Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This argument is dragging on...in her day Diana was frequently referred to as Lady Diana, rather than her title. WHY DOES IT MATTER? I don't believe anyone is being malicious in calling her by her maiden name. And she quite obviously doesn't care.

Because it's annoying . Middleton hasn't been her name in 7 years . And the media isn't writing Crown Princess Victora and Daniel Westling or King Willem Alexander and Maxima Zorreguieta . And generally we don't go on calling married people by their maiden names unless they've chosen top keep them .

I'm changing my thought on what the new Prince's name will be. The other day I said Alfred. With all the baby Alfie stuff going on there is no way they'll touch that name with a 10 foot pole now.

Because it's annoying . Middleton hasn't been her name in 7 years . And the media isn't writing Crown Princess Victora and Daniel Westling or King Willem Alexander and Maxima Zorreguieta . And generally we don't go on calling married people by their maiden names unless they've chosen top keep them .

It just seems like an odd fight to pick. Annoying, sure. But there are worse things that could be going on. And it's different media sources. It's not like the media is picking on William and Kate specifically. Zara is still Zara Phillips, not Zara Tindall. Diana was still Lady Di. Sarah Ferguson was and is Sarah Ferguson, even though she retained her title. It's the way of the media. Pippa is still often referred to as Pippa Middleton rather than Matthews. It's just such a small thing.

Osipi tries valiantly to stuff the worms back into the can and fails miserably.

Sorry I mentioned the Fail at all. :eek:

It just seems like an odd fight to pick. Annoying, sure. But there are worse things that could be going on. And it's different media sources. It's not like the media is picking on William and Kate specifically. Zara is still Zara Phillips, not Zara Tindall. Diana was still Lady Di. Sarah Ferguson was and is Sarah Ferguson, even though she retained her title. It's the way of the media. Pippa is still often referred to as Pippa Middleton rather than Matthews. It's just such a small thing.

Because it is extremely rude and quite without class. Just complete malicious lazy journalism. Just shows what the public now accepts from their news gathers that most sheep-like public accepts as truth because it is written by a paid reporter. I am not picking a fight just stating facts and once small things are accepted, oh well, where next...........JMO

I think the name will be: Philip Charles James

I would love to have the name Philip after great granddad. Knowing Prince Philip's humor at times, he just might object. Ha Ha

I would love to have the name Philip after great granddad. Knowing Prince Philip's humor at times, he just might object. Ha Ha

I should say the RF would object. the name at present is associated iwht a man who has given his whole lfie to the RF and Britain. Of course they should honour him by using his name as a second or third name.. but leave the Pr Philip title for him....

I guess my take on it, is that her name is going to change multiple times over the course of the next 30 years. She started as Catherine 'Kate' Middleton, and then became Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. One day soon she'll be Catherine, Princess of Wales, and even later on Catherine, Queen Consort. So until the name is fully stabalized, for journalistic continuity, I don't see any problem referring to her as Kate Middleton, in writing. As long as they're not doing it maliciously. In person, every royal reporter I've seen/followed, refers to her as Catherine, or HRH, or Ma'am. They're not doing it to harm anyone or "bring her down," they very clearly respect her presence. This is a miniscule thing in the grand scheme of this woman's life.

Because it is extremely rude and quite without class. Just complete malicious lazy journalism. Just shows what the public now accepts from their news gathers that most sheep-like public accepts as truth because it is written by a paid reporter. I am not picking a fight just stating facts and once small things are accepted, oh well, where next...........JMO

"Extremely rude and quite without class" – surely that depends on your own preconceived feelings on the surname and on Kate's family. Although referring to her as "Kate Middleton" is incorrect and tedious for everyone who has a tiny bit of interest in the royals, I personally don't associate her maiden name with anything bad and I doubt Kate is ashamed of her maiden name, so I fail to see the classlessness? And like @Britters, I definitely think there are bigger fish to fry in the world.

Don't get me wrong, I too think it's annoying when the tabloids do this, sure, but it only annoys me. I don't think it's rude nor do I think it's done as an insult to her. And the thing about Kate's title is that if you want to be persnickety and get her titles 100% right, you can opt between "Princess William" and "the Duchess of Cambridge" and as a journalist (although in a slightly different field ;)), I can tell you that both options would sound very clunky to many editors. I personally cringe even more when the tabloids call her "Duchess Kate".

Catherine, Princess of Wales

Small correction.. She will NEVER [properly] be called Catherine, Princess of Wales, unless [Heaven forfend], she and her Husband Divorce. She will be the HRH the Princess of Wales, and ultimately HM the Queen.

I should say the RF would object. the name at present is associated iwht a man who has given his whole lfie to the RF and Britain. Of course they should honour him by using his name as a second or third name.. but leave the Pr Philip title for him....

Au conrtraire mon ami. I think the Duke of Edinburgh would be delightfully tickled pink along with the rest of the family.

I remember reading quite a few places where Philip complained: “I am nothing but a bloody amoeba. I am the only man in the country not allowed to give his name to his own children." Of course he was referring to his surname Mountbatten but if we look to the future, its very possible that if the new prince's name is Philip and he needs a legal surname for any given reason (like William did in France), his name would be Philip Mountbatten-Windsor.

Just sounds logical to me. :D

This argument is dragging on...in her day Diana was frequently referred to as Lady Diana, rather than her title. WHY DOES IT MATTER? I don't believe anyone is being malicious in calling her by her maiden name. And she quite obviously doesn't care.

Do you KNOW she does not care? Did you ask her?

Diana was referred to as "Lady" abroad, not so much in Britain. In scandinavian countries they frequently called her "Princess Diana" which is more correct than that Lady-title she actually in reality held for only about three years after her grandfather died until her wedding to the P of Wales.

Just a disclaimer- Princess Charlotte is not the first member of the Royal Family affected by the new laws of Succession.

They didn't say she wasn't the first person affected. They said that she is the first person who wasn't displaced by a younger brother and that was true. When Tanae and Rufus were born, they displacd their older sisters in line of succession. In 2013 it was reversed, but for a short time they were ahead of their sisters in succession.

The point the media is making is that Charlotte never faced that. The day she was born, she would never fall in line of succession due to younger brothers.

I think we won't know the name today. So tomorrow shall be the day, I hope.

They didn't say she wasn't the first person affected. They said that she is the first person who wasn't displaced by a younger brother and that was true. When Tanae and Rufus were born, they displacd their older sisters in line of succession. In 2013 it was reversed, but for a short time they were ahead of their sisters in succession.
[...]

It was reversed on March 26, 2015. The Succession to the Crown Act 2013 came into force on that day. :flowers:

https://www.parliament.uk/business/...written-statement/Commons/2015-03-26/HCWS490/

Commencement of Succession to the Crown Act 2013 :Written statement - HCWS490
WS
Deputy Prime Minister
Made on: 26 March 2015
Made by: Mr Nick Clegg (Deputy Prime Minister)
HCWS490
Commencement of Succession to the Crown Act 2013

Today the provisions of the Succession to the Crown Act 2013 come into force.

The Act removes the male bias in the line of succession, ending the system of male heirs automatically inheriting the throne over female heirs and removing this historic discrimination against women. The Act also ends another long-standing piece of discrimination, the bar on anyone who marries a Roman Catholic from becoming monarch, and replaces the outdated Royal Marriages Act 1772 such that only the first 6 in line to the throne need consent of the monarch to marry.

[...]​

The simplest reason for the press, especially in America, to keep calling her Kate Middleton is that they think the general public is either limited to a goldfish like memory and wouldn't remember what Kate Middleton's new name/title is. Or, that the public is of limited intelligence and would have been like "Who's this Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge woman???" "What happened to that Kate Middleton girl???"

Most people are not familiar with how titles work, and wouldn't remember the new title even if they knew how the titles worked, so wouldn't search for Duchess of XX.

Most people are not familiar with how titles work, and wouldn't remember the new title even if they knew how the titles worked, so wouldn't search for Duchess of XX.

And nowadays, the searching for news articles and photos online is the god of all things, and websites need the most clicks, so Kate Middleton it shall be, up to, and possibly even after she becomes queen many decades from now.:ohmy:

Will Kate and Wills name their new Royal Baby Prince ALBERT? | Daily Mail Online

Again from the Daily Mail, so apologies in advance....!! But it's the name I've picked so I thought I should post...

"The Royal Family's website has reserved a page for a Prince Albert, MailOnline can reveal, as the nation waits for William and Kate to announce his name.

It may be the strongest clue yet that a name has been picked for their third child, three days after the couple carried him home to Kensington Palace, West London.

As he and Harry opened a sports facility in central London today, William said he was still deciding on a name, adding he was 'delighted' to have picked as best man for the Royal Wedding.

But a page at www.royal.uk/prince-albert reads Access Denied - which is the same message that greets visitors trying to visit that page or those of the newborn's siblings. "

The access denied isn’t correct. No names are blocked. You just need to add “-0” to the end of the name.

Last edited:
Prince Albert? Surprised as there is already such a prominent Prince Albert in Monaco. That will be confusing. :rolleyes:

And I will have lost my bet. :sad:

Hoping by this time tomorrow night we know this little man’s name and who guessed right!

What if the new Prince's name is not revealed until next week? When Prince Charles was born, it took at least a week to state his name.

What if the new Prince's name is not revealed until next week? When Prince Charles was born, it took at least a week to state his name.

By that time ardent and very vocal royalists would march on Kensington Palace, holding up signs and DEMANDING a name! ?

It was one week with William, but Charles' name was announced when he was one MONTH old. I can't imagine the palpitations that would involve today! :lol:

It was one week with William, but Charles' name was announced when he was one MONTH old. I can't imagine the palpitations that would involve today! :lol:

Ha! Ha! By that time I would be confined to a darkened room, cold pack on my forehead, too weak to do anything but press the "refresh" button on my web browser.

I still think these names will be used (in no particular order):

Michael
Philip
Albert (Queen Elizabeth's father was called Bertie)
maybe James

Last guess, since I think the name will be announced tomorrow.

I think it will be Arthur Philip Michael.

I want it to be Philip Michael Charles or Alexander Michael Philip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom