General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@jesam - so Tatler would have to name its snitches in court? That explains the letter, to box Tatler into a retraction. But what If Tatler calls KP's bluff and say see you in court?

IMO If it was the truth then KP would have never challenged them...... but as i understand it they didn't sue them.

No. In UK burden of proof is on Pasternak/Tatler. They have to show it is true. And cambs have every right to defend themselves against lies.

This. If they are suing, I don't blame them (and I much prefer how it is in the UK than in the US)

Although, the Tatler article was a hit piece, there was nothing new, of any significance, that was reported. The only reasons they would sue is if they believed that Tatler did the article with malicious intent and KP wanted to unmask the people with said intent.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was an invasion of privacy on the intimate moments and that was understandable. But here, this was an expected puff piece that went south. IMO Tatler did this story as a trial balloon to get interest. If it sees there is money to be made to print a bad story on the Cambridges Tatler will go forward and roll the dice.

In the US the burden of proof lies with the one who is suing.

Also the Tatler issue is in stores right now and is sold online. The Cambridges may move to get the article taken down from the Tatler website but it will take more to have it removed from stores. The damage has been done.

Last edited:
Do we know if Charlotte is back at school?

We don't even know if the school.opened today. I think the school closes the end of June. Is four weeks worth it?

Checked. 3rd of July. 5 weeks.

Last edited:
It's a very awkward situation. If they say that they're keeping Charlotte off school, it sounds as if they're saying that they disagree with the Government's decision to reopen schools, and that it's not safe. But I quite understand that it suits them better to be at Anmer, and that they don't want to unsettle George and Louis just now when George can't go back yet. It's not going to hurt a 5-year-old to miss a few more weeks of school: it's hardly as if she's studying for A-levels. But it'd look very bad to say that.

I hate this nastiness about the Middletons, and I thought we'd got past it. They are hard-working people who have built up their own business. They never put a foot wrong: they've never once done anything embarrassing, which is a lot more than can be said for a lot of blue-bloods. It's horrible of the Tatler to do this. And, as someone who's had issues with eating disorders, I hate it when the media comment on someone's weight.

It's a very awkward situation. If they say that they're keeping Charlotte off school, it sounds as if they're saying that they disagree with the Government's decision to reopen schools, and that it's not safe. But I quite understand that it suits them better to be at Anmer, and that they don't want to unsettle George and Louis just now when George can't go back yet. It's not going to hurt a 5-year-old to miss a few more weeks of school: it's hardly as if she's studying for A-levels. But it'd look very bad to say that.
We don't even know if St Thomas's is open for students, so it's quite possible they don't even have this problem. The government gave the option for the students to return, but it's not mandatory. Given the kind of people who send their children to St Thomas's I think it's possible they will remain closed until autumn.

I was wondering if the return to school would be up to the parents to decide and not mandatory. Whatever happens, if its not government mandated to return to school, the Cambridges will make the decision they feel is right for their children. If there is one area of the Cambridge's lives that cannot be put to fault, its their parenting skills.

Our schools here in WV remain closed with remote learning until the next school year in the fall of 2020.

IIRC there was controversy over a lot of private schools deciding to open in September for the new school year since the state schools opened on Monday (some private schools have opened too, though). Eton announcing their opening date sparked the resurgence of the "class war" on Twitter. It wouldn't surprise me if St. Thomas's will also open in September again.

IIRC there was controversy over a lot of private schools deciding to open in September for the new school year since the state schools opened on Monday (some private schools have opened too, though). Eton announcing their opening date sparked the resurgence of the "class war" on Twitter. It wouldn't surprise me if St. Thomas's will also open in September again.

Eton is a secondary boarding school. They were right.

Boarding schools are a whole different bowl of worms. Private vs state day schools is one thing. But boarding schools you are talking about dorms, common spaces, cafeterias and so on. The ability to control cleanliness and exposure go way down. No shock Eton remains closed.

It would make sense for Charlotte not to return to school (as long as its the choice of all parents they can make the same choice). Bringing the whole family back to London and the exposure possibility, for one of the kids to return to school for a few weeks.

I think people would also applaud the couple following the guidelines not to switch between houses. They chose to stay at Amner during this, and they should stay with their choice if they can.

They are fortunate they are not essential workers who need to be out in this. And even if they were, they have a nanny and no concern for childcare.

My nephew attends a fee paying school. He is not going back till September. He is very lucky that the school has the resources to do everything online. Whereas my daughters school has reopened although the year 1 etc children won’t go in till Thursday of this week and will have every Wednesday off. The school doesn’t have enough room to practice social distancing.

this article inspired me to create an account on this forum, and your comment inspired my username! after years of being an ardent reader of several royal forums.

Er ... I'm not sure what to think about this. On one hand, I'm flattered that my comment inspired you to make an account, but on the other hand even back then as teenager I've never liked that moniker. So ... I'm conflicted :ermm:

Anyway, Tatler issued their response to the Cambridges' legal letters:
https://www.standard.co.uk/insider/...e-william-response-legal-action-a4456746.html
Tatler has said there is “no merit” to the legal action taken by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge regarding the magazine’s May 25 cover story about Kate.

The magazine’s response comes following the Mail on Sunday’s report that Kate and William “have sent legal letters to the magazine demanding its profile of the Duchess - headlined 'Catherine the Great' - be removed from the internet.”

If one of the reason they issued the legal letters was because Tatler has dragged Carole and Pippa into this (considering that the "wedding tears saga" and "exhausted post Megxit" are basically old news which they did nothing to it in the past), I wonder if maybe they'll have better chance if it's Carole who sues them instead. I mean, unlike the Cambridge, she's private citizen (even though yes, she's the future king's in-law). And she also runs a business so she can argue that that "inaccurate report" can affect her business (affecting her image in the eyes of her customers/potential customers).

Good points regarding the opening of schools and the a return to some form of in person schooling Katiemcwaity and Countessmeout.

I have not read the proposed plan for nurseries and schools from the British government but I expect it will be similar to what we've seen in other nations ie: Denmark.

Maintaining the required social distancing in the classrooms, hallways, gyms, playgrounds etc..will be very challenging for all school staff and faculty.

If the Cambridge children's school and other private institutions elect to continue online/distance learning, then it makes sense that the Cambridges do what the rest of the St. Thomas Battersea families do.

On the question of young children returning to schools, we know quite a lot of families that are not choosing to send their children back to school, especialy where only child is meant to be going a back. It is not so much a safety issue as an issue of disruption to routine. If you have two children being hiome schooled, disrupting that routine to send one Year 1 or Year 6 child can be quite disruptive, especially as this arrangement is only for 4-5 weeks.

In this context, my view is that W&C should do what they feel is right for their family. There cannot and should not be any pressure to send Charlotte back as it may be seen as a political statement of any sort, it is simply not the case.

Why are we discussing whether Charlotte is going back, but not George? Aren't they in the same school?

SLV-From what I have read the British government is asking that the youngest students (Charlotte's age group) be the first to return to in person instruction. George's age group would be starting later.

Last edited:
SLV-From what I have read the British government is asking that the youngest students (Charlotte's age group) be the first to return to in person instruction. George's age group would be starting later.

They can ask all they want but it is up to the child's parents to decide if/when their child will return.

When does summer break start? Here no schools are going back till fall, assuming they can go back then.

LaRae

Why are we discussing whether Charlotte is going back, but not George? Aren't they in the same school?
Because the schools in the UK re-opened only for Reception, Year 1 and Year 6, so Charlotte can go, but George has to continue online. Though at this point we don't even know if St Thomas's (their school) re-opened at all.

When does summer break start? Here no schools are going back till fall, assuming they can go back then.

St Thomas’ break up for summer holidays on Friday 3rd July so Charlotte would be going back for 4 weeks.

They can ask all they want but it is up to the child's parents to decide if/when their child will return.

Yes and I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear in my post. In the U.S. there are school districts which are taking surveys to determine if the families will be in favor of in person instruction, continuing online instruction or a hybrid of the two.

I would presume that St. Thomas has already surveyed their families.

Because the schools in the UK re-opened only for Reception, Year 1 and Year 6, so Charlotte can go, but George has to continue online. Though at this point we don't even know if St Thomas's (their school) re-opened at all.
Ah, I see. Now I understand.
Thank you both.

Yes and I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear in my post. In the U.S. there are school districts which are taking surveys to determine if the families will be in favor of in person instruction, continuing online instruction or a hybrid of the two.

I would presume that St. Thomas has already surveyed their families.

> I do not know if St Thomas' surveyed the parents or not, but other than for planning purposes, the results of the survey have no bearing on what follows.

> In the UK, the government guidelines are clear, and individual schools have no wriggle room. Reception Year 1 and Year 6 are now open till the summer break. Year 10 & 12 have to be provided some face to face access to their teachers before the end of the academic year. Children from no other years, other than those of key workers, are allowed back to school at this stage.

> Whilst the schools are open as described above, it is for individual parents to decide whether to send their children in. It is only the first week fter schools reopened, but attendance levels are not great at this stage.

> In this context, it is very much the choice of W&C as to whether Charlotte attends or not. George certainly will not.

> I do not know if St Thomas' surveyed the parents or not, but other than for planning purposes, the results of the survey have no bearing on what follows.

> In the UK, the government guidelines are clear, and individual schools have no wriggle room. Reception Year 1 and Year 6 are now open till the summer break. Year 10 & 12 have to be provided some face to face access to their teachers before the end of the academic year. Children from no other years, other than those of key workers, are allowed back to school at this stage.

This isn’t actually correct, schools in the North West especially have surveyed parents and because of that surveys schools have chosen not to reopen. Some are open for the small amount of key worker children but they have not reopened to Reception, Year 1 and Year 6.

The Education Minister actually requested that all schools in Bury, Manchester remain closed due to the North West having the highest amount of cases outside of London.

This isn’t actually correct, schools in the North West especially have surveyed parents and because of that surveys schools have chosen not to reopen. Some are open for the small amount of key worker children but they have not reopened to Reception, Year 1 and Year 6.

The Education Minister actually requested that all schools in Bury, Manchester remain closed due to the North West having the highest amount of cases outside of London.

You are right, @Lumutqueen. I fear my post was written with a London hat on squarely!

I believe that schools in the Bury council area are due to reopen to Year 6 pupils next week now, along with Stockport. Oldham are reopening theirs earlier, the Manchester city council area's OKd opening now ... so it's different even within the space of a few miles.

However, as I understand it, head teachers and the boards of governors are being left to make the ultimate decision about reopening, once councils have given the go-ahead. The local council in the area where my sister lives has said that schools can reopen, but my nephews' head teacher has said that no pupils can go back until the end of June. As Charlotte's at a private school, it will definitely be up to the school to make the final decision.

And parents will not be fined for keeping children off school.

It's all very confusing!

But the Cambridges' case is different from most, because they're spending lockdown in a house that is a long way from their children's school. They'd have to go back to London, and they wouldn't have all the grounds they've got an Anmer for George and Louis to play out in.

I don't think it would be advisable... for C to go back, as the Cambridges are in Anmer. But it is up to them to decide... but although lockdown has eased up a bit look at all the fuss about Boris J's adviser who went to Durham with his child...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom