The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-27-2020, 04:52 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
You are correct that is their joy. They have a royal work life and a private life. Within that private life they have a tight knit circle of friends who do not betray them, William was known to set traps for new' friends' to see if they could be trusted, any tip offs to the press and they were out. They know they need the press to promote whatever charity or event the are leading on at the time but they do not want stories about themselves in the papers every day.
They do not need that kind of press and do not encourage it. I personally think they have found a decent balance with regards the press.
Maybe this is one of their traps. Tell the story to a friend and see if that friend leaks it anywhere.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd always heard that the editor was friendly with Catherine.- I found this quote about him:

Much has been made of his connections. There is a transparent brand-building exercise that involves the repeated mention of his great-grandfather, First World War Field Marshal Earl Haig, and the fact that he went to St Andrews University and studied history of art there at the same time as Kate Middleton, and Prince William, who did geography.

Were they friends? "Not super-close," he says. He met William "a couple of times" before, but uni was "a small circle" and he went on "a few holidays with Kate". When? Where? "The summer I graduated, we went on two holidays together, back-to-back in France. I think she's lovely."

It doesn't sound like he was besties with Catherine merely that they were at the same uni at the same time and went on a few holidays. I suspect these were big group holidays, given that Catherine doesn't seem to have all that many friends from uni maybe some of those common connection people have drifted a little or feel bitter they aren't still on amazing terms with the future Queen.

[...]

Old 05-27-2020, 07:53 PM
Courtier

This seems to be a re-hashing of all the old attacks on the Middletons, with the added twist of "the increased duties are weighing on Catherine," spun to make her seem like an out-of-touch, privileged whiner. I think Tatler is just wheeling out these old attacks for an increased audience now that there is a renewed interest in The Royal Family, particularly in the United States, and many people will not have heard these tired criticisms before now. For those of us who have followed The Royal Family for decades, it is nothing but a reminder of the personal attacks that Catherine and her family have endured for nearly twenty years now without putting a foot wrong or voicing a word of complaint.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:30 PM
Royal Highness

Richard Kay is now helping in the push-back on the Tatler situation.

(Remember the push-back help he provided on the Rose situation last year.)

I like his articles - he writes about something without being inflammatory.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lace-fury.html
Old 05-27-2020, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post

Thanks for sharing Sun Lion.

Quote:
his seems to be a re-hashing of all the old attacks on the Middletons, with the added twist of "the increased duties are weighing on Catherine," spun to make her seem like an out-of-touch, privileged whiner. I think Tatler is just wheeling out these old attacks for an increased audience now that there is a renewed interest in The Royal Family, particularly in the United States, and many people will not have heard these tired criticisms before now. For those of us who have followed The Royal Family for decades, it is nothing but a reminder of the personal attacks that Catherine and her family have endured for nearly twenty years now without putting a foot wrong or voicing a word of complaint.
Yes HighGoalHighDreams there are likely many new royal watchers who are unaware that these comments about Catherine and her family have been around for years now.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:27 AM
Nobility

Well, Scobie posted interesting info:
https://twitter.com/scobie/status/1265673680564170752

Quote:
Omid Scobie
@scobie
Replying to @TheBlogtini
Yes, all rather silly. Especially during this particular moment in time. However, royal sources told me yesterday that KP first learned about the feature on Tuesday morning, which contradicts Tatler's claims.
10:58 PM · May 27, 2020·Twitter Web App
I thought this was how tabloids will turn back to their earlier "Lazy Kaity" narrative, but apparently they go further to "modern Mrs Bennet" and "Wisteria Sisters" all over again
Old 05-28-2020, 03:05 AM
Gentry

Wow. Kate has literally almost 2 decades of bad press behind her especially by upper blue blood class women. Carole was never forgiven for ensuring her daughters' future/entrance in the upper middle class crowd through education/sending her daughters' to the right schools to make the right connections.

Ever since Kate came on the scene she had bad press: from luring the Prince in with her whorish ways (e.g the lingerie catwalk), to keeping him at her side by being always available (for sex - cue waity katy) to being a stupid blank wood stepford wife (her early years of marriage and being absolutely useless in India), to running to mommy while pregnant with George and cutting William further from his family, to all the articles about how Carole wanted to keep both William & George under her thumb and separate them from the RF etc. People really have a short memory.

Things only got slightly better after Charlotte was born, then she was bland again when smart & ambitious & driven Meghan arrived and then she was good again when the Sussexes image started to suffer. No Sussex now so they can go back to Kate.

This is typical anti Kate piece. I think the Sussexes have their own issues and no time nor need to spend money on dissing the Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:17 AM
Administrator

Posts containing speculative conspiracy theories or seek to bring the Duke and Duchess of Sussex into the discussion have been edited or removed (including responses). Please stick to the facts as we know them and avoid speculation, rumour and gossip.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:42 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
This seems to be a re-hashing of all the old attacks on the Middletons, with the added twist of "the increased duties are weighing on Catherine," spun to make her seem like an out-of-touch, privileged whiner. I think Tatler is just wheeling out these old attacks for an increased audience now that there is a renewed interest in The Royal Family, particularly in the United States, and many people will not have heard these tired criticisms before now. For those of us who have followed The Royal Family for decades, it is nothing but a reminder of the personal attacks that Catherine and her family have endured for nearly twenty years now without putting a foot wrong or voicing a word of complaint.
You are correct it is a reminder of how vile the media was to Kate and her family over the years, it was shelved in the past few years but they obviously they need another target so it is back out again.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post

I like Kay also!

Wow....the article seems far worse than I even feared. This seems a hatchet job on Kate - and for some reason, her family. Automatically that makes it worthy of nothing more than lining a bird cage. This reeks of a vengeance piece, a way to counter certain other articles that have been written over the last months. Otherwise, why the attack on Kate’s mother and sister? Oh and criticizing Pippa for sounding like the Queen sounds like an attack on HM as well, as if there’s something wrong with it. Perhaps the article is also a way for Anna Pasternak to gain attention for her book on Wallis Simpson and eventual movie. How low can you go bringing Diana into it? How dare she try and tarnish William’s relationship with his mum? I’m surprised Charles wasn’t dragged through the mud...

Instead of a profile of Kate, this seems to be almost a way to dirty up her well-earned lovely image - as if Tatler thinks she’s too boring as is. Like I said yesterday, everyone would understand if Kate were feeling overwhelmed, but she’s never expressed that sort of seething anger and resentment. It’s a stupid article because it’s unbelievable.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:52 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
You are correct it is a reminder of how vile the media was to Kate and her family over the years, it was shelved in the past few years but they obviously they need another target so it is back out again.
I ask as I have before why is this tolerated? Why is the price that women marrying into the BRF so high? Why are the women just supposed to shut up and take it? Since the other target is gone just revert back to the "work shy, social climbing" thing again?
Old 05-28-2020, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

You are asking a very good question. Unfortunately it's not just limited to the BRF as I've seen similar stories written about most of the European, Asian and Middle Eastern women who marry into a royal family.

From what I have observed, most courts follow a policy that is based upon "Never complain, never explain." The premise being that if they don't acknowledge it or give a response that the story will eventually fade away. They can't respond to everything but there are times that even the most tolerant person has his/her limit.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claricecolin View Post
I ask as I have before why is this tolerated? Why is the price that women marrying into the BRF so high? Why are the women just supposed to shut up and take it? Since the other target is gone just revert back to the "work shy, social climbing" thing again?
Because the relationship between the royal family and the media is as precarious as it is specific. The BRF has to work with them and developed a system that mostly works - after all, they need the media much more than the media needs them. Of course there are tabloid publications and gossip rags (like Daily Mail, Tatler and few others) that are below any standards, just looking for the most sensational headline possible, creating stories and blowing things out of proportions. They don't get the BRF cooperation and are just mostly ignored. But since the press is independent and free pretty much nothing can be done about that.

There are layers to this situation that one needs to consider. First of all, if the BRF reacted to every false story, every false accusation, they would have to react to ALL OF THEM. And that not only would require a huge team of people dedicated to doing just that (and with that go salaries and offices and other costs), but also could destroy the relationship with the media that are needed. The other thing, it would start a discussion "should BRF have influence over the media", that could, possibly, end very badly for the BRF. The monarchy only exist because people, citizens of UK, want it to exist. And the media are, imo, the most important instrument in creating a relationship between the subjects and the monarchy. Also, the BRF are not ordinary citizens. Yes, the monarchy is constitutional and the role of the monarch mostly ceremonial, but they're still seen as people with influence and public servants paid by the taxpayers, which means that they're held to a higher standards. The rules by which they play are not the celebrity kind (and I think this is what a certain group of non-UK folks don't get) and yes, they are criticised more harshly when they make a mistake. Is it fair? Well, not really, but life rarely is.

There's also the fact that their work defends itself. It's not only the people who marry into the BRF, but everyone - not many remember or even heard about how awful the press could be to Princess Anne. But she just went about her life and her work, not engaging in any press battles, earning the respect and love of the public. She was honest, true to herself and yet one might notice she got the least amount of grieve out of the divorced siblings. Prince Edward and Sophie went through a storm and a half at the begining of their marriage and look at them now. Prince Charles... well, we all know what happened there.

And to answer your question why are they supposed to take it - because it works. It's literally as simple as that. They just have to get through the worst, prove their worth and the press will get better with time and good work on their side. They can't fight every bad article, they can't just stop working with journalist, because that immediately invites the "is the monarchy above criticism" discussion. It doesn't matter that they cost us like a pound per year.

As for the Tatler article, I think it was a one time thing that won't go noticed by the public too much and that it won't be picked up by other publications. Royal watchers, sure, the crowd that loves to criticise Cambridges and blames them for everything, sure. But the public likes William and Catherine, so I doubt it will do them any harm. People can see the good work they're doing, how well they're representing the Queen and the country. Not to mention Tatler is a very specific gossip rag and people there still can't get over the fact that Catherine comes from a middle-class family, but it only resonates with a certain group of people from mostly aristocratic circles.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I think this would have slipped by with nothing from KP were it not for the comments about Carole and Pippa. Kate clearly is close to her family, and William is protective over them I believe, so it was a sure fire way to get a comment from KP.

Nothing new is in here bar the comments about the tights causing the fall out. If the most you can find on Carole is a comment from one 'craftman' who worked on refurbing Anmer over 7 years ago then clearly she can't be that bad.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:03 PM
Gentry

I think Anne is in a totally different category. I have read the stories and like her father she doesn't suffer tools at all. She also speaks her mind and has told more than one off. I think they wouldn't dare as they are afraid of her.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
Because the relationship between the royal family and the media is as precarious as it is specific. The BRF has to work with them and developed a system that mostly works - after all, they need the media much more than the media needs them. Of course there are tabloid publications and gossip rags (like Daily Mail, Tatler and few others) that are below any standards, just looking for the most sensational headline possible, creating stories and blowing things out of proportions. They don't get the BRF cooperation and are just mostly ignored. But since the press is independent and free pretty much nothing can be done about that.

There are layers to this situation that one needs to consider. First of all, if the BRF reacted to every false story, every false accusation, they would have to react to ALL OF THEM. And that not only would require a huge team of people dedicated to doing just that (and with that go salaries and offices and other costs), but also could destroy the relationship with the media that are needed. The other thing, it would start a discussion "should BRF have influence over the media", that could, possibly, end very badly for the BRF. The monarchy only exist because people, citizens of UK, want it to exist. And the media are, imo, the most important instrument in creating a relationship between the subjects and the monarchy. Also, the BRF are not ordinary citizens. Yes, the monarchy is constitutional and the role of the monarch mostly ceremonial, but they're still seen as people with influence and public servants paid by the taxpayers, which means that they're held to a higher standards. The rules by which they play are not the celebrity kind (and I think this is what a certain group of non-UK folks don't get) and yes, they are criticised more harshly when they make a mistake. Is it fair? Well, not really, but life rarely is.

There's also the fact that their work defends itself. It's not only the people who marry into the BRF, but everyone - not many remember or even heard about how awful the press could be to Princess Anne. But she just went about her life and her work, not engaging in any press battles, earning the respect and love of the public. She was honest, true to herself and yet one might notice she got the least amount of grieve out of the divorced siblings. Prince Edward and Sophie went through a storm and a half at the begining of their marriage and look at them now. Prince Charles... well, we all know what happened there.

And to answer your question why are they supposed to take it - because it works. It's literally as simple as that. They just have to get through the worst, prove their worth and the press will get better with time and good work on their side. They can't fight every bad article, they can't just stop working with journalist, because that immediately invites the "is the monarchy above criticism" discussion. It doesn't matter that they cost us like a pound

As for the Tatler article, I think it was a one time thing that won't go noticed by the public too much and that it won't be picked up by other publications. Royal watchers, sure, the crowd that loves to criticise Cambridges and blames them for everything, sure. But the public likes William and Catherine, so I doubt it will do them any harm. People can see the good work they're doing, how well they're representing the Queen and the country. Not to mention Tatler is a very specific gossip rag and people there still can't get over the fact that Catherine comes from a middle-class family, but it only resonates with a certain group of people from mostly aristocratic circles.
ICAM.

As to the bolded part, just look at how far Charles and Camilla have come in the media.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claricecolin View Post
I think Anne is in a totally different category. I have read the stories and like her father she doesn't suffer tools at all. She also speaks her mind and has told more than one off. I think they wouldn't dare as they are afraid of her.
They wouldn't dare what? Anne's had rotten press for years and years. She was always seen as a bad tempered arrogant horsey woman who didn't do much royal work in her younger days. But the press lost interest as she grew older and Diana came along and the press was busy chasing after her.. so she grew to be tolerated... but does not matter a damn to the press whether Anne suffers fools gladly or not. If they feel like crticicisng her, they will...
Old 05-28-2020, 08:58 PM
Royal Highness

This is a three day and counting because KP responded and Richard Kay was deployed to do clean up. True or not Tatler took a Louisville Slugger (baseball bat) to the Cambridge and Middleton images. Tying in Tight-gate makes the story fresh. If the press sees there is money to be made to go after the Cambridges they'll do it.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
Well, Scobie posted interesting info:
https://twitter.com/scobie/status/1265673680564170752

I thought this was how tabloids will turn back to their earlier "Lazy Kaity" narrative, but apparently they go further to "modern Mrs Bennet" and "Wisteria Sisters" all over again
this article inspired me to create an account on this forum, and your comment inspired my username! after years of being an ardent reader of several royal forums.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:32 AM
Royal Highness

Welcome Wisteria.
And the #1000-ed post in this thread as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteriasisters View Post
this article inspired me to create an account on this forum, and your comment inspired my username! after years of being an ardent reader of several royal forums.