The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:47 AM
Courtier

I don't like the name Albert simply because it sounds clunky. Same for Arthur. I'm more than a little perplexed by so much public opinion leaning towards Arthur. The historical connotation is nice, but the name itself is...homely. I really hope that if it turns up in a modern royal name it is deep in the realm of middle names that only get mentioned once in a blue moon.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I used to have a brother-in-law named Arthur. Of course I referred to hanging around with him too much as having Arthuritis.

I've always loved the name Arthur but detest Artie or plain Art. I don't think the baby will be named Arthur but if it is, then I hope they strees its Arthur and no diminutive.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
I don't like the name Albert simply because it sounds clunky. Same for Arthur. I'm more than a little perplexed by so much public opinion leaning towards Arthur. The historical connotation is nice, but the name itself is...homely. I really hope that if it turns up in a modern royal name it is deep in the realm of middle names that only get mentioned once in a blue moon.
I don’t find Albert or Arthur clunky at all. And both names are quite common in other European languages too.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marytessy View Post

Would Spencer as a middle name be feasible? I'm not sure how much William wants to honor his mother--yes, he's already done so with Charlotte, but maybe he wants it again? At least here in the states, Spencer is a fairly common/accepted name among the younger generation.

Hoping for a Frederick.
Spencer is the name of Pippa's reality tv star brother-in-law.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:27 AM
Courtier

Prince James William Philip
Old 04-25-2018, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by akina21 View Post
Spencer is the name of Pippa's reality tv star brother-in-law.
But it is also the surname of William & Harry's maternal family. It is normal in some cultures to use a family ancestral surname as a first or middle name.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well, according to William it's a strong name, so that's something to consider. I think strong is something on the more short side.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:37 AM
Serene Highness

That makes me think family name, if that is the case then Philip and / or Michael.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

With being a strong name in mind, it immediately brought Philip to mind for me. The DoE has always been seen as a "strength and stay" for the Queen and most likely for the rest of the family also. Can't get much stronger in character than Philip.

Still sticking with Philip for a first name here.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I'm with you!
Anything would be better than Albert! If they use that, I am hoping it will be as a middle name.

As for nicknames, I never liked them.
I see no point in giving a child a name, and then calling him something else.
(Many people don't even realize that Harry's name is actually Henry).
I'm with both of you on this, I have never like the name Albert or Alfred, not taking anything away from current or past Alberts, but being from the US Albert makes me think of the cartoon from childhood called Fat Albert and Alfred makes me think of Bruce Waynes old butler from batman Not fond of Arthur either but of the (3) A names, its the only one that I don't think I would cringe every time it is said

For me the "best" names that I think they will pull from are:
Federick
Philip
David
Christian
Alexander
Victor
Michael

I am also one of those funny people that don't like nicknames, when I had my son I searched for a name that had no nickname associated with it because I too felt if you are going to say right from birth that they are named "This" but you are going to call them "That" (other then Royals)why?, it never made sense to me. But I'm weird, I have always been fascinated by names, so I am hoping for something that doesn't make me go
Old 04-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Well, according to William it's a strong name, so that's something to consider. I think strong is something on the more short side.
I thought that was an interesting comment from William, too. On the other hand, he was unlikely to say "After consideration, Catherine and I chose a wimpy name, don't worry, you'll love it" so I'm not sure how much help his comment was!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 AM
Nobility

I'm sticking with Philip Michael Charles for his great-grandfather and grandfathers.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I thought that was an interesting comment from William, too. On the other hand, he was unlikely to say "After consideration, Catherine and I chose a wimpy name, don't worry, you'll love it" so I'm not sure how much help his comment was!

Maybe he just meant the little boy would need to be strong, to withstand the feedback from the name!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe he just meant the little boy would need to be strong, to withstand the feedback from the name!
Goodness, I hope that isn't the case!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

I for example never understood why somebody is called by the family by the middle name and not first name; for me it's logical that if you choose this concrete name as first name, it's emotionally closer to you than second name, so why don't you call your child by this first name?

It strucked me why late Prince Friso's daughters were not going to be referred to as, respectively Emma and Joanna.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:25 AM
Majesty

Bookies have stop taking wagers on names after William dropped a couple of hints today

Royal baby: Updates as Prince William jokingly hints at 'Alexander' for new son's name while world awaits big reveal
Old 04-25-2018, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
With being a strong name in mind, it immediately brought Philip to mind for me. The DoE has always been seen as a "strength and stay" for the Queen and most likely for the rest of the family also. Can't get much stronger in character than Philip.

Still sticking with Philip for a first name here.
I so hope you're right!! I so want a Prince Phillip of Cambridge.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
As for nicknames, I never liked them.
I see no point in giving a child a name, and then calling him something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
I am also one of those funny people that don't like nicknames, when I had my son I searched for a name that had no nickname associated with it because I too felt if you are going to say right from birth that they are named "This" but you are going to call them "That" (other then Royals) why?, it never made sense to me.
Because it is selfish not to give your child options.

I was to be given a classic name that has a lot of nicknames, short forms and variations, but that argument was made and I ended up with a single syllable name that cannot be varied in any way, and which I dislike. Let's say Elizabeth > Beth as an example. I have always resented being deprived of choice. I wasn't given any middle names either.

And the great thing about an adaptable name is that it is more likely to suit the child. A boy called James might be a Jamie, a Jim, a Jimmy .... you don't know what will best suit his personality as he grows.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Bookies have stop taking wagers on names after William dropped a couple of hints today

Royal baby: Updates as Prince William jokingly hints at 'Alexander' for new son's name while world awaits big reveal
To be honest, I think Alexander is not in the running for the new prince's name. Not at all.

George already has the name Alexander in his name. It would seem awkward for his younger brother to have George's secondary name to me.

Also, when William made the quip about Alexander, I think it was in reference actually to person asking him about the name Alexander. See, the questioner was named Alexander himself and William may have thought it amusing that this person would suggest his own name.

From the article:

"Told by Alexander Downer, the Australian High Commissioner, that he favoured his own Christian name as a frontrunner for the Prince, the Duke replied: “Funny you should say that... It’s a good name.”

Its not an indication towards the new prince's name at all.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:08 AM
Courtier

Albert Phillip Michael

Closed Thread