General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duke of Cambridge has sent a message to the people of New Zealand following the floods:

Seeing the devastation caused by the floods in New Zealand is a reminder of the herculean effort we must all make to protect our planet. I know you will come together, as you have done before, to support those in need. Catherine and I are thinking about all those affected. W

** Twitter Post **

Interesting that William and George are not travelling with them. Perhaps they went up earlier to spend some time with Charles.

I wouldn 't be surprised if this is part of the attempt to travel less with the whole family and more separetely to reduce the risk of all heirs dying at the same time.

I wouldn 't be surprised if this is part of the attempt to travel less with the whole family and more separetely to reduce the risk of all heirs dying at the same time.

That would be a fair assumption, but the only ones missing are the two direct heirs, William and George. One would assume W& G avoid travelling together.

I thought that, if it is them not travelling together it is an odd way to go about it as the two you'd want to avoid travelling together are, seemingly going to. Who knows.

Not sure where we are discussing it, but the confirmation of their future plans today at least means everyone can move on from the speculation.

RICHARD KAY: How many more homes can the 'slimmed-down' royals justify? | Daily Mail Online

The multiple homes of the Cambridges, examined by Richard Kay of the Fail. The criticism of the Cambridges moving into yet another home is growing on social media. It must be, for Richard Kay to be venturing criticism of the Cambridges getting their third home. This is at a time when homelessness and cost of living expenses are a huge problem in the UK.

From the article

?The announcement of their new living arrangements coincides with the decision to move all three of their children to a ?21,000-a-year Berkshire prep school, and the charitable response, of course, is that they have every right to relocate to ensure the best possible educational outcomes for George, Charlotte and Louis.

The less charitable response, however, is that at a time of an exploding cost-of-living crisis affecting working families up and down the country, securing the use of an additional property looks clumsily insensitive.?

It is a very very bad look at a time of growing hardship for people. TBH they've have been better coming straight out and confirming it when he first started hearing the rumours months and months ago, since then things have got worse so they are "confirming it" at a time of bigger difficulty for people. If it had been confirmed months ago it would just be one of those "at the time..." things.

It is an unnecessary number of homes IMO which has largely come about form poor planning for the long term.

It is a very very bad look at a time of growing hardship for people. TBH they've have been better coming straight out and confirming it when he first started hearing the rumours months and months ago, since then things have got worse so they are "confirming it" at a time of bigger difficulty for people. If it had been confirmed months ago it would just be one of those "at the time..." things.

It is an unnecessary number of homes IMO which has largely come about form poor planning for the long term.

Kensington should have gone. Why do they need it? Keep the office sure but they don’t need their living quarters now and surely won’t ever be staying there. Presumably all their stuff will be taken to Windsor. Aren’t they renting Adelaide though…it isn’t their house like the other two. To be honest I don’t really care. I mean all those houses lie empty otherwise.

Yes that is true, I saw suggestions they should give up KP but then I ask - who will move in? No one, the place will lie empty and unused and where is the good in that.

IMO the issue was this was so predictable, KP and Anmer was never going to work out really, Windsor was always going to be a better option.

I feel they are renting Adelaide until they can move in Windsor itself in time maybe, as was suggested in a few media article a while back.

It just feels all a bit unnecessary to me.

Yes that is true, I saw suggestions they should give up KP but then I ask - who will move in? No one, the place will lie empty and unused and where is the good in that.

IMO the issue was this was so predictable, KP and Anmer was never going to work out really, Windsor was always going to be a better option.

I feel they are renting Adelaide until they can move in Windsor itself in time maybe, as was suggested in a few media article a while back.

It just feels all a bit unnecessary to me.

They are rich, they were always going to have a country home. Having KP was always the way it was going to be. They probably thought it was going to be their permanent London home but they didn’t have children then. Now they do. They get pictured all the time in London. They are getting bigger…it’s harder to move them at weekends to Amner as inevitably they want their play dates, parties, sports matches, gymnastics castle. They have little freedom for young children in KP who will eventually turn into teenagers cruising London with their friends and getting snapped away. It was all nice talk before they had the reality of the kids and William didn’t know because he was at boarding school at 8 and they were always at Highgrove anyway.

But William knew the reality of living at KP as a young child with his mother and brother. And the lack of privacy involved. I remember one news article at the time that Diana was looking around for a country retreat that reported that Diana had told a friend that William was ‘like a caged tiger’ in London.

So in a way it’s odd that he again chose an apartment in KP for himself and wife. Presumably he hoped they would have children, who would eventually grow older.

Last edited:
But William knew the reality of living at KP as a young child with his mother and brother. And the lack of privacy involved. I remember one news article at the time that Diana was looking around for a country retreat that reported that Diana had told a friend that William was ‘like a caged tiger’ in London.

So in a way it’s odd that he again chose an apartment in KP for himself and wife. Presumably he hoped they would have children, who would eventually grow older.

I think it was okay for the kids to be at KP whilst they were small and less mobile. Now, George is 9, Charlotte is 7 and Louis is 4, they need space and more privacy to be normal kids. George is now at the age to start comprehending the realities of being a royal child and I suspect both William and Kate do not want any of their kids to feel like being caged animals. I actually applaud them for doing the move.

Kensington should have gone. Why do they need it? Keep the office sure but they don’t need their living quarters now and surely won’t ever be staying there. Presumably all their stuff will be taken to Windsor. Aren’t they renting Adelaide though…it isn’t their house like the other two. To be honest I don’t really care. I mean all those houses lie empty otherwise.

Do we know how big their living quarter in KP? If it's only, say, bedrooms and kitchen/dining room for when they need to stay overnight in London, I don't see why they have to give it up.

When it's announced that KP will be their "permanent London home" in the beginning of their marriage, in my understanding was that KP for William will be like CH for Charles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Charles have living quarter in CH? So do the Wessexes, Anne (and The Queen) in BP? While all of them also have house near Windsor?

Last edited:
Prior to the recent Palace renovations the Wessexes, Yorks and Princess Anne had tiny flatlets in BP for times when they had engagements in central London, not houses. I believe the Wessexes and Anne now use flats in St James’s Palace for the purpose. Charles has Clarence House and Highgrove (which is not near Windsor) but he is Prince of Wales and has ample Duchy funds at his disposal.

The Cambridges have a twenty room four storey apartment in Kensington Palace, which includes two kitchens.
https://www.hellomagazine.com/homes...e-kate-middleton-prince-william-neighbours/1/

Last edited:
Anne lives in Gloucestershire so a couple of hours from Windsor. She has an office and a small apartment in St James as does Edward.

Charles lives at Clarence House. It is his London base and he has his offices and living quarters as well as receptions rooms etc for use in his duties.

Andrew and Edward live in houses on the Windsor estate, while William will be joining them and Harry also has Frogmore on that estate.

Prior to the recent Palace renovations the Wessexes, Yorks and Princess Anne had tiny flatlets in BP for times when they had engagements in central London, not houses. I believe the Wessexes and Anne now use flats in St James’s Palace for the purpose. Charles has Clarence House and Highgrove (which is not near Windsor) but he is Prince of Wales and has ample Duchy funds at his disposal.

I believe I wrote "living quarter", not having houses in BP.
Sorry, I'm not English native. In my understanding, living quarter doesn't equate house. My uncle's family live above his shop. While the whole building is his it's mostly shop and office, his living quarter/private space where his family live is rather small, only 1/5 of the whole building. There's 2 kitchen and 5 bathrooms (1 kitchen and 3 bathrooms are for his employees)

The Cambridges have a twenty room four storey apartment in Kensington Palace, which includes two kitchens.
https://www.hellomagazine.com/homes...e-kate-middleton-prince-william-neighbours/1/

Are those 20 rooms their private living quarter or some of it are used for office/work purposes (hosting receptions, etc)?

https://www.hellomagazine.com/homes...dleton-prince-william-home-kensington-palace/

My understanding is that there are five reception rooms in the apartment, several of which are used for private entertaining and others for receiving and entertaining VIPs, charity workers etc. I have seen other rooms elsewhere at KP used for that purpose by the Cambridges as well. There are also two offices, one for Kate, one for William, featured above. However, quite frankly it looks to me as if the ‘offices’, ie desks and equipment, share a part of larger rooms in the apartment.

Last edited:
When it's announced that KP will be their "permanent London home" in the beginning of their marriage, in my understanding was that KP for William will be like CH for Charles.

I do not believe it was ever announced that KP would be their "permanent" London home, when it is clear that, in the fullness of time, they would end up at BP. However, it was indeed briefed that it would be their London for a long time. That it will be.

There was a lot of talk on Sky News last night about it looking bad to have 3 homes. I don't see why they need to keep Anmer. They need a base in London, but why do they need one in Norfolk?

RICHARD KAY: How many more homes can the 'slimmed-down' royals justify? | Daily Mail Online

The multiple homes of the Cambridges, examined by Richard Kay of the Fail. The criticism of the Cambridges moving into yet another home is growing on social media. It must be, for Richard Kay to be venturing criticism of the Cambridges getting their third home. This is at a time when homelessness and cost of living expenses are a huge problem in the UK.

From the article

?The announcement of their new living arrangements coincides with the decision to move all three of their children to a ?21,000-a-year Berkshire prep school, and the charitable response, of course, is that they have every right to relocate to ensure the best possible educational outcomes for George, Charlotte and Louis.

The less charitable response, however, is that at a time of an exploding cost-of-living crisis affecting working families up and down the country, securing the use of an additional property looks clumsily insensitive.?

I just do not see how the cost of living crises has anything to do with renting Adelaide Cottage.

> Yes, the Cambridge's have the resources to pay the lease on Adelaide Cottage. The state is not incurring incremental costs as a result of the move.

> KP will continue to be used as a London home, just not every day. Their offices will still be at KP, and they will be at KP often. When not in use, the apartment will not be costing the state any more money as the building is covered by security services, come what may. Any ongoing costs for running KP 1A will be paid for by the Cambridge's privately.

> A lot of the £4.5m spent on the renovation of KP 1A was spend on removing asbestos and upgrading electrics. This expense would have been incurred come what may, as the apartment had not been upgraded since the early 1960s when Margaret had moved in there.

> If every well off person reduced their expenditure when the economic situation was not great, surely that would contract the economy at a faster rate. Pretty counter-intuitive in my view.

Has anybody made any enquiries of how many properties Richard Kay owns and uses, and where his children are educated, or how many holidays he has in a year?

There was a lot of talk on Sky News last night about it looking bad to have 3 homes. I don't see why they need to keep Anmer. They need a base in London, but why do they need one in Norfolk?

Anmer is a holiday home they privately own. I see no reason why they cannot have a private home in the country side that they pay for themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO it is not just one thing that has lead to the move, it would appear to be the accumulation of a number of things.

IMO this is all part of a bigger picture, all of the details we are not fully aware of yet.

Anmer is on the Sandringham Estate so cost the public nothing. It is owned by The Queen and will end up being owned by William when he inherits Sandringham.

What do you propose - they give up a home and then in 10 years time, when William owns it they move back in ...

The Daily Mail story in all honesty is rubbish, the Cambridge’s don’t personally own any of those homes, they simply have access to them as they are working royals. It’s not as if the Cambridge’s bought a new house with taxpayers money. I honestly do not see the issue.

I do not believe it was ever announced that KP would be their "permanent" London home, when it is clear that, in the fullness of time, they would end up at BP. However, it was indeed briefed that it would be their London for a long time. That it will be.

It is looking increasingly like BH will never be used as a home again and it will be used for work purposes and nearly permanently be opened to the public.

Windsor is no length from London. Essentially on outskirts. They will never need to stay there. I guess KP will be for work and events.

Anmer is on the Sandringham Estate so cost the public nothing. It is owned by The Queen and will end up being owned by William when he inherits Sandringham.

What do you propose - they give up a home and then in 10 years time, when William owns it they move back in ...

It doesn't bother me if they keep all three, but a lot of fuss is being made about them having three homes. The press are very into criticising anyone seen to be well-off, at the moment - there's even been a carry-on over how much certain politicians' shoes cost, and whether or not well-off politicians ever go to McDonalds.

Richard Kay is a Diana Fan and her favorite pet journalist before she died, I can never see him as balanced and some of his articles I can’t take seriously. Are the Cambridge’s the government and cause the cost of living crisis? No. But he is trying to put two and two together like it makes sense, it doesn’t. Yes, it’s true the Cambridge’s are moving, but the context is so off.

It doesn't bother me if they keep all three, but a lot of fuss is being made about them having three homes. The press are very into criticising anyone seen to be well-off, at the moment - there's even been a carry-on over how much certain politicians' shoes cost, and whether or not well-off politicians ever go to McDonalds.

We need people with money to spend money or else the economy is going to absolutely grind to a halt this winter in the UK. Or do we want more boarded up buildings in streets and want our pubs and restaurants to be unable to open for even more days. Do we essentially want a non enforced lockdown because essentially no one has any disposable money. How many jobs will be lost then?

It is looking increasingly like BH will never be used as a home again and it will be used for work purposes and nearly permanently be opened to the public.

BP is in the midst of an extensive 10 year refurbishment programme. It is unlikely to be lived in whilst the works are underway. There are no indications that, in the next and subsequent reigns, the monarch will not reside at BP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom