The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
I can see that. Alice is a pretty name for a girl. What about Victoria or Helena?
Helena would be lovely for a Princess. Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Helena had a daughter named Helena Victoria.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Commoner

I would love to see some old english or even french names brought back, especially for girls like: Eleanor, Emma, Bridget, Cecily/Cecilia, Joan, Blanche, Adela, Henriette/Henrietta, Adelaide, Judith, Sybilla, Philippa...

Arthur, Alfred, Thomas, John...

Old 04-05-2018, 08:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I am hoping for a boy too...Charlotte has such a big personality it will be neat having her as the Princess Royal one day.

LaRae
Good thing about being 'princess royal', no little sister is going to displace her for that. Once Anne dies, Charlotte will be princess royal

Sorry I don't get the- I hope its a boy as it will be so much fun for George. In reality they are five years apart. This baby isn't going to be fun or interesting to George for some time to come. They wont even go to school together much. If they go to Eton, George would finish before his brother even starts.

I don't mind boy or girl, either way is great. They have one of each so happy with either one. I do kind of hope its a boy, as I am hoping/ thinking Zara is having a boy. And unlike George, Zara's boy and this little baby will be good playmates at family events.

Quote:
I would like to see some old english names or even french ones brought back, especially for girls, like:
Eleanor, Bridget, Cecily/Cecilia, Constance, Blanche, Joan, Henriette/Henrietta, Emma, Judith, Sibylla, Adela, Adelaide...
Arthur, Alfred, John, Thomas...
Some great names, well other then Henrietta, but I think we will all be disappointed in our hopes they branch out from their usual Georgian path.

Victoria seems unlikely, especially with the 'reserved for a queen' rumors. I think if they were going to use it as a first name, Charlotte would be Victoria.

Quote:
So? If they like the name a lot what should that matter?
A lot of people don't like reusing a name in the same generation, of close family. James may be William's cousin not the baby's, but he is much closer in age to the baby. Its not the same as say Richard where the current holder is almost 74, and wont be confused with the baby (especially as the public tends to know him by his title).

If its a boy, and born on April 15th, perhaps a middle name James in honor of his Uncle who he would share his birthday with.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 PM
Commoner

What's wrong with Henrietta? Is it because Queen Henrietta Maria was a catholic and the wife of Charles I?

But is highly unlikely anyway.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Serene Highness

If they decide to stick with a Georgian name these are some choices (some unlikely because they are already in use):

PRINCE: Adolphus, Alfred, Augustus, Edward, Ernest, Frederick, Henry, Leopold, Octavius, William

PRINCESS: Adelaide, Amelia, Anne, Augusta, Caroline, Elizabeth, Frederica, Louisa, Mary, Sophia, Victoria

If they prefer a name from Queen Victoria's family (including the Tecks):

PRINCE: Adolphus, Albert, Alexander, Alfred, Arthur, Charles, Christian, Edward, Francis, Frederick, Henry, John, Leopold, Louis, Maurice, Victor

PRINCESS: Alexandra, Alexandrina, Alice, Beatrice, Helen/Helena, Louise, Margaret, Marie/Mary, Maud, Patricia, Victoria
Old 04-06-2018, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOf View Post
I would love to see some old english or even french names brought back, especially for girls like: Eleanor, Emma, Bridget, Cecily/Cecilia, Joan, Blanche, Adela, Henriette/Henrietta, Adelaide, Judith, Sybilla, Philippa...

Arthur, Alfred, Thomas, John...
Me too but I doubt that the Cambridges will do - George and Charlotte are very Hanoverian so I can imagine them choosing a similar sounding name (though I do think that Adelaide could be likely from your list). Princess Eleanor or Princess Adela of Cambridge sound wonderful; however.
I've always liked the Old English/French Adeliza, used by Adeliza of Louvain and Adeliza of Normandy (William the Conqueror's daughter), though sadly I doubt we'll see such an obscure name on an immediate member of the BRF.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Me too but I doubt that the Cambridges will do - George and Charlotte are very Hanoverian so I can imagine them choosing a similar sounding name (though I do think that Adelaide could be likely from your list). Princess Eleanor or Princess Adela of Cambridge sound wonderful; however.
I've always liked the Old English/French Adeliza, used by Adeliza of Louvain and Adeliza of Normandy (William the Conqueror's daughter), though sadly I doubt we'll see such an obscure name on an immediate member of the BRF.
Eleanor is such a pretty name. I do wish they would bring some french names back.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Eleanor is such a pretty name. I do wish they would bring some french names back.
I doubt if they would.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

There are many Eleanors in Royal Families already (Princess of Asturias, firstborn daughters of Princess Madeleine and Prince Constantijn, youngest daughter of the King of Belgium..)
Old 04-06-2018, 05:01 PM
Majesty

strictlcy speaking a few of these are Leonor.. not Eleanor.. it is a variant of Eleanor.. but its not the same.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOf View Post
What's wrong with Henrietta? Is it because Queen Henrietta Maria was a catholic and the wife of Charles I?

But is highly unlikely anyway.
Henrietta would be lovely as a middle name. Or use the French equivalent which is Henriette. When Princess Henrietta Anne married Prince Philippe of France, she became Henriette Anne.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
strictlcy speaking a few of these are Leonor.. not Eleanor.. it is a variant of Eleanor.. but its not the same.
It depends from the language; in my native one it's one name: ELEONORA.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Good thing about being 'princess royal', no little sister is going to displace her for that. Once Anne dies, Charlotte will be princess royal

Sorry I don't get the- I hope its a boy as it will be so much fun for George. In reality they are five years apart. This baby isn't going to be fun or interesting to George for some time to come. They wont even go to school together much. If they go to Eton, George would finish before his brother even starts.

I don't mind boy or girl, either way is great. They have one of each so happy with either one. I do kind of hope its a boy, as I am hoping/ thinking Zara is having a boy. And unlike George, Zara's boy and this little baby will be good playmates at family events.

Some great names, well other then Henrietta, but I think we will all be disappointed in our hopes they branch out from their usual Georgian path.

Victoria seems unlikely, especially with the 'reserved for a queen' rumors. I think if they were going to use it as a first name, Charlotte would be Victoria.

A lot of people don't like reusing a name in the same generation, of close family. James may be William's cousin not the baby's, but he is much closer in age to the baby. Its not the same as say Richard where the current holder is almost 74, and wont be confused with the baby (especially as the public tends to know him by his title).

If its a boy, and born on April 15th, perhaps a middle name James in honor of his Uncle who he would share his birthday with.
The problem I see with that argument (the 'reserved for a Queen' argument), is that monarchs are able to choose their own name once they ascend the throne, and it need not be one of their given names. Charles, it is rumored, will forego King Charles in favor of King George VII. Queen Victoria was actually Alexandrina. King George VI, given name was Albert, George being his fourth name. So if Charlotte were to ascend (or any female), she could choose to be recognized as Queen Victoria II.

So I don't think that argument holds water in the naming game. If Charles does indeed become King George VII, there will be two George's in the main family, so it's not like it's a big deal to the Cambridge's.

Be a good person.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Actually only one is a Leonor - the Princess of Asturias. The others are Princess Leonore of Sweden, Duchess of Gotland; Princess Eléonore of Belgium; and Leonore, Countess of Orange-Nassau. All are variants of Eleanor.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
The problem I see with that argument (the 'reserved for a Queen' argument), is that monarchs are able to choose their own name once they ascend the throne, and it need not be one of their given names. Charles, it is rumored, will forego King Charles in favor of King George VII. Queen Victoria was actually Alexandrina. King George VI, given name was Albert, George being his fourth name. So if Charlotte were to ascend (or any female), she could choose to be recognized as Queen Victoria II.

So I don't think that argument holds water in the naming game. If Charles does indeed become King George VII, there will be two George's in the main family, so it's not like it's a big deal to the Cambridge's.

While would Charles forego his first name he is worldly know under?
If it comes for Charles I, I could understand, but wasn't Charles II a decent king? He tried not to commit his father's faults.

Charlotte couldn't be Queen Victoria II, because she doesn't have Victoria in her names; she could be Queen Elizabeth III.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
While would Charles forego his first name he is worldly know under?
If it comes for Charles I, I could understand, but wasn't Charles II a decent king? He tried not to commit his father's faults.

Charlotte couldn't be Queen Victoria II, because she doesn't have Victoria in her names; she could be Queen Elizabeth III.
Charles II apparently had a very prolific love life, that, given the way Charles' marriage to Diana played out, people say could draw nasty comparisons. I don't necessarily agree, but from what I've read, it's the argument.

The name a monarch chooses doesn't need to be a given name, if I understand right. So if, for some reason, Charlotte were to ascend, she could choose Victoria II if she chooses, she's Queen at that point, she can do as she pleases. That being said, I would guess, if she were in that position, and she weren't to choose Queen Charlotte, we'd be looking at a Queen Elizabeth III.

Be a good person.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

George, Charlotte and Eleanor does have a nice ring to it. They all flow nicely together.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I doubt if they would.
While the name Charlotte entered the British royal family with the German Hanoverians (ignoring the two illegitimate daughters of Charles II), it originated in France.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:46 PM
Majesty

Charles was considered a 'kingly name' by his mother who herself kept her name as queen. William is also the name of a former king as is George. I don't see a reason why any future king would use a different regal name given that their names were picked having their future position in mind.

So yes, in theory they can choose a different name but I think the public would think they are very out of touch with modern times if they would do so (and most likely, they don't feel the need either). Charles has been known as Charles for all his life, I'd say very few people will think back to previous king Charleses, they will mainly think about the current prince of Wales as that is the association people will have with the name 'Charles'.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
There are many Eleanors in Royal Families already (Princess of Asturias, firstborn daughters of Princess Madeleine and Prince Constantijn, youngest daughter of the King of Belgium..)
If they like the name very much it should not matter. At the end of the day its personal preference. Eleanor is a beautiful name but I doubt they will go the French route. So possibly Alice, Mar, Elizabeth or Victoria.

Closed Thread