General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not quite sure how allowing himself to be photographed as what he is, William's father, makes him undignified.

It's a lovely, sweet photo to take with your son. There's nothing wrong with it and I'm sure the reception will be positive or even unnoticed.

When you are a man who's spent his life in waiting, however, not just William's father, it just seems strange to take a picture where you allow yourself to be dwarfed by and lean on someone who is younger and healthier. Even if that's the son you love.

Maybe it's just me, but we haven't seen too many pictures of Charles where he looks like just a vulnerable man, not a Prince of Wales. And not because of his successor.

I'll say it again: it's a lovely, sweet picture. I'm glad they're so close. It's just startling.

I think its a fab photo, its such a stand out as being different that a family member who has no real interest in the RF usually message it on a group whatsapp today saying how normal and yet lovely it was and how the RF should do more pictures like this. While I do think most the time the RF are on "show" in an "official capacity" its nice to see a little inside more "normal" and relatable moments.

I love all of these pictures they’ve released. Kate is really a very talented amateur photographer! All the pictures are so sweet and natural. George and Louis look so much alike... Louis’s hair is just a bit darker and eyebrows just a bit thicker. Both of them are very “Middleton” looking, especially when you see the picture of Michael with a young Kate! Charlotte, on the other hand, is much more Spencer and Windsor than her brothers.

I love that they show us these photos a few times a year. It’s a nice, natural way to see the children grow and get a peek into their lives.

I think its a fab photo, its such a stand out as being different that a family member who has no real interest in the RF usually message it on a group whatsapp today saying how normal and yet lovely it was and how the RF should do more pictures like this. While I do think most the time the RF are on "show" in an "official capacity" its nice to see a little inside more "normal" and relatable moments.

Yes. What strikes me is just how happy they look ....it gives us a glimpse we rarely get into the real men behind the photo. Charles is the Prince of Wales and William is the Duke of Cambridge, but that’s not who they really are.

If I thought the photo was representative of anything, it would be strength, not vulnerability. It’s a lovely and important thing to see that these two can lean on each other ....

Lovely of Prince Charles and Prince William. Emotion I have never seen before.

When you thought you knew everything about them but they are still able to suprise us.
What a great and heartfelt picture, worth a thousand words really ...

I agree, that picture of Charles and Williiam is lovely. I guess this just demonstrates there is so much about the royals, even the most ardent royal followers, do not know.

Last edited:
I like the one of William and Charles, and at the same time it feels very strange.

Charles is very rarely "undignified". They look sweet and "normal" and yet Charles seems vulnerable. Older. It's not how he usually presents, imho.

I certainly do not see the picture of Charles and William as either undignified, or Charles appearing vulnerable in any way.

I see it as a deeply personal picture, a far more personal insight into their relationship than one normally gets to see. It is in the ungaurded nature of this snap that perhaps, to me, demosntrates the warmth and mutual dependence that one sees within close family members.

I certainly do not see the picture of Charles and William as either undignified, or Charles appearing vulnerable in any way.

I see it as a deeply personal picture, a far more personal insight into their relationship than one normally gets to see. It is in the ungaurded nature of this snap that perhaps, to me, demosntrates the warmth and mutual dependence that one sees within close family members.

I thought that Charles did look a bit silly and it was slightly embarrassing to see....

I thought that Charles did look a bit silly and it was slightly embarrassing to see....

You’re joking right?

How could this loving and affectionate photo be viewed as silly and embarrassing?

No Im not joking...

Then it’s a shame that you see a picture of a loving father and son as embarrassing and silly. I’m assuming you felt the same way about the pictures William had with his children.

You’re joking right?

How could this loving and affectionate photo be viewed as silly and embarrassing?

I’m rather :confused: myself

On the other hand, I’m so happy to read this...

Given that there have been rumors in the past that Charles was unhappy he didn’t get to see enough of the Cambridges, Charles has made a point of factoring more family time into his diary and it has paid off. “It has meant that their relationship has become much closer,” said a source close to Charles.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/06/prince-charles-prince-william-relationship

Last edited:
I think what may throw a lot of people off is that we're seeing Charles without his royal "game face" on. I think most of us can attest to being more prone to be goofy, unreserved, affectionate and freer with emotions when we're within a "bubble" of close family and friends. Once we feel the outside world gazing in our direction, we tend to put our public "game faces" on.

Its why I always prefer to eat BBQ ribs at home and not out in a restaurant. I can enjoy them so much more if I don't care if my face is a slobbery mess. :D

I think what may throw a lot of people off is that we're seeing Charles without his royal "game face" on. I think most of us can attest to being more prone to be goofy, unreserved, affectionate and freer with emotions when we're within a "bubble" of close family and friends. Once we feel the outside world gazing in our direction, we tend to put our public "game faces" on.

Its why I always prefer to eat BBQ ribs at home and not out in a restaurant. I can enjoy them so much more if I don't care if my face is a slobbery mess. :D

I love seeing Charles - and William - so unreservedly happy. Maybe Charles was happy for people to see him differently as he had to give the OK before the photo was posted.

I have no such compunctions about messy food, lol. If they'll serve it to me, I'll eat it, lol

Well, I for one love the photo of Charles and William - I think you'd have to have a pretty miserable mindset (especially in the difficult times we've been in this year) to think there was anything embarrassing about an innocent photo of a father and son. :ermm:

I think what may throw a lot of people off is that we're seeing Charles without his royal "game face" on.

I see it this way: In this picture Charles looks like a happy grandfather!

Now you might say, he IS a grandfather and presumably happy! Yeah, ok, but he is also the future king. He is far away from pension and retirement... Contenance, stiff upper lip, ready to rule and all this!

But personally I like this picture! Ther were always these rumours about a bad relationship. Now they look happy, what is good.

I see it this way: In this picture Charles looks like a happy grandfather!

Now you might say, he IS a grandfather and presumably happy! Yeah, ok, but he is also the future king. He is far away from pension and retirement... Contenance, stiff upper lip, ready to rule and all this!

But personally I like this picture! Ther were always these rumours about a bad relationship. Now they look happy, what is good.

I also have noticed that since Charles' marriage to Camilla, photographs taken of him has shown the lighter side of a man comfortable in his own skin and relaxed and jovial even. Even with public engagements, you clearly can see Charles enjoying himself so much more than in previous decades.

To see him with his son in the recent picture is to see not only a happy person but also one happy in his own private life. With Catherine taking the picture, it was a family setting and perhaps taken on the spur of the moment rather than it would have been with a scheduled photo shoot with a professional photographer. Catherine was able to capture the intimacy of the moment so very well. ?

This woman has talent. Loads of it.

This place is a bit of a refuge as the cynicism in the Relationships thread is a bit depressing, lol.

Charles seems to be happier than ever, maybe because he’s not working quite so much and is spending more time with the Cambridges. I’m sure in other family get togethers he’s been equally as happy and relaxed - we just don’t get to see it that often. In fact, never - not just him, but any of the BRF. Recently he opened up about missing his father, not being able to hug or touch anyone in his family - I don’t think he would have done that years ago. He’s definitely in a better place, “professionally” and personally.

Its hit me in watching the Cambridge family over the years and especially what we've seen of them during the Covid-19 pandemic that this family has given me a sense of a flashback to a previous family that was referred to often as "us four". With the Cambridges it would be "us five". A close, loving family.

William and Catherine have been able to very nicely balance their public roles and public lives with also having a private and happy family life we get a glimpse into every now and then. Again, I think this is due to Catherine's talent for photography and willingness to share some with the public.

Its hit me in watching the Cambridge family over the years and especially what we've seen of them during the Covid-19 pandemic that this family has given me a sense of a flashback to a previous family that was referred to often as "us four". With the Cambridges it would be "us five". A close, loving family.

William and Catherine have been able to very nicely balance their public roles and public lives with also having a private and happy family life we get a glimpse into every now and then. Again, I think this is due to Catherine's talent for photography and willingness to share some with the public.

I mentioned that some time ago....it’s a very apt comparison. Sometimes children of bitter divorces are unable to find their own personal happiness because they only remember their parents being miserable, and it’s all they know. Kate’s own loving family has helped William create his own little loving family unit, and yet apparently at the same time it’s helped him learn to forgive his father and see things from a different perspective than he’d seen before, both as a child and an adult.

I tend to agree - they have been careful yet quite consistent in the way they have balanced a private life and a public roll - it's not an easy thing to do but very important in terms of maintaining continuity.

I also have noticed that since Charles' marriage to Camilla, photographs taken of him has shown the lighter side of a man comfortable in his own skin and relaxed and jovial even. Even with public engagements, you clearly can see Charles enjoying himself so much more than in previous decades.

Yes, there was always a certain tension about Charles that has dissipated in recent years.
He is happy, and it reflects in his relationships with family and friends.

Yes, there was always a certain tension about Charles that has dissipated in recent years.
He is happy, and it reflects in his relationships with family and friends.

I agree, Charles has certainly looked a lot more relaxed in the last 15 odd years.

I love all the recently published private photos.
I'm thankful that they are shared.
They are sensitive and insightful - not too staged - and add a respectful balance to the photos taken by official photographers and media.

Good to hear that they have been able to get away for a staycation. The Scilly isles are beautiful, and such a trip will bring further attention to them.

Would be amazing to have the future King and Queen cycle past you and say hello.

What a story to take home to family and friends from a holiday muriel.

Last edited:
Of course one day William, and in turn George, will 'own' the Scilly Islands - just as Charles does now. They are part of the Duchy of Cornwall.

They seemed to really enjoy themselves there back in 2016. So I'm not surprised it was at the top of their list for a "staycation".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom