The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The kids are positively adorable. Charlotte is going to be a mischevious elf it seems. George looks a bit more pensieve.

Kate is horribly photo shopped which is totally not required.

A little disappointed. Not only with the photoshopped portrait, but also that it is so old. I would have loved a nice seasonal photo. But the kids make up for some of it at least.
The Cambridge’s do need to get a little more creative no doubt. The GQ photo shoot was a bit too spaced out, but it was relaxed.

This Christmas portrait was good, but if I was the photographer, I would set the scene of the kids helping mum and dad decorate the Christmas tree. Helping bake some Christmas cookies or even the family enjoying the festive season by the decorated fireplace.

The best holiday pictures comes from the family relaxing and enjoying the holidays.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-18-2017, 10:40 PM
Serene Highness

There’s nothing Christmasy about it. Just cute kids.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe they want Christmas photos to stay private which is understandable. We got a photo of the dear little family
Old 12-18-2017, 11:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Then they shouldn't release a 'Christmas photo'.

No one is asking they share a photo from their private Christmas celebrations. But having some kind of Christmas feel at all. An actual family photo, not a portrait infront of a white screen. I look at the photos of Victoria and her family in Sweden as a great example. Or if they don't want to be intrusive to the kids, don't have a professional photographer do it. Have family, like the first pics of George.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:07 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen and Phillip, Charles and Camilla don’t do seasonal photos usually, so I’m confused why people are all up in arms about the Cambridges not doing the same thing.

All the moaning and groaning and comparing with others royal families isn’t going to change the fact that the British Royal Family doesn’t do that. And they’re hardly the only ones, take a look at the Spanish or the Belgian Christmas card this year.
Plenty of ordinary people don’t do the themed card either, about half of cards I get have photos from summer holidays or some other important family event from the previous year – baptism, wedding, university graduation, etc. never occurred to me that there was anything wrong with this.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I think the general "complaint" with this photo is more about it lacking any warmth or feeling in general. It just looks like a family posing and with that an air of that they "have" to. It looks too formal. Too stiff. They are laughing but something is off, I can't exactly describe it.
Perhaps it's because of the white background, or the all-matching clothes.

And we have seen informal photos of them, so it's not like they're unable to provide.

The Belgian family photos that they give out for Christmas always do have that warmth. I don't always like them, but they do provide in feeling. Spanish Royal Family are the same, I think. I don't follow them but I do see the family photo they annually release for Christmas and they also have a family air. I think that Felipe especially is very warm and a loving father.
That’s because the British royals very often come off a bit stiff in portraits. The samething happened in the official Cambridge wedding portraits.

Relaxed settings helps them relax in Pictures. Which is why I think it would be a Good idea of them taking their holiday photos doing some fun activity. Decorating the tree, admiring the Windsor Castle decorations or even playing with Lupo by the fireplace.

The picture they released was good, but the photoshopping of Catherine’s face wasn’t the best idea.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
That’s because the British royals very often come off a bit stiff in portraits. The samething happened in the official Cambridge wedding portraits.

Relaxed settings helps them relax in Pictures. Which is why I think it would be a Good idea of them taking their holiday photos doing some fun activity. Decorating the tree, admiring the Windsor Castle decorations or even playing with Lupo by the fireplace.

The picture they released was good, but the photoshopping of Catherine’s face wasn’t the best idea.
Hmm, I only have that stiffness with William and Catherine. Not with his father, neither his brother. Not even with his grandparents. But that perhaps has to do with how I feel about Catherine.

But I agree about the wedding portraits, especially the one of just the two of them. It was so stiff that I didn't like it very much. The only one I truly liked was with the bridesmaids and pageboys. The sole informal one.

I'm not particularly fond of the picture and neither was I about last year's.
Perhaps you should write to Kensington Palace and offer your suggestions, maybe we will get more informal photos in the coming years - photos that do give a cosy feeling. Or, as we say in Dutch > gezellig
Old 12-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Majesty

I suppose warmth is in the eye of the beholder. I like the photo and don’t think it’s stiff at all. Formal maybe but with warmth.

I’m not surprised by the people who don’t like it as they never like any Cambridge photos.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't see it as stiff not sure where that comes from? Formal yes however a very sweet picture I thought. William is holding onto George (as usual!), George has a foot up and ready to go! Charlotte is quite a charmer already!

LaRae
Old 12-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Hmm, I only have that stiffness with William and Catherine. Not with his father, neither his brother. Not even with his grandparents. But that perhaps has to do with how I feel about Catherine.

But I agree about the wedding portraits, especially the one of just the two of them. It was so stiff that I didn't like it very much. The only one I truly liked was with the bridesmaids and pageboys. The sole informal one.

I'm not particularly fond of the picture and neither was I about last year's.
Perhaps you should write to Kensington Palace and offer your suggestions, maybe we will get more informal photos in the coming years - photos that do give a cosy feeling. Or, as we say in Dutch > gezellig
The British royals are naturally stiff, starchy and formal. Put them in relaxed and fun settings; they simply melt in happiness. It’s what a photographer must do in order to get the best pictures out of them.

It’s true, we really don’t see the British royals doing seasonal Pictures. It’s not too late for them to start though.

The Cambridge’s are a beautiful family. They would produce the most adorable pictures for the Christmas holidays by doing a family activity. Like the ones they took on a ski holiday. Remember those pics? The kids posing with mum and dad in snowsuits and mum and dad hugging and throwing snowballs at each other. They were the best pics.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't see it as stiff not sure where that comes from? Formal yes however a very sweet picture I thought. William is holding onto George (as usual!), George has a foot up and ready to go! Charlotte is quite a charmer already!

LaRae
I guess that I used the word stiff for the first time as it's how I see the picture. Formal. Which can be good, but in thise case I'm not inclined to it.

Charlotte looks like her paternal great-grandmother. Possible future leadership skills?

I guess it's time to beat a retreat, Camp Cambridge is not for me Adios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I suppose warmth is in the eye of the beholder. I like the photo and don’t think it’s stiff at all. Formal maybe but with warmth.

I’m not surprised by the people who don’t like it as they never like any Cambridge photos.
First sentence true, I think. I do think it's stiff and it is possible to be formal with warmth - his grandparents exemplify that.
Last sentence not necessarily true at all and very black and white. But not unexpected.

And speaking for myself: I don't like the Christmas photos, but there are other family photos of them that I do like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
There’s nothing Christmasy about it. Just cute kids.
I actually agree with this.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Majesty

And for people who say we ‘never’ see the Cambridge children, some statistics from Gerts Royals on Twitter -

Today's official photo was 28th official photo/ appearance of Prince George & 15th of Princess Charlotte.

That averages out to 1 photo/ appearance every 2 months.

Does not include paparazzi pics, polo matches, airports, back seat of car, etc
Old 12-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Although I'm not overly impressed with the latest photo release, I have to accept that it was the Cambridge's choice to do it this way. I also realize that there are valid reasons why the Cambridges are very picky about pictures and family portraits that are released to the public.

For one, I can definitely understand the reasoning should it be William that chooses to expose as little about his private, family life as he possibly can. We have to remember just how he grew up and even stated as a little kid that he hated 'tographers. Then, to witness over the years how his mother was hounded and pursued relentlessly by the media which played a factor in her unnecessary death, he's not going to forget all this easily and give away more than he absolutely has to. That's how protective he's become of his own family. Kate does have an assuring demeanor about her when it comes to William but she, of all people, would understand William's feelings the best.

That's why I think we got a very non-commital photo of the family. Actually, at first glance, I got a sense of deja vu thinking that with each person in the photo, I'd seen that photo of them before somewhere and that they had been collaged by a photographer into a family portrait and that the family, themselves, didn't sit for that portrait. But that's just me.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
The Queen and Phillip, Charles and Camilla don’t do seasonal photos usually, so I’m confused why people are all up in arms about the Cambridges not doing the same thing.

All the moaning and groaning and comparing with others royal families isn’t going to change the fact that the British Royal Family doesn’t do that. And they’re hardly the only ones, take a look at the Spanish or the Belgian Christmas card this year.
Plenty of ordinary people don’t do the themed card either, about half of cards I get have photos from summer holidays or some other important family event from the previous year – baptism, wedding, university graduation, etc. never occurred to me that there was anything wrong with this.
Very true. Look at Charles and Camilla, their Christmas card this year was a formal picture taken in July. That's perfectly fine for them, but apparently the Cambridges must be informal and Christmas-y or they shouldn't be allowed to release a card. It's really more about the subject matter than the card.

Personally, I don't really give a hoot about Christmas cards. But I suppose it's a nice gesture from various members of the BRF who decide to release them. If people want to complain and turn up their noses at those nice gestures then they're the ones who are missing the 'Christmas' spirit, not the BRF, Imo.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charlotte has always reminded me of the Queen. It hasn't changed so far!

LaRae
Old 12-19-2017, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think she’s the girl version of little Prince William.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't see that in Charlotte, in George yes, along with Michael too.

LaRae
Old 12-19-2017, 01:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Charlotte has always reminded me of the Queen. It hasn't changed so far!

LaRae
Me too and George looks like his dad.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes very much like William except his facial structure around his eyes/brow are like Michael.

He's going to be a handsome boy as he ages I think.

LaRae
Old 12-19-2017, 02:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Very true. Look at Charles and Camilla, their Christmas card this year was a formal picture taken in July. That's perfectly fine for them, but apparently the Cambridges must be informal and Christmas-y or they shouldn't be allowed to release a card. It's really more about the subject matter than the card.

Personally, I don't really give a hoot about Christmas cards. But I suppose it's a nice gesture from various members of the BRF who decide to release them. If people want to complain and turn up their noses at those nice gestures then they're the ones who are missing the 'Christmas' spirit, not the BRF, Imo.
It’s not that the Cambridge’s must be informal, it’s the quality of the photograph. The Cambridge’s look like tailor’s dummies. To me there’s no warmth or personality. They look stiff and plastic. I am no fan of Diana but she used some beautiful posed/portrait photos of herself, William & Harry in the years after she separated from Charles so it’s not just the fact that it’s a posed photo. IMHO it’s just a horrid photo (not saying the Cambridge’s are horrid or that they look horrid - just the photograph).