The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-29-2019, 08:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Lady Anne Glenconner is 87-years-old and best known as Princess Margaret’s confidante – her lady in waiting, her best friend. She comes from a line of royal aids, which she reeled off in an interview with The Times this weekend. ‘My mother was [lady-in-waiting] to the Queen, my father was equerry to the King, my great-great-uncle was lord-in-waiting to Queen Mary, my uncle was in the Queen Mother’s household and my aunt was lady-in-waiting to the Queen Mother. That’s what we are.’

In the interview she overflows with praise for the Cambridge’s – she lives not far from them in Norfolk and grew up in Holkham Hall, one of the county's grandest stately piles. ‘I think Prince William and Kate are absolutely splendid,’ she gushes. ‘They’re the golden couple’.
Read more: Why Lady Anne Glenconner considers the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge ‘the golden couple’

Old 11-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Majesty

The Duchess of Cambridge has cancelled an appearance at an awards ceremony due to an undisclosed matter relating to her children.

Kate was due to join husband William at the Tusk Conservation Awards event in London on Thursday evening, but pulled out just a few hours ahead of its start.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-11-21/...-the-children/

Old 11-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Courtier

I hope everything is well with the kiddos and it's nothing mummy can't fix.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:37 PM
Courtier

I certainly hope all is well and there's nothing serious going on. However, we all know that this will certainly invite lots of speculation because rumors have already been making the rounds and the Duchess isn't known for cancelling engagements, especially at the last minute, unless she's seriously unwell.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
First thought that ran through my head thinking of the ages of the Cambridge kids and the season, my guess would be that mummy was needed at home because of an illness. Perhaps chickenpox or strep throat and coughs and flu that all kids go through at one time or another. Sick kids need their mummy.

With the announcement that it was for reasons pertaining to the children, that underlines for me the "family first" attitude that William and Catherine have.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:07 PM
Courtier

First thought that ran through my mind - BabyCambridge#4
Old 11-21-2019, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's been said no one is ill...so my guess is the kids had something with school or some activity.

LaRae
Old 11-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
First thought that ran through my head thinking of the ages of the Cambridge kids and the season, my guess would be that mummy was needed at home because of an illness. Perhaps chickenpox or strep throat and coughs and flu that all kids go through at one time or another. Sick kids need their mummy.

With the announcement that it was for reasons pertaining to the children, that underlines for me the "family first" attitude that William and Catherine have.
I don't think that they would cancel just for a sore throat or chickenpox... a broken arm or something like seems more likely IMO.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
It's been said no one is ill...so my guess is the kids had something with school or some activity.

LaRae
Something urgent enough that it would warrant a cancellation a few hours before the event? I don't know.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJudith View Post
I don't think that they would cancel just for a sore throat or chickenpox... a broken arm or something like seems more likely IMO.
I would agree. And it does seem reminiscent of the time that William was injured as a child by accidentally being hit with a golf club and Diana went to him while Charles continued with engagements. However, it does seem a bit odd that it wasn't urgent enough to warrant cancellation of the afternoon tea but did warrant cancellation of the evening event.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Can't be too serious, already been she was still meeting with the finalists this afternoon for a tea.

LaRae
Old 11-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Majesty

I think everyone here would like it if they had a fourth child. They would thus have the same number of the Queen's sons.
But if it is not because of pregnancy, then she will have missed the event because of a problem at the children's school or some family affair.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

LaRae
School events are not last minute things. She would have known long ago. If she planned to attend, she wouldn’t have been scheduled to attend tonight. A school event is not reason for a sudden last minute cancellation.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Hmm let the speculation begin��

Maybe some sort of last minute kid related diary problem? Maybe Carole was meant to look after them and cant for some reason etc. If the kids had been told they were with someone from family I don’t think W&K with their family focus would see nanny as a replacement.

Its a bit of an odd statement as its vague enough to ensure people will speculate on it, but they are entitled to say or not say what they want about their children.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:14 PM
Majesty

Yes they have the right to say what they want about their children, and they don't have to justify everything they do.
It was probably something unforeseen in the children's school, or some subject related to the children but not a disease.
But at least we know it's nothing serious and that's what matters.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
School events are not last minute things. She would have known long ago. If she planned to attend, she wouldn’t have been scheduled to attend tonight. A school event is not reason for a sudden last minute cancellation.
There are pics of her this afternoon at the tea with the finalists....so it can't be some sort of emergency ...this was AFTER the announcement was made she wasn't going to be there.

LARae
Old 11-21-2019, 07:43 PM
Majesty

The fact that the tea was held at Kensington Palace probably meant that while Catherine didn't want to be away for the evening, she was able to be gone for a little while knowing that she was near if needed.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
There are pics of her this afternoon at the tea with the finalists....so it can't be some sort of emergency ...this was AFTER the announcement was made she wasn't going to be there.

LARae
Yes an hour long tea what a 100 meters from home if whatever kid needed her?

Maybe I am giving Kate too much credit. Maybe she is the kind of person who would blow off a scheduled event at the last minute, as she suddenly decided to attend a play at school that she would have known weeks ahead of time. I tend to think she takes her role as a royal a bit more seriously then that.

I have no doubt they are hands on parents. And will attend events at the kids' school and so on. But they will know these things weeks in advance, recitals and such are not spur of the moment events. They would not have announced she was attending the event, if she had no plans to attend. Its not like the calendar is released months in advance.

Its most likely one of the kids came down with a bad case of the flu or such, and Kate decided to stay home tonight.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:48 AM
Majesty

Had Catherine not had afternoon tea I would have said measles, mumps, rubella or chickenpox as they are all contagious. But it seems that nobody is ill.

That makes Catherine and William seem more than a little precious and introduced a whole new dynamic. Any children related events would been noted well in advance so a diary clash is definitely not the problem, which implies a budding attitudinal change.

It is not like the Cambridge's are out every night so what possible explanation can account for such an extraordinary action of pulling out of an engagement with basically no notice.

While such events are probably boring and old hat for the Cambridge's, for the guests it's a once in a lifetime experience so I will be interested to find out what's happening.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Frankly it sounds like what every parent goes through, problems with a babysitter.