The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Charles was considered a 'kingly name' by his mother who herself kept her name as queen. William is also the name of a former king as is George. I don't see a reason why any future king would use a different regal name given that their names were picked having their future position in mind.

So yes, in theory they can choose a different name but I think the public would think they are very out of touch with modern times if they would do so (and most likely, they don't feel the need either). Charles has been known as Charles for all his life, I'd say very few people will think back to previous king Charleses, they will mainly think about the current prince of Wales as that is the association people will have with the name 'Charles'.
Again, King George VI was styled Albert, he chose not to be King Albert but King George, but was known privately as Bertie. Victoria was Princess Alexandrina (and was born to be Queen,), and chose to style herself Queen Victoria. It's been known to happen. He may choose to remain Charles in his private life, and become King George VII publicly as a nod to his Grandfather and grandmother. We won't know until the day comes. He could choose to remain Charles. Who knows. Perhaps he might feel restyling himself might distance himself from the name he has made as PoW. A rebirth as it may be. (Doubtful, but an argument I've heard made nonetheless).

Be a good person.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
Charles II apparently had a very prolific love life, that, given the way Charles' marriage to Diana played out, people say could draw nasty comparisons. I don't necessarily agree, but from what I've read, it's the argument.

The name a monarch chooses doesn't need to be a given name, if I understand right. So if, for some reason, Charlotte were to ascend, she could choose Victoria II if she chooses, she's Queen at that point, she can do as she pleases. That being said, I would guess, if she were in that position, and she weren't to choose Queen Charlotte, we'd be looking at a Queen Elizabeth III.
Or Charlotte could even opt to be known as "Queen Diana" as that is one of her names also.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

Let’s move on; the topic of discussion is the Gender & Name for Kate & William’s 3rd Child, not the regnal name of Prince Charles or what Charlotte might reign as if she becomes Queen.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:02 PM
Serene Highness

A few "royal" names are among the top 100 girl's names in the UK: Alice, Amelia, Eleanor, Elizabeth, Isabella, Matilda, and Victoria.

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...-a3639036.html
Old 04-06-2018, 07:18 PM
Commoner

Well, Isabella is just another version of Elizabeth that makes me think of Isabella of France and i don't think a lot of people like her.

Also Constance is beautiful, and was the name of Kate's paternal great-grandmother
Old 04-06-2018, 07:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
A few "royal" names are among the top 100 girl's names in the UK: Alice, Amelia, Eleanor, Elizabeth, Isabella, Matilda, and Victoria.

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...-a3639036.html
I thought Isabella is more identified as a Spanish name?
Old 04-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Serene Highness

Isabella of France, wife of King Edward I
Isabella of England, daughter of King Edward III
Isabella of France, second wife of King Richard II
Old 04-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm betting Alice or Mary.

LaRae
Old 04-06-2018, 07:25 PM
Serene Highness

Oops, the first Isabella was the wife of Edward II not I.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae

Horrible names for a boy.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Isabella of France, wife of King Edward I
Small correction: daughter-in-law of Edward I (viricide, romanticized in the movie "Braveheart")
Old 04-06-2018, 07:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Horrible names for a boy.
Obviously not talking about boys....the BRF hasn't quite gone gender neutral yet!

LaRae
Old 04-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
I think they will go with Alice. Great tribute for Philip. Also it amazes me how I got the name for both of their kids correct. I knew they would chose George and Charlotte. Weird.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

I really do like George and Charlotte (particularly Charlotte), just seems they would go with Alice (I've thought this for awhile) due to the family connection. Mary could be an option too.

I'm still stuck on David or Phillip for a boy.

LaRae
Old 04-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Commoner

David is very scottish but way better than Donald or Duncan like mentioned before
Old 04-06-2018, 07:54 PM
Serene Highness

David is also the patron saint of Wales. I think it would be a very nice choice.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:01 PM
Commoner

David I was the son of Saint Margaret a princess from the House of Wessex
Old 04-06-2018, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

David is very nice name, Philip as well. I like Arthur too and John (pity it's a no-no name for the royal family, my father's first name is João, the portuguese version of John). I really don't like Albert, it's a name for elderly man, but then again, George sounded too, but I got used to it, maybe I'll get used to Albert if it gets picked.

Mary is my favourite name. I also like the suggested Eleanor (in Portugal is Leonor and I've meet one Leonora). I doubt they will choose Victoria and Elizabeth. Alexandra is also a very good name, but George has Alexander, so they might not choose Alexandra. I really don't like Alice, but it's up to the parents to decide.

Can't really wait for this young royal to be born!
Old 04-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Commoner

In Brazil is Leonor too but really uncommon
Old 04-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
David is very nice name, Philip as well. I like Arthur too and John (pity it's a no-no name for the royal family, my father's first name is João, the portuguese version of John). I really don't like Albert, it's a name for elderly man, but then again, George sounded too, but I got used to it, maybe I'll get used to Albert if it gets picked.

Mary is my favourite name. I also like the suggested Eleanor (in Portugal is Leonor and I've meet one Leonora). I doubt they will choose Victoria and Elizabeth. Alexandra is also a very good name, but George has Alexander, so they might not choose Alexandra. I really don't like Alice, but it's up to the parents to decide.

Can't really wait for this young royal to be born!
Why wouldn't they chose Victoria or Elizabeth?

Closed Thread