The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 04:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I definitely vote for Princess Mary (over Princess Alice). And heaven forfend, not Arthur! Pretty please!
I like Alice and also Alice hasn't been a princess name in royalty in a while.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I definitely vote for Princess Mary (over Princess Alice). And heaven forfend, not Arthur! Pretty please!
I don't like any of the male A names, except for Alexander, and they used that already.

I really hope the baby is a girl!

Old 04-22-2018, 05:49 PM
Serene Highness

I hope they pick a "new" first name that isn't considered a royal name. i.e. Emily/Amelia or Thomas. Crown Prince Frederik named one of the twins Vincent, and stated that although it's not a Danish royal name, he always liked it.

So my guess is Princess Emily Catherine Victoria of Cambridge or Prince Thomas Michael Philip of Cambridge

At this stage, I'm thinking a little Prince will be born
Old 04-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
I hope they pick a "new" first name that isn't considered a royal name. i.e. Emily/Amelia or Thomas. Crown Prince Frederik named one of the twins Vincent, and stated that although it's not a Danish royal name, he always liked it.

So my guess is Princess Emily Catherine Victoria of Cambridge or Prince Thomas Michael Philip of Cambridge

Amelia has been a royal name before, as it was the name of a daughter of George III
Old 04-22-2018, 07:12 PM

So I think Kate is having a boy.
So my top five picks for the name are Albert, Christian, Alexander, Patrick, and Peter.
If they are having a girl, my choices are Victoria, Alexandra, Alice, Rose and Philipia.
What are your picks and opinions?
Old 04-22-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Those are nice choices.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Thomas and Amelia have both been royal names in the UK, Amelia is even a Georgian/Hannoverian name which would be right up Cambridge's alley. Emily isn't, but Emma is the name of the queen consort of 2 kings of the England, mother of 2 and stepmother of 2.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:30 PM
Courtier

Sticking with her having a daughter
Old 04-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Commoner

Emma of Normandy also had two daughters named Gunhilda and Goda/Godgifu, but, just like Emma, they probably would not be used today.

I think Harry and Meghan are the ones who will try different names.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:04 PM
Commoner

We are getting close to the birth date, therefore, reposting my December prediction below.

I believe we can get fairly close in our prediction by studying the naming patterns of members of the current House of Windsor. Whether boy or girl names (generally) follow the below pattern.

Given name = Traditional Hanoverian Name
Middle names = honor a Hanoverian, Saxon or Montbatten ancestor.

This naming pattern is not 100% true to all members but generally works.

We can rule out combinations of George Alexander Louis and Charlotte Diana Elizabeth because they are already being used by William & Kate's current children. Therefore, my predictions are:

Boy ~ Edward Arthur Phillip

Girl ~ Caroline Catherine Victoria
Old 04-22-2018, 09:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Caroline seems too close to Charlotte to me. I could be wrong. But Charlotte seemingly already honors Carole and Charles.

Quote:
Emma of Normandy also had two daughters named Gunhilda and Goda/Godgifu, but, just like Emma, they probably would not be used today.
William and Kate choose royal names, but ones that are also popular/fashionable. That would certainly rule out anything like Gunhilda. But Emma certainly is right along the lines of 'royal but fashionable' names. That said, its not Hanoverian/Georgian enough for them.

Emma was married to a Anglo-Saxon and a Dane, hence the interesting names of her children and stepchildren. She also had a son Harthnacut, but I doubt that would be considered (her other sons Edward and Alfred, and her stepsons Edmund and Harold are slightly more popular but other then Edward, unlikely).

I wonder if they will not only continue the Hannoverian followed by 2 family names. But also the Consonant, Vowel, consonant pattern as well. I hope not, as quite like Alice as a first name but if they do:

Princess Helena Alice Valerie

Prince Frederick Arthur Philip

Prince
Old 04-22-2018, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Okay, people are laying down their 'bets'. This could be fun. State your final calls and then we'll see who gets it right!

I am calling a boy and hoping for a Prince Alexander. However, I am wondering if they will sneak in a Prince Jack (John). Based on William's 'slip'. I'd go with most anything, like Prince Paul, except please no Prince Arthur.

On the chance it's a girl my preference is Princess Alexandra, but I am thinking it will likely be Princess Mary (that would be sweet) or Princess Alice.

Also I called by mid-April. She's overdue, so this week.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Still holding out for David or Phillip....or if a girl, Alice or Mary.

LaRae
Old 04-22-2018, 10:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Alexander is a cute name....but please no. We don't need a George Alexander and a Alexander....

I am kind of hoping for my birthday April 24. Or mom's, April 27 But just happy little one gets a birthday all of own (not the queen's and hopefully wont run into May for Charlotte's).

My dream names:

Princess Alice Valerie Mary

or

Prince Philip Michael Peter

what I have a feeling we will see

Princess Mary Alice Victoria

or

Prince Arthur Philip Michael

Though if does shock us and come tomorrow, William would be a fitting middle name. Not just for dad, but born on the bard's birthday.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:41 PM
Serene Highness

I suspect William and Catherine didn't chose George and Charlotte because they prefer Hanoverian names. George was probably named in honor of the Queen's father and grandfather who just happened to have a Hanoverian name. Ditto for Charlotte, a name they probably selected because they liked it and it was suitably royal.

The Queen gave her oldest two children Stuart names but not the younger two.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Thomas and Amelia have both been royal names in the UK, Amelia is even a Georgian/Hannoverian name which would be right up Cambridge's alley. Emily isn't, but Emma is the name of the queen consort of 2 kings of the England, mother of 2 and stepmother of 2.
Was there an Emily in Princess Diana's Spencer ancestresses?
Old 04-22-2018, 10:59 PM
Commoner

Of course they did, it is both, in honor of his great grandfather King George VI who is also named after his ancestors from the House of Hanover, King Georges I-IV. Same for Charlotte, Queen Consorts of Hanoverian Kings.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Yes, one of her great-great-grandmothers was Louisa Emily Charlotte Bulteel (known as Emily), wife of Edward Baring 1st Baron Revelstoke.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsteepy View Post
Of course they did, it is both, in honor of his great grandfather King George VI who is also named after his ancestors from the House of Hanover, King Georges I-IV. Same for Charlotte, Queen Consorts of Hanoverian Kings.
Yes, but that doesn't mean they chose them solely because they were Hanoverian names. As I stated, the Queen named her oldest two children Charles and Anne, both Stuart names, but not the younger two.

I suspect they chose traditionally royal names either because they like them or because they want to honor a particular royal.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
William has a cousin Emily, Sarah's eldest.

Besides that, a great-great grandmother on her father's side, who supposedly went by her middle name. The woman was Albert Spencer (7th earl's) maternal grandmother. Albert's younger sister Lavina had it as a middle name.

Closed Thread