General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't have much time if they want to get a spot at Eton; parents need to apply over 3 years in advance, so if they would like George to attend from Grade 9 and follow the normal admission process, they need to apply by June 30, 2023, so he can start in September 2026.

Eton College's procedure that requires admission that many years in advance ensures that it remains the same 'old boys club' and few newcomers will get in as they are less likely to register that far in advance. This is a common way for schools to (consciously or unconsciously) reduce diversity at their schools.

I just wanted to address the issue of any potential admission for the Cambridge boys at Eton.

> In terms of time lines, the process at Eton is very similar to a lot of other secondary schools in the independent sector in the UK. This requires that the boys are assessed towards the end of Year 6 (when they are about 10 years old), and made offers within a few weeks of the testing.

> They do not start until Year 9 (13+), and continue to attend their Prep schools for Years 7 and 8.

> This was the "standard" system across the independent sector, but there has been a change in the last decade or so with a number of independent day schools now taking boys in at Year 7 (11+) instead of Year 9 (13+). Children joining secondary schools in the state sector all change at Year 7 (11+).

> Names do not have to be put down at birth or any such young age. Applications are usually only due in when the boys are in first term of Year 6, and the testing process usually gets underway towards the end of that term itself.

> All girls change schools in Year 7 (11+), irrespective of whether they go to state or independent secondary schools.

> W&C, like all parents of children going to primary schools, will be aware of the change at 11+ / 13+.

> I have personal experience of some of the leading independent schools through my own children, and those of my close friends and families. I just do not see comments in relation to "old boys club" or the system reducing diversity as being justifiable. When it comes to ethnic diversity, most independent schools in London and the South of England, including the boarding schools, are very ethnically diverse. There are large number of children from South Asian and East Asian ethnicities.

Has this been confirmed by their own office? And where are they supposed to live in Berkshire? You'd think that having 2 homes would be sufficient and a third home isn't necessary.

Anmer is a long way off from London, and is probably only going to be used as a holiday home in the medium term. It will probably get used over the school holidays only.

The Windsor home and KP will get used all the time as the family will move between the two homes regularly. Whilst no doubt a privileged position to be in, this is not an unusual arrangements for a lot of well-off London based families.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to address the issue of any potential admission for the Cambridge boys at Eton.

> In terms of time lines, the process at Eton is very similar to a lot of other secondary schools in the independent sector in the UK. This requires that the boys are assessed towards the end of Year 6 (when they are about 10 years old), and made offers within a few weeks of the testing.

> They do not start until Year 9 (13+), and continue to attend their Prep schools for Years 7 and 8.

> This was the "standard" system across the independent sector, but there has been a change in the last decade or so with a number of independent day schools now taking boys in at Year 7 (11+) instead of Year 9 (13+). Children joining secondary schools in the state sector all change at Year 7 (11+).

> Names do not have to be put down at birth or any such young age. Applications are usually only due in when the boys are in first term of Year 6, and the testing process usually gets underway towards the end of that term itself.

> All girls change schools in Year 7 (11+), irrespective of whether they go to state or independent secondary schools.

> W&C, like all parents of children going to primary schools, will be aware of the change at 11+ / 13+.

> I have personal experience of some of the leading independent schools through my own children, and those of my close friends and families. I just do not see comments in relation to "old boys club" or the system reducing diversity as being justifiable. When it comes to ethnic diversity, most independent schools in London and the South of England, including the boarding schools, are very ethnically diverse. There are large number of children from South Asian and East Asian ethnicities.

Girls do move at 13. And presumably Charlotte will do. As a teacher I think I vaguely remember the issue of girls changing at 11 but that is gone with the thankfully increased co educational private education.

They will do their SATS at the end of Year 6 but will not do their 11 + at the beginning of Year 6. Which is a grammer school entry test to state schools in particular areas or to stand alone schools.

They won't have to do their 13 + (where each school has their own). They may do but I doubt it. They will probably go where they want to but hopefully as parents they will choose the right schools for their children ever if these are different, all Beatrice and Eugenie.

Anmer is a long way off from London, and is probably only going to be used as a holiday home in the medium term. It will probably get used over the school holidays only.

The Windsor home and KP will get used all the time as the family will move between the two homes regularly. Whilst no doubt a privileged position to be in, this is not an unusual arrangements for a lot of well-off London based families.

They currently spend all their time apart from weekdays at Amner. Most weekends and all holidays. It is their home. The only thing I think that prevents them from being their full time is the schooling issue amd the fact they would hardly see the children on weekdays.

I don't see them using Kensington at all from now on. If the kids are at school in Windsor that will be it. That they will come up to their office most days is probably a given. The kids won't. They will probably keep up Amner for holidays and weekends. As the kids get older though they will probably want to be in Windsor at weekends. Parties, meeting friends etc.

All makes sense to me, Anmer was never going to work full time being so far from London, and we now there have been concerns about the regularly flying back and forth between the two. School wise, I have to say I'm a little surprised they have decided to move them now when the likely hood is they would move for senior school anyway but I wonder if they are trying to future proof - sad to say we are getting close to a new reign and W&C will have an increased role. I wonder if the children's new school will be a boarding school, even if the children don't attend as borders it gives them the options, maybe even flexi-boarding. Being closer to the Middleton's means at least they'll be able to help out more easily.

I agree I don't think they'll use KP much as a family now. W&C may use it more but no one in their right mind is going to try and take the children from KP to a school near Windsor each day. Maybe in time the children may board and then W&C may use KP in the middle of the week before returning to Windsor. I suspect Anmer will be used in the school holidays, long Bank Holiday weekends etc.

Last edited:
All makes sense to me, Anmer was never going to work full time being so far from London, and we now there have been concerns about the regularly flying back and forth between the two. School wise, I have to say I'm a little surprised they have decided to move them now when the likely hood is they would move for senior school anyway but I wonder if they are trying to future proof - sad to say we are getting close to a new reign and W&C will have an increased role. I wonder if the children's new school will be a boarding school, even if the children don't attend as borders it gives them the options, maybe even flexi-boarding. Being closer to the Middleton's means at least they'll be able to help out more easily.

I think you are correct, this isn't just about them moving house, there is a bigger plan going on here. Joined up thinking as you might say, as the couples role increases, they will need support and we already know the Middletons are a good support so a great deal of sense in what you are saying,

I agree I don't think they'll use KP much as a family now. W&C may use it more but no one in their right mind is going to try and take the children from KP to a school near Windsor each day. Maybe in time the children may board and then W&C may use KP in the middle of the week before returning to Windsor. I suspect Anmer will be used in the school holidays, long Bank Holiday weekends etc.

Moving would never be great at any age because as one starts senior school where would the others be. But this year works really well to be honest and is a fairly typical time in the UK to move schools because the children are changing phase. Louis is starting. Charlotte is going to KS2 or prep or preparing dor prep and George moving to Upper KS2 and into Year 5.

Also Thomas's finishes at 11. And if they are going to send them to a public school what happens to them for those two years. It's a problem many families face. And they are obviously thinking about this and its a good time to move. I mean there are excellent London schools but being in the city and the media as they enter their teens would be a minefield.

Last edited:
Moving would never be great at any age because as one starts senior school where would the others be. But this year works really well to be honest and is a fairly typical time in the UK to move schools because the children are changing phase. Louis is starting. Charlotte is going to KS2 or prep or preparing dor prep and George moving to Upper KS2 and into Year 5.

Also Thomas's finishes at 11. And if they are going to send them to a public school what happens to them for those two years. It's a problem many families face. And they are obviously thinking about this and its a good time to move. I mean there are excellent London schools but being in the city and the media as they enter their teens would be a minefield.

Fair point re what may or may not be good timing. George starting at a new school for Year 5 makes sense as it gives him time to settle in before 11/13+ in Year 6. Charlotte is young enough, and Louis is only starting.

Thank you for explaining the school grade levels. I agree that this was the year to make the move as it allows for George to have two years before he switches to another school. Plus it's just the one school calendar that his parents will be following for all three children.

Thank you for explaining the school grade levels. I agree that this was the year to make the move as it allows for George to have two years before he switches to another school. Plus it's just the one school calendar that his parents will be following for all three children.

4. George presumably won't go to a second level school until Year 9.

William didn't get the 'worst A levels' in his year. Harry did but not William.

William did get the A levels required for St Andrews that year. To get into History of Art now takes a higher level than he got 20 years ago but he did meet the standard required when he went there. He was absolutely insistent that he would go to a uni or do a course for which he didn't get the grades, unlike his father and uncle who both went to Cambridge although neither had the grades for that university.

William got 3 A levels - 2 As and a C

Harry got 3 A levels - 1 B and 1 D

Catherine got 3 A levels - 2 As and 1 B (although another site I have seen says it was 1 A, 1B and 1C)

Beatrice had 1 A and 2 Bs while Eugenie earned 2 As and 1 B.
Responded with the specific A-levels of the royals in the more appropriate thread: Royal Education.

Diversity is more than just having large numbers of Asian children in a class room. If they are from the same social class, the class might be ethnically somewhat diverse (because I am sure there are non-Asian minorities in the UK as well!) but not socially. How many children for example have parents that did not go to university themselves? Of have parents working in 'blue collar' jobs?

There is quite some research indicating that an early admission is disadvantages for those less 'in the know', so it contributes to education inequality. However, I guess the prices of private education are the most important barrier in a country where 'richer families' send their children to private schools while 'poorer families' are left with the public system that no longer includes the more well-connected parts of society.

There are some top schools in central London/Westminster, notably Westminster School and St Paul's, but I'm not sure that George being in the metropolitan area and travelling around by Tube would be a good idea in terms of security and privacy.

Public schools for girls used to be age 11 onwards, but some of the places that were previously boys-only are now co-ed, including Marlborough College where both Kate and Eugenie went, and they take both boys and girls at 13.

Boarding school works really well for some children, but there's been a lot of talk in the media about how it can have a negative impact on family life. Boys were traditionally sent away to school at age 8, but they've obviously decided not to do that with George and Louis. I would think they'll go to Eton at 13, though. What happens for the two years between 11 and 13 remains to be seen.

There are some top schools in central London/Westminster, notably Westminster School and St Paul's, but I'm not sure that George being in the metropolitan area and travelling around by Tube would be a good idea in terms of security and privacy.

Public schools for girls used to be age 11 onwards, but some of the places that were previously boys-only are now co-ed, including Marlborough College where both Kate and Eugenie went, and they take both boys and girls at 13.

Boarding school works really well for some children, but there's been a lot of talk in the media about how it can have a negative impact on family life. Boys were traditionally sent away to school at age 8, but they've obviously decided not to do that with George and Louis. I would think they'll go to Eton at 13, though. What happens for the two years between 11 and 13 remains to be seen.

Well presumably if they are headed to Windsor, stay at whatever school they are in. All private schools that way go to 13. Who knows where they will go and I hope the parents match the school yo the children. Wellington to me looks like a big possibility. Kate seems very co ed focused.

Last edited:
Security is a good point - I read in one of those gossip column type things somewhere that parents had complained at the Cambridge protection officers having to leave their hybrid cars on to recharge the battery. Whether true or not (or more likely just one parent) it shows that being in a school in the middle of London creates problems that being in a school in Windsor or Berkshire in rolling fields may help alleviate.

but surely things like William hugging an old man is part of the relaxation and modernization?

I would think so.

If it is true that the Cambridges are moving to Windsor, does anyone know why? I am just wondering if it has anything to do with Prince George possibly going to Eton, as has been discussed in the posts above? Or, is it to be geographically closer to the Queen? I am just wondering. I think it is an exciting move and will be interesting to see if it happens.

If they are moving this summer musn’t there some renovations be going on?
Shouldn’t the papers been able to have found out where exactly they would be moving?

If it is true that the Cambridges are moving to Windsor, does anyone know why? I am just wondering if it has anything to do with Prince George possibly going to Eton, as has been discussed in the posts above? Or, is it to be geographically closer to the Queen? I am just wondering. I think it is an exciting move and will be interesting to see if it happens.

I think there are a few factors that could drive the decision to spend more time in Windsor:

> The children do need to the privacy to be able to grow up without being photographed. As of now, if the kids want to play in any garden larger than their small garden, they are out in Kensington Gardens, where they are in the public glare. There are security implications as well. A house on the Windsor estate will afford them privacy and security.

> It is understood that the Cambridges will live at the Castle in the next reign. C&C will be at Clarence House till the BP refurb is complete, and will retain Highgrove and Birkhall.

> Being closer to the Queen as her health potentially declines has to be a positive factor.

> It will also allow W&C to start to gradually exert some influence on the BP / Windsor machine, and bring it closer to the CH / KP operation.

> I do not think Eton is a factor. If George does indeed go there, it will not be for another 4 years. On exeat weekends, he will be able to come back to London quite easily, if required.

If they are moving this summer musn’t there some renovations be going on?
Shouldn’t the papers been able to have found out where exactly they would be moving?

I was there recently. There is something going on by the long walk just on side of Frogmore. Looks like building work. Many of these houses can’t be seen from the road though so who knows. Adelaide Cottage, which I personally think is likely, was renovated a number of years ago but you can’t see it from the road so no one would know.

I think there are a few factors that could drive the decision to spend more time in Windsor:

> The children do need to the privacy to be able to grow up without being photographed. As of now, if the kids want to play in any garden larger than their small garden, they are out in Kensington Gardens, where they are in the public glare. There are security implications as well. A house on the Windsor estate will afford them privacy and security.

> It is understood that the Cambridges will live at the Castle in the next reign. C&C will be at Clarence House till the BP refurb is complete, and will retain Highgrove and Birkhall.

> Being closer to the Queen as her health potentially declines has to be a positive factor.

> It will also allow W&C to start to gradually exert some influence on the BP / Windsor machine, and bring it closer to the CH / KP operation.

> I do not think Eton is a factor. If George does indeed go there, it will not be for another 4 years. On exeat weekends, he will be able to come back to London quite easily, if required.

Thanks. That makes sense.

I am not sure how credible this is.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-set-family-four-bedroom-Windsor-Estate.html

William and Kate choose their new home: Cambridges will 'move family into ''humble'' four-bedroom Adelaide Cottage in Windsor with no live-in staff' as the royal couple 'insist on nothing ''too showy'' or anything that needs renovating'

• Duke and Duchess of Cambridge set to move into four bed Adelaide Cottage on Windsor Estate this summer
  • The couple's children George, eight, Charlotte, seven, and Louis, four, are expected to start school locally
  • Prince William and Kate reportedly confirmed the decision so they could be closer to the Queen, 96
  • The Cambridge's move follows months of speculation that the senior royal family were looking to move

No live-in staff? At the very least is the kids nanny Maria. I also thought they had live-in housekeepers too? Unless George is off to boarding school

No live-in staff? At the very least is the kids nanny Maria. I also thought they had live-in housekeepers too? Unless George is off to boarding school

Conveniently there are two houses on the plot. The Cottage which is quiet large and the Lodge like two steps away from it. They are linked by a tunnel.

Adelaide Cottage. Hardly the image of a pretty standard 4 bed house. I am sure they are more. The Cottage is the larger white building and the Lodge, which looks itself a substantial house, is the red brick. It is the obvious one for them.

Eugenie is only in Portugal some of the time as far as I understand.

https://scenetherapy.com/adelaide-cottage-in-windsor-home-park/

Adelaide Cottage. Hardly the image of a pretty standard 4 bed house. I am sure they are more. The Cottage is the larger white building and the Lodge, which looks itself a substantial house, is the red brick. It is the obvious one for them.

Eugenie is only in Portugal some of the time as far as I understand.

https://scenetherapy.com/adelaide-cottage-in-windsor-home-park/

As royal residences go, it is hardly the most grand. But it is well located, and to me, the major positive is that it does not require any major work to be carried out. Whilst unclear how long the Cambridge family will live here, it will not be decades.

What horrid buildings! I like old buildings, but not these. But if it suits their purpose and are happy to move in there, best wishes to them. [emoji846]

Conveniently there are two houses on the plot. The Cottage which is quiet large and the Lodge like two steps away from it. They are linked by a tunnel.

Thanks for that! :flowers:
Seeing some of the pics of the place, it's quite substantial. It will afford them the privacy they want for the kids

Well the more I think about it the more staff may actually be the biggest change here.

While is says there will be no-live in staff, this isn't unusual at Windsor where the estate has literally hundreds of other properties staff may live in. Frogmore Cottage, for example, had no live in staff but still had housekeepers etc who visited regularly. I suspect obviously they will be getting some help housekeeping support etc. I wonder though if that will come from their own staff or existing staff on the estate or from the Castle.

It does make me wonder though - will Nanny Maria be staying on after the move? All three children in school, close to Catherine's family to help out. We know the Cambridge's tend not to do all that many public duties in school holidays...will they keep a nanny on?
Likewise I wonder what will happen to the staff at Anmer and KP - I can't see them keeping staff on full time at all 3 residences.Most likely the Anmer staff may well not work full time at present as the family do only use it at weekends and holidays. I wonder though what will happen to the KP residence staff. A move to Windsor or new jobs?

Big changes a head it seems

Well the more I think about it the more staff may actually be the biggest change here.

While is says there will be no-live in staff, this isn't unusual at Windsor where the estate has literally hundreds of other properties staff may live in. Frogmore Cottage, for example, had no live in staff but still had housekeepers etc who visited regularly. I suspect obviously they will be getting some help housekeeping support etc. I wonder though if that will come from their own staff or existing staff on the estate or from the Castle.

It does make me wonder though - will Nanny Maria be staying on after the move? All three children in school, close to Catherine's family to help out. We know the Cambridge's tend not to do all that many public duties in school holidays...will they keep a nanny on?
Likewise I wonder what will happen to the staff at Anmer and KP - I can't see them keeping staff on full time at all 3 residences.Most likely the Anmer staff may well not work full time at present as the family do only use it at weekends and holidays. I wonder though what will happen to the KP residence staff. A move to Windsor or new jobs?

Big changes a head it seems

If the kids are not going to boarding school (which I think is the most likely scenario), Maria will stay as their Nanny. With the Queen essentially handing over more and more to Prince Charles, Prince William and Catherine will be required a lot more from now on. As much as Catherine's parents are nearby, they are still running a business. Maria will be needed especially as I think we will see William and Catherine carrying the burden of doing overseas tours than Prince Charles and Camilla.

From the reports in the news, it seems like the corporate jobs within their household will stay at KP and will travel to Windsor when required. Covid has taught us all that face-to-face meetings are not always required - they can easily Zoom their employees from anywhere. As for housekeeping - if they are moving to Adelaide Cottage, which has an outhouse, maybe they already have a skeleton crew - i.e. Nanny plus 2-3 housekeepers that travel with them between homes

Last edited:
There is another obvious advantage to having William in Windsor. If a regency- or semi regency should become necessary, William’s frequent presence with the Queen will be very helpful to Charles.

I thought they would move to Fort Belvedere, that home is gorgeous. But someone lives there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom