Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Olive wasn’t Kate grandmother. Olive Middleton was her Paternal Great Grandmother. Mike’s mom who worked at Bletchley Park was named Valerie.

My mistake. I was killing a few minutes at work and didn't have all of the notes in front of my. Perhaps we may not see anything in the name that comes from her side of the family. I'd like to think we will but I won't hold my breath.

I really doubt David would get the ok as a first name while the Queen is alive. There's just too much baggage from her own lifetime associated with it. Maybe it would be all right for one of the rarely-mentioned middle names.

Last edited:
Harry has David as one of his names. Although I think its very unlikely that this third child, should it be a male, will be named David, the name David is still used within the royal family. Even with all the baggage that remains associated with the name and the dismay of the abdication, I believe that HM remained fond of her Uncle David.

I really doubt David would get the ok as a first name while the Queen is alive. There's just too much baggage from her own lifetime associated with it. Maybe it would be all right for one of the rarely-mentioned middle names.

The Queen's nephew (Princess Margaret's son) is named David, so clearly it wasn't seen as a problem even while the Duke of Windsor was alive.

The non royal nephew of the Queen is different from a royal prince. It’s the same reason why Zara can be Zara but George or Charlotte weren’t going to be Buddy and Phoebe.

David Armstrong Jones more likely named for Patron Saint of Wales (Tony being Welsh) than for Uncle David.

The non royal nephew of the Queen is different from a royal prince. It’s the same reason why Zara can be Zara but George or Charlotte weren’t going to be Buddy and Phoebe.

David Armstrong Jones more likely named for Patron Saint of Wales (Tony being Welsh) than for Uncle David.

'Uncle David' was also named for the patron saint. As we all know, it wasn't his first name and he didn't use it as his regnal name, so I don't see any issue.

My point about David Linley/Armstrong Jones was that there is clearly no personal aversion to the name within the close family.

That said, I doubt the Cambridges would choose David, simply because the name is currently out of fashion.
(Actually I see to my surprise it's in the top 50, although I don't know of any little Davids. So who knows.)

Last edited:
I don’t like Olive but that’s the name of Kate’s paternal great grandmother. Peter Middleton’s mother. Everyone harping about Alice because it was Philip’s mother’s name. So Kate’s side of distant grandmothers should be allowed too.

Just because you don't like a name, doesn't make the suggestion Harping. Alice just seems a popular choice.

Names from Kate's side are certainly not off the table. But ones with no royal connection, are less likely to be used as a first name for a royal child. Just the reality with kids so close to the throne. They may surprise us.

Alice is not just Philip's mother's name. It is a British royal name. The daughter of Queen Victoria (mother of Empress Alix), the late Countess of Althone, and the late Duchess of Gloucester were all Alice. So the name certainly has a British royal history as well.

It also made the list for George as it seems Kate wrote a college dissertation on Alice in wonderland, said to be a favorite. Who knows.

It would be nice if Peter or Valerie were included to honor her grandparents. Peter Middleton had a very nice link to Prince Philip of course. Also tie in William's cousin.

Princess Alice Valerie Rose- named for two women who played important roles in WWII, who definitely could be a legacy for any little girl. Princess Alice (righteous among nations) and Valerie who was a code breaker.

Prince Philip Michael Peter-paternal grandfathers of both mom and dad, both served in war. Michael for her dad since Charles was honored in Charlotte.

Last edited:
People here aren't necessarily harping about Alice, but the general uninformed public is. Have you seen the tabloids? Ick. "It's a girl and she'll be named Alice!" Every single pregnancy. Most outrageous: "Kate revealed her pregnancy to Will by giving him a letter from the perspective of their daughter Alice" and "Kate tells G & C by giving them pink cupcakes!" Not even joking. And people believe it! I've seen comments like "I can't wait to see George, Charlotte, and little Alice together" in multiple forms.

Personally, I like the name Alice. It was high in my girl list years ago. However, if I were Kate, I feel like I'd be wary of using the name--no matter how much she apparently likes it, dissertation and all--as it would be so predictable and the media would have a field day. Not to mention I bet she and Will hear the name with bad taste after the media's obsession with it for two, now three pregnancies. Probably have a few inside jokes too. We all know how much W dislikes the media..

That said, if they did go with Alice I wouldn't be tooo shocked (eh, well I'd be pretty surprised)

Kate’s university dissertation was not about Alice in Wonderland but the photographs taken by its author Lewis Carroll. It was titled Angels from Heaven: Lewis Carroll’s Photographic Interpretation of Childhood.

Another female name that they may use that would be a bit different yet very historically meaningful would be Alexandrina. A Princess Drina would be kind of cute. :D

I have a feeling they will go with something that will 'tie in' with George/Charlotte.

LaRae

They’ve selected a name many expected (George) and a name few expected (Charlotte). In doing so they’ve shown themselves immune to public opinion and superstition. So Alice could be used even if expected and David could be used even if considered bad luck or bad form or whatever.

If a boy, I expect to see Phillip and Michael in the name. Perhaps Phillip Michael Peter or Michael James Phillip.

If a girl, and if they’ve decided to stop at three, we could see either Philippa or Michaela as middle names.

If a girl, and if Kate’s thesis plays into it, perhaps Louise Carole as middle names.... or if you want to go all out, Alice Louise Carole.:flowers:

Personally, I would love Mary as the first name for a girl. I love the way Jude Law pronounces it in the Sherlock Holmes movies.

There is a Louise already (Lady Louise Windsor) in the family.

They’ve selected a name many expected (George) and a name few expected (Charlotte).

Oh, I don't think Charlotte was an unexpected choice at all.

Name of previous Queen Consort, and Princesses (including heir to the throne).
No current member of the RF called Charlotte.
Name currently fashionable.
Variant of grandfather's name (Charles).
Variant of grandmother's name (Carole).

No of course it was not unexpected. charlotte is a very "conventional royal and upper class name." Its alos, as you Say Frideswide the feminine of Charles and a variant of Carole. its Philippa Ms second name.
I think it, Alexandra and ALice were highly favoured names by the bookies before Charl was born...

The Queen's nephew (Princess Margaret's son) is named David, so clearly it wasn't seen as a problem even while the Duke of Windsor was alive.
David was the name of one of the Q Mothter's brothers, I think a much loved one and that's why David Linley was so called.

Last edited by a moderator:
David was the name of one of the Q Mothter's brothers, I think a much loved one and that's why David Linley was so called.

Yes, the queen mum's only younger sibling. David Bowes-Lyon died at Birkhall in September 1961. His sister sadly found him dead. Margaret was pregnant at the time (David Armstrong-Jones was born about six weeks later November 3).

I think Sophia may be a contender.
William and Kate seem to favor the Georgian names, it is currently fashionable, and it has been used in the past by the RF.

I hope they get away from the Georgians for a boy, or the poor kid might get stuck with Adolphus or Augustus or something!

Both George abd Charlotte were safe choices well within the scope of British royal tradition. I believe they will follow that pattern for the third child. If it is a girl, the first given name might be Alice; if it is a boy, it may be Arthur or Alfred.

Both George abd Charlotte were safe choices well within the scope of British royal tradition. I believe they will follow that pattern for the third child. If it is a girl, the first given name might be Alice; if it is a boy, it may be Arthur or Alfred.

I agree. George and Charlotte were both top contenders for the prior two pregnancies both with royal watchers and with the press. There were really only a handful of names they could realistically use for a first born boy and future King. The options for girls were a little more plentiful but not unlimited.

With a third baby who's very unlikely to ever be the monarch they'd have a little more freedom to branch out if they wanted, but now they need to find something that goes well with the other two names. Alice has been brought up over and over for each pregnancy, but it's a pretty name and fits well George and Charlotte. Arthur would be nice for a boy, as would David.

I'd very much like to see a little Philip but not sure how likely that is.

No of course it was not unexpected. charlotte is a very "conventional royal and upper class name." Its alos, as you Say Frideswide the feminine of Charles and a variant of Carole. its Philippa Ms second name.
I think it, Alexandra and ALice were highly favoured names by the bookies before Charl was born...

Oh I agree Charlotte is conventional, royal and upper class, etc etc... I just remember reading (at the time) a lot of opinion that it wouldn’t be used because of it’s history specifically in the Royal family. Thanks for the tip on bookies, I guess that’s where I should get my information! :lol:

I think Sophia may be a contender.
William and Kate seem to favor the Georgian names, it is currently fashionable, and it has been used in the past by the RF.

I hope they get away from the Georgians for a boy, or the poor kid might get stuck with Adolphus or Augustus or something!

I don't see any future royal baby, either in the UK or Sweden getting Adolphus/Adoph for obvious reasons even if a family name.

Certainly Augustus is not the only other Georgian option. Alfred, Albert, Ernest (not like IMO), Arthur, Frederick and Victor would all be possibilities. But I too would love them to break out of the Georgian era and go further back.

Oh I agree Charlotte is conventional, royal and upper class, etc etc... I just remember reading (at the time) a lot of opinion that it wouldn’t be used because of it’s history specifically in the Royal family. Thanks for the tip on bookies, I guess that’s where I should get my information! :lol:
I think before George was born the bookies had a big surge of bets on Alexandra at one stage.. and it turned out that George DID have the name Alexander in his names.. maybe something had leaked out.
I don't think the RF are MEGA supersititious, there are a few names that they don't like, I think John is one. but there has been sadness attached to the name John for Q Alexandra's son and also Q Marys.
SO I wouldn't expect a senior royal son to be called Prince John.

Didn't Diana also have a brother John who died in infancy? That said, it was her father's name so the Cambridge children had a great-grandfather named John.

Personally I think it's time for John to return and break the supposed jinx. As I said before though, I don't think they would choose it anyway because it's unfashionable.

I'm inclining towards the supposition that rather eventual Harry & Meghan's son could be named John (wedding in 2018, baby son in 2019? - full 100 years after the passing of Prince John Windsor).

I don't see any future royal baby, either in the UK or Sweden getting Adolphus/Adoph for obvious reasons even if a family name.

Certainly Augustus is not the only other Georgian option. Alfred, Albert, Ernest (not like IMO), Arthur, Frederick and Victor would all be possibilities. But I too would love them to break out of the Georgian era and go further back.
And on the girls side, there are certainly more options than just Alice. Amelia, Mary, and Sophia are all in the Georgian wheelhouse, moreso than Alice, which I think is much more Victorian and Edwardian. In the Victorian/Edwardian strain we have Maud, Helena, and Alexandra.

If it's a girl, and when considering baby naming trends, I lean toward Alice, Amelia, Mary, and Maud as the top contenders.

I have to agree with those who are hedging bets on Frederick, Alfred or Arthur for a boy.

Didn't Diana also have a brother John who died in infancy? That said, it was her father's name so the Cambridge children had a great-grandfather named John.

Personally I think it's time for John to return and break the supposed jinx. As I said before though, I don't think they would choose it anyway because it's unfashionable.

Her father was technically Edward John, though he was nicknamed Johnnie. Just like one of two Windsors named prince John, was Alexander John. But yes, a year before Diana was born, the couple's first son John died only 10 hours after birth.

The name was considered unlucky before Mary and George V used it. Due to King John and then Alexander John, the son of Edward VII. Alexander died at a day old.

Though I don't see the Cambridges using Maud or Helena, I can't say I'd be disappointed if they did. While I really do love both Alice and Amelia, I really love Maud and Helena, too. I think we're far more likely to see Alice or Amelia but who knows.

I was expecting an Arthur, possibly a Michael or a Philip for a boy but I can't say I'd be terribly disappointed in a Frederick. I doubt we'll see a Henry and I really don't think we'll see Alfred or Ernest but again, who knows.

I know a lot of people wish the Cambridges would use more "modern" names but I have to say that I love the fact that they use classic, timeless, "old fashioned" names even if they are somewhat forced to by their positions.

For a boy: Douglas or Albert
For a girl: Maria or Rosalind

These are old names but considering they have to be royal and most of the good ones are taken these are pretty decent choices.

I certainly wouldn't want to see them choose a "modern" name, but it would be refreshing to see a name that hasn't appeared in the RF before, or not held by a prominent member.

I'm sure there's no obligation for there to be a royal precedent. Someone always has to be first! For instance, one of Edward VII's daughters was named Maud. I can't think of an earlier occurrence of this name in the RF, except for its being a version of Matilda and we are looking back a long way there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom