General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. The only possibility that these visits to Norway and Sweden would have included white tie dinners is if the Queen herself was coming for a state visit.

2. When Charles and Camilla visited all the the Scandinavian countries in 2012 (to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee), they attended black tie dinners at the Palace in Oslo, Drottningholm, and Amalienborg.

3. Will that happen for William and Kate? I don't know.

4. What speaks against/for?

Against: William is not first in line to the throne.

For: William/Kate is the future monarch/consort and members of the most prestigious monarchy/family in the world.

1. The only possibility that these visits to Norway and Sweden would have included white tie dinners is if the Queen herself was coming for a state visit.

2. When Charles and Camilla visited all the the Scandinavian countries in 2012 (to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee), they attended black tie dinners at the Palace in Oslo, Drottningholm, and Amalienborg.

3. Will that happen for William and Kate? I don't know.

4. What speaks against/for?

Against: William is not first in line to the throne.

For: William/Kate is the future monarch/consort and members of the most prestigious monarchy/family in the world.

IMO, the unwillingness to wear tiaras stems from the British, and not the host countries. Trips by C&C are state visits in all but name. However, outside of CHOGM and the Dutch enthronement, I do not believe in over 12 years, I have seen Camilla in a tiara whilst abroad.

IMO, the unwillingness to wear tiaras stems from the British, and not the host countries. Trips by C&C are state visits in all but name. However, outside of CHOGM and the Dutch enthronement, I do not believe in over 12 years, I have seen Camilla in a tiara whilst abroad.

Let's be practical. It used to be there were a lot of tiara and opera gloves and ball gowns and glitter and situations where it would be practical to have these things and wear them out. It used to be also that a woman never went to church or even stepped outside of her home in public without a hat and gloves on. Women even wore day dresses to clean house in. Remember Mrs. June Cleaver? She always had a dress and pearls on even being at home being a housewife. It was a norm. I grew up in that era. Women who wore pants were "fast" and "loose".

Times have changed. People wear what they feel comfortable in to church. Dressing to the nines has not only gone by the wayside by the general public but also by the BRF. The only "real" bling that is paraded today is by reality celebrity stars and rap artists that use it as their trademark. They've kind of defined what "bling" is in the 21st century. Displays of "bling" actually denotes to the general public mind of people that are flashing their wealth.

Its kind of refreshing to me to see *less* emphasis put on the bling and the fashion aspect of the Duchess of Cambridge and the forever present blue suit of William's. They're going against the prevalent displays of "bling" and fashionistas blatantly to draw away from what they wear as to put the focus on what they're doing. That makes sense to me. :D

Let's be practical. It used to be there were a lot of tiara and opera gloves and ball gowns and glitter and situations where it would be practical to have these things and wear them out. It used to be also that a woman never went to church or even stepped outside of her home in public without a hat and gloves on. Women even wore day dresses to clean house in. Remember Mrs. June Cleaver? She always had a dress and pearls on even being at home being a housewife. It was a norm. I grew up in that era. Women who wore pants were "fast" and "loose".

Times have changed. People wear what they feel comfortable in to church. Dressing to the nines has not only gone by the wayside by the general public but also by the BRF. The only "real" bling that is paraded today is by reality celebrity stars and rap artists that use it as their trademark. They've kind of defined what "bling" is in the 21st century. Displays of "bling" actually denotes to the general public mind of people that are flashing their wealth.

Its kind of refreshing to me to see *less* emphasis put on the bling and the fashion aspect of the Duchess of Cambridge and the forever present blue suit of William's. They're going against the prevalent displays of "bling" and fashionistas blatantly to draw away from what they wear as to put the focus on what they're doing. That makes sense to me. :D

All very valid points, though I a don't see a link to my post.

The point was to make that in this day and age, its not necessary to put the emphasis on bling but on what they're doing. :D

As much as tiara fans may not like it, occasions just don't warrant them that much anymore. They've gone the way of a 2400 baud modem. PM me privately if you wish to know what one was. :D

Muriel, I often agree with your points, but not in this I'm afraid.

1. Duchessrachel wrote that she was hoping for a tiara appearance from Kate. As I then wrote, the only possibility that these visits to Norway and Sweden would have included white tie dinners is if the Queen herself was coming for a state visit.

2. Dinners/performances for foreign guests in Norway:

Milestone birthdays under Haakon VII, Olav V and Harald V: One (or two) white tie dinners/events and one black tie dinner/event.

State visits from a Monarch/President: A white tie galla dinner at the palace in Oslo.

Official visits from a monarch/President: A black tie dinner (if any).

Visits from other royals: At best a black tie dinner (that happened with the Jubilee visit from Charles and Camilla in 2012).

3. So I don't think the ''unwillingness'' to don't wear tiaras stems only from the British.

4. Another thing I disagree with is that ''trips by C&C are state visits in all but name'', because there are other things that separates their official visits from other royal state visits. And I'm pretty sure we'll see Charles/Camilla in white tie with orders/tiaras as monarch/consort.

Last edited:
The point was to make that in this day and age, its not necessary to put the emphasis on bling but on what they're doing. :D

As much as tiara fans may not like it, occasions just don't warrant them that much anymore. They've gone the way of a 2400 baud modem. PM me privately if you wish to know what one was. :D

It just seems a waste to have all that jewelry sitting in the vaults taking on dust. If they are not going to wear it, they should just sell it and do something good with the money. Part of the mystery of the royal family to me is the tiaras and jewelry. Oh well, things do change.

:previous: I'd be surprised if Kate would be willing to do a foreign trip so early in her pregnancy. :ermm: Even if it was planned (at some point) I could see it being cancelled. Anyway.

:previous: I'd be surprised if Kate would be willing to do a foreign trip so early in her pregnancy. :ermm: Even if it was planned (at some point) I could see it being cancelled. Anyway.

She did go to New York while pregnant with Charlotte. If she's starting to return to duties, a visit to Scandinavia in November isn't too outrageous. I'm suspecting she's close to 13 weeks pregnant.

:previous: And because they were in Denmark for a short trip in 2011.

More on the visits to Finland, Norway and Sweden:
It's all over the news here in Norway - the main story on TV2 News Channel with Royal Expert Kjell Arne Totland in the studio.

Tweets from Richard Palmer:

Richard Palmer‏ @Royalreporter
The Duke of Cambridge will visit Finland November 29 and 30. He and Kate will tour Norway and Sweden in early 2018, Kensington Palace says.

Both overseas visits are at the request of Britain's Foreign Office. We had expected William and Kate in Scandinavia next month.

Richard Palmer @Royalreporter
The palace had originally planned for William and Kate to make a four or five-day visit to all three countries in late November.

Kate's illness has forced a change of plans. I'm told there's no possibility of her going to Finland even if she is better by then.

Article from the The Press Association for the DF and other british news outlets:
William and Kate to visit Norway and Sweden in 2018 | Daily Mail Online
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are to make an official visit to Norway and Sweden next year.

Kate, who is expecting her third child, will be well into her pregnancy when she makes the trip early in 2018.

Kensington Palace said the couple had been asked to undertake the Scandinavian visit on behalf of the Foreign Office.

Article from Richard Palmer:
Kate Middleton suffers morning sickness hell: Pregnant Duchess forced to cancel trip | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
She and William had been due to spend four or five days touring Norway, Sweden, and Finland but Kensington Palace has decided she is not well enough to undertake the tour at the request of the Foreign Office.

Instead, William, 35, will make a two-day visit to Finland on November 29 and 30 and the couple have postponed their visit to Norway and Sweden until early 2018.

It was not possible to postpone the trip to Finland until next year, as the main official reason for going is to celebrate Finland's centenary year as a nation.

Blog post from Kjell Arne Totland with quotes translated by me:
William og Kate til Norge! | Kongebloggen - Kjell Arne Totland
Earlier this year, the duke and duchess was on a so-called "charm offensive" in Poland and Germany in connection with Brexit. And probably also the visit to Norway has been planned to strengthen relations between our two countries - and perhaps also to promote new bilateral agreements.

It belongs to the story that William and Kate brought both their children to Poland and Germany. So maybe we'll see George and Charlotte in Norway too...

Currently, no date or program is available for the visit, but one thing is for sure:

This will be great - and I'm already looking forward to it!

Last edited:
I hope they will take George and Charlotte with them to Norway/Sweden!

LaRae

Well that was some good intel from the Swedish Press Secretary wasn’t it!

Where do the threads go? Swedish&Norwegian sections I assume?

I’m glad the visits to Sweden and Norway has been pushed to early 2018. That give time for Catherine to be able to attend. She’s determined not to miss that trip.

Wouldn't George be expected to be in school? And I believe that I read that Chatlotte could also start her preschool at hthe same school in January.

Yes unless it's during a spring break? Do they have those in the U.K.?

LaRae

Wouldn't George be expected to be in school? And I believe that I read that Chatlotte could also start her preschool at hthe same school in January.
I don't expect the children to accompany their parents on their trip.

Yes unless it's during a spring break? Do they have those in the U.K.?

LaRae
There is a week off in mid-Feb for half term, and then around 3-4 weeks from latest onwards

Hmmm so not likely then..too bad. Would love to see pics of George and Charlotte playing with the children in Sweden etc.

LaRae

I’m glad the visits to Sweden and Norway has been pushed to early 2018. That give time for Catherine to be able to attend. She’s determined not to miss that trip.
Ther than the fact that the trip has been rescheduled, do we have any information that would suggest that she is determined to attend ?

I don't expect the children to accompany their parents on their trip.
Neither do I.

Article from Aaftonbladet with quotes translated by me:
https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/OLLWO/william-och-kate-kommer-till-sverige
''Yes, we can confirm that an official visit is planned, says Margareta Thorgren, the director of the press department of the Swedish royal court.

It is not yet decided exactly what the visit will contain.

But there is planned a meeting with both the King and Queen and the Crown Princess couple,'' says Thorgren.

See posts 171 and 173 for more information on the visits.

That'll be a good photo op with the Swedish couples. I'm strangely excited because I normally could care less.?

Ther than the fact that the trip has been rescheduled, do we have any information that would suggest that she is determined to attend ?

The Norwegian royal family announced that both the Duke and Duchess are planning to come.

Furthermore, the previously scheduled trip to all three countries is now split up into two separate trips of which William will do one (Finland) and the other two countries (the two monarchies!) are being postponed until early next year to be carried out by both of them.

Hmmm so not likely then..too bad. Would love to see pics of George and Charlotte playing with the children in Sweden etc.

LaRae
If they would want to play with a Swedish prince and princess they could visit Madeleine, Chris and their children in London :D - they live only a few miles from each other (if I am not mistaken).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom