The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-10-2020, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Such a wonderful thing to do. My mother is a civil servant and had some people from Kensington Palace join her department at the end of last month (virtually of course!). William is going to be a fantastic monarch and I think he'll make his reign really "personal" i.e. he will always be in touch with the public as best as he can.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-20-2020, 03:30 AM
Nobility

KP just shared unseen (behind the scene) photo of The Duchess from Chelsea Flower Show last year.
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...96559488331777

Something like this is what always make me ponder how good was CC or number of engagements can represent how hard a Royal has worked. Such as this case, she must have spent hours to build her garden but it wasn't reflected in her no of engagement, or Sophie doing volunteering job which also not recorded in CC.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
KP just shared unseen (behind the scene) photo of The Duchess from Chelsea Flower Show last year.
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...96559488331777

Something like this is what always make me ponder how good was CC or number of engagements can represent how hard a Royal has worked. Such as this case, she must have spent hours to build her garden but it wasn't reflected in her no of engagement, or Sophie doing volunteering job which also not recorded in CC.
The number of engagements carried out every year is a blunt tool, and misses a lot of the preparatory work that may go into an engagement, or the amount of time spent at an enagement. That said, it is one of the few objective indicators of measuring how busy a royal has been.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The number of engagements carried out every year is a blunt tool, and misses a lot of the preparatory work that may go into an engagement, or the amount of time spent at an enagement. That said, it is one of the few objective indicators of measuring how busy a royal has been.
The matter has been discuss at the Palace oddly after it became common for people to judge a royals commitment to duty by the amount of engagements. It was thrown out as they are very affirming that the court circulars were just to inform.
Some royals actually will never tell the press or twitter what they are currently doing as they consider it against the purpose of charity. Point in case - how many pics of Edward and the Wessex children do you see on twitter and the press. They are definitely volunteering - their whole area knows it as they see it. But Edward will not allow photos to be taken of it. Bad karma to do charity work for the good PR of it.
- However all this is OT.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I remember when the Cambridges were engaged and they were living in Wales, Katherine was asked what she would do, and I am paraphrasing her, she said she had a lot to learn , so although she was being criticised in some quarters for not working she was in fact learning about the job behind the scenes. Even today there is a lot of preparation before a trip, could you imagine a tour to a foreign country all that goes into that to make sure you do not put a foot wrong. Or a meeting about a particular project or charity. I am including all the family in this not just the Cambridges.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I remember when the Cambridges were engaged and they were living in Wales, Katherine was asked what she would do, and I am paraphrasing her, she said she had a lot to learn , so although she was being criticised in some quarters for not working she was in fact learning about the job behind the scenes. Even today there is a lot of preparation before a trip, could you imagine a tour to a foreign country all that goes into that to make sure you do not put a foot wrong. Or a meeting about a particular project or charity. I am including all the family in this not just the Cambridges.
Well said. There is a huge amoutn of work that goes on behind the scenes, and the engagement numbers do not necessarily reflect that.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Catherine the Great, The Duchess of Cambridge is the front cover and main feature in the July/August Tatler.

https://twitter.com/tatlermagazine/s...873504256?s=21

There is no interview, no connection to Catherine herself, Tatler have chosen this.

I can’t wait to buy it!
Old 05-26-2020, 09:39 AM
Heir Apparent

That article is certainly something based on the exerts I am seeing.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Catherine the Great, The Duchess of Cambridge is the front cover and main feature in the July/August Tatler.

https://twitter.com/tatlermagazine/s...873504256?s=21

There is no interview, no connection to Catherine herself, Tatler have chosen this.

I can’t wait to buy it!
You can tell there's no connection by reading some of the excerpts. They gleefully remind the readers of all the nasty nicknames aimed at Catherine over the years. And then Tatler takes some swipes at the Middleton family, especially Carole. Then they offer some lukewarm praise basically saying "We thought she'd suck at this job, but she's proven to be a useful team player for the royals".

It's Tatler's usual passive-agressive pretense, where the writer brags about their access to aristo circles and has the aristos and former courtiers give evaluations on the former Middleclass Middleton, and of course all the compliments are back-handed because we wouldn't want the Duchess to get a big head..
Old 05-26-2020, 12:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
You can tell there's no connection by reading some of the excerpts. They gleefully remind the readers of all the nasty nicknames aimed at Catherine over the years. And then Tatler takes some swipes at the Middleton family, especially Carole. Then they offer some lukewarm praise basically saying "We thought she'd suck at this job, but she's proven to be a useful team player for the royals".

It's Tatler's usual passive-agressive pretense, where the writer brags about their access to aristo circles and has the aristos and former courtiers give evaluations on the former Middleclass Middleton, and of course all the compliments are back-handed because we wouldn't want the Duchess to get a big head..
Tatler and the aristos can joke as much as they want about Middeclass-Middleton and Doors-to-Manual Carole, but those Middleton girls have certainly married way above the chattering aristos. And as far as Catherine is concerned, she has always been a class act, IMO!
Old 05-26-2020, 01:11 PM
Courtier

Ah, good old Tatler I don't even have to read it to know what's going to be in it, a few swipes at middle-class upbringing, Carole the mastermind, who planned it all since her children were born, but overall quite positive.

It's been years and some of them still can't accept the fact she married Willliam.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have no access to the mag, but someone tweeted an article stating that Kate’s friends “need a lesson in self-awareness” because they spoke out about Kate feeling overwhelmed by the added workload, her resentment at the Sussexes for leaving and essentially forcing she and William to pick up the slack, etc...

I have no idea if any of this is true, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was. I have no issue with Kate feeling this way, but a lot of issues if her friends are speaking out as their (unnamed) quotes in the article are completely clueless and could be damaging to Kate.

The Cambridges might want to get new friends - because with friends like these, who needs enemies?
Old 05-26-2020, 03:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Tatler and the aristos can joke as much as they want about Middeclass-Middleton and Doors-to-Manual Carole, but those Middleton girls have certainly married way above the chattering aristos. And as far as Catherine is concerned, she has always been a class act, IMO!
Well said Muriel! Those 'chattering aristos' aren't as classy as they think they are. The REALLY classy aristos (yes I've met quite a few, including some royal ones) aren't snotty, snobby or stuffy in the slightest. If you need to look down on others, there's something lacking within yourself.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I have no access to the mag, but someone tweeted an article stating that Kate’s friends “need a lesson in self-awareness” because they spoke out about Kate feeling overwhelmed by the added workload, her resentment at the Sussexes for leaving and essentially forcing she and William to pick up the slack, etc...

I have no idea if any of this is true, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was. I have no issue with Kate feeling this way, but a lot of issues if her friends are speaking out as their (unnamed) quotes in the article are completely clueless and could be damaging to Kate.

The Cambridges might want to get new friends - because with friends like these, who needs enemies?
WTF? Honestly it's hard to believe that after 15+ years of silence her friends chose this moment to speak to the papers about DoC and her feelings about the current situation. It doesn't make any sense to me...
Old 05-26-2020, 04:55 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
WTF? Honestly it's hard to believe that after 15+ years of silence her friends chose this moment to speak to the papers about DoC and her feelings about the current situation. It doesn't make any sense to me...
Kensington Palace denied it. Said it was a false story.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
I agree with you, Kate and William have been careful with their choice of friends, they are the ultimate in discretion. Many of them are god parents to the children, I find it hard to believe that any of their inner circle have spoken out. Why now, there is no need.
Some body stirring the pot, or else trying to pretend they are closer than they actually are,
Old 05-26-2020, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I agree with you, Kate and William have been careful with their choice of friends, they are the ultimate in discretion. Many of them are god parents to the children, I find it hard to believe that any of their inner circle have spoken out. Why now, there is no need.
Some body stirring the pot, or else trying to pretend they are closer than they actually are,
I agree. William and Catherine, as far as heir's standards go, are fairly private and I can imagine their friends are similar. I highly doubt this story to be true. Lockdown boredom kicking in, probably.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-26-2020, 05:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesam View Post
Good, I thought this might be the case. I'm very glad this was cleared up, though it's pretty interesting...

Quote:
Honestly, it's been almost twenty years of Catherine and William knowing each other, being in a relationship and married and we barely had anything from their friends, that's why it's so hard to believe. I'm glad KP denied the story, but who and why is the question now.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesam View Post
It is interesting that they have came right out and denied it, as we know they often just ignore some of the stories. IMO they are trying to ensure that there is nothing to fuel the flames of any so called 'feud' in the eyes of the public.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I’m glad to hear this...it didn’t sound right to me, not the friends complaining or Kate complaining and OKing her friends going public. She seems very much in tune to public feeling - in a good way - and is a compassionate, caring person who understands that everyone is making sacrifices