Has your opinion of Kate changed?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeatrixFan

Majesty , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
Because mine has. I was watching GMTV this morning which is very rare as I'm mainly nocturnal and don't get to see morning television but they did a piece on Kate Middleton. Now, I'd already switched off when the Di coroner stuff came on and I was just reaching for the off button again when I saw footage of Kate walking TO WORK. They also showed footage of the parking ticket incident. Now, I didn't like Kate for the following reasons;

1) I saw her as a sulky spoilt gold digger
2) I didn't like this "poor me" attitude
3) I don't like William and naturally, that means I wouldn't like any future wife

But today, that all changed. The first thing I saw was Kate at the passing out parade and I have to say she was quite elegant. I stand by my statement that red was the wrong colour but she didn't seem to want to stand out. She wasn't doing the coy Di act but at the same time, she was keeping herself to herself aside from the occassional glance to William. She did seem to have a certain elegance.

Then there was her walking to work and so I'm happy to hear that she actually has a life. What she does I don't know but she's working and that gets a big thumbs up in my view. In the same footage, she actually smiled and waved at the camera. Now for me, that's a big plus point. The camera swung to the other photographers and there were about 10 or 11 all running towards her which struck me as being very OTT. But again, she handled it with elegance and smiled, waved and went into work.

It also erased any evidence of a "poor me attitude" that I had previously percieved her to have. I can see now that actually, it isn't Kate who has a poor me attitude - it's her fans who have a poor her attitude and seem to have given her the label of "can't cope with photographers" in a vain hope to make the engagement more Diana like. Well, she isn't Diana and she seems to be able to cope well enough on her own with just a few photographers. I can understand how difficult it must be when you get into tens of photographers though and I have to admit, I had no idea it was that bad.

Now, I don't like William very much for the basic reason that I see too much of Diana in him and it worries me. BUT - I have enough trust in Charles and Camilla that they've brought William up to be mindful of his duty and I think they've done a good job given the difficult circumstances. William is quite bland and boring but Kate seems to have something about her that I didn't see before which may compensate for his wet fish persona. She doesn't seem the type who wants to overshadow but she does seem the type who will be a supporter, rather than a wannabe.

So, after all I've said, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that she'll be quite a good little addition to the Royal Family. Ok, she'll need alot of teaching and I wish she'd put on a pair of gloves and put her hair up but I wouldn't mind if William did marry her and in fact, I hope he does. I rather like her now and I feel she'll be a good asset to the family. I won't say she'll be a perfect Princess and a wonderful Queen because we just don't know that yet - but she might have what it takes to keep the family on the right keel.

What I've come to realise is that alot will change during the reign of King Charles and Queen Camilla. They will make the monarchy a little more Scandinavian IMO and if that does happen, we'll need a good, young popular couple to "front the firm". I was pleased to read that after this year, William will start taking lessons in constitutional affairs. But I've resigned myself to the fact that Kate obviously is the one. Let's be honest, by the end of 2008, we're going to have Princess William of Wales and at the risk of being called a hypocrite - I think she'll be a bally good one.

I'm quite impressed with Kate and I'm annoyed at myself for making my assumptions on press pictures. I've spent today reading alot about Kate and if what I've read is true, I like her very much. I also managed to find a stack of very nice pictures of her. So, what I want to know is this. Has your opinion of Kate changed? Did you like her and now you don't or didn't you like her and now you're quite the fan?

I will say here and now that if she let's me down, I won't be best pleased. And I won't be happy if they don't marry after all and I have to get used to someone else. So thats that. Kate fans, you have permission to gloat.

Well, you said a while back that only a born princess (or maybe also aristocrat) would be able to make a real success as the wife of the heir to the throne and eventually as the wife of the monarch. What do you think now?

BTW, apart from his looks, which are getting more Windsor-ish as he gets older IMO, I don't see a lot of Diana in William. He seems to have a firmer grounding in common sense than either of his parents, between Diana's emotional issues and Charles's tendency to mysticism.

I still think that born Princesses have the upper hand purely on the basis that being brought up as a Royal means you're better equipped. But looking at Mary, Letizia, Maxima and even Mette-Marit, it does seem that commoners can learn the ropes - not all commoners, there has to be a certain quality there and I think Kate has that quality.

I wasn't talking looks although I do see William as quite gawky. His good looking phase seems to have passed which is ok if we have Kate who isn't a stunner but with a bit of work she could dazzle I suppose. I think that for me it was "I want to carry on my mothers legacy" that made me flinch where William was concerned. Just a bit frightening that's all.

BeatrixFan...welcome to the Dark Side :)

She's not that bad...and could end up (with a little assistance) an excellent addition to the family!

And not to make this about Charles, Diana and William...but I think he is the best of both his parents. Some (not all mind you) of the public feel a connection with him and he has Charles sense of duty. Unlike Charles AND Diana he has never had to doubt his parent's love....so he will get better as time goes on as well.

Very interesting topic.

Well I don't know if I have been labled a Kate fan or not, truth be told I don't really have much of an opinion. I think though the media drives me nuts more than Kate and William, the engagment rumours are crazy. I see alot more of Charles in William espeically when it comes to the media, very methodical. I think he was serious when he said that he wouldn't marry until he is 28. So the idea of endless specualtion for another four years is crazy.

I think she has coped well with photographers so far, but I think it is over the top especially if they are on motorbikes and following her around all the time, if it turns into a mob scene I don't mind that she (or neighbours or bar owners) call in extra protection.

I think it is good that they have Camilla around, she always seemed to have handeld the press and speculation well. I think she is a good person to turn to for advice.

I don't have much of an opinion of Kate, because I feel that we know so little about her that it is hard to see what kind of princess she will be. For the little that I do know, she is athletic so she will fit in well with the cousins, she seems outgoing enough to be good in the crowds. I don't think anything is going to be sprung on us so she is going to have a long time to get used to her role (hopefully when they get engaged it is a long engagment like Willem Alexander and Maxima).

"I want to carry on my mothers legacy" that made me flinch where William was concerned. Just a bit frightening that's all.

I always found that quote interesting because of all the charites is mother was invovled with he picks the one (centrepoint) that is closest to some of the work his father does (troubled youths).

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
Kate fans, you have permission to gloat.

Hm, I'm not a Catherine fan yet, because I don't know enough of her to decide if I like her or not. But I wouldn't gloat anyway, as you finally did what I hoped you would do: try to look through the media attics at the rare facts we have of Catherine and see what the media does to her at the moment.

I liked the way she behaved at the parade, too and for me she appears to be a lady (which is what Skydragon was saying, too, when she wrote that Catherine seems to be discreet and possess poise). I don't know yet if she possesses the compassion I would want her to have but I guess a man like William with his troubled youth would not go for a girl without compassion.

Well, we'll see. I guess William will marry her, but according to his own timeline. You know, if you have a father who couldn't marry the woman who has been both his lover and his friend till the worst scenario was lived through, you don't give up a "college love" with a girl both your lover and your friend lightly.

I haven't really formed any opinion of her besides the fact that she does seem pretty discreet. I've only appreciated the fact that Prince William took a totally different approach to his relationship with Kate than his parents did with one another. If she is the one, she will be better prepared on all fronts especially being a proper and loving wife. JMO.

I have to say this is the last thing in the world I expected to see! No gloating here, though. Everyone's entitled to an opinion and to change it or not as they see fit.

I think you and I see eye to eye about Diana, though.

Very good points Beatrixfan! :) (I am not gloating but I am surprised, to tell the truth ;)).

What I've always liked about Kate is her no-flirting attitude with the press, no tell-it-all interviews and the fact her friends and relatives are so discreet. Kate earned my respect because of these.

And another thing is her personality (at least my opinion of it). I know many people think she hasn't got one and she is boring but somehow I think she's got a very strong character and personality.
This is, of course, only my opinion based purely on my impression. I don't have anything to support my point of view though.

My opinion hasnt Ive always liked her and still do :)

A handsome post by you BeatrixFan.

I agree that she has elegance. More importantly to me she has discretion. I think the fact she lived with Wills at uni is a very good sign.

I think she'd make a great wife but the chances of an engagement this year are only 50-50.

Not a gloat from me either. :flowers:

I am just glad that you took the opportunity to try to see a little of this young woman and the qualities she seems to possess.

I think we all have to be very careful not to judge people that we have not met, too harshly, based solely on the media reports.

Well she's also much older than Diana was at marriage. I dont think marrying a teenager is ever a good idea (especially if there is a big age difference)! Frankly,I think 24 or 25 is still to young to get married. Hopefully she's mature for her age. And I think that their being close in age, and having had the same college experience will give them lots in common.

Nice post BeatrixFan.

Certainly no gloating from me. I'm on this board so infrequently these days, but I always get a smile whenever I read your posts. You have me convinced that you are very witty, and that you are insightful ;) ( along with others that post here) It's nice that you feel there are some good things to be said about Catherine. If she and Prince William get engaged, I hope that she does turn out to be a positive addition to the royal family. I think she's shown some good traits as well.

My opinion of her hasn't really changed, as I didn't have a very knowledgeable one to begin with. I don't know that much about her, but what I have read from people here.....both positive and negative, has informed me about her. I think she's a nice girl, and I like that she's been respectful and discreet about her relationship with William by not doing tell-all interviews or being photographed half-naked on a beach or in a club somewhere.

I think it's nice that you saw the other side of the coin and have realized she's not really all that bad. You'll get no gloating from me either. It was a very well-thought out and respectful post.

Has my opinion of Kate changed?

No!

I still feel she shall be a real asset to the royal family if she and William do wed.

The young lady is obviously intelligent, well turned out and is discreet (a most admirable quality). Catherine, I feel, has what it takes to support her prospective husband lead the monarchy into what is the uncertain future.

She has my support and best wishes :flowers:

of course, my opinion did change. before i just thought she was going to be one more in the list before the prince decided to marry, but after such a long time and after having seen how discreet, serious and responsible she is, my opinion did change in a good way. not to mention other qualities: clever, focused, elegant and stylish.

as madame royal said, i think she will be a great asset to the royal family and a wonderful successor of diana if she did marry william. she has what it's got to be princess and future queen in my opinion.

Great post BeatrixFan. It takes alot to step up and say I've re-thought things and I've changed my opinion a bit. Not that it means a hill of beans, but my respect for you has gone up. Hell of a man-up moment.

My whole thing is give the girl a chance. She seems like a nice girl. I hope. I'm just a giddy American fascinated by British royalty so what I say/think when it comes to the crown doesn't mean beans, but I wish the best for your country and would love to see Charles/Camilla and William and Kate (or whomever he eventually marries) do Great Britain proud. I don't think any of them will be the stalwart your Queen has been but we will keep hope alive!!

And the day William visits my country as King with his Queen I will be sure to hobble myself down to the White House (I'll probably be 105 by then) and waive the Union Jack along with my Stars & Stripes to catch a glimpse of them. The same as I did when Charles & Camilla came last year.

Last edited:
Sam!!!! You continue to impress me in leaps and bounds boy.lol.

Good on you hun! It takes some real 'assets' to openly express a change of thought :flowers: :flowers:

Though I do disagree with you regarding William..hehe

Last edited:
Elspeth said:
BTW, apart from his looks, which are getting more Windsor-ish as he gets older IMO, I don't see a lot of Diana in William. He seems to have a firmer grounding in common sense than either of his parents, between Diana's emotional issues and Charles's tendency to mysticism.

I see more of Charles in William than Diana, IMO. As far as boring, per Beatrix, I also see William in Charles as Charles has at times been accused of being so dreary and boring by Diana.:)

I have alot more respect for Kate than I used too. I used to think she was kinda plain and stuck up. But more and more i realize that she has/is dealing with alot. She is regular person just like the rest of us, dealing with the good and bad stuff that comes our way.

Has it changed? Not really since i never really had an opinion of her---
I HOPE she will prove to be an asset to the royal family, William and England if she becomes his wife.('course not in that particular order of precedence:) )
But honestly i have no opinion - i dont know a thing about her, know non of her qualities other than what one can assume from pictures and we all know that that is shakey ground for the foundation of an opinion of someone:flowers:
So, if they get engaged i will look forward to "getting to know" Catherine Middleton.

I really don't have an opoinion of kate because I don't know anything about her. But I believe that she will do good things for the royal family.

Sam, dear! Are you okay? :lol:
What a surprising opinion. I have to admit that I don't have much of a firm opinion of Kate yet, but she strikes me as a serious person. I always thought she looked a bit like the Dutch princess Aimee and that was at least one positive point. :ROFLMAO:

I just came back from London a few weeks ago and it was the first time I had seen pictures of Kate. I had only heard about her. I still haven't come up with an opinion of her. I guess I am going to have to keep an eye out for her to see if I can make decide. I just don't like it how they compare her to Diana. They are two different people.

I haven't changed my opinion either. I believe Kate actively studied what she had to do to get William. She is tenacious,and won't stop until she has achieved her goal. What she will turn out to be later is anyone's guess,as she can't play her role forever. I guess it really is only her and the prince in the end,but I would like to see him married to a woman more secure in her own position,not one to whom his position means everything.

rani said:
I haven't changed my opinion either. I believe Kate actively studied what she had to do to get William. She is tenacious,and won't stop until she has achieved her goal. What she will turn out to be later is anyone's guess,as she can't play her role forever. I guess it really is only her and the prince in the end,but I would like to see him married to a woman more secure in her own position,not one to whom his position means everything.

uhm¿ are you sayin she had like an evil plan on how to conquer William´s heart¿

avrilo said:
uhm¿ are you sayin she had like an evil plan on how to conquer William´s heart¿

No rani is saying that he/she thinks that Kate had an evil plan. And that's just as hard to prove as saying that Kate doesn't like to eat cauliflower. The future will tell us what this turns out to be. I'm quite curious, actually. :flowers:

HRH_Liz said:
I just don't like it how they compare her to Diana. They are two different people.

Well said. I guess this is just a natural thing for the press to do, but it is rude---comparing a son's girlfriend to his late-mother who was a well-loved media figure who died young. IMO, it is in poor taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom