The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Both Paul and Christopher are names of Prince Philip's Greek relations - one an uncle and the other a 1st cousin (and King).

King Paul of Greece was ex-King Constantine's father while Prince Christopher was Prince Andrew's brother.

Maybe a way of honouring Philip without using Philip though.
There is a difference between royal names and British royal names. Just because a name is used in foreign royal families, doesn't make it royal in the UK. Like Gustaf is a wonderful name for a future Swedish king, but a British one? Haakon a wonderful name for a king of Norway, but Spain?

I guess if we are going to go that far a branch to honor Philip we can add some great names. Among his uncles and aunts (by marriage or blood) and cousins:

-Gustaf
-Donatus
-Berhold
-Gotfried
-Kraft
-Welf
-Ludwig
-Olga
-Friedrike
-Christina
-Clarissa

I vote for

Prince Kraft Ludwig Fergus of Cambridge

Prince Welf Gottfried Claude of Cambridge

or

Princess Olga Clarissa Violet of Cambridge

Princess Edwina Friedrike Hyacinth of Cambridge

Very royal names

Old 04-09-2018, 02:46 AM
Royal Highness

I see nothing wrong with Olga. It's beautiful royal name. And it's actually British royal name: one of queen Mary's middle names was Olga.

Her full name was Victoria Mary Augusta Louise Olga Pauline Claudine Agnes. All these names can be used for the Cambridge baby.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Of all the names that have been mentioned, these are the ones I like:

Boy- David, Michael, Stephen.

Girl- Isabella, Victoria, Alice.

I don't care for any of the others.

(But of course, I won't be consulted).
Old 04-09-2018, 08:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide
Not necessarily. The title of Princess Royal may be granted by the monarch to his/her eldest daughter, but it's not automatic. It's in the gift of the monarch.

Princess Anne was not granted the title until 1987, although it had been available since the death of the previous holder (Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood) in 1965. It was generally seen as an award in recognition of her charity work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Like Charles was granted POW in his teens and not when his mother ascended the throne, it was simply delayed for Anne. It was never a question of if she would gain the title.
That's not so. As I recall, it came as a surprise to most people. I don't remember much speculation about it beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Its not a popularity contest. If William and Kate have 2 daughters, it wont be a 'who does more charity work' battle. The title is given to the eldest daughter of the monarch (when free to be given). If it isn't given to Charlotte, it will lay dormant. There is no fear that if Charlotte has a little sister, she may not be the future Princess royal.
I didn't suggest that it was a popularity contest or a battle. I already stated that the title if granted goes to the eldest daughter of the monarch. It wouldn't surprise me if the title is left dormant after the death of Princess Anne.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:43 AM
Courtier

It will be another Princess
Old 04-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Majesty

Countessmeout, I took you extremely serious when you mentioned Donald.
Princess Beatrice of the United Kingdom and Prince Henry of Battenberg named their youngest son Maurice Victor Donald.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
I see nothing wrong with Olga. It's beautiful royal name. And it's actually British royal name: one of queen Mary's middle names was Olga.

Her full name was Victoria Mary Augusta Louise Olga Pauline Claudine Agnes. All these names can be used for the Cambridge baby.
I agree; Olga is a nice name and whilst I don't think it's a likely choice for the Cambridges (purely because they seem to like more mainstream royal names), it's not an impossible choice either.

Olga is popular in the Kent family and is amongst Princess Alexandra's middle names, and I do believe that her great-niece Estella Taylor has Olga as one of her middle names too.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-09-2018, 05:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

With the Kent's though it was probably because of their descent from Princess Marina and thus honouring Princess Marina's grandmother - Queen Olga of Greece (she was also Prince Philip's grandmother but he didn't use either of his grandmother's names for his daughter - his mother yes but not his grandmother's). Marina was very close to her Greek family and so using Olga made sense (I know wikipedia says the Olga comes from one of Alexandra's aunts, Olga of Yugoslavia but where did she get the Olga from - from her grandmother Olga, Queen of Greece).
Old 04-09-2018, 06:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
With the Kent's though it was probably because of their descent from Princess Marina and thus honouring Princess Marina's grandmother - Queen Olga of Greece (she was also Prince Philip's grandmother but he didn't use either of his grandmother's names for his daughter - his mother yes but not his grandmother's). Marina was very close to her Greek family and so using Olga made sense (I know wikipedia says the Olga comes from one of Alexandra's aunts, Olga of Yugoslavia but where did she get the Olga from - from her grandmother Olga, Queen of Greece).
Queen Olga had only one forename, Olga.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post

Nor with Edwina.. It was the name of Mountbattens' wife, who was named Edwardina after her godfather King Ed VII
Old 04-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Philip was also only 5 years old when his grandmother died and both of them where in Exile during that time so it couild be that he wan't so close to her as Marina was.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:50 PM
Majesty

Alice for a daughter or Philip for a son
Princess Alice most popular name for Kate Middleton and Williams' baby | Daily Mail Online

For a Princess what do you think of Alicia, the Latinate form of Alice?
Old 04-10-2018, 04:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

I prefer classic "Alice"
Old 04-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Alice seems much more likely. I would reserve Alicia for a Spanish or a non-reigning Italian princess.

Quote:
That's true; I did consider that when posting but just wanted to highlight that Olga is not totally out of the blue for the Cambridges.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-10-2018, 06:22 PM
Courtier

A little Prince Philip would be nice I think.

Let's be honest, the DoE doesn't have so many years left that having two Philips in the family would be much of an impediment and I suspect the instinct to honour him will grow among his grandchildren as he moves into the very final years of his life.

This all comes across as a bit morbid perhaps but isn't intended to be. I suspect the DoE would secretly quite like it too while insisting he's not bothered at all. Evidence suggests there are several softer layers hidden beneath that gruff, no-nonsense exterior.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:36 PM
Nobility

If by some extraordinary coincidence, the child is a girl and is born on 21st April, we may well have a little Princess Elizabeth.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Now that would be awesome wouldn't it? Perhaps not an Elizabeth but maybe an Eliza or a variation of Elizabeth. Hmmmm... maybe Lilabet.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Courtier

It's one of Charlotte's middle names though so I suspect they won't use Elizabeth again, but who knows?
Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

How about just Eliza? (that name got into my head after watching Shape of Water)
Old 04-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Now that would be awesome wouldn't it? Perhaps not an Elizabeth but maybe an Eliza or a variation of Elizabeth. Hmmmm... maybe Lilabet.
They could go with Lillian in that case, in honor of her family nickname Lilibet. While not a royal name in the UK, it wouldn't sound out of place and would avoid repeating the name Elizabeth.

Closed Thread