The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 04:00 AM
Courtier

Yes, Denville, Lilibet is a nickname but I don't always post in full seriousness.
This is a fun guessing game.

Rosamond is one of many names with a meaning associated with horses.
Rosie is quite an apt nickname for an English girl.

Catherine is a fine and suitable name. I agree, Osipi, that it is a real contender.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If the Queen Mother could give her first born daughter her name, there's a slight chance that a new princess could have a name after her mother. Something like Caitlin. Now that would be a royal twist in names.
Catherine Angela Marguerite

Old 04-21-2018, 03:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
There isn't a small pool. They stick to Georgian/Hannoverian names for the first names true. But there are plenty of options left for both male or female.

The middle names there are no rules. They seem to choose family names.

We could go on here and make up combinations of names for days, some have, and likely wouldn't use up all of the options. There certainly is no reason they would need to reuse a royal name.

First names sticking Hannoverian/Victorian on:
-Alfred
-Albert
-David
-Richard
-Arthur
-Frederick
-Alice
-Helena
-Amelia
-Sophia
-Augusta
-Mary
-Margaret

Middle names with family links (to just name a few)
-Henry
-James
-Peter
-Michael
-Frances/is
-Valerie
-Carole
-could go on and on

Even without exhausting the family names, or branching further back into the family for a first name, can come up with dozens of combinations without coming close to needing to repeat any name used before.
Compared to choosing between hundreds or even thousands of options, their options are rather limited if they want to stick to traditional British royal names. You only came up with 6 or 7 first names for each gender - I don't consider that a lot of options. Which is probably why so many people guessed correctly with George and especially Charlotte.

However, as I clearly stated, there is no need to repeat as it is still very easy to pick three new ones even within the restrictions they seem to apply.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If the Queen Mother could give her first born daughter her name, there's a slight chance that a new princess could have a name after her mother. Something like Caitlin. Now that would be a royal twist in names.
I hope not... Catherine as a middle name is fine but giving your child your own first name not so much.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I hope not... Catherine as a middle name is fine but giving your child your own first name not so much.

Men do it often not mothers / daughters
Old 04-21-2018, 06:35 PM
Majesty

Yes it's odd that the Yorks did that, IMO. I always think it sets things up for confusion in the family later on.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:44 PM
Majesty

Queen Mary called her daughter Mary; Q Victoria called her daughter (and others) Victoria and the Yorks called their daughter Elizabeth

so not unusual.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Majesty

Victoria had an obsession about her name (and Albert's) being perpetuated among their descendants, not something you would think would have bothered the Yorks at that point. Mary Harewood (Princess Royal) was baptised Victoria Alexandra Alice Mary, though.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:06 PM
Majesty

But known as Mary. The point is that the royal family don't have a problem with calling family members by the same name.

It's more confusing for royal watchers.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

In Portugal it is common for the son to have the father's name or one of the father's names, my brother has the second name of my father. But it is rare among mothers and daughters. I went to Czech Republic last year, and my friend had her mother's name, I also meet other girls who had the same name as their mothers. At my work, I have a bulgarian female colleage who said to me that she will name her daughter after her. I think it depends on the country, though I think the UK doesn't follow that tradition.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Men do it often not mothers / daughters
Many centuries girls recieved their mother's name and boys recieved their father's name. It was a tradition.

https://www.le.ac.uk/richardiii/science/familytree.html
Old 04-21-2018, 08:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, among royal families, it wasn't uncommon at all to name a daughter for her mother. In modern times it has become more rare even for royals.

George III's daughter Charlotte (queen of Wurtemberg) was named for her mother. (eldest daughter)

Frederick's eldest daughter was Augusta, Duchess of Brunswick for her mother

George II's third daughter was Caroline for her mother. (older 2 sisters were Anne for Queen Anne of GB and Amelia)

George I's daughter had a double barrel name for her mother Sophia Dorothea

Anne's second daughter (1st named for her sister) was Anne Sophia.

James II named his second daughter Anne for her mother Anne Hyde.

Charles I had a daughter Henrietta for her mother.

James VI didn't name any daughter after his wife Anne. So between James VI and Edward VII, every couple named a daughter (often the eldest) for her mother.

Its in modern times, that it is uncommon for royal daughters, and even sons, to share a first name with their parents. It seems now with the long list of middle names they get, the emphasis seems to be to give them a first name that is just their own name.

But I don't see a Princess Catherine if a girl. I think they will continue a modern tendency for the child having its own name.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
But known as Mary. The point is that the royal family don't have a problem with calling family members by the same name.

It's more confusing for royal watchers.
That's true, but I also think it might have gone a little out of fashion (just like marrying cousins) - I don't expect William and Catherine to follow this example.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Majesty

Here was news that a Prince could be called Thomas. I include the link so you can here the announcer announce that by using Thomas, the Cambridges would modernize the monarchy.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Nobility

It was very common for centuries in Britain for children of both sexes to be given the same first names as their parents. It is only relatively recently that the custom has gone out of fashion.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Here was news that a Prince could be called Thomas. I include the link so you can here the announcer announce that by using Thomas, the Cambridges would modernize the monarchy.
Not sure how Thomas would be 'modernizing' the monarchy.

Has a royal history. Son of Edward I, Thomas Brotherton, Earl of Norfolk. Edward III had a son Thomas, Duke of Gloucester. Henry IV had a son Thomas, Duke of Clarence. John of Gaunt had a son named Thomas who was Duke of Exeter. There are also some married into the family.

If they shocked us and went further back into the tree, little Prince Thomas of Cambridge would be the fifth born into the family tree (4th to a king/future king).

Heck even Kate has a few Thomas in her family trees going back.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:29 PM
Aristocracy

I like Thomas.

George, Charlotte & Thomas - nice.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Now that would be interesting : Princess Camilla. Would be a clear signal for people to 'get over' the past. Would be an amazing gesture.

Prince Tom....hmmmm.....I dunno. But why the flurry? Does someone know something and it got leaked? Curious.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Now that would be interesting : Princess Camilla. Would be a clear signal for people to 'get over' the past. Would be an amazing gesture.

Prince Tom....hmmmm.....I dunno. But why the flurry? Does someone know something and it got leaked? Curious.
None, Thomas just happens to be on a long list of names on Labrokes for you to bet on. And it seems to have moved up. Its still far from the top, its 7th. And its on a list with other names that are out there: Oliver (yep see naming the baby for Cromwell). Arthur, James, Albert, Alfred, Frederick and Philip are the top bets for boys. Mary, Alice, Victoria, Alexandra and Diana for a girl are top five.
https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/b...ild/225676834/
Old 04-21-2018, 11:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I definitely vote for Princess Mary (over Princess Alice). And heaven forfend, not Arthur! Pretty please!