The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2019, 06:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate looked very pretty and festive, but I think she should have worn her hair in a French braid or something; I never like all that long hair around food.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Not a fan of the dresses although the red is a great color for her.

I agree, especially with the cooking, her hair would of been better up...and really why not wear more casual clothes during the cooking segments?

Nice spots about the charity work.

LaRae

Old 12-17-2019, 11:34 AM
Nobility

that was lovely! Great way of showcasing their charity!
Old 12-17-2019, 02:42 PM
Courtier

This was a lovely program and I'm so thrilled I was able to watch it on YouTube. I really do think it was a very much missed opportunity to choose not to broadcast it in the US. There appears to have been significant interest in being able to watch it. The Cambridges were really in top form and it was lovely to see them so easily interact with their charities and with Mary. It really was the positive piece that the RF needed right now and I have to say that I agree with those hoping we see the Cambridges team up with Mary again for another special or two. It really struck exactly the right balance between promoting their work and some wonderful causes (and how about William recruiting Nadiya for Shout! ) and giving the viewers a few of those personal tidbits about their life and their children that everyone loves so much. I can't help but think that HM and the PoW must be very, very happy with what they saw last night as well as the reception that it seems to be getting from the public.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I am one of the lucky ones who caught it today on YouTube so I thoroughly enjoyed watching Mary as she tested her recipes, viewing the clips highlighting the charities and seeing the happy volunteers being feted for their work.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:29 PM
Majesty

I assume 'Mary' is a famous judge on some baking contest on TV?! It seemed everyone knew/knows her and I had no clue who she was. The other one that she had asked to help William on the day of the party is probably also involved in the same program?!

All in all, imo it was a rather lightweight program that showcased some of the charities that William and Catherine are involved in and it was pleasant to see how the two of them joyfully and sometimes teasingly move around when 'at work'.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I assume 'Mary' is a famous judge on some baking contest on TV?! It seemed everyone knew/knows her and I had no clue who she was. The other one that she had asked to help William on the day of the party is probably also involved in the same program?!

All in all, imo it was a rather lightweight program that showcased some of the charities that William and Catherine are involved in and it was pleasant to see how the two of them joyfully and sometimes teasingly move around when 'at work'.
Mary has published over 75 cookbooks and hosted a number of television programs including "The Great British Bake Off." She is very well known in Britain and became known in the U.S. to those who follow cooking programs.

Nadiya won season 6 of "The Great British Bake Off."
Old 12-17-2019, 03:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Mary has published over 75 cookbooks and hosted a number of television programs including "The Great British Bake Off." She is very well known in Britain and became known in the U.S. to those who follow cooking programs.

Nadiya won season 6 of "The Great British Bake Off."
Thanks; her fame was clear from the program. How many seasons of the great British bake off are there; so, is season 6 (relatively) recent?

I don't watch baking/cooking programs but am somewhat aware of the success of the Dutch version (Heel Holland Bakt) but other than the name had no idea about the British version (which could very well be the original).
Old 12-17-2019, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Mary was on for the first 7 seasons-2010-2016. Season 6 was in 2015. The show then changed networks from BBC to Channel 4, and Mary left the program.
There have (so far) been an additional 3 seasons or series of the show.

More about Mary, Nadiya and The Great British Bake Off--

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Berry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadiya_Hussain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gr...itish_Bake_Off
Old 12-18-2019, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

New link for those who missed it

Official link to the baking competition
Old 12-18-2019, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I saw the programme when it was on air and it was a lovely watch. Catherine came across as very likeable and approachable - even though she and Mary Berry hadn't met beforehand, it feels like they were old friends. Great to shed some light on the charities the Cambridges work so hard with too - a lot of people on Twitter were saying that they were Googling them because they hadn't heard of them, so it's great that they can get more audience and recognition through the programme.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I was under the impression that the Catherine had met Mary Berry before. Perhaps it was when she accompanied William to a Child Bereavement engagement?
Old 12-18-2019, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Mary Berry said in the programme she had met William before but not his wife IIRC.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure we have seen Catherine meet Mary before, I remember her saying something about using her books and Mary saying something like "oh really". Maybe as both Mary and William are patrons of Child Bereavement UK and have met on a number of occasions and so are more comfortable with each other having had more than one conversation. Maybe Mary meant she knew William already and had met him for longer than Kate.

Edit - found the video as it bugged me so much, from a Child Bereavement event 6 years ago
Old 12-19-2019, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I got the impression William and Mary Berry became acquaintances through Child Bereavement, as Mary Berry said in the programme, "we both know what it is to lose someone special to us" (her son passed away at the age of 19 after a car accident). I guess she wasn't linked to as many charities as Catherine was, and thus had less of a chance to meet her.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:29 AM
Majesty

a lovely and summery christmas card from the cambridges for 2019!

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_in...acion-navidad/
Old 12-20-2019, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

It's a nice photo--I wonder where and when it was taken? Perhaps on holiday somewhere?
Old 12-20-2019, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent

It is not a true Christmas card, no Christmas tree, no Christmas spirit, an ordinary photo of a family during the summer, for me , it is a miss

There is only the name of Catherine and no wishs in the card
Old 12-20-2019, 02:12 PM
Commoner

Nice card. Beautiful family.
I guess I will never get used to this idea of "fake natural picture".
When we do a christmas card with my family, we have our best outfits, we stand together and have our biggest smile and I would say that is as natural as a picture could get.
This picture is very nice but it looks like it could belong to a vintage edition of Vogue. It is very sophisticated, very studied.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
It is not a true Christmas card, no Christmas tree, no Christmas spirit, an ordinary photo of a family during the summer, for me , it is a miss

It’s not uncommon to see Christmas card photos that are not Christmas themed. I’ve sent them myself and I’ve received many that aren’t. Sometimes it’s due to sending photos from a family vacation, a special occasion or just personal preference.