The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2020, 11:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
SLV-From what I have read the British government is asking that the youngest students (Charlotte's age group) be the first to return to in person instruction. George's age group would be starting later.
They can ask all they want but it is up to the child's parents to decide if/when their child will return.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

When does summer break start? Here no schools are going back till fall, assuming they can go back then.

LaRae

Old 06-03-2020, 11:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Why are we discussing whether Charlotte is going back, but not George? Aren't they in the same school?
Because the schools in the UK re-opened only for Reception, Year 1 and Year 6, so Charlotte can go, but George has to continue online. Though at this point we don't even know if St Thomas's (their school) re-opened at all.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
When does summer break start? Here no schools are going back till fall, assuming they can go back then.

St Thomas’ break up for summer holidays on Friday 3rd July so Charlotte would be going back for 4 weeks.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
They can ask all they want but it is up to the child's parents to decide if/when their child will return.

Yes and I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear in my post. In the U.S. there are school districts which are taking surveys to determine if the families will be in favor of in person instruction, continuing online instruction or a hybrid of the two.

I would presume that St. Thomas has already surveyed their families.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
SLV-From what I have read the British government is asking that the youngest students (Charlotte's age group) be the first to return to in person instruction. George's age group would be starting later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
Because the schools in the UK re-opened only for Reception, Year 1 and Year 6, so Charlotte can go, but George has to continue online. Though at this point we don't even know if St Thomas's (their school) re-opened at all.
Ah, I see. Now I understand.
Thank you both.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Yes and I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear in my post. In the U.S. there are school districts which are taking surveys to determine if the families will be in favor of in person instruction, continuing online instruction or a hybrid of the two.

I would presume that St. Thomas has already surveyed their families.
> I do not know if St Thomas' surveyed the parents or not, but other than for planning purposes, the results of the survey have no bearing on what follows.

> In the UK, the government guidelines are clear, and individual schools have no wriggle room. Reception Year 1 and Year 6 are now open till the summer break. Year 10 & 12 have to be provided some face to face access to their teachers before the end of the academic year. Children from no other years, other than those of key workers, are allowed back to school at this stage.

> Whilst the schools are open as described above, it is for individual parents to decide whether to send their children in. It is only the first week fter schools reopened, but attendance levels are not great at this stage.

> In this context, it is very much the choice of W&C as to whether Charlotte attends or not. George certainly will not.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:30 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
> I do not know if St Thomas' surveyed the parents or not, but other than for planning purposes, the results of the survey have no bearing on what follows.

> In the UK, the government guidelines are clear, and individual schools have no wriggle room. Reception Year 1 and Year 6 are now open till the summer break. Year 10 & 12 have to be provided some face to face access to their teachers before the end of the academic year. Children from no other years, other than those of key workers, are allowed back to school at this stage.

This isn’t actually correct, schools in the North West especially have surveyed parents and because of that surveys schools have chosen not to reopen. Some are open for the small amount of key worker children but they have not reopened to Reception, Year 1 and Year 6.

The Education Minister actually requested that all schools in Bury, Manchester remain closed due to the North West having the highest amount of cases outside of London.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
This isn’t actually correct, schools in the North West especially have surveyed parents and because of that surveys schools have chosen not to reopen. Some are open for the small amount of key worker children but they have not reopened to Reception, Year 1 and Year 6.

The Education Minister actually requested that all schools in Bury, Manchester remain closed due to the North West having the highest amount of cases outside of London.
You are right, @Lumutqueen. I fear my post was written with a London hat on squarely!
Old 06-04-2020, 03:43 AM
Serene Highness

I believe that schools in the Bury council area are due to reopen to Year 6 pupils next week now, along with Stockport. Oldham are reopening theirs earlier, the Manchester city council area's OKd opening now ... so it's different even within the space of a few miles.

However, as I understand it, head teachers and the boards of governors are being left to make the ultimate decision about reopening, once councils have given the go-ahead. The local council in the area where my sister lives has said that schools can reopen, but my nephews' head teacher has said that no pupils can go back until the end of June. As Charlotte's at a private school, it will definitely be up to the school to make the final decision.

And parents will not be fined for keeping children off school.

It's all very confusing!

But the Cambridges' case is different from most, because they're spending lockdown in a house that is a long way from their children's school. They'd have to go back to London, and they wouldn't have all the grounds they've got an Anmer for George and Louis to play out in.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:06 AM
Majesty

I don't think it would be advisable... for C to go back, as the Cambridges are in Anmer. But it is up to them to decide... but although lockdown has eased up a bit look at all the fuss about Boris J's adviser who went to Durham with his child...?
Old 06-04-2020, 04:37 AM
Serene Highness

I don't think people are allowed to travel to their second homes and as the Cambridges have been living in Norfolk for the duration, moving the whole family back to London just for one child to attend school for a few weeks might set an unhelpful precedent.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I don't think people are allowed to travel to their second homes and as the Cambridges have been living in Norfolk for the duration, moving the whole family back to London just for one child to attend school for a few weeks might set an unhelpful precedent.
Very fair point.

As regards unhelpful precedents in this regard, IMO, the actions of one D Cummins Esq and the subsequent inaction by one Rt Hon A B P Johnson leave much to think about.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Very fair point.

As regards unhelpful precedents in this regard, IMO, the actions of one D Cummins Esq and the subsequent inaction by one Rt Hon A B P Johnson leave much to think about.
Yes I mentioned that, I couldn't remember the man's name. There was also commentary about the Royals going to country houses too, but IMO that was sensible... provided they stay there until lockdown is completely lifted. I think that ther'es no need for them to return to London, Charlotte's not going to have problems if she misses some school at her age and there is the on line teaching anyway...
Old 06-06-2020, 11:18 AM
Courtier

To mark the Volunteers' Week KP released a photo of William, George and Charlotte, when they were delivering food to people on Sandringham Estate:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZ0yanoX...name=4096x4096
Old 06-06-2020, 12:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
To mark the Volunteers' Week KP released a photo of William, George and Charlotte, when they were delivering food to people on Sandringham Estate:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZ0yanoX...name=4096x4096
lovely. but who lives in sandringham estate? is this people who work for the palace and the BRF mostly? because if that is the case, i wonder if they are the people who need most help.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:35 PM
Majesty

It's from the same day that Charlotte's birthday pictures were released. I believe it was said at that time they were delivering food to the elderly living on the Estate.

So, no, they don't work for the royal family - and like other elderly weren't supposed to leave their homes.

This article provides some interesting background information on the 300 rental units on the Estate.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
lovely. but who lives in sandringham estate? is this people who work for the palace and the BRF mostly? because if that is the case, i wonder if they are the people who need most help.
I think they own and rent out property in the surrounding villages. It's a very remote area. Its not the workers persae.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
The Sandringham Estate consist of more than 10 villages, not all people who live there are employees of BRF - well, probably most of them are not. Just normal, regular people, who rent one of the properties there.

The Cambridges chose to help their local community.. I honestly don't understand how anyone could have problem with that. And even if these people might've not been the people who need help the most, it doesn't mean they didn't need any help.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:45 PM
Majesty

They are not going to travel around the UK which has been forbidden.. just so they can "seek out the people who need most help". they are helping those who need help locally...