General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think the queen is so vain????

It wasn't about vanity, more about The Crown. HM was never vain, but has and always will be protective about the position of being the Sovereign.

It wasn't about vanity, more about The Crown. HM was never vain, but has and always will be protective about the position of being the Sovereign.
The queen is the queen. She knows that and I dont think that she worries about "which royal is the more popular" any more than Philip did....

Wonder where their all off too?
The dog looks excited.

Maybe Norfolk?

I don't think all five of them should be on one helicopter though. Surely there are protocols for who flies with who?

And do you really think there will be a single american not visiting Britain or europe only because Harry and Meghan have left...?! Come on!
It will always be the magic of the institution of monarchy and the history, the palaces, the Guards in front of it that matter to tourists.

I completely agree with this...I happen to love British history and Royalty, but even my fellow Americans who don’t know much about it are drawn like moths to a flame to the pageantry, the vague history they do know, etc... I love William and Kate, but I don’t see why even their staunchest fans would visit BP, Tower of London and other Royal sites because of them. If you asked a hundred people outside the two specific sites I mentioned why they were there, I guarantee you that no one would say “I came to BP/ToL because I love W/K/H”, etc...

I’ll also mention that there are people who adore HM, who actually do love Charles, Anne, etc...I’m one of them, and they’re still not the reason overall that I’m fascinated by Royal history (mostly because they are a small part of it)

Maybe Norfolk?

I don't think all five of them should be on one helicopter though. Surely there are protocols for who flies with who?

The family flies together around the UK and overseas. Honestly I believe that like most people living in the 21st century that they're more likely to be involved in a traffic accident together than in a plane or helicopter crash. As I recollect, I believe that the British Royal Family no longer follows that protocol.

The family flies together around the UK and overseas. Honestly I believe that like most people living in the 21st century that they're more likely to be involved in a traffic accident together than in a plane or helicopter crash. As I recollect, I believe that the British Royal Family no longer follows that protocol.

To my recollection, that protocol only kicks in when the children are a bit older (I want to say 12), and would only apply to William and George traveling together. It does seem fairly useless against catastrophic accidents. And you're right, car accidents are far more likely, and I don't think there have ever been any separations there?

To my recollection, that protocol only kicks in when the children are a bit older (I want to say 12), and would only apply to William and George traveling together. It does seem fairly useless against catastrophic accidents. And you're right, car accidents are far more likely, and I don't think there have ever been any separations there?
Thanks Pinsara.

I really don't think that attracting tourists to Buckingham Palace is the main reason for any change to the Cambridges' modus operandi, and I doubt that anyone is going to rush to cross the Atlantic just because they watched a video on You Tube :) . I've been to a long list of royal palaces across Europe and beyond, but none of that was because of any one particular person, either present day or historical.

I actually wish that they wouldn't all travel together ... I know there's more risk of a car accident than a helicopter accident, but it still makes me nervous!

When I see a helicopter I always think of the late club owner of Leicester and his fatal accident...
Dont think they should travel together.

Yes I agree. Even though rationally I know flying is safer than driving it still makes me nervous to think they're all on the same aircraft.

There was an entire British family killed a few years ago in a helicopter crash near Sydney NSW.

Last edited:
Yes I agree. Even though rationally I know flying is safer than driving it still makes me nervous to think they're all on the same aircraft.

There was an entire British family killed a few years ago in a helicopter crash near Sydney NSW.

I remember that. It was a sea plane not a helicopter though. I do agree with your unease even though rationally I know helicopters are statistically safer than cars.

I think it was Princess Margaret's death or possibly the Queen Mother's where the news specifically announced that HM had given Charles and the boys special permission to fly back from holiday to RAF Northolt on the same plane and that was the first time I heard about the rule.

The rule, in the UK, used to be that the monarch and heir couldn't fly together ever (interestingly that was brought in after the death of Prince Philip's sister Cecilie and her family in a plane crash ... little did they know, when they did that the Philip was going to marry the heir to the British throne about 10 years later).

The Queen never flew with Charles but travelled with him by all other means. I know I was upset when The Queen flew into the town where I was at school in 1970, with Philip and Anne but not Charles as that would have meant the Queen and her heir on the one plane.

Diana and Charles insisted on that protocol changing in 1983 when they insisted on bringing William down under and so the age limit was introduced of 12. That was then enforced with William not flying anywhere with Charles although there were a couple of exceptions allowed e.g. after the Queen Mother died and the Wales' were all in Switzerland permission was given for the three of them to fly back to the UK on one plane rather than have one of the three of them alone.

I too would like them to reconsider this rule.

William & Catherine: years before marriage

It seems all the threads talking about specific events in their dating relationship are closed.

I came across this article about a college classmate from St Andrews who talks about how it was clear very early on that William and Catherine had a special bond/that something was going on between them.

I’m not sure if this article belongs here or not. It’s a compare/contrast of William and Harry’s choices and approaches to life. It’s a clear response to Harry’s latest round of complaints, but it’s also a thoughtful look at both men.

And I found the William section interesting.

The Telegraph
William and Harry: two dukes – two very different approaches to happiness

https://www.yahoo.com/news/william-harry-two-dukes-two-165224624.html

I particularly liked how the author noted the thoughtful, cautious approach William has taken to his life. He’s tried to learn from the past- and has said so directly. He just managed to accomplish this- publicly anyway- in a pretty kind, thoughtful, considerate manner that rejects neither of his parents.

“William desperately wanted to avoid the sort of painful divorce his parents went through and it took him seven years of battling between emotion and stiff upper lip to trust Kate enough to ask her to marry him. It was obvious how important his choice had been when, during their engagement interview, he said he had waited so long to give her time “to back out if she needed to before it all got too much”, adding significantly: “I have wanted to try to learn from lessons in the past.” He felt that Kate might in the end still have turned him down.”

Anyway- excellent points were made about both men imo.

:previous:Great article and thank you for sharing it.

A small number of people have been hospitalised due to the "Indian variant", and we're hearing that practically all of them are people who are eligible to be vaccinated (due to their age or medical vulnerabilities) but, for whatever reason, haven't been. Around 95% of people over 45 - people between 34 and 44 are now able to book vaccinations too - have had at least one jab, but that still leaves 5% who haven't.

It's so important for everyone to be vaccinated, and I'm glad that Prince William has chosen a) to be vaccinated as soon as people in his age group became eligible and b) to make this public.

Last edited:
The comments though ... seems like many are distracted by his guns :lol::lol:

I think we've become used to dad dancing, balding William and forgotten that it wasn't that long ago he used to be very active for his job and still plays football and goes to the gym.

But I mean, win-win for making his covid vaccine public and getting some appreciation for his arms.

I think we've become used to dad dancing, balding William and forgotten that it wasn't that long ago he used to be very active for his job and still plays football and goes to the gym.

But I mean, win-win for making his covid vaccine public and getting some appreciation for his arms.

LOL before I saw the photo, I thought the reference was to real guns ??

It's so important for everyone to be vaccinated, and I'm glad that Prince William has chosen a) to be vaccinated as soon as people in his age group became eligible and b) to make this public.

Agreed. Hopefully, this will be encouragement for other people to get vaccinated.

Thank you to everyone involved in the development of this vaccine. Thank you to all who organized its distribution. Thank you to those putting shots in arms all around the globe.

I’m not sure if this article belongs here or not. It’s a compare/contrast of William and Harry’s choices and approaches to life. It’s a clear response to Harry’s latest round of complaints, but it’s also a thoughtful look at both men.

The Telegraph

I particularly liked how the author noted the thoughtful, cautious approach William has taken to his life. He’s tried to learn from the past- and has said so directly. He just managed to accomplish this- publicly anyway- in a pretty kind, thoughtful, considerate manner that rejects neither of his parents.

“William desperately wanted to avoid the sort of painful divorce his parents went through and it took him seven years of battling between emotion and stiff upper lip to trust Kate enough to ask her to marry him. It was obvious how important his choice had been when, during their engagement interview, he said he had waited so long to give her time “to back out if she needed to before it all got too much”, adding significantly: “I have wanted to try to learn from lessons in the past.” He felt that Kate might in the end still have turned him down.”

There is no magic formula to settling down. Bea was following the same "get to know you" formula with Dave Clark and he dropped her after 10 years and married someone else a relatively short time later. William did confess publicly he was too young to marry and he also was seeing other women. So I don't think it exactly was a "thought out" formula. I think Kate would not have said no if he proposed as early as 2007.

Charles himself confessed he was interested in someone else and preferred her to Diana (he confessed this to Dimbleby). William was not in the same situation by any means.

Harry dated Meghan for about 2 years so it's not like they impulsively boarded a plane and married in a chapel in Las Vegas.

I mean, I'm not above appreciating the arms...:whistling:

But in all seriousness, good for him for not only being vaccinated but for showing the world rather than just telling us about it after the fact. Always nice to see people leading by example.

American politicians have done this also. But those not famous have been warned not to post their getting a vaccine and the certificate on social media. Lest counterfeit certificates of vaccines get manufactured. Not going to happen though with the famous.

I mean, I'm not above appreciating the arms...:whistling:

But in all seriousness, good for him for not only being vaccinated but for showing the world rather than just telling us about it after the fact. Always nice to see people leading by example.

:previous: Good post and he waited until his age group was approved to receive the vaccine. Oh yes I agree about the arms too.;)

The Telegraph

Interesting that William's uncle Edward and most of his cousins also engaged in longer courtships prior to marrying. Edward and Sophie have been married longer than any of his siblings. Zara and Eugenie also were with their husbands for many years before announcing their engagements. Now it isn't a guarantee that the marriages will last ie: Peter and Autumn but it is a good start IMO. It would appear that the Queen's grandchildren are taking this into consideration especially since their parents' first marriages ended in divorce.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no "magic" formula. I thought that Autumn and Peter were ideally matched and had a successful courtship pacing themselves, but they are divorcing albeit amicably. And Bea and Dave dated for years he was very friendly with his possible inlaws but he broke things up. Some relationships though I think should be ended if there are doubts--and Dave seemed to have doubts because he broke up with Bea and married someone else soon afterward. And if Bea saw "warning signs" perhaps she should have called it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom