The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

As mentioned, there is a belief Victoria has been reserved for a future queen. Elizabeth would be a lot of pressure on a little girl as a first name, and Charlotte already has it as a middle name.

Quote:
David is very scottish but way better than Donald or Duncan like mentioned before
Just to set the record straight, as I was the one who brought up Donald, was definitely meant as a joke. With the whole royal wedding invite debate with a certain Donald, in mind.

Quote:
What's wrong with Henrietta? Is it because Queen Henrietta Maria was a catholic and the wife of Charles I?

But is highly unlikely anyway.
Nothing wrong with it, other then I don't like the name. JMO of course. I just meant, I liked your list of names, with the exception of Henrietta.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
As mentioned, there is a belief Victoria has been reserved for a future queen. Elizabeth would be a lot of pressure on a little girl as a first name, and Charlotte already has it as a middle name.

Just to set the record straight, as I was the one who brought up Donald, was definitely meant as a joke. With the whole royal wedding invite debate with a certain Donald, in mind.

Nothing wrong with it, other then I don't like the name. JMO of course. I just meant, I liked your list of names, with the exception of Henrietta.
A believe that Victoria is reserved for future Queens? By whom? Queen Victoria named her daughter after her and she wasn't a future Queen.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
A believe that Victoria is reserved for future Queens? By whom? Queen Victoria named her daughter after her and she wasn't a future Queen.
Just like 'they will never use John as it is cursed', its just been speculation/rumor that has been around for a long time. You will find it here on this thread and the threads for George and Charlotte's names. It was suggested that Andrew and Sarah wished to use it for one of their girls, but it was vetoed, as it was reserved for a daughter of the future king. While this baby, if a girl, is the daughter of a future king, it seems unlikely they would wait for a 2nd daughter to use it. Charlotte is the spair, far more likely the future princess royal would have been given it if they intended to use it.

As none of us are royals, we don't know, pure speculation. Which is what I said, 'it is rumored'.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Just like 'they will never use John as it is cursed', its just been speculation/rumor that has been around for a long time. You will find it here on this thread and the threads for George and Charlotte's names. It was suggested that Andrew and Sarah wished to use it for one of their girls, but it was vetoed, as it was reserved for a daughter of the future king. While this baby, if a girl, is the daughter of a future king, it seems unlikely they would wait for a 2nd daughter to use it. Charlotte is the spair, far more likely the future princess royal would have been given it if they intended to use it.

As none of us are royals, we don't know, pure speculation. Which is what I said, 'it is rumored'.
Thank you. OMG with names being cursed. Just like the title Clarence. Harry was named Henry and we all know Hnery VIII. LOL
Old 04-07-2018, 02:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Thank you. OMG with names being cursed. Just like the title Clarence. Harry was named Henry and we all know Hnery VIII. LOL
Yes but there are seven other Henry's. The only King John, well Magna Carta isn't a great thing to remind royals of. And the only time in modern times been used, George V's son died of epilepsy at 14, and Edward VII's son died a day after birth. But if Charles can be used again, after the whole beheading Charles II legacy, John should stand to be considered again. John of Gaunt, his Uncle he was named for (brother of Edward III), and his grandson (son of Henry IV) all lived to adulthood.

Problem with names is when either -only been used once or twice and ended badly, or it was used recently and ended badly. Why some shy away from David.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Yes but there are seven other Henry's. The only King John, well Magna Carta isn't a great thing to remind royals of. And the only time in modern times been used, George V's son died of epilepsy at 14, and Edward VII's son died a day after birth. But if Charles can be used again, after the whole beheading Charles II legacy, John should stand to be considered again. John of Gaunt, his Uncle he was named for (brother of Edward III), and his grandson (son of Henry IV) all lived to adulthood.

Problem with names is when either -only been used once or twice and ended badly, or it was used recently and ended badly. Why some shy away from David.
Remember lots of names have had bad history attached to it. Move forward.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm looking forward to what name they eventually *will* choose and sort of hope they manage to surprise us and pick one that is not mentioned yet
Although that might be almost impossible seeing how many names have been named

(have a mental image of W&K sitting on the sofa flipping through the babynames book and everytime either sees one they like, the other one saying "nope, that has been guessed on TRF")

Old 04-07-2018, 03:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
There are many Eleanors in Royal Families already (Princess of Asturias, firstborn daughters of Princess Madeleine and Prince Constantijn, youngest daughter of the King of Belgium..)
True but I doubt that would stop them if they liked the name. Williams young cousin is Charlotte Diana and that didnt stop them naming their child Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.

They are so many already, whats one more Princess Eleanor. They could have a yearly get together
Old 04-07-2018, 03:58 AM
Courtier

Eleanor is very popular within the European royals but it is a pretty name. Princess Eleanor. Sounds so beautiful and french!
Old 04-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Good thing about being 'princess royal', no little sister is going to displace her for that. Once Anne dies, Charlotte will be princess royal
Not necessarily. The title of Princess Royal may be granted by the monarch to his/her eldest daughter, but it's not automatic. It's in the gift of the monarch.

Princess Anne was not granted the title until 1987, although it had been available since the death of the previous holder (Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood) in 1965. It was generally seen as an award in recognition of her charity work.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:03 PM
Majesty

I am the individual who suggested to use Donald for a boy's middle name. You may inquire: Where did I get Donald from? Queen Victoria named her youngest son Leopold George Duncan Albert. Duncan was in honor of Scotland. Donald also could be in honor of Scotland.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
Victoria was Princess Alexandrina (and was born to be Queen,), and chose to style herself Queen Victoria. It's been known to happen.
When Princess Alexandrina Victoria of Kent was born, she was exactly in the same position as today's Princess Beatrice was at her birth: fifth in line, after her uncles The Prince Regent (later George IV), The Duke of York, and The Duke of Clarence, and her own father, The Duke of Kent. The Duke of Clarence, later William IV, could have still had children who would have been before her (and his daughter Princess Elizabeth was born in 1820 and died at four months, and Adelaide had two more stillbirths after that), and her own parents still could have had a son before her father's death. George IV even thought about remarrying himself after his estranged wife died, and HE (theoretically anyways) could have still fathered a child. She most definitely was NOT "born to be Queen."
Old 04-08-2018, 04:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
When Princess Alexandrina Victoria of Kent was born, she was exactly in the same position as today's Princess Beatrice was at her birth: fifth in line, after her uncles The Prince Regent (later George IV), The Duke of York, and The Duke of Clarence, and her own father, The Duke of Kent. The Duke of Clarence, later William IV, could have still had children who would have been before her (and his daughter Princess Elizabeth was born in 1820 and died at four months, and Adelaide had two more stillbirths after that), and her own parents still could have had a son before her father's death. George IV even thought about remarrying himself after his estranged wife died, and HE (theoretically anyways) could have still fathered a child. She most definitely was NOT "born to be Queen."
very true though Vic was born as part o the "Race to provide an heir" when Prss Charlotte died. In fact as I recall George didn't want her to have a name that suggested she might be queen such as Georgiana after him...or Elizabeth
Old 04-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Serene Highness

For a discussion of the argument between the Prince Regent and the Duke of Kent over Queen Victoria's names, see Yvonne's Royalty Home Page, then scroll down to the entry for Queen Victoria's baptism (middle of the page):

Yvonne's Royalty Home Page: Royal Christenings
Old 04-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
very true though Vic was born as part o the "Race to provide an heir" when Prss Charlotte died. In fact as I recall George didn't want her to have a name that suggested she might be queen such as Georgiana after him...or Elizabeth
Georgina, Charlotte and Augusta were all considered for Victoria (Elizabeth no). But they were vetoed by George who didn't want his niece to have a royal name, didn't want people to think of her as heir. But on the flip side also refused to let them name her Victoria, as he also didn't want her having a German name. They got around him, and gave her a royal name, by naming her for her godfather Tsar Alexander I.

Quote:
Not necessarily. The title of Princess Royal may be granted by the monarch to his/her eldest daughter, but it's not automatic. It's in the gift of the monarch.

Princess Anne was not granted the title until 1987, although it had been available since the death of the previous holder (Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood) in 1965. It was generally seen as an award in recognition of her charity work.
Like Charles was granted POW in his teens and not when his mother ascended the throne, it was simply delayed for Anne. It was never a question of if she would gain the title.

Its not a popularity contest. If William and Kate have 2 daughters, it wont be a 'who does more charity work' battle. The title is given to the eldest daughter of the monarch (when free to be given). If it isn't given to Charlotte, it will lay dormant. There is no fear that if Charlotte has a little sister, she may not be the future Princess royal.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
I am the individual who suggested to use Donald for a boy's middle name. You may inquire: Where did I get Donald from? Queen Victoria named her youngest son Leopold George Duncan Albert. Duncan was in honor of Scotland. Donald also could be in honor of Scotland.
I highly doubt that they would use Donald; due to a certain American president... I understand where you are coming from with the Scottish associations but the connections with Trump are too risky, especially at this point in time.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Serene Highness

Pranter suggested David which would be a nice nod to both Scotland and Wales.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

The name of the president has nothing to do with what the Cambridges will name their child. Be for real folks, do you really think Donald is in the running, even back when Kate was pregnant before? Not even.

LaRae
Old 04-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Pranter suggested David which would be a nice nod to both Scotland and Wales.
Yes exactly and it goes well with Charlotte and George

LaRae
Old 04-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The name of the president has nothing to do with what the Cambridges will name their child. Be for real folks, do you really think Donald is in the running, even back when Kate was pregnant before? Not even.

LaRae
I was simply mentioning it because CyrilVladisla had talked about it. Otherwise, no, Donald is an unlikely choice. But that's all.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Closed Thread