Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. It's traditional without sounding stodgy. Maybe David Charles Michael?

Not sure we will see Charles, already honored in Charlotte.

David Michael Philip has a nice ring. Or David Philip Michael.

David Phillip Michael? David Phillip Charles? Maybe neither? Who knows!

LaRae

I hope it's a boy, but for naming purposes only, I hope it's a girl haha. While my girl name preferences line up with the BRF, the boy names I prefer are all Scottish/Welsh and NOT something I'd see the Cambridges using!

What I hope they'll choose for a girl: Eleanor, Victoria, Caroline, Frances, Adelaide
(For many years my pseudonym was actually Caroline Frances, so reading one of the posts with that made me start).

Not long now! I can't wait.

And for those hoping for more nonroyal names, I think Harry and Meghan will go that route. Peter and Zara have already. :)

Maybe they'll opt for Sophia which is a very popular girls' name in the UK. I know there are European royals with the name but most Brits wouldn't know that given knowledge of foreign royals is almost non-existent in the UK.

I'm just glad they gave the middle name Diana to Charlotte as that means we'll be spared another Princess Diana if it's a girl.

As for boys, I could see them going with Hugo which is very popular with the upper class in the UK. I'd personally love a Prince Arthur or Prince Philip.

Maybe they'll opt for Sophia which is a very popular girls' name in the UK. I know there are European royals with the name but most Brits wouldn't know that given knowledge of foreign royals is almost non-existent in the UK.

I'm just glad they gave the middle name Diana to Charlotte as that means we'll be spared another Princess Diana if it's a girl.

As for boys, I could see them going with Hugo which is very popular with the upper class in the UK. I'd personally love a Prince Arthur or Prince Philip.

The only issue I see with Sophia is the risk of confusion with Sophie Wessex (since Sophie is a nickname for Sophia).

Even if they decide to go totally off the rail, and choose a name without any royal or family connection, Hugo is unlikely. They tend towards the more trendy names, and while picking up some popularity in the aristocracy, its slow. Hugo barely breaks the top 50 names, is number 50. Its far more popular in other European countries. At least use Hugh, which is English, and has a link to the Van Cutsems who are close friends.

I think if people are holding their breath for a trendy non-royal name, they will be waiting for Harry/Meghan. And even them, I don't see going as far off branch as Anne or her kids did.

It will be a nice Hannoverian name with some popularity to match George and Charlotte. Or something slightly off that path, but similar feel, like David.

The only issue I see with Sophia is the risk of confusion with Sophie Wessex (since Sophie is a nickname for Sophia).

Sophia is a nickname for Sophie?? Variation yes, but never heard it as a nickname.

Choosing a name used in an older generation doesn't seem much concern. Honestly if they took all the names currently used in the family off the table, we wouldn't have much left to use. Now using a name like James, when the bearer is a child himself, is slightly different. The Countess of Wessex will be in her 80's and likely close to retiring when this baby becomes a full time working royal (if like their dad and uncle).

Last edited:
Yes, Sophie could be sweet.
Sophie Elinor Anne
Sophie Catherine Jane
Sophie Camilla Mary

Hugh Richard Henry could never loose his HRH!

How about Scottish names:
Hamish, Dougal, Alister, Angus, Jock, Stirling. Stuart, Fergus
Heather, Isobel, Elspeth, Jean, Maisie, Catriona, Alison, Alanna

Sophia is a nickname for Sophie?? Variation yes, but never heard it as a nickname.

Sorry if the meaning got confused but I meant it the other way around. It is not uncommon for a girl named Sophia to be nicknamed Sophie.

Also, while Princess Sophia of Cambridge and Sophie, The Countess of Wessex might not be of the same generation, I don't see William and Kate choosing a name so close to that of William's aunt when there are other names with royal connections that aren't already used in the immediate family (Alice, Mary, Amelia, Adelaide, Matilda, Eleanor, etc...)

Yes, Sophie could be sweet.
Sophie Elinor Anne
Sophie Catherine Jane
Sophie Camilla Mary

Hugh Richard Henry could never loose his HRH!

How about Scottish names:
Hamish, Dougal, Alister, Angus, Jock, Stirling. Stuart, Fergus
Heather, Isobel, Elspeth, Jean, Maisie, Catriona, Alison, Alanna

I am guessing you are an outlander fan??? Only thing went through my mind reading your suggestions ?

I wouldn't be expecting any name without royal heritage. And certainly nothing out of the fashionable names.

I think the kid has a better chance of being Princess Buttercup then having Camilla in her name.

Sorry if the meaning got confused but I meant it the other way around. It is not uncommon for a girl named Sophia to be nicknamed Sophie.

Also, while Princess Sophia of Cambridge and Sophie, The Countess of Wessex might not be of the same generation, I don't see William and Kate choosing a name so close to that of William's aunt when there are other names with royal connections that aren't already used in the immediate family (Alice, Mary, Amelia, Adelaide, Matilda, Eleanor, etc...)

Same idea which ever way you put it. Usually nicknames are that, a nickname. Usually short, or different all together. Not just changing the spelling. I guess different places different nicknames.

They have shown with George and Charlotte they have no issue using names use among the close family. Both Charlotte and George are being used in the Spencer family.

Amelia is currently used in the extended royal family as well.

Last edited:
I'm odd. When I think of the name Donald, I think Duck. Especially watching NCIS with David McCallum as Donald Mallard AKA Ducky. :lol:

Perhaps the Cambridges will go with a name with no real royal association but just because they like the name such as Paul or Matthew or Christopher for a boy and Barbara or Sheila or Amanda for a girl.

Won't be long now until we do find out. :D

Both Paul and Christopher are names of Prince Philip's Greek relations - one an uncle and the other a 1st cousin (and King).

King Paul of Greece was ex-King Constantine's father while Prince Christopher was Prince Andrew's brother.

Maybe a way of honouring Philip without using Philip though.

Both Paul and Christopher are names of Prince Philip's Greek relations - one an uncle and the other a 1st cousin (and King).

King Paul of Greece was ex-King Constantine's father while Prince Christopher was Prince Andrew's brother.

Maybe a way of honouring Philip without using Philip though.

There is a difference between royal names and British royal names. Just because a name is used in foreign royal families, doesn't make it royal in the UK. Like Gustaf is a wonderful name for a future Swedish king, but a British one? Haakon a wonderful name for a king of Norway, but Spain?

I guess if we are going to go that far a branch to honor Philip we can add some great names. Among his uncles and aunts (by marriage or blood) and cousins:

-Gustaf
-Donatus
-Berhold
-Gotfried
-Kraft
-Welf
-Ludwig
-Olga
-Friedrike
-Christina
-Clarissa

I vote for

Prince Kraft Ludwig Fergus of Cambridge

Prince Welf Gottfried Claude of Cambridge

or

Princess Olga Clarissa Violet of Cambridge

Princess Edwina Friedrike Hyacinth of Cambridge

Very royal names :flowers:

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with Olga. It's beautiful royal name. And it's actually British royal name: one of queen Mary's middle names was Olga.

Her full name was Victoria Mary Augusta Louise Olga Pauline Claudine Agnes. All these names can be used for the Cambridge baby.

Of all the names that have been mentioned, these are the ones I like:

Boy- David, Michael, Stephen.

Girl- Isabella, Victoria, Alice.

I don't care for any of the others.

(But of course, I won't be consulted).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Frideswide
Not necessarily. The title of Princess Royal may be granted by the monarch to his/her eldest daughter, but it's not automatic. It's in the gift of the monarch.

Princess Anne was not granted the title until 1987, although it had been available since the death of the previous holder (Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood) in 1965. It was generally seen as an award in recognition of her charity work.
Like Charles was granted POW in his teens and not when his mother ascended the throne, it was simply delayed for Anne. It was never a question of if she would gain the title.
That's not so. As I recall, it came as a surprise to most people. I don't remember much speculation about it beforehand.

Its not a popularity contest. If William and Kate have 2 daughters, it wont be a 'who does more charity work' battle. The title is given to the eldest daughter of the monarch (when free to be given). If it isn't given to Charlotte, it will lay dormant. There is no fear that if Charlotte has a little sister, she may not be the future Princess royal.

I didn't suggest that it was a popularity contest or a battle. I already stated that the title if granted goes to the eldest daughter of the monarch. It wouldn't surprise me if the title is left dormant after the death of Princess Anne.

Countessmeout, I took you extremely serious when you mentioned Donald.
Princess Beatrice of the United Kingdom and Prince Henry of Battenberg named their youngest son Maurice Victor Donald.

I see nothing wrong with Olga. It's beautiful royal name. And it's actually British royal name: one of queen Mary's middle names was Olga.

Her full name was Victoria Mary Augusta Louise Olga Pauline Claudine Agnes. All these names can be used for the Cambridge baby.

I agree; Olga is a nice name and whilst I don't think it's a likely choice for the Cambridges (purely because they seem to like more mainstream royal names), it's not an impossible choice either.

Olga is popular in the Kent family and is amongst Princess Alexandra's middle names, and I do believe that her great-niece Estella Taylor has Olga as one of her middle names too.

With the Kent's though it was probably because of their descent from Princess Marina and thus honouring Princess Marina's grandmother - Queen Olga of Greece (she was also Prince Philip's grandmother but he didn't use either of his grandmother's names for his daughter - his mother yes but not his grandmother's). Marina was very close to her Greek family and so using Olga made sense (I know wikipedia says the Olga comes from one of Alexandra's aunts, Olga of Yugoslavia but where did she get the Olga from - from her grandmother Olga, Queen of Greece).

With the Kent's though it was probably because of their descent from Princess Marina and thus honouring Princess Marina's grandmother - Queen Olga of Greece (she was also Prince Philip's grandmother but he didn't use either of his grandmother's names for his daughter - his mother yes but not his grandmother's). Marina was very close to her Greek family and so using Olga made sense (I know wikipedia says the Olga comes from one of Alexandra's aunts, Olga of Yugoslavia but where did she get the Olga from - from her grandmother Olga, Queen of Greece).

Queen Olga had only one forename, Olga.

Nor with Edwina.. It was the name of Mountbattens' wife, who was named Edwardina after her godfather King Ed VII

Philip was also only 5 years old when his grandmother died and both of them where in Exile during that time so it couild be that he wan't so close to her as Marina was.

Alice seems much more likely. I would reserve Alicia for a Spanish or a non-reigning Italian princess.

That's true; I did consider that when posting but just wanted to highlight that Olga is not totally out of the blue for the Cambridges.

A little Prince Philip would be nice I think.

Let's be honest, the DoE doesn't have so many years left that having two Philips in the family would be much of an impediment and I suspect the instinct to honour him will grow among his grandchildren as he moves into the very final years of his life.

This all comes across as a bit morbid perhaps but isn't intended to be. I suspect the DoE would secretly quite like it too while insisting he's not bothered at all. Evidence suggests there are several softer layers hidden beneath that gruff, no-nonsense exterior.

If by some extraordinary coincidence, the child is a girl and is born on 21st April, we may well have a little Princess Elizabeth.

Now that would be awesome wouldn't it? Perhaps not an Elizabeth but maybe an Eliza or a variation of Elizabeth. Hmmmm... maybe Lilabet. :D

It's one of Charlotte's middle names though so I suspect they won't use Elizabeth again, but who knows?

How about just Eliza? (that name got into my head after watching Shape of Water)

Now that would be awesome wouldn't it? Perhaps not an Elizabeth but maybe an Eliza or a variation of Elizabeth. Hmmmm... maybe Lilabet. :D

They could go with Lillian in that case, in honor of her family nickname Lilibet. While not a royal name in the UK, it wouldn't sound out of place and would avoid repeating the name Elizabeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom