The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-06-2021, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by winifred View Post

Popularity for individual members comes and goes as they grow up and grow old. If the institution is still valued it will survive. If it's not, it won't.
Yes I agree. If we want to become a republic then we will & if we don't we won't. Individuals can certainly play a part in boosting or lowering support but in the end it's a political question about how we govern ourselves.

Not convinced that you tube channels are the right way to go tbh although I can see why others do. Seems a bit too much like chasing popularity which they simply don't need to do.

I'm not sure why it would matter what anyone thinks of the monarchy in the USA or anywhere else really other than the Commonwealth Realms.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:24 AM
Majesty

The Cambridge family spotted at Kensington Palace
https://mobile.twitter.com/cambridge...38444630544386

Old 05-09-2021, 03:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by winifred View Post
What the US thinks of the Cambridges and the royal family couldn't matter less.

Nobody in the UK is going to think "Oh what a disaster, Americans don't like our royals. We must immediately get rid of them - or get Harry and Meghan to take over."

Popularity for individual members comes and goes as they grow up and grow old. If the institution is still valued it will survive. If it's not, it won't.
You do realise the biggest number of tourists to the UK are from the US? Once covid settles, don't you think the British govt wants to capitalise on their biggest tourist drawcard? Do you think the BRF/Cambridges are setting up a YouTube channel for the hell of it? No. Think a little outside the square....
Old 05-09-2021, 04:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
You do realise the biggest number of tourists to the UK are from the US? Once covid settles, don't you think the British govt wants to capitalise on their biggest tourist drawcard? Do you think the BRF/Cambridges are setting up a YouTube channel for the hell of it? No. Think a little outside the square....
And do you really think there will be a single american not visiting Britain or europe only because Harry and Meghan have left...?! Come on!
It will always be the magic of the institution of monarchy and the history, the palaces, the Guards in front of it that matter to tourists.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
Clearly they want to improve on and capitalise on their current PR with their new Youtube Channel and Instagram make over. They currently seem to be doing quite well in the UK with increased polling for both of them and a lot of glowing media articles. The UK and Commonwealth remains their primary concern because those *are* the realms that matter for the future of the monarchy.

However whilst US (and many other) tourists are an important part of the economy I don't think it entirely matters if the Cambridges are personally popular in terms of visiting the UK. US visitors didn't stop coming to royal locations in the aftermath of Diana and the anger towards the monarchy from some quarters.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Clearly they want to improve on and capitalise on their current PR with their new Youtube Channel and Instagram make over. They currently seem to be doing quite well in the UK with increased polling for both of them and a lot of glowing media articles. The UK and Commonwealth remains their primary concern because those *are* the realms that matter for the future of the monarchy.

However whilst US (and many other) tourists are an important part of the economy I don't think it entirely matters if the Cambridges are personally popular in terms of visiting the UK. US visitors didn't stop coming to royal locations in the aftermath of Diana and the anger towards the monarchy from some quarters.
I think a good indication that the activities and the PR and YouTube channel are not indicative that they're playing to draw in the US tourists is the obvious fact that whatever the Cambridges do or what they present to the public via social media etc., is that a very minute amount of what they do affects the US general public. Their incentives are basically limited to the UK and the Commonwealth realms. Of course, there are some international incentives such as United for Wildlife and a few others.

Basically, they're promoting and serving those that fall under the monarchy's umbrella. At least that's how I see it.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:39 AM
Majesty

Of course they are. They are not there to "draw tourists" to the UK...
Old 05-09-2021, 06:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
And do you really think there will be a single american not visiting Britain or europe only because Harry and Meghan have left...?! Come on!
It will always be the magic of the institution of monarchy and the history, the palaces, the Guards in front of it that matter to tourists.
Seriously? When you ask the average person about the BRF, they WON'T answer on its history, they will answer the Queen, Princess Diana, Prince William, Kate Middleton and Prince Harry. That is the magic of the BRF. This is why the Cambridges PR are working OVERTIME to saturate social media. Most tourist cannot name the monarch before the Queen. Your 24-35 year olds, who have the disposable income to travel, know very little on the BRF history, or name any palace other than Buckingham Palace. But they remember who they see on social media.

The Cambridges are a MASSIVE tourist draw card, after the Queen. This is the BRF being strategic and finally understanding the 15-35 year old demographic.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:07 AM
Majesty

They are not going to see Will and K when they go to England, so what does it matter?
Old 05-09-2021, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
The Cambridge family spotted at Kensington Palace
https://mobile.twitter.com/cambridge...38444630544386
Wonder where their all off too?
The dog looks excited.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The dog looks excited.
That is what I would like to know. They look nicely dressed. Holding Louis' hand, William has an easier job than Kate trying to control puppy.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Do you really think the queen is so vain????
It wasn't about vanity, more about The Crown. HM was never vain, but has and always will be protective about the position of being the Sovereign.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
It wasn't about vanity, more about The Crown. HM was never vain, but has and always will be protective about the position of being the Sovereign.
The queen is the queen. She knows that and I dont think that she worries about "which royal is the more popular" any more than Philip did....
Old 05-09-2021, 10:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The dog looks excited.
Maybe Norfolk?

I don't think all five of them should be on one helicopter though. Surely there are protocols for who flies with who?
Old 05-09-2021, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I completely agree with this...I happen to love British history and Royalty, but even my fellow Americans who don’t know much about it are drawn like moths to a flame to the pageantry, the vague history they do know, etc... I love William and Kate, but I don’t see why even their staunchest fans would visit BP, Tower of London and other Royal sites because of them. If you asked a hundred people outside the two specific sites I mentioned why they were there, I guarantee you that no one would say “I came to BP/ToL because I love W/K/H”, etc...

I’ll also mention that there are people who adore HM, who actually do love Charles, Anne, etc...I’m one of them, and they’re still not the reason overall that I’m fascinated by Royal history (mostly because they are a small part of it)
Old 05-09-2021, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Maybe Norfolk?

I don't think all five of them should be on one helicopter though. Surely there are protocols for who flies with who?

The family flies together around the UK and overseas. Honestly I believe that like most people living in the 21st century that they're more likely to be involved in a traffic accident together than in a plane or helicopter crash. As I recollect, I believe that the British Royal Family no longer follows that protocol.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
The family flies together around the UK and overseas. Honestly I believe that like most people living in the 21st century that they're more likely to be involved in a traffic accident together than in a plane or helicopter crash. As I recollect, I believe that the British Royal Family no longer follows that protocol.
To my recollection, that protocol only kicks in when the children are a bit older (I want to say 12), and would only apply to William and George traveling together. It does seem fairly useless against catastrophic accidents. And you're right, car accidents are far more likely, and I don't think there have ever been any separations there?
Old 05-09-2021, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
To my recollection, that protocol only kicks in when the children are a bit older (I want to say 12), and would only apply to William and George traveling together. It does seem fairly useless against catastrophic accidents. And you're right, car accidents are far more likely, and I don't think there have ever been any separations there?
Thanks Pinsara.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:46 PM
Serene Highness

I really don't think that attracting tourists to Buckingham Palace is the main reason for any change to the Cambridges' modus operandi, and I doubt that anyone is going to rush to cross the Atlantic just because they watched a video on You Tube :-) . I've been to a long list of royal palaces across Europe and beyond, but none of that was because of any one particular person, either present day or historical.

I actually wish that they wouldn't all travel together ... I know there's more risk of a car accident than a helicopter accident, but it still makes me nervous!
Old 05-09-2021, 03:59 PM
Nobility

When I see a helicopter I always think of the late club owner of Leicester and his fatal accident...
Dont think they should travel together.