General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: You are asking a very good question. Unfortunately it's not just limited to the BRF as I've seen similar stories written about most of the European, Asian and Middle Eastern women who marry into a royal family.

From what I have observed, most courts follow a policy that is based upon "Never complain, never explain." The premise being that if they don't acknowledge it or give a response that the story will eventually fade away. They can't respond to everything but there are times that even the most tolerant person has his/her limit.

I ask as I have before why is this tolerated? Why is the price that women marrying into the BRF so high? Why are the women just supposed to shut up and take it? Since the other target is gone just revert back to the "work shy, social climbing" thing again?
Because the relationship between the royal family and the media is as precarious as it is specific. The BRF has to work with them and developed a system that mostly works - after all, they need the media much more than the media needs them. Of course there are tabloid publications and gossip rags (like Daily Mail, Tatler and few others) that are below any standards, just looking for the most sensational headline possible, creating stories and blowing things out of proportions. They don't get the BRF cooperation and are just mostly ignored. But since the press is independent and free pretty much nothing can be done about that.

There are layers to this situation that one needs to consider. First of all, if the BRF reacted to every false story, every false accusation, they would have to react to ALL OF THEM. And that not only would require a huge team of people dedicated to doing just that (and with that go salaries and offices and other costs), but also could destroy the relationship with the media that are needed. The other thing, it would start a discussion "should BRF have influence over the media", that could, possibly, end very badly for the BRF. The monarchy only exist because people, citizens of UK, want it to exist. And the media are, imo, the most important instrument in creating a relationship between the subjects and the monarchy. Also, the BRF are not ordinary citizens. Yes, the monarchy is constitutional and the role of the monarch mostly ceremonial, but they're still seen as people with influence and public servants paid by the taxpayers, which means that they're held to a higher standards. The rules by which they play are not the celebrity kind (and I think this is what a certain group of non-UK folks don't get) and yes, they are criticised more harshly when they make a mistake. Is it fair? Well, not really, but life rarely is.

There's also the fact that their work defends itself. It's not only the people who marry into the BRF, but everyone - not many remember or even heard about how awful the press could be to Princess Anne. But she just went about her life and her work, not engaging in any press battles, earning the respect and love of the public. She was honest, true to herself and yet one might notice she got the least amount of grieve out of the divorced siblings. Prince Edward and Sophie went through a storm and a half at the begining of their marriage and look at them now. Prince Charles... well, we all know what happened there.

And to answer your question why are they supposed to take it - because it works. It's literally as simple as that. They just have to get through the worst, prove their worth and the press will get better with time and good work on their side. They can't fight every bad article, they can't just stop working with journalist, because that immediately invites the "is the monarchy above criticism" discussion. It doesn't matter that they cost us like a pound per year.

As for the Tatler article, I think it was a one time thing that won't go noticed by the public too much and that it won't be picked up by other publications. Royal watchers, sure, the crowd that loves to criticise Cambridges and blames them for everything, sure. But the public likes William and Catherine, so I doubt it will do them any harm. People can see the good work they're doing, how well they're representing the Queen and the country. Not to mention Tatler is a very specific gossip rag and people there still can't get over the fact that Catherine comes from a middle-class family, but it only resonates with a certain group of people from mostly aristocratic circles.

Last edited:
I think this would have slipped by with nothing from KP were it not for the comments about Carole and Pippa. Kate clearly is close to her family, and William is protective over them I believe, so it was a sure fire way to get a comment from KP.

Nothing new is in here bar the comments about the tights causing the fall out. If the most you can find on Carole is a comment from one 'craftman' who worked on refurbing Anmer over 7 years ago then clearly she can't be that bad.

I think Anne is in a totally different category. I have read the stories and like her father she doesn't suffer tools at all. She also speaks her mind and has told more than one off. I think they wouldn't dare as they are afraid of her.

Because the relationship between the royal family and the media is as precarious as it is specific. The BRF has to work with them and developed a system that mostly works - after all, they need the media much more than the media needs them. Of course there are tabloid publications and gossip rags (like Daily Mail, Tatler and few others) that are below any standards, just looking for the most sensational headline possible, creating stories and blowing things out of proportions. They don't get the BRF cooperation and are just mostly ignored. But since the press is independent and free pretty much nothing can be done about that.

There are layers to this situation that one needs to consider. First of all, if the BRF reacted to every false story, every false accusation, they would have to react to ALL OF THEM. And that not only would require a huge team of people dedicated to doing just that (and with that go salaries and offices and other costs), but also could destroy the relationship with the media that are needed. The other thing, it would start a discussion "should BRF have influence over the media", that could, possibly, end very badly for the BRF. The monarchy only exist because people, citizens of UK, want it to exist. And the media are, imo, the most important instrument in creating a relationship between the subjects and the monarchy. Also, the BRF are not ordinary citizens. Yes, the monarchy is constitutional and the role of the monarch mostly ceremonial, but they're still seen as people with influence and public servants paid by the taxpayers, which means that they're held to a higher standards. The rules by which they play are not the celebrity kind (and I think this is what a certain group of non-UK folks don't get) and yes, they are criticised more harshly when they make a mistake. Is it fair? Well, not really, but life rarely is.

There's also the fact that their work defends itself. It's not only the people who marry into the BRF, but everyone - not many remember or even heard about how awful the press could be to Princess Anne. But she just went about her life and her work, not engaging in any press battles, earning the respect and love of the public. She was honest, true to herself and yet one might notice she got the least amount of grieve out of the divorced siblings. Prince Edward and Sophie went through a storm and a half at the begining of their marriage and look at them now. Prince Charles... well, we all know what happened there.

And to answer your question why are they supposed to take it - because it works. It's literally as simple as that. They just have to get through the worst, prove their worth and the press will get better with time and good work on their side. They can't fight every bad article, they can't just stop working with journalist, because that immediately invites the "is the monarchy above criticism" discussion. It doesn't matter that they cost us like a pound

As for the Tatler article, I think it was a one time thing that won't go noticed by the public too much and that it won't be picked up by other publications. Royal watchers, sure, the crowd that loves to criticise Cambridges and blames them for everything, sure. But the public likes William and Catherine, so I doubt it will do them any harm. People can see the good work they're doing, how well they're representing the Queen and the country. Not to mention Tatler is a very specific gossip rag and people there still can't get over the fact that Catherine comes from a middle-class family, but it only resonates with a certain group of people from mostly aristocratic circles.

ICAM.

As to the bolded part, just look at how far Charles and Camilla have come in the media.

I think Anne is in a totally different category. I have read the stories and like her father she doesn't suffer tools at all. She also speaks her mind and has told more than one off. I think they wouldn't dare as they are afraid of her.

They wouldn't dare what? Anne's had rotten press for years and years. She was always seen as a bad tempered arrogant horsey woman who didn't do much royal work in her younger days. But the press lost interest as she grew older and Diana came along and the press was busy chasing after her.. so she grew to be tolerated... but does not matter a damn to the press whether Anne suffers fools gladly or not. If they feel like crticicisng her, they will...

This is a three day and counting because KP responded and Richard Kay was deployed to do clean up. True or not Tatler took a Louisville Slugger (baseball bat) to the Cambridge and Middleton images. Tying in Tight-gate makes the story fresh. If the press sees there is money to be made to go after the Cambridges they'll do it.

Well, Scobie posted interesting info:

I thought this was how tabloids will turn back to their earlier "Lazy Kaity" narrative, but apparently they go further to "modern Mrs Bennet" and "Wisteria Sisters" all over again :ermm:

this article inspired me to create an account on this forum, and your comment inspired my username! after years of being an ardent reader of several royal forums.

Welcome Wisteria.
And the #1000-ed post in this thread as well.
this article inspired me to create an account on this forum, and your comment inspired my username! after years of being an ardent reader of several royal forums.

My opinion on this tatler piece, is KP responded because the article isn't well received by general public. Especially when this particular friend said that Kate is working really hard doing 11 engagements in the past months. I think if we were in the middle of a pandemic, they aren't gonna say anything.

I feel quite sorry for the Cambridges, first the Tatler article and now they are going to have to make a tricky choice about what to do from Monday with the kids. Charlotte is technically meant to go back to school while George remains off as schools are not yet opening for his year group.

I can 100% see why they would most likely rather stay at Anmer and keep Charlotte off instead of them all having to return to London just for Charlotte to go to school. I would do the same probably, but they are not just Mr & Mrs Cambridge. If they don't send Charlotte it will be interpreted by some as not trusting its safe, going against government advice etc.

It's going to be a bumpy few days for them I think.

If they don't send Charlotte it will be interpreted by some as not trusting its safe, going against government advice etc.

This is a damned if you do, because Cambridge’s would be travelling from one home to another which is still not okay in the U.K. Then damned if they don’t, because they’re not sending their child back.

However, is Thomas’ up and running and accepting children back as I know it’s a contentious issue for school boards and trade unions.

I think there would be a general understanding if a family had to move from one home to another for the kids to return to school - just as there was a general understanding when they went the other way at the beginning (and not just the Cambridge's but a number of families decided to spend lock down at their country home rather than in London).

The important thing would be that once back in the capital they stay there until the next stage of lock down is lifted that allows people to move between homes.

If they don't return for Charlotte, they will have to do so for George so it is a matter of 'when' the move back to London.

As St Thomas' is a private school it may not be opening on Monday though. I can't find any information on whether or not it is opening. I do know a few private schools in London that aren't opening on Monday but are waiting until all students can return and a couple that have said 'not until September' (I have a colleague who is on an exchange to the UK this year and has spent his time, since March, in an apartment and seen nothing ... so much for his much longed for one year exchange that is going to end up being six months or so in lock down).

I think there would be a general understanding if a family had to move from one home to another for the kids to return to school - just as there was a general understanding when they went the other way at the beginning (and not just the Cambridge's but a number of families decided to spend lock down at their country home rather than in London).

As the recent case of one D Cummins Esq has demonstrated, the rules are clear as mud.

Once the lockdown was announced, there was clear guidance that people should not go to their country homes, but remain at their prinicpal homes, ostensibly to prevent a potential overcrowding of small provincial hospitals. There was some commentary at the time the Wales' and Cambridges' decamped to Birkhal and Anmer respectively that this flouted the government guidelines, but it could well be that they travelled before the lockdown was announced.

If they don't return for Charlotte, they will have to do so for George so it is a matter of 'when' the move back to London.

As St Thomas' is a private school it may not be opening on Monday though. I can't find any information on whether or not it is opening. I do know a few private schools in London that aren't opening on Monday but are waiting until all students can return and a couple that have said 'not until September' (I have a colleague who is on an exchange to the UK this year and has spent his time, since March, in an apartment and seen nothing ... so much for his much longed for one year exchange that is going to end up being six months or so in lock down).

George is unlikely to be at school till September. Most London schools are only opening for a small number of year groups on 1 June, the other year groups are not expected back till September.

I feel quite sorry for the Cambridges, first the Tatler article and now they are going to have to make a tricky choice about what to do from Monday with the kids. Charlotte is technically meant to go back to school while George remains off as schools are not yet opening for his year group.

I can 100% see why they would most likely rather stay at Anmer and keep Charlotte off instead of them all having to return to London just for Charlotte to go to school. I would do the same probably, but they are not just Mr & Mrs Cambridge. If they don't send Charlotte it will be interpreted by some as not trusting its safe, going against government advice etc.

People are always going to criticize the BRF - that can’t be helped. Any objective observer would understand the Cambridges keeping Charlotte home and staying at Anmer. I think William and Kate should do what they think is best for their family; they can still home school Charlotte...

I think it is more than likely they travelled to Am or before the lockdown.

They basically only stay in London when the children are at school. The minute they are off they go to Amner and this generally means they rarely work when the kids are off. Or if they do they use a helicopter (which they do a lot anyway when away in the school week).

St Thomas closed well before the lockdown and even well before the state schools closed. AS I think they had a few cases.

A lot of schools are not opening Monday. They are either planning later in the term or rota systems or whatever. It is a bit of a myth what the government is saying.

Last edited:
It's Daily Fail, so take it with a grain of salt and all that jazz, but they're claiming that Cambridges are taking legal actions against Tatler for the latest piece on Catherine:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...atler-cruel-sexist-woman-shaming-article.html

And an interesting quote:
"The Mail on Sunday understands that Tatler approached Kensington Palace in February to ask if Kate would pose for their cover or provide an exclusive cover photo.That request was politely declined and it is understood that Kensington Palace was not offered the chance to comment on the specific content of Ms Pasternak's article."

By 'legal action' the DM reports KP sent a legal letter asking for the article to be taken down - its still online as of now.

Taking legal action beyond just sending a letter would be extreme for W&K but not unheard of, they did so more in the days before they were married.

By 'legal action' the DM reports KP sent a legal letter asking for the article to be taken down - its still online as of now.

Taking legal action beyond just sending a letter would be extreme for W&K but not unheard of, they did so more in the days before they were married.

Didn't they actually take someone to court over tennis pictures taken of Kate? And the topless pictures of her sunbathing in France?

For Catherine and William, I think whether or not they send Charlotte to school starts with the obvious fact that inter-county travel is still not approved and as such, they would be showing a far more glaring faux pas breaking Covid-19 lockdown rules than not sending Charlotte to school.

As to the Tatler article, it's nothing we haven't read before and written in a far more restrained manner the some such as the DM. Truthfully, there is little they can take legal issue with.

I would be surprised if they were actually suing and I think that would definitely create more trouble than it's worth. It's a mean spirited, nasty article in many ways but nothing new under the sun. Unless they say Carole and Pippa are off limits. But Carole as the world's most conniving but successful social climber/manipulator isn't new either.

If the Cambridges keep Charlotte off school and continue to home school with her older brother then they wouldn't be the only ones choosing to do so because it's a less awkward, more workable situation. And they'll create much less fuss by staying put than travelling to London from Norfolk.

If the Cambridges keep Charlotte off school and continue to home school with her older brother then they wouldn't be the only ones choosing to do so because it's a less awkward, more workable situation. And they'll create much less fuss by staying put than travelling to London from Norfolk.
Do we even know if the school is opening at this point? Because this could be very well a non-issue right now, I know quite a few schools in England that chose to remain closed to students while working on safety meassures and so on. But yes, staying at Norfolk would clearly be a better choice.

I think they'll threaten to sue in order to get the article taken down. You always have to play a strong hand to get action taken so their legal representatives won't start by saying "we won't sue but..."

why would they sue? Its an unfavourable article... they're goning to get a lot of those before they are done....

why would they sue? Its an unfavourable article... they're goning to get a lot of those before they are done....

I agree. Like the Sussexes , suing is never a good move. Hope the Cambridges will be above that and just carry on.

I don't get the threat to take legal action. The stuff in Tatler was written before and the Cambridges did nothing. This article has cut deep at KP or some falling out happened. Suing only brings more interest to the article and Tatler. Not familiar with UK libel laws, wouldn't the Cambridges have to prove in court what Pasternak wrote is not true?

Last edited:
So far only the DM is reporting they'll sue so.....:whistling::whistling:

I don't get the threat to take legal action. The stuff in Tatler was written before and the Cambridges did nothing. This article has cut deep at KP or some falling out happened. Suing only brings more interest to the article and Tatler. Not familiar with UK libel laws, wouldn't the Cambridges have to prove in court what Pasternak wrote is not true?

No. In UK burden of proof is on Pasternak/Tatler. They have to show it is true. And cambs have every right to defend themselves against lies.

I would be surprised if they were actually suing and I think that would definitely create more trouble than it's worth. It's a mean spirited, nasty article in many ways but nothing new under the sun. Unless they say Carole and Pippa are off limits. But Carole as the world's most conniving but successful social climber/manipulator isn't new either.

Yes, they make Carole sound like Machiavelli. :lol:

And, even before the lockdown, Pippa was quite low-profile. I don't see why the article needs to rehash this old stuff, since I think the Middletons have behaved in a very classy way ever since Kate began dating William.

Oh well, this too will fade away.

@jesam - so Tatler would have to name its snitches in court? That explains the letter, to box Tatler into a retraction. But what If Tatler calls KP's bluff and say see you in court?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom