The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

With James Wessex, James Middleton and James Mathews, I truly hope this little guy gets his own name. Enough James in both families

I was hoping for a baby name as a birthday gift to me Guess I have to wait, hopefully tomorrow.

Quote:
I secretly hope they will surprise us with the choise of his first name. Because James, Philip, Charles, Andrew, Edward already exist among the closest relatives. Why can't the baby have something unique?
Michael wouldn't be totally unique, already one in the royal family

At this point I don't see them breaking a pattern, and giving the baby any more or less then 3 names. Can honor plenty of people with 3 names, especially when the Middletons and Windsors have many names in common.

The queen only has 3 names, her sister only had 2. Of her 8 grandchildren, four of them only have 3 names (York girls, Anne's kids).

Besides the Swedish royals (with exception of Estelle/Alexander) there are still those who do four names. The Danish royal children all have 4 names. The Belgian kids, Dutch kids, Luxembourg grandkids all have 4. Among the Spanish (besides the all saints part) and Norweigan royals, its not tradition to have more then 2 names.Some of the non-reigning houses do more.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:42 PM
Majesty

Lots of families use nicknames. Little Joe, Big Joe, Joey etc to distinguish between family members.

Is anyone really going to confuse James Wessex with Prince James of Cambridge?

My betting is on Arthur because I like the sound of ‘Prince Arthur’. I also like John and Michael.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Lots of families use nicknames. Little Joe, Big Joe, Joey etc to distinguish between family members.

I don't think so. The thing about James is there are so many attractive diminutive possibilities, like Jamey/Jamie, Jim, Jimmy, Jay, and so it goes (not to mention Jimbo)! I think a Prince Jamie would be sweet.

Prince James of Cambridge sounds very regal.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Frederick Arthur George or Christain Lloyd Philip.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-24-2018, 09:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

My betting is on Arthur because I like the sound of ‘Prince Arthur’. I also like John and Michael.
No, I doubt anyone will confuse them. But do we really need another James?? There is such a plethora of names to choose from, royals or not. Do we know if any of the James in the families go by any sort of nickname???

I notice someone mentioned families with multiple Maria or Joseph. Yes that is common in Catholic families, but they are usually double names. In very traditional families, all girls would be Maria. Five daughters, all Maria. They would just go by their second name. I have a family friend who has 3 sisters, 2 are Mary and 2 Maria. But double barrel, and they all go by the second half. They have 2 brothers, both named Joseph X. And like the girls, go by the X.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:04 PM
Commoner

Haha speaking of the Luxembourg grandkids, Noah has even more than 3: Noah Etienne Guillaume Gabriel Matthias Xavier. A boy who isn't even in the line of succession! Sweet boy, though.

Would Spencer as a middle name be feasible? I'm not sure how much William wants to honor his mother--yes, he's already done so with Charlotte, but maybe he wants it again? At least here in the states, Spencer is a fairly common/accepted name among the younger generation.

Hoping for a Frederick.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I’m thinking the name might be announced on Thursday. Tomorrow is Anzac Day and Charles, Harry and Meghan are attending commemorations.

Unfortunately, I don’t like any male names being discussed and was hoping for a girl for this reason. The only male royal names I like are James, Alexander and David and I don’t think they’ll use those. I’m just praying we don’t end up with Prince Albert.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
Unfortunately, I don’t like any male names being discussed and was hoping for a girl for this reason. The only male royal names I like are James, Alexander and David and I don’t think they’ll use those. I’m just praying we don’t end up with Prince Albert.
I'm with you on that or any of the other names similar, like Alfred. We'd be having a Prince Al. No methinks. Doesn't work. But we'll see! Once he's named it's done. It 'works', like George.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by marytessy View Post
Haha speaking of the Luxembourg grandkids, Noah has even more than 3: Noah Etienne Guillaume Gabriel Matthias Xavier. A boy who isn't even in the line of succession! Sweet boy, though.

Would Spencer as a middle name be feasible? I'm not sure how much William wants to honor his mother--yes, he's already done so with Charlotte, but maybe he wants it again? At least here in the states, Spencer is a fairly common/accepted name among the younger generation.

Hoping for a Frederick.
Charlotte is also Kate's sister's middle name .

LaRae
Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

And though people seem to think William and Harry will snub him, it is also the feminine of Charles for her grandfather

George- queen's dad, queen Alexandra, Louis Mountbatten
Charlotte- Charles/Pippa's middle, The queen/Kate and her mom's middle, Diana

I don't see them using Spencer. Why? There are plenty of male relatives to honor instead of honoring Diana again. Hopefully we will see them honor people like Michael, Philip and so on, and not once again a nod to Diana.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it would be nice if they use Francis (Kate's father's middle name and of course Diana's mum, Frances) as a name.

LaRae
Old 04-24-2018, 11:47 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think it would be nice if they use Francis (Kate's father's middle name and of course Diana's mum, Frances) as a name.

LaRae
And Diana's middle name as well. After her mom, of course.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
Wouldn't be bad, as a middle name, though Diana wasn't close to her mother. But I'd rather see Michael. Be nice to see a direct nod to the Middletons, instead of simply a fringe benefit name. Like Charlotte being Pippa's middle name, and Elizabeth being Kate/Carole's, were fringe benefits. Diana has already got in with Charlotte. Great to see straight Michael.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:38 AM
Commoner

I'm guessing: Richard David Michael
Old 04-25-2018, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Besides the Swedish royals (with exception of Estelle/Alexander) there are still those who do four names. The Danish royal children all have 4 names. The Belgian kids, Dutch kids, Luxembourg grandkids all have 4. Among the Spanish (besides the all saints part) and Norweigan royals, its not tradition to have more then 2 names.Some of the non-reigning houses do more.
Actualkly the spanish royal used to have also a string of name Like: Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Sanstod. But there was a change in a law and now only 2 names can be put in Passpords of i remeber right. There the only have only 1 or 2 now.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post

I'm with you!
Anything would be better than Albert! If they use that, I am hoping it will be as a middle name.

As for nicknames, I never liked them.
I see no point in giving a child a name, and then calling him something else.
(Many people don't even realize that Harry's name is actually Henry).
Old 04-25-2018, 07:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

What do you have against the name Albert?
The Prince Consort was a fine, intelligent and respectful man (the same can be said about King George VI).
Old 04-25-2018, 07:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Nothing against either of those EXCELLENT Albert's but there is an item of DEEPLY personal male Jewelry named 'Prince Albert', that [these days] forbids the use of the name Albert for a Prince..
Old 04-25-2018, 07:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Nothing against either of those EXCELLENT Albert's but there is an item of DEEPLY personal male Jewelry named 'Prince Albert', that [these days] forbids the use of the name Albert for a Prince..

Goggle it ...
Old 04-25-2018, 07:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Took me a few minutes before the light bulb came on over my head but it did come on.

I don't think that would stop the Cambridges from using the name Albert though.