General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ther than the fact that the trip has been rescheduled, do we have any information that would suggest that she is determined to attend ?

I don't know if she is determined to attend, but i'm glad that William and Catherine have been stepping up contacts with other European royal houses. They have been in official visits to Denmark and Belgium (in the latter, more than once actually) and Catherine has been to Luxembourg. As the future king and queen consort, it is important that they develop a relationship with other young sovereigns or future sovereigns.

Catherine also went to the Netherlands last year (on October 11) on her first solo visit abroad! She visited The Hague and Rotterdam; and was received by the King.

George and Charlotte are unlikely to go as George is now in full time education and Charlotte will likely be starting nursery in January as they normally begin in the term when they turn 3. If they did choose to bring George and take him out of school I would think less of them, considering parents nowadays get fined for taking their children out of school during term time.

To those who are wondering about whether Kate is determined to join William for the visits to Norway and Sweden - read these 4 points:

1. The palace had originally planned for William and Kate to make a four or five-day visit to Norway, Sweden and Finland in late November.

2. But Kate's illness forced a change of plans, and the visits to Norway and Sweden was postponed to early 2018.

3. It was not possible to postpone the trip to Finland until next year, as the main reason for going is to celebrate Finland's centenary year as a nation.

4. It was therefore decided that William will visit Finland alone.

So after reading those 4 points, then we can ask ourselves - why was the visits to Norway and Sweden postponed if Kate was not determined to attend.

George and Charlotte:

The highly trusted royal expert Kjell Arne Totland said on TV2 News Channel that they would probably bring the children.

What do I think? That it's unlikely.

is there a winter break or bank holiday early in the year? I am not familiar with the UK calendar. If so - that is the only circumstance i could see bringing George & Charlotte - but admittedly the pics of Estelle and George along with all of the other kids would be priceless.

I cant see them pulling George out of school for this trip.

George and Charlotte:

The highly trusted royal expert Kjell Arne Totland said on TV2 News Channel that they would probably bring the children.

Did this highly trusted royal expert explain why ? I also find it unlikely with George being now at school. Having said that, the photo op with the Cambridge kids and King Carl Gustaf's grandchildren would be priceless.

I find it odd that, since his teenage years, William was often paired with Madeleine in the gossip magazines as the "perfect royal match", even though Madeleine once admitted she had never actually met either Wiiliam or Harry. Maybe they can fix that in the new generation so that George and Charlotte can get to know their Swedish fifth cousins.

I keeping my fingers crossed that the trip will coincide with a school break so the Cambridge children can go!

LaRae

Did this highly trusted royal expert explain why ?
Because they brought both their children to Poland and Germany, he said.

Not one of his best moments, but I don't think he had the school thing in mind.

He wrote this in his blog an hour later: ''It belongs to the story that William and Kate brought both their children to Poland and Germany. So maybe we'll see George and Charlotte in Norway too,'' se post 173 for more of his blog post.

About Kjell Arne Totland:
He was the royal expert/reporter in Se og Hør from 1991 to 2011. Yes, a very unserious gossip magazine, but he was in that period (as he's now) regarded as the most trusted/serious go to person for news on the royals. He was also used by NRK as a commentator on royal events.

He started (at the age of 68) in his position as TV2's royal expert in 2013.

Last edited:
Ther than the fact that the trip has been rescheduled, do we have any information that would suggest that she is determined to attend ?

KP could’ve announced that William out do take the whole November trip alone. It’s seem the postponement allow Catherine to be well enough so she can make this trip.

KP could’ve announced that William out do take the whole November trip alone. It’s seem the postponement allow Catherine to be well enough so she can make this trip.
But what we don't know is if she really wanted to go or The Queen or Charles or William insisted she go and rescheduled the trip.

If the Cambridge kids went on tour the talk would be of royal matchmaking. There was a time when royal houses intermarried to strengthen alliances and the arrangements were done when they where young. If the practice were to start up again would be with the UK and Sweden. George with Leonore (or with Madeline's third child if it's a girl) because the Princess Couple live in London.

Catherine suffers from HG during her pregnancies. It’s a fact of life. It’s also a fact that means certain events or engagements have to be cancelled or reschedule

I think taking the children was never on the plan. It was a five-day tour, unlike the Australia/NZ trip and the children are in school and pre-school. To be honest I wonder if Catherine will even go in early 2018 being heavily pregnant until April sometime and then with a brand new baby. I don't see Catherine feeling up to it or wanting to do it.

This is her third pregnancy. She’s becoming an old pro. If there was even 1 percent chance of her not being up for it KP would never have announced it today.

She’s travelled when pregnant before, when she visited America.

I think taking the children was never on the plan. It was a five-day tour, unlike the Australia/NZ trip and the children are in school and pre-school. To be honest I wonder if Catherine will even go in early 2018 being heavily pregnant until April sometime and then with a brand new baby. I don't see Catherine feeling up to it or wanting to do it.

She went to New York when she was pregnant with Charlotte. If her health is good she’ll definitely go.
As for her ‘not wanting to go’, I kind of doubt that would be even given a passing though by the powers that be.

I highly doubt any royal lady wanted to do tours and international trips when pregnant, yet they do them because it’s their job and they have to.

Piecing together the information on the original plan - they were being asked to do 3 countries in 5 days.

That is a lot of travelling in a short period of time plus if the tour is to have any value then in has to have a reasonable level of content. So little time to recover....

And I think travelling might be the issue for Catherine. The Palace reception -it wasn't too far or she arrived early in order to ensure she was fit to attend. At Paddington, not too far and she could have bailed out as she wasn't slated to attend. But once you start a tour, that's it.

I think also that she is having a tougher time than with Charlotte. She looks worn out.

So its playing safe. Best all round really.

ETA - in response to Rudolph...Indeed, it has only been in the early stage of the pregnancies that Catherine has been ill - throughout the remainder of the pregnancies she has been fit, well and healthy right up to the last engagements she did.

I think also that she is having a tougher time than with Charlotte. She looks worn out.

So it's playing safe. Best all round really.

The older you get the harder a pregnancy is on the body. There can be a big difference between being pregnant at 30 and at 35.

And from everything I’ve read, HG tends to get worse with each subsequent pregnancy.

But what we don't know is if she really wanted to go or The Queen or Charles or William insisted she go and rescheduled the trip.

I think it’s Catherine really want to make this trip. It’s best that it’s been rescheduled.

I’m not talking about she’s going to kill somebody if she don’t go. Just saying that she wanna be well enough to go.

Last edited:
Maybe William would rather not go? Or maybe Harry has no interest in going to Denmark either? Probably Andrew rather stays home every day instead of going on his many travels? It seems rather pointless to discuss whether they really want to go or that someone else wants them to go.

I assume their opinions are taken into account to a certain extent but it is not only up to them - it is always a combination of things: there is a reason to go and it is thought best that royal(s) X take(s) on that duty and they are ok with it - sometimes they might have been looking forward to do it for a long time and other times it is mostly out of duty.

In this specific case, I am quite sure that if Catherine and her doctors thought that it would be a bad idea, they would not have rescheduled to allow for her to join William. At the same time, I am sure the government is happy that she is willing to go (and feels up to it) early 2018 as the trip will get far more press attention if William is joined by his wife!

Catherine did a lot of engagements while pregnant with George and Charlotte after she was no longer suffering from HG. If the Finland centennial wasn't this year they probably would have rescheduled the whole trip. She managed to fly to New York and attend engagements while pregnant, I doubt a trip to Norway and Sweden will be any more difficult, actually less so as the flights are much shorter.

Maybe William would rather not go? Or maybe Harry has no interest in going to Denmark either? Probably Andrew rather stays home every day instead of going on his many travels? It seems rather pointless to discuss whether they really want to go or that someone else wants them to go.

I assume their opinions are taken into account to a certain extent but it is not only up to them - it is always a combination of things: there is a reason to go and it is thought best that royal(s) X take(s) on that duty and they are ok with it - sometimes they might have been looking forward to do it for a long time and other times it is mostly out of duty.

In this specific case, I am quite sure that if Catherine and her doctors thought that it would be a bad idea, they would not have rescheduled to allow for her to join William. At the same time, I am sure the government is happy that she is willing to go (and feels up to it) early 2018 as the trip will get far more press attention if William is joined by his wife!
Excellent points--I'm sure every royal has engagements they'd rather not take on.

I don't think any pregnant woman should be forced to travel. :sad: I realize we all find ourselves having to work while pregnant, but air travel, and all that public standing and walking and stuff, no. Let her be. JMO.

I would sincerely hope the trip is January or early February latest.

Yes she travelled pregnant with Charlotte but that was early December. When it comes to pregnancies, a month is a huge difference. While you can fly up to 36 weeks, some even say 34. Technically since they wont be flying commercial there is less risk, she will be able to move around more, access to fluids when ever needed and so on. But all that travel say at even 7 months, 2 countries in what four days, wont be easy on a pregnant woman.

I don't see the kids going. They wont take George and Charlotte out of school. And such a short trip. And with Kate being heavily pregnant at the time, even with a nanny along, it wouldn't be easy to have two toddlers along as well.

It's only about a two hour flight from London to Oslo and 2 1/2 hours London to Stockholm. I'm sure they discussed all this with Kate's doctor and when details are planned for the trip they will take the pregnancy into consideration.

One thing we will never know is exactly how they feel about doing these tours or if they really, really want to go or really, really abhor the thought of leaving home. Its futile to even try and guess what their personal feelings are.

I do not think they will take the kids at all. This is "work". The kids have gone with them on trips before to know what Mommy and Daddy are doing and most likely will stay home happily with nanny Maria. Its nice to take the kids when a trip isn't too hectic and there are things that would appeal to children but, lets face it, this isn't a family on parade. Its senior royals from the House of Windsor visiting their counterparts in other countries at the behest of the Foreign Office.

And to be truthful, even Kate couldn't tell us right now how she is going to be feeling when the time for the tour approaches. Each pregnancy is unique and its a day by day thing and when the HG is bad, its an hour by hour thing.

:previous: Thanks for sharing eya. It looks as if the Cambridges were privately visiting Chester, probably just for a fun day out, as William and Catherine are both in jeans and casual jumpers.

More likely visiting Duke of Westminster and his family. Eaton Hall, the family seat near Chester for Bonfire weekend. The current Duke is Godfather to George and the Dowager Duchess is William’s godmother.

More likely visiting Duke of Westminster and his family. Eaton Hall, the family seat near Chester for Bonfire weekend. The current Duke is Godfather to George and the Dowager Duchess is William’s godmother.

In other words a fun day out, as I had said, but also where visiting friends is also in the equation. Particularly given the fact that they visited during the Bonfire Night weekend, it all adds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom