Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's wrong with Henrietta? Is it because Queen Henrietta Maria was a catholic and the wife of Charles I?

But is highly unlikely anyway.

Henrietta would be lovely as a middle name. Or use the French equivalent which is Henriette. When Princess Henrietta Anne married Prince Philippe of France, she became Henriette Anne.

strictlcy speaking a few of these are Leonor.. not Eleanor.. it is a variant of Eleanor.. but its not the same.

It depends from the language; in my native one it's one name: ELEONORA.;)

Good thing about being 'princess royal', no little sister is going to displace her for that. Once Anne dies, Charlotte will be princess royal :flowers:

Sorry I don't get the- I hope its a boy as it will be so much fun for George. In reality they are five years apart. This baby isn't going to be fun or interesting to George for some time to come. They wont even go to school together much. If they go to Eton, George would finish before his brother even starts.

I don't mind boy or girl, either way is great. They have one of each so happy with either one. I do kind of hope its a boy, as I am hoping/ thinking Zara is having a boy. And unlike George, Zara's boy and this little baby will be good playmates at family events.

Some great names, well other then Henrietta, but I think we will all be disappointed in our hopes they branch out from their usual Georgian path.

Victoria seems unlikely, especially with the 'reserved for a queen' rumors. I think if they were going to use it as a first name, Charlotte would be Victoria.

A lot of people don't like reusing a name in the same generation, of close family. James may be William's cousin not the baby's, but he is much closer in age to the baby. Its not the same as say Richard where the current holder is almost 74, and wont be confused with the baby (especially as the public tends to know him by his title).

If its a boy, and born on April 15th, perhaps a middle name James in honor of his Uncle who he would share his birthday with.

The problem I see with that argument (the 'reserved for a Queen' argument), is that monarchs are able to choose their own name once they ascend the throne, and it need not be one of their given names. Charles, it is rumored, will forego King Charles in favor of King George VII. Queen Victoria was actually Alexandrina. King George VI, given name was Albert, George being his fourth name. So if Charlotte were to ascend (or any female), she could choose to be recognized as Queen Victoria II.

So I don't think that argument holds water in the naming game. If Charles does indeed become King George VII, there will be two George's in the main family, so it's not like it's a big deal to the Cambridge's.

strictlcy speaking a few of these are Leonor.. not Eleanor.. it is a variant of Eleanor.. but its not the same.

Actually only one is a Leonor - the Princess of Asturias. The others are Princess Leonore of Sweden, Duchess of Gotland; Princess Eléonore of Belgium; and Leonore, Countess of Orange-Nassau. All are variants of Eleanor.

The problem I see with that argument (the 'reserved for a Queen' argument), is that monarchs are able to choose their own name once they ascend the throne, and it need not be one of their given names. Charles, it is rumored, will forego King Charles in favor of King George VII. Queen Victoria was actually Alexandrina. King George VI, given name was Albert, George being his fourth name. So if Charlotte were to ascend (or any female), she could choose to be recognized as Queen Victoria II.

So I don't think that argument holds water in the naming game. If Charles does indeed become King George VII, there will be two George's in the main family, so it's not like it's a big deal to the Cambridge's.

While would Charles forego his first name he is worldly know under?:eek:
If it comes for Charles I, I could understand, but wasn't Charles II a decent king? He tried not to commit his father's faults.

Charlotte couldn't be Queen Victoria II, because she doesn't have Victoria in her names; she could be Queen Elizabeth III.?

While would Charles forego his first name he is worldly know under?:eek:
If it comes for Charles I, I could understand, but wasn't Charles II a decent king? He tried not to commit his father's faults.

Charlotte couldn't be Queen Victoria II, because she doesn't have Victoria in her names; she could be Queen Elizabeth III.?

Charles II apparently had a very prolific love life, that, given the way Charles' marriage to Diana played out, people say could draw nasty comparisons. I don't necessarily agree, but from what I've read, it's the argument.

The name a monarch chooses doesn't need to be a given name, if I understand right. So if, for some reason, Charlotte were to ascend, she could choose Victoria II if she chooses, she's Queen at that point, she can do as she pleases. That being said, I would guess, if she were in that position, and she weren't to choose Queen Charlotte, we'd be looking at a Queen Elizabeth III.

George, Charlotte and Eleanor does have a nice ring to it. They all flow nicely together.

I doubt if they would.

While the name Charlotte entered the British royal family with the German Hanoverians (ignoring the two illegitimate daughters of Charles II), it originated in France.

Charles was considered a 'kingly name' by his mother who herself kept her name as queen. William is also the name of a former king as is George. I don't see a reason why any future king would use a different regal name given that their names were picked having their future position in mind.

So yes, in theory they can choose a different name but I think the public would think they are very out of touch with modern times if they would do so (and most likely, they don't feel the need either). Charles has been known as Charles for all his life, I'd say very few people will think back to previous king Charleses, they will mainly think about the current prince of Wales as that is the association people will have with the name 'Charles'.

There are many Eleanors in Royal Families already (Princess of Asturias, firstborn daughters of Princess Madeleine and Prince Constantijn, youngest daughter of the King of Belgium..)

If they like the name very much it should not matter. At the end of the day its personal preference. Eleanor is a beautiful name but I doubt they will go the French route. So possibly Alice, Mar, Elizabeth or Victoria.

Charles was considered a 'kingly name' by his mother who herself kept her name as queen. William is also the name of a former king as is George. I don't see a reason why any future king would use a different regal name given that their names were picked having their future position in mind.

So yes, in theory they can choose a different name but I think the public would think they are very out of touch with modern times if they would do so (and most likely, they don't feel the need either). Charles has been known as Charles for all his life, I'd say very few people will think back to previous king Charleses, they will mainly think about the current prince of Wales as that is the association people will have with the name 'Charles'.

Again, King George VI was styled Albert, he chose not to be King Albert but King George, but was known privately as Bertie. Victoria was Princess Alexandrina (and was born to be Queen,), and chose to style herself Queen Victoria. It's been known to happen. He may choose to remain Charles in his private life, and become King George VII publicly as a nod to his Grandfather and grandmother. We won't know until the day comes. He could choose to remain Charles. Who knows. Perhaps he might feel restyling himself might distance himself from the name he has made as PoW. A rebirth as it may be. (Doubtful, but an argument I've heard made nonetheless).

Last edited:
Charles II apparently had a very prolific love life, that, given the way Charles' marriage to Diana played out, people say could draw nasty comparisons. I don't necessarily agree, but from what I've read, it's the argument.

The name a monarch chooses doesn't need to be a given name, if I understand right. So if, for some reason, Charlotte were to ascend, she could choose Victoria II if she chooses, she's Queen at that point, she can do as she pleases. That being said, I would guess, if she were in that position, and she weren't to choose Queen Charlotte, we'd be looking at a Queen Elizabeth III.

Or Charlotte could even opt to be known as "Queen Diana" as that is one of her names also. ;)

Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

Let’s move on; the topic of discussion is the Gender & Name for Kate & William’s 3rd Child, not the regnal name of Prince Charles or what Charlotte might reign as if she becomes Queen.

Well, Isabella is just another version of Elizabeth that makes me think of Isabella of France and i don't think a lot of people like her.

Also Constance is beautiful, and was the name of Kate's paternal great-grandmother

Isabella of France, wife of King Edward I
Isabella of England, daughter of King Edward III
Isabella of France, second wife of King Richard II

I'm betting Alice or Mary.

LaRae

Oops, the first Isabella was the wife of Edward II not I.

I'm betting Alice or Mary.

LaRae

I think they will go with Alice. Great tribute for Philip. Also it amazes me how I got the name for both of their kids correct. I knew they would chose George and Charlotte. Weird.

I really do like George and Charlotte (particularly Charlotte), just seems they would go with Alice (I've thought this for awhile) due to the family connection. Mary could be an option too.

I'm still stuck on David or Phillip for a boy.

LaRae

David is very scottish but way better than Donald or Duncan like mentioned before

David is also the patron saint of Wales. I think it would be a very nice choice.

David I was the son of Saint Margaret a princess from the House of Wessex

David is very nice name, Philip as well. I like Arthur too and John (pity it's a no-no name for the royal family, my father's first name is João, the portuguese version of John). I really don't like Albert, it's a name for elderly man, but then again, George sounded too, but I got used to it, maybe I'll get used to Albert if it gets picked.

Mary is my favourite name. I also like the suggested Eleanor (in Portugal is Leonor and I've meet one Leonora). I doubt they will choose Victoria and Elizabeth. Alexandra is also a very good name, but George has Alexander, so they might not choose Alexandra. I really don't like Alice, but it's up to the parents to decide.

Can't really wait for this young royal to be born!

In Brazil is Leonor too but really uncommon

David is very nice name, Philip as well. I like Arthur too and John (pity it's a no-no name for the royal family, my father's first name is João, the portuguese version of John). I really don't like Albert, it's a name for elderly man, but then again, George sounded too, but I got used to it, maybe I'll get used to Albert if it gets picked.

Mary is my favourite name. I also like the suggested Eleanor (in Portugal is Leonor and I've meet one Leonora). I doubt they will choose Victoria and Elizabeth. Alexandra is also a very good name, but George has Alexander, so they might not choose Alexandra. I really don't like Alice, but it's up to the parents to decide.

Can't really wait for this young royal to be born!

Why wouldn't they chose Victoria or Elizabeth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom