The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-09-2021, 04:39 PM
Royal Highness

Yes I agree. Even though rationally I know flying is safer than driving it still makes me nervous to think they're all on the same aircraft.

There was an entire British family killed a few years ago in a helicopter crash near Sydney NSW.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes I agree. Even though rationally I know flying is safer than driving it still makes me nervous to think they're all on the same aircraft.

There was an entire British family killed a few years ago in a helicopter crash near Sydney NSW.
I remember that. It was a sea plane not a helicopter though. I do agree with your unease even though rationally I know helicopters are statistically safer than cars.

I think it was Princess Margaret's death or possibly the Queen Mother's where the news specifically announced that HM had given Charles and the boys special permission to fly back from holiday to RAF Northolt on the same plane and that was the first time I heard about the rule.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

The rule, in the UK, used to be that the monarch and heir couldn't fly together ever (interestingly that was brought in after the death of Prince Philip's sister Cecilie and her family in a plane crash ... little did they know, when they did that the Philip was going to marry the heir to the British throne about 10 years later).

The Queen never flew with Charles but travelled with him by all other means. I know I was upset when The Queen flew into the town where I was at school in 1970, with Philip and Anne but not Charles as that would have meant the Queen and her heir on the one plane.

Diana and Charles insisted on that protocol changing in 1983 when they insisted on bringing William down under and so the age limit was introduced of 12. That was then enforced with William not flying anywhere with Charles although there were a couple of exceptions allowed e.g. after the Queen Mother died and the Wales' were all in Switzerland permission was given for the three of them to fly back to the UK on one plane rather than have one of the three of them alone.

I too would like them to reconsider this rule.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Wonder where their all off too?
The dog looks excited.
Probably Highgrove, for lunch with C&C.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:36 PM
Majesty

William & Catherine: years before marriage

It seems all the threads talking about specific events in their dating relationship are closed.

I came across this article about a college classmate from St Andrews who talks about how it was clear very early on that William and Catherine had a special bond/that something was going on between them.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I’m not sure if this article belongs here or not. It’s a compare/contrast of William and Harry’s choices and approaches to life. It’s a clear response to Harry’s latest round of complaints, but it’s also a thoughtful look at both men.

And I found the William section interesting.

The Telegraph
William and Harry: two dukes – two very different approaches to happiness

https://www.yahoo.com/news/william-h...165224624.html

I particularly liked how the author noted the thoughtful, cautious approach William has taken to his life. He’s tried to learn from the past- and has said so directly. He just managed to accomplish this- publicly anyway- in a pretty kind, thoughtful, considerate manner that rejects neither of his parents.

“William desperately wanted to avoid the sort of painful divorce his parents went through and it took him seven years of battling between emotion and stiff upper lip to trust Kate enough to ask her to marry him. It was obvious how important his choice had been when, during their engagement interview, he said he had waited so long to give her time “to back out if she needed to before it all got too much”, adding significantly: “I have wanted to try to learn from lessons in the past.” He felt that Kate might in the end still have turned him down.”

Anyway- excellent points were made about both men imo.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Great article and thank you for sharing it.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I’m not sure if this article belongs here or not. It’s a compare/contrast of William and Harry’s choices and approaches to life. It’s a clear response to Harry’s latest round of complaints, but it’s also a thoughtful look at both men.

The Telegraph

I particularly liked how the author noted the thoughtful, cautious approach William has taken to his life. He’s tried to learn from the past- and has said so directly. He just managed to accomplish this- publicly anyway- in a pretty kind, thoughtful, considerate manner that rejects neither of his parents.

“William desperately wanted to avoid the sort of painful divorce his parents went through and it took him seven years of battling between emotion and stiff upper lip to trust Kate enough to ask her to marry him. It was obvious how important his choice had been when, during their engagement interview, he said he had waited so long to give her time “to back out if she needed to before it all got too much”, adding significantly: “I have wanted to try to learn from lessons in the past.” He felt that Kate might in the end still have turned him down.”

Great article. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:13 AM
Majesty

Prince William receives his first COVID-19 vaccine.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPFemu9F...dium=copy_link
Old 05-20-2021, 04:46 AM
Serene Highness

A small number of people have been hospitalised due to the "Indian variant", and we're hearing that practically all of them are people who are eligible to be vaccinated (due to their age or medical vulnerabilities) but, for whatever reason, haven't been. Around 95% of people over 45 - people between 34 and 44 are now able to book vaccinations too - have had at least one jab, but that still leaves 5% who haven't.

It's so important for everyone to be vaccinated, and I'm glad that Prince William has chosen a) to be vaccinated as soon as people in his age group became eligible and b) to make this public.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Prince William receives his first COVID-19 vaccine.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPFemu9F...dium=copy_link
The comments though ... seems like many are distracted by his guns
Old 05-20-2021, 07:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
The comments though ... seems like many are distracted by his guns
I think we've become used to dad dancing, balding William and forgotten that it wasn't that long ago he used to be very active for his job and still plays football and goes to the gym.

But I mean, win-win for making his covid vaccine public and getting some appreciation for his arms.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I think we've become used to dad dancing, balding William and forgotten that it wasn't that long ago he used to be very active for his job and still plays football and goes to the gym.

But I mean, win-win for making his covid vaccine public and getting some appreciation for his arms.
LOL before I saw the photo, I thought the reference was to real guns 😛😛
Old 05-20-2021, 08:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post

It's so important for everyone to be vaccinated, and I'm glad that Prince William has chosen a) to be vaccinated as soon as people in his age group became eligible and b) to make this public.

Agreed. Hopefully, this will be encouragement for other people to get vaccinated.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you to everyone involved in the development of this vaccine. Thank you to all who organized its distribution. Thank you to those putting shots in arms all around the globe.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:

The Telegraph

There is no magic formula to settling down. Bea was following the same "get to know you" formula with Dave Clark and he dropped her after 10 years and married someone else a relatively short time later. William did confess publicly he was too young to marry and he also was seeing other women. So I don't think it exactly was a "thought out" formula. I think Kate would not have said no if he proposed as early as 2007.

Charles himself confessed he was interested in someone else and preferred her to Diana (he confessed this to Dimbleby). William was not in the same situation by any means.

Harry dated Meghan for about 2 years so it's not like they impulsively boarded a plane and married in a chapel in Las Vegas.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post

I mean, I'm not above appreciating the arms...

But in all seriousness, good for him for not only being vaccinated but for showing the world rather than just telling us about it after the fact. Always nice to see people leading by example.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:46 AM
Courtier

American politicians have done this also. But those not famous have been warned not to post their getting a vaccine and the certificate on social media. Lest counterfeit certificates of vaccines get manufactured. Not going to happen though with the famous.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I mean, I'm not above appreciating the arms...

But in all seriousness, good for him for not only being vaccinated but for showing the world rather than just telling us about it after the fact. Always nice to see people leading by example.

Good post and he waited until his age group was approved to receive the vaccine. Oh yes I agree about the arms too.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

The Telegraph

Interesting that William's uncle Edward and most of his cousins also engaged in longer courtships prior to marrying. Edward and Sophie have been married longer than any of his siblings. Zara and Eugenie also were with their husbands for many years before announcing their engagements. Now it isn't a guarantee that the marriages will last ie: Peter and Autumn but it is a good start IMO. It would appear that the Queen's grandchildren are taking this into consideration especially since their parents' first marriages ended in divorce.