of it and for the fun of it only. I don't see any deeper sense in William's army training (he has done only very little so far what was distracted by some well discussed stunts that could make people think that he doesn't take things too seriously). But all this must have been pretty tough on him so he needed another vacation with his ever-vacationing girlfriend (she might not do and yes, she might have a "job" now but the stigma sticks - no reputation to lose anyway). Harry did his duty in Afghanistan but presented himself more like a young person without a clear idea of what to do but for now enjoying a major adventure playground for tough guys on a mission. I have to say, and I never thought I'd say this, the only person who gives the most mature or serious impression or seems to have a deeper idea about her life apart from probably getting married to a prince is Chelsey Davy.

I understand you, and I can understand why and how anyone might feel as you feel about it, even though I don't completely agree. I do think William's military stints are too short, but I lay the blame at the Clarence House advisors and not on William. Clarence House put him on a crash course of military diversity that is utterly ridiculous. He had no time to do anything except have a teaser taste of each service. But this does not relate to his private holidays. He has a right to have a vacation. He goes on a Caribbean vacation sometimes for a week or two of each year, I think, and this is not excessive. And Kate is not "ever on vacation" either. I believe it is an exaggeration to say that all she does is go on vacation or shop.
But we do agree that Chelsy is awesome. Chelsy rocks! :D

It's unfortunate that the public only receives the younger generation as being out there for the fun of it and for the fun of it only. I don't see any deeper sense in William's army training (he has done only very little so far what was distracted by some well discussed stunts that could make people think that he doesn't take things too seriously). But all this must have been pretty tough on him so he needed another vacation with his ever-vacationing girlfriend (she might not do and yes, she might have a "job" now but the stigma sticks - no reputation to lose anyway). Harry did his duty in Afghanistan but presented himself more like a young person without a clear idea of what to do but for now enjoying a major adventure playground for tough guys on a mission. I have to say, and I never thought I'd say this, the only person who gives the most mature or serious impression or seems to have a deeper idea about her life apart from probably getting married to a prince is Chelsey Davy.

There seem to be a lot of views on the "length" and "depth" of Will's military career. DoM - What would you have liked the ideal military career for William to look like? Also, how many vacations do you think Kate & Will should be taking in a year?

Long enough to get more than a smattering. He could have followed his father´s footsteps and gone into the Navy. Some years at least.
I wouldn´t expect PW to have a lifetime military career it would be pointless because whatever he does, and for however long, he is going to end up being Colonel in Chief with a chest full of medals, which is normal in the BRF.

Williams military career is essentially one focussed primarily on the Army. Of the 3 years he will spend in the armed forces, 2 years will have been with the Blues & Royals, with the third year spread across various other parts of the forces. I think the 2 years in the B&R constitutes "more than a smattering" but I am not sure how much time you would have considered appropriate.

The other way to look at it is to think whether spending any more time in the forces is actually going to do much more for William in his training. As you rightly point out, he is never going to have a lifetime in the forces.

I can´t help comparing with how much time my husband and sons spent on their military training so perhaps that has interfered a bit with my thoughts on P W´s military career. But, as we have agreed, he is not going to be a career officer.

It's unfortunate that the public only receives the younger generation as being out there for the fun of it and for the fun of it only. I don't see any deeper sense in William's army training (he has done only very little so far what was distracted by some well discussed stunts that could make people think that he doesn't take things too seriously).

As Britain is a country without an obligatorial military duty for any young man, I see it as if the direct heirs to the throne are the only ones who actually have to do their military duty of all Britons. But what if William is a pacifist? He surely is not allowed to talk about it as with Britain at war this would be a political statement but I think he has at least a father to whom to turn if he is not happy with his military duty, a father who is able to devise a way to do this duty without having to linger too long there. When William finishes his time at the military he has passed successfully the officer's course at Sandhurst, seen a bit of military life and can safely assume he did enough, so may retire honorably to become the figurehead he was born to be.

There seem to be a lot of views on the "length" and "depth" of Will's military career. DoM - What would you have liked the ideal military career for William to look like? Also, how many vacations do you think Kate & Will should be taking in a year?

I am basically with Casiraghi Trio - see post before. No crash course but a longer and in-depth stint and if the duty part is fine I don't have any problems with William's vacation. Kate unfortunately has picked up this lazy image and the more vacation pictures the public gets to see (even if it's only once a year) the more the stigma sticks and she will have to work superhard in case she will become William's wife to convince the public otherwise.

I think it is true that he has probably done enough military stuff, and if he is only going to do it halfway or half-cocked, it's maybe better to do something else. There are many things he can do that will build his character and expand his mind. I believe there is no one who knows better than William what that might be. He should think hard about what he wants to do, what are his passions, his interests? I believe the second half of the 20s is a fine time to begin asking oneself such questions. He is a man at a pivotal time of life who needs to start making decisions (on his own) for his life.

how many vacations do you think Kate & Will should be taking in a year?
The forces offer 30 working days plus bank holidays (another 8 days per year), weekends are normally free. Most of the 'youngsters' I know, from affluent families take 3-4 breaks per year. A great many of the others take at least 2-3 breaks. By breaks, I am referring to holidays abroad.
with his ever-vacationing girlfriend (she might not do-Snipped
Kate unfortunately has picked up this lazy image and the more vacation pictures the public gets to see (even if it's only once a year) the more the stigma sticks and she will have to work superhard in case she will become William's wife to convince the public otherwise
Only those that wish to present her in a bad light.

Many will I think, see her as normal and leading the lifestyle they would love to become accustomed to!:D

Also, how many vacations do you think Kate & Will should be taking in a year?
As many as they can fit in before they face 60+ years of making nice at ribbon cuttings and public intrusion into every aspect of their private lives, including Kate's ovulation cycles.:rolleyes:

As many as they can fit in before they face 60+ years of making nice at ribbon cuttings and public intrusion into every aspect of their private lives, including Kate's ovulation cycles.:rolleyes:

Most well to do British people take 3-4 holidays a year, time / money permitting. Notwithstanding Luv2Cruise's comments (which I fully endorse!) I can't understand why the comments on Kate permanently being on holiday etc. Completely unjusitfied, IMO!

Muriel perhaps we should start commenting on her being permanently at work which is interfering with her long holiday.
Many well to do British take more than one holiday a year it is what they are accustomed to and I feel that Kate, considering her background, has become accustomed to it. Perhaps the word holiday gives the idea that someone has actually been doing something and they need a break, it may be better to call it travelling or perhaps a "Grand tour" broadening the mind as they did in centuries past. The only trouble is that broadening your mind abroad isn´t usually limited to lying on the beach and lazing around on boats.
It may seem that people are being a bit hard on her but if she wants to become a future Queen consort I think it is time for her to think about it a bit harder, it is not just being a fashion plate. Also I don´t think it is really fair on her, what if something happens and she doesn´t get her prince, I really think that she should try to be independent and just try to be more practical and not live in a dream world. Sycophants all saying what a wonderful addition to the royal family she will make, how beautiful she is etc etc are really not doing her (the young lady) many favours.

I seriously doubt if Clarence House is making any decisions about William's future without Buckingham Palace's heavy involvement.

They seemed to have a good plan with Prince Charles. He gave a speech to Parliament before he was 20, did several important engagements before he graduated and then spent some years in the Navy as military man. When he got out, he formed the Prince's Trust which has been a focus over most of his life.

I don't know why they are deviating from the course with William. Yes, he is not Prince of Wales but if it worked for Charles, I don't see why they can't follow the course for William. As far as I know, he hasn't been to a State Dinner which is the most visible part of a monarch's duty as Head of State; playing host to other Heads of State. Or he can start representing Britain abroad in some key areas.

Muriel perhaps we should start commenting on her being permanently at work which is interfering with her long holiday.
Many well to do British take more than one holiday a year it is what they are accustomed to and I feel that Kate, considering her background, has become accustomed to it. Perhaps the word holiday gives the idea that someone has actually been doing something and they need a break, it may be better to call it travelling or perhaps a "Grand tour" broadening the mind as they did in centuries past. The only trouble is that broadening your mind abroad isn´t usually limited to lying on the beach and lazing around on boats.
It may seem that people are being a bit hard on her but if she wants to become a future Queen consort I think it is time for her to think about it a bit harder, it is not just being a fashion plate. .
What does it matter how often Kate goes on holidays? Is there some new law in the UK that says you can only take one holiday a year that she is breaking? What business is it of anyones how many holidays Kate takes, where she goes and what she does when she is there? She is a law-abiding private citizen and is not answerable to the public as long as she remains so.
Also I don´t think it is really fair on her, what if something happens and she doesn´t get her prince, I really think that she should try to be independent and just try to be more practical and not live in a dream world.
How is she living in a dream world? She is living in her world, going about her life the way she wants, in a way that works for her. If she and William don't get married she will simply continue to live her life. She lived, quite well, before William, and she will continue to live after William. I'm sure Kate knows exactly where her future is headed and if she doesn't, well if she's as calculating and manipulative as some like to say she is, she'll be just fine.

Kate as a private citizen can go on holidays and it is of no interest to anyone. The wife of the future King of England does interest the public, and she has been pushed under our noses as this by the media, I really don´t know her well enough to be able to comment on how she lived either before or after William in fact I don´t know the young lady at all, I only see pictures of her always on holiday at weddings, at parties. She may do something else how could I know, but I still believe that if her ambition is to marry the future King of England it is about time she showed another side to her character. Her life at the moment waiting around, not working so that she can be free to do whatever William is doing, could be interpreted as short sightedness as we are always being told that the life of a senior royal is centred on duty.

I think that with privilege come responsibilities. I agree that if someone like Kate is so close to the Prince with obviously hopes the relationship will mature to something official and permanent, William, she and her family should keep up appearances.
What is disheartening to me, is the attitude that no one is responsible or accountable and one can do whatever seems nice and enjoyable with no regard to how much criticism they may generate.
The younger generation does not seem so careful or respectful of the rules that gave them all these privileges. It is unfortunate that they can take what was handed to them and assume they earned it.

I guess for me it depends where those privileges come from. William benefits a lot from his position in the royal family, from being second in line. He receives a certain amount of luxury curtsey of the British tax-payers and as such owes them something in return. Something that he will have probably repaid a thousand times over by the time he dies. However I do think that because of the Diana factor he and his brother tend to get away with things now that his father and uncles/aunt would not of at his age, things that will probably not be tolerated from his cousins either.

Kate is another story. Her privileges come from her family. Her parents have worked hard for everything, they built up their business and made it successful. If they want to enjoy the fruits of their hard work, they why shouldn't they? Why shouldn't they want their children to enjoy their lives? The Middletons should not be ashamed to live a lifestyle they have worked hard for.

What is disheartening to me, is the attitude that no one is responsible or accountable and one can do whatever seems nice and enjoyable with no regard to how much criticism they may generate.
People are held responsible for their actions if those actions are against the law, if they cause harm to another, well mostly they are, but not doing something because someone mightn't like it is going a bit far. Criticism is part of everyday life for us all because of the very different sets of values and beliefs that we all have. Things I view as fun, others view as an outrage and I have many things that I don't like that others do. I really don't think it is possible for a person to live a life free of criticism, sometimes you just have to say to hell with them and live.

Not if you want to be the Queen of England.

I seriously doubt if Clarence House is making any decisions about William's future without Buckingham Palace's heavy involvement.

They seemed to have a good plan with Prince Charles. He gave a speech to Parliament before he was 20, did several important engagements before he graduated and then spent some years in the Navy as military man. When he got out, he formed the Prince's Trust which has been a focus over most of his life.

I don't know why they are deviating from the course with William. Yes, he is not Prince of Wales but if it worked for Charles, I don't see why they can't follow the course for William. As far as I know, he hasn't been to a State Dinner which is the most visible part of a monarch's duty as Head of State; playing host to other Heads of State. Or he can start representing Britain abroad in some key areas.

I could not agree with you more. I find it hard to believe that more educational official engagements cannot be found for William to carry out. Not on a grand scale, but certainly more than he does now. He is not a strong public speaker. Better for him to practice now, than when he is Prince of Wales. It seems as if Harry's niche has been found first, what with his stronger military career and Sentebale. I understand that perhaps BP wants to give William a more rounded program, but he is already at an age when many of his peers have long since started their lifetime careers. He should be involved in at least one thing that lasts more than a few months.

I guess for me it depends where those privileges come from.
The fact that he was born into a royal family destined to reign someday.
William by accident of his birth has a lot of priviledge and as a result a lot of responsibilities. As an extension, if he has plans to marry Kate, it is up to him to groom her into the role she would play next to him someday.

Kate is another story. Her privileges come from her family. Her parents have worked hard for everything, they built up their business and made it successful. If they want to enjoy the fruits of their hard work, they why shouldn't they? Why shouldn't they want their children to enjoy their lives? The Middletons should not be ashamed to live a lifestyle they have worked hard for.

No one expects the Middletons to not enjoy the fruits of their labour. The point is that if their daughter is destined to become Queen, they should avoid stepping into some mines along the way, to better pave her road.

People are held responsible for their actions if those actions are against the law, Not everyone who commits errors is a criminal. There is a legal mistep and misteps we all commit along the way that may stretch the limits of good taste for example.

Criticism is part of everyday life for us all because of the very different sets of values and beliefs that we all have. Things I view as fun, others view as an outrage and I have many things that I don't like that others do. I really don't think it is possible for a person to live a life free of criticism, sometimes you just have to say to hell with them and live.

That may be something you and I can get away with, since, frankly no one gives a hoot, but a royal who expects to be respected and kept on the job by his/her subjects, public criticism should be of the utmost importance.
If you look at most good politicians, they act with one eye on the polls and every thought towards the next election. Royals can also find themselves in a position when they may have to face their peoples' choices and to "hell with them I want to live" attitude may come back to bite them where it hurts.

I could not agree with you more. I find it hard to believe that more educational official engagements cannot be found for William to carry out. Not on a grand scale, but certainly more than he does now. He is not a strong public speaker. Better for him to practice now, than when he is Prince of Wales. It seems as if Harry's niche has been found first, what with his stronger military career and Sentebale. I understand that perhaps BP wants to give William a more rounded program, but he is already at an age when many of his peers have long since started their lifetime careers. He should be involved in at least one thing that lasts more than a few months.

You are both correct. One day there were photos of him chasing drug dealers in the Caribbean and next day he was sailing in Mustique.
With the worldwide economy going down the tubes how do the 26 year olds in the UK who go to work and pay taxes feel about this?

Not if you want to be the Queen of England.

Personally, I feel like a lot of these judgments should be held off until we find out that she actually is going to be a future queen. None of us has any idea how she will or will not cope with the stresses and responsibilities of that job until she actually starts doing it.

Context is everything. The people working for CH today are from a different generation than the people who guided young Prince Charles in the late 60s/early 70s. Hence they come with different experience and attitudes, and these lead to different kinds of advice. Then there are other differences, political differences, which do effect the decisions of CH whether people wish to admit it or not. There are different modes of "political correctness" and trends and "how to be in touch with modern perspectives" and so forth. It is all down to context.

I think that with privilege come responsibilities. I agree that if someone like Kate is so close to the Prince with obviously hopes the relationship will mature to something official and permanent, William, she and her family should keep up appearances.
The younger generation does not seem so careful or respectful of the rules that gave them all these privileges. It is unfortunate that they can take what was handed to them and assume they earned it.
Catherine is simply a young woman who happens, at the moment, to be dating a young man from a privileged background. He doesn't own her, nor she him and by that token WE certainly don't own her in any way and have no right to be demanding anything.

William could decide to marry Arabella Chalmondly Smyth, whom we know nothing about, who also may not have been employed in any capacity and so all the demands some are making on Catherine would have been unfair to say the least.

The younger generation are no different to all the Kings, Queens , Prince's and Princesses from the past, none earned their positions, none have been respectful of who or what gave them any privileges. Just look at any of the royals, from Margaret to Charles, Anne, Andrew or Edward, they all believe that they have the right to be treated as superior, as royals!

A real three years wouldn't to much to do meaning. Even in the current "war time" enviorment.
Sanhurst-11months
B&R-6 months training and 6 months barracks duty
RAF- 8 months
RN- 8 month
Other Army- 4 months ( SAS SBS IRR AAC and MoD)
Royal Marines 1 year
one year at Whitehall with 300 royal duties
After that 1000 royal duyies.
Couldn't this have worked even at the time we was going in? Could have have done any pre deployment with out being being deployed but as a gadge his leadership skills etc?

Personally, I feel like a lot of these judgments should be held off until we find out that she actually is going to be a future queen. None of us has any idea how she will or will not cope with the stresses and responsibilities of that job until she actually starts doing it.
Precisely!

I am not judging, I am just answering this:

Amelia said:
sometimes you just have to say to hell with them and live.

If Kate Middleton wants to be Queen of England she cannot say this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some get confused with their "requirements" for a Princess or Queen. She is not a politician noone gets to "vote" whether she'll become William's wife. All that matters and all that should matter is whether William wants her to be his wife and that's that. If Kate is the woman William loves he will and he should marry her. There's no point in trying to find a perfect Princess when she's not loved by her future husband - as Diana clearly proved. Mette Marit was a former party girl and drug addict and she turned out to be a great Crown Princess. I see no reason why Kate Middleton couldn't. Kate will also not be in the same position Her Majesty is in now. She will become a Queen Consort (in many years from now) and hence be in the position Prince Philip is in now. And Philip himself is hardly an example for an ideal Royal. He is undoubtedly hard working and I personally like him a lot but a diplomatic representative of his country he is not.

I don´t know if all that matters is if William wants her. I am sure the future wife of Prince William will have to be approved of by the Queen, at least she has to give her permission and I am sure that Prince William will listen to what his grandmother and queen will have to say. By this I am not saying that the Queen disaproves of Kate, she may think she is wonderful, we don´t know. Not all Princes or Princesses for that matter marry the person they want, a sad example was Princess Margaret. There has been a change in attitude lately and now there have been precedents so it is a case of wait and see.

Catherine is simply a young woman who happens, at the moment, to be dating a young man from a privileged background. He doesn't own her, nor she him and by that token WE certainly don't own her in any way and have no right to be demanding anything.

William could decide to marry Arabella Chalmondly Smyth, whom we know nothing about, who also may not have been employed in any capacity and so all the demands some are making on Catherine would have been unfair to say the least.

The younger generation are no different to all the Kings, Queens , Prince's and Princesses from the past, none earned their positions, none have been respectful of who or what gave them any privileges. Just look at any of the royals, from Margaret to Charles, Anne, Andrew or Edward, they all believe that they have the right to be treated as superior, as royals!

I never thought we "own" Kate. The reactions, at least mine, are based on the picture they portray to us. Based on the relationship lasting as long as it did and the possibility that she may be a member of the Royal Family someday, I have my own opinions about what she could be doing to endear herself to her future subjects. Did not send her a list of my thoughts and basically it makes no difference to me what she does.
It certainly is up to them to decide what and when and how they will do things if they decide to do anything.
Again, being born a royal, may give someone a feeling they are superior, for a commoner to enter a royal family the uphill is twice as steep.

I am not judging

Right ... Menarue, I don't want you to think that the comment was targeted specifically at you -- it was more geared toward criticism of Kate as a whole.

But...

If Kate Middleton wants to be Queen of England she cannot say this.

How do we know that she wants to be queen? She's never given an interview, so we've never heard those words come out of her mouth. It's just an assumption that many have made because William is a prince. For all we know, she just wants to date and spend time with the man she loves, and that young man just happens to be one of the heirs to the throne. Heck, she might be dating him in spite of his royal position -- heaven knows Diana and Fergie proved in the '80s and '90s how unforgiving the job of royal wife can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom