Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Denville, Lilibet is a nickname but I don't always post in full seriousness.
This is a fun guessing game.

Rosamond is one of many names with a meaning associated with horses.
Rosie is quite an apt nickname for an English girl.

Catherine is a fine and suitable name. I agree, Osipi, that it is a real contender.

If the Queen Mother could give her first born daughter her name, there's a slight chance that a new princess could have a name after her mother. Something like Caitlin. Now that would be a royal twist in names. :D

Catherine Angela Marguerite ?

:previous: There isn't a small pool. They stick to Georgian/Hannoverian names for the first names true. But there are plenty of options left for both male or female.

The middle names there are no rules. They seem to choose family names.

We could go on here and make up combinations of names for days, some have, and likely wouldn't use up all of the options. There certainly is no reason they would need to reuse a royal name.

First names sticking Hannoverian/Victorian on:
-Alfred
-Albert
-David
-Richard
-Arthur
-Frederick
-Alice
-Helena
-Amelia
-Sophia
-Augusta
-Mary
-Margaret

Middle names with family links (to just name a few)
-Henry
-James
-Peter
-Michael
-Frances/is
-Valerie
-Carole
-could go on and on

Even without exhausting the family names, or branching further back into the family for a first name, can come up with dozens of combinations without coming close to needing to repeat any name used before.
Compared to choosing between hundreds or even thousands of options, their options are rather limited if they want to stick to traditional British royal names. You only came up with 6 or 7 first names for each gender - I don't consider that a lot of options. Which is probably why so many people guessed correctly with George and especially Charlotte.

However, as I clearly stated, there is no need to repeat as it is still very easy to pick three new ones even within the restrictions they seem to apply.

If the Queen Mother could give her first born daughter her name, there's a slight chance that a new princess could have a name after her mother. Something like Caitlin. Now that would be a royal twist in names. :D

I hope not... Catherine as a middle name is fine but giving your child your own first name not so much.

Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

I hope not... Catherine as a middle name is fine but giving your child your own first name not so much.

Men do it often not mothers / daughters

Last edited:
Yes it's odd that the Yorks did that, IMO. I always think it sets things up for confusion in the family later on.

Queen Mary called her daughter Mary; Q Victoria called her daughter (and others) Victoria and the Yorks called their daughter Elizabeth

so not unusual.

Victoria had an obsession about her name (and Albert's) being perpetuated among their descendants, not something you would think would have bothered the Yorks at that point. Mary Harewood (Princess Royal) was baptised Victoria Alexandra Alice Mary, though.

Last edited:
But known as Mary. The point is that the royal family don't have a problem with calling family members by the same name.

It's more confusing for royal watchers.

In Portugal it is common for the son to have the father's name or one of the father's names, my brother has the second name of my father. But it is rare among mothers and daughters. I went to Czech Republic last year, and my friend had her mother's name, I also meet other girls who had the same name as their mothers. At my work, I have a bulgarian female colleage who said to me that she will name her daughter after her. I think it depends on the country, though I think the UK doesn't follow that tradition.

Yes, among royal families, it wasn't uncommon at all to name a daughter for her mother. In modern times it has become more rare even for royals.

George III's daughter Charlotte (queen of Wurtemberg) was named for her mother. (eldest daughter)

Frederick's eldest daughter was Augusta, Duchess of Brunswick for her mother

George II's third daughter was Caroline for her mother. (older 2 sisters were Anne for Queen Anne of GB and Amelia)

George I's daughter had a double barrel name for her mother Sophia Dorothea

Anne's second daughter (1st named for her sister) was Anne Sophia.

James II named his second daughter Anne for her mother Anne Hyde.

Charles I had a daughter Henrietta for her mother.

James VI didn't name any daughter after his wife Anne. So between James VI and Edward VII, every couple named a daughter (often the eldest) for her mother.

Its in modern times, that it is uncommon for royal daughters, and even sons, to share a first name with their parents. It seems now with the long list of middle names they get, the emphasis seems to be to give them a first name that is just their own name.

But I don't see a Princess Catherine if a girl. I think they will continue a modern tendency for the child having its own name.

Last edited:
But known as Mary. The point is that the royal family don't have a problem with calling family members by the same name.

It's more confusing for royal watchers.
That's true, but I also think it might have gone a little out of fashion (just like marrying cousins) - I don't expect William and Catherine to follow this example.

Here was news that a Prince could be called Thomas. I include the link so you can here the announcer announce that by using Thomas, the Cambridges would modernize the monarchy.

It was very common for centuries in Britain for children of both sexes to be given the same first names as their parents. It is only relatively recently that the custom has gone out of fashion.

Here was news that a Prince could be called Thomas. I include the link so you can here the announcer announce that by using Thomas, the Cambridges would modernize the monarchy.

Not sure how Thomas would be 'modernizing' the monarchy. :ermm:

Has a royal history. Son of Edward I, Thomas Brotherton, Earl of Norfolk. Edward III had a son Thomas, Duke of Gloucester. Henry IV had a son Thomas, Duke of Clarence. John of Gaunt had a son named Thomas who was Duke of Exeter. There are also some married into the family.

If they shocked us and went further back into the tree, little Prince Thomas of Cambridge would be the fifth born into the family tree (4th to a king/future king).

Heck even Kate has a few Thomas in her family trees going back.

I like Thomas.

George, Charlotte & Thomas - nice.

Now that would be interesting : Princess Camilla. :flowers: Would be a clear signal for people to 'get over' the past. Would be an amazing gesture.

Prince Tom....hmmmm.....I dunno. :huh: But why the flurry? Does someone know something and it got leaked? Curious. ;)

Now that would be interesting : Princess Camilla. :flowers: Would be a clear signal for people to 'get over' the past. Would be an amazing gesture.

Prince Tom....hmmmm.....I dunno. :huh: But why the flurry? Does someone know something and it got leaked? Curious. ;)

None, Thomas just happens to be on a long list of names on Labrokes for you to bet on. And it seems to have moved up. Its still far from the top, its 7th. And its on a list with other names that are out there: Oliver (yep see naming the baby for Cromwell). Arthur, James, Albert, Alfred, Frederick and Philip are the top bets for boys. Mary, Alice, Victoria, Alexandra and Diana for a girl are top five.
https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/...e-of-william-and-kates-third-child/225676834/

I definitely vote for Princess Mary (over Princess Alice). And heaven forfend, not Arthur! Pretty please! ;)

I definitely vote for Princess Mary (over Princess Alice). And heaven forfend, not Arthur! Pretty please! ;)

I don't like any of the male A names, except for Alexander, and they used that already.

I really hope the baby is a girl!

I hope they pick a "new" first name that isn't considered a royal name. i.e. Emily/Amelia or Thomas. Crown Prince Frederik named one of the twins Vincent, and stated that although it's not a Danish royal name, he always liked it.

So my guess is Princess Emily Catherine Victoria of Cambridge or Prince Thomas Michael Philip of Cambridge

At this stage, I'm thinking a little Prince will be born

I hope they pick a "new" first name that isn't considered a royal name. i.e. Emily/Amelia or Thomas. Crown Prince Frederik named one of the twins Vincent, and stated that although it's not a Danish royal name, he always liked it.

So my guess is Princess Emily Catherine Victoria of Cambridge or Prince Thomas Michael Philip of Cambridge

Amelia has been a royal name before, as it was the name of a daughter of George III

So I think Kate is having a boy.
So my top five picks for the name are Albert, Christian, Alexander, Patrick, and Peter.
If they are having a girl, my choices are Victoria, Alexandra, Alice, Rose and Philipia.
What are your picks and opinions?

Those are nice choices.

Thomas and Amelia have both been royal names in the UK, Amelia is even a Georgian/Hannoverian name which would be right up Cambridge's alley. Emily isn't, but Emma is the name of the queen consort of 2 kings of the England, mother of 2 and stepmother of 2.

Emma of Normandy also had two daughters named Gunhilda and Goda/Godgifu, but, just like Emma, they probably would not be used today.

I think Harry and Meghan are the ones who will try different names.

We are getting close to the birth date, therefore, reposting my December prediction below.

I believe we can get fairly close in our prediction by studying the naming patterns of members of the current House of Windsor. Whether boy or girl names (generally) follow the below pattern.

Given name = Traditional Hanoverian Name
Middle names = honor a Hanoverian, Saxon or Montbatten ancestor.

This naming pattern is not 100% true to all members but generally works.

We can rule out combinations of George Alexander Louis and Charlotte Diana Elizabeth because they are already being used by William & Kate's current children. Therefore, my predictions are:

Boy ~ Edward Arthur Phillip

Girl ~ Caroline Catherine Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom