The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-31-2020, 07:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It mentions the summer vacation true. But it has been reported that they were sighted during October break on vacation there as well. No photos, but comments from people who spotted them. That they rented a smaller four bedroom cottage this time.

Indeed in the summer the UK government promoted staycations. But as you pointed out that has changed.

Yes, this is the Cambridge family's second staycation this year on the Scilly Islands.

There was a lot of information about their summer visit in July - travel by helicopter, William and Kate seen cycling, people speaking with them, a seal-spotting boat trip, staying at "Dolphin House" on Tresco.

Good they got a chance to visit again before this next big lockdown the UK is facing starts.

Hopefully a few snippets will emerge about this October holiday, apart from the weather change.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:59 PM
Nobility

I don't know if it is right to move around during this Covid-shut-down time but I think it's right to the Cambridges to take advantage of the several homes that the Royalty have.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:12 PM
Serene Highness

Just to be clear, they weren't in shutdown when they went on holiday. They did what a lot families did during half term they went on a staycation. Let's not get carried away here.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Just to be clear, they weren't in shutdown when they went on holiday. They did what a lot families did during half term they went on a staycation. Let's not get carried away here.
Yes, I think it's also good to know there has been some "upside" during these times of Covid.

Not everything and everyone has been knocked over by it.

With so many people not being able to travel to the Gold Coast, Bali, Thailand etc during our recent winter, locals have still spent money and have helped the economy in places that usually have a quiet time of it during these past months.

My home state of Tasmania - after a bad outbreak that the Army was flown in from the mainland to help out with - has had a bumper winter.

It's been Covid free there for a while now and people were clamouring to get out and about even though they couldn't leave the state.

Local accommodation couldn't fit everyone in during the school holidays, and this was during the worse weather months of the year.

I expect a lot of places, local places, have benefited from "captive" populations.

I've never seen so many people fishing as families about the Harbour here in Sydney and partying in the parks.

I think there will be a boom bounce back when this is finally defeated - that is defeated enough, like HIV and other viruses that still lurk about, but aren't rampaging.

Plenty of local holiday spots have probably enjoyed the same phenomenon in the UK, including the Scillies.

And of course, the Cambridges have significant ties to the area that will really kick in as time goes on, so it's great they are becoming part of the life there even now.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
In 2019 you may have been right.

Unfortunately in 2020 with huge amounts of families struggling to just keep the power on even 'staycations' are not possible. Taking two family holidays, and even if its still in the UK, is not 'what a lot of families are doing'.

Its not carried away not to be blind to the economic situation of the country.

Most families would be thrilled to have a number of country homes in their family to chose from, for a 'term break'.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017

Deleted post
Old 11-01-2020, 11:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Not sure taking multiple holidays when your country is in different stages of lockdown and people are struggling with no jobs, lack of money and so on, is the best image to portray right now. Especially when you have a large country home with plenty of space to get away from things for your school break.

I have no doubt they were safe as possible though with the restrictions.

Hoping the kids enjoyed the time.
Until last night when the PM announced a new national lockdown from Thursday, it was perfectly okay to travel around the country, barring specific areas in lockdown. I have several friends who have taken breaks over the half term, they all talked about empty hotels and how sad it was to see these businesses suffering. I think it is good the Cambridge's could get away, and contribute to the local economy.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Unfortunately in 2020 with huge amounts of families struggling to just keep the power on even 'staycations' are not possible. Taking two family holidays, and even if its still in the UK, is not 'what a lot of families are doing'.

Its not carried away not to be blind to the economic situation of the country.

Most families would be thrilled to have a number of country homes in their family to chose from, for a 'term break'.
The only point is that by taking a local trip, the Cambridge's have contributed to the local economy, saved local jobs and not inconvenienced anybody. Can't see anything wrong with that.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:27 AM
Serene Highness

The UK is using a tier system, different areas under differing guidelines. This obviously will change for England in the coming days .
Old 11-01-2020, 11:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The UK is using a tier system, different areas under differing guidelines. This obviously will change for England in the coming days .
But that's changed now. Travel will be discouraged if not necessary from next week
Old 11-01-2020, 11:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
But that's changed now. Travel will be discouraged if not necessary from next week
As I said changes for England in the next few days,and as you pointed out that includes travel.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:48 AM
Royal Highness

A different article I read seemed to suggest they spent half term at Amner. That would also fit in with baking cakes for veterans in Norfolk a week ago.

If they also spent a few days in Cornwall, I don't think it's that big a deal as long as they were following all the rules. Yes they have a lot of options other people don't but I also don't necessarily see a private stay in the Scilies as flaunting it. Plenty of people went on holiday over the last couple of weeks and some places were begging people to come after cancellations.

Now if they break the rules during lockdown or are otherwise seen moving to and from Amner/KP for non work/essential reasons then yeah, they should be criticised if that happens.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Yes, this is the Cambridge family's second staycation this year on the Scilly Islands.

There was a lot of information about their summer visit in July - travel by helicopter, William and Kate seen cycling, people speaking with them, a seal-spotting boat trip, staying at "Dolphin House" on Tresco.

Good they got a chance to visit again before this next big lockdown the UK is facing starts.

Hopefully a few snippets will emerge about this October holiday, apart from the weather change.
Ah, I see, I must've missed the bit about the Cambridges staying away again.

In that case I agree that it doesn't seem like a good move with the rate infections and cases are rising here in England. I can imagine the Scilly Islands don't have many cases, but it nevertheless should be the Cambridges duty to be a role model to the people. Even though there wasn't a lockdown in the half term, it still doesn't seem very responsible to me. I guess I'm just extra cautious as someone who is at risk and has been staying in my local area pretty much all the time this pandemic has been happening.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-01-2020, 06:15 PM
Royal Highness

William had Covid in April it's now been revealed.

He was "hit pretty hard by the virus - it really knocked him for six".

People around him panicked when he was struggling to breathe at one stage.

He continued with telephone and video calls while ill and quarantining at Anmer Hall.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rus-April.html
Old 11-01-2020, 06:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
William had Covid in April it's now been revealed.

He was "hit pretty hard by the virus - it really knocked him for six".

People around him panicked when he was struggling to breathe at one stage.

He continued with telephone and video calls while ill and quarantining at Anmer Hall.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rus-April.html
Like father, like son. The Cambridge family has shown to be one that adhered to and took seriously every recommended precaution and followed guidelines as an example to all of us. It doesn't surprise me one bit that William did not want it public at the time that he'd contracted the virus himself. That way, it kept the focus on what *needed* to be done and news reports were not centered around him individually. It was the same with Charles. He got it, he went into isolation but yet continued to do what he could remotely.

That, my friends, is leadership.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Why was it kept secret? I actually have serious questions about that. What else is being hidden. There was no need to keep the public in the dark about that especially when he turned around and was doing public engagements.

They saying Kate and the kids did not have it despite he was quarantined with them since March. Who did he get it from? Then again who knows if they did or didn't. We just learning about William now...
Old 11-01-2020, 07:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Why was it kept secret? I actually have serious questions about that. What else is being hidden. There was no need to keep the public in the dark about that especially when he turned around and was doing public engagements.

They saying Kate and the kids did not have it despite he was quarantined with them since March. Who did he get it from? Then again who knows if they did or didn't. We just learning about William now...
Probably to avoid all those panicked succession crisis headlines . With Charles and William sick we would have had a lot of George is only 6 what happens now type of stories and with Boris Johnson also contracting it around the same time there was already enough uncertainty .
Old 11-01-2020, 07:14 PM
Majesty

How trustworthy is this news? Has it been confirmed by any official sources?
Old 11-01-2020, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by akina21 View Post
Probably to avoid all those panicked succession crisis headlines . With Charles and William sick we would have had a lot of George is only 6 what happens now type of stories and with Boris Johnson also contracting it around the same time there was already enough uncertainty .

I agree. If the reported information is true, then the decision to not release the news was likely to avoid the crisis stories. Fortunately the PoW, DoCam and PM Johnson have all recovered from their COVID 19 illnesses.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:17 PM
Nobility

If it's true, I have to say that the Cambridge team/staffs are top notch, especially their PR/Communication team. British media is a beast with a nose that can rival tracking dog. And this news only surfacing now? Really?

I was wondering why something as huge as Earthshot didn't make any mention/speculation in the 2 years it's been developed (big money, big names, etc) so it then can be launched with a bang. And now this.

My word, what kind of magic they have?