Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be nice if they use Francis (Kate's father's middle name and of course Diana's mum, Frances) as a name.

LaRae

I think it would be nice if they use Francis (Kate's father's middle name and of course Diana's mum, Frances) as a name.

LaRae

And Diana's middle name as well. After her mom, of course.

LaRae

Wouldn't be bad, as a middle name, though Diana wasn't close to her mother. But I'd rather see Michael. Be nice to see a direct nod to the Middletons, instead of simply a fringe benefit name. Like Charlotte being Pippa's middle name, and Elizabeth being Kate/Carole's, were fringe benefits. Diana has already got in with Charlotte. Great to see straight Michael.

Besides the Swedish royals (with exception of Estelle/Alexander) there are still those who do four names. The Danish royal children all have 4 names. The Belgian kids, Dutch kids, Luxembourg grandkids all have 4. Among the Spanish (besides the all saints part) and Norweigan royals, its not tradition to have more then 2 names.Some of the non-reigning houses do more.

Actualkly the spanish royal used to have also a string of name Like: Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Sanstod. But there was a change in a law and now only 2 names can be put in Passpords of i remeber right. There the only have only 1 or 2 now.

Unfortunately, I don’t like any male names being discussed and was hoping for a girl for this reason. The only male royal names I like are James, Alexander and David and I don’t think they’ll use those. I’m just praying we don’t end up with Prince Albert:lol:.

I'm with you!
Anything would be better than Albert! If they use that, I am hoping it will be as a middle name.

As for nicknames, I never liked them.
I see no point in giving a child a name, and then calling him something else.
(Many people don't even realize that Harry's name is actually Henry).

What do you have against the name Albert?
The Prince Consort was a fine, intelligent and respectful man (the same can be said about King George VI).

Last edited:
Nothing against either of those EXCELLENT Albert's but there is an item of DEEPLY personal male Jewelry named 'Prince Albert', that [these days] forbids the use of the name Albert for a Prince..

Nothing against either of those EXCELLENT Albert's but there is an item of DEEPLY personal male Jewelry named 'Prince Albert', that [these days] forbids the use of the name Albert for a Prince..

Goggle it ...

Took me a few minutes before the light bulb came on over my head but it did come on. :D

I don't think that would stop the Cambridges from using the name Albert though.

I don't like the name Albert simply because it sounds clunky. Same for Arthur. I'm more than a little perplexed by so much public opinion leaning towards Arthur. The historical connotation is nice, but the name itself is...homely. I really hope that if it turns up in a modern royal name it is deep in the realm of middle names that only get mentioned once in a blue moon.

I used to have a brother-in-law named Arthur. Of course I referred to hanging around with him too much as having Arthuritis. :D

I've always loved the name Arthur but detest Artie or plain Art. I don't think the baby will be named Arthur but if it is, then I hope they strees its Arthur and no diminutive.

I don't like the name Albert simply because it sounds clunky. Same for Arthur. I'm more than a little perplexed by so much public opinion leaning towards Arthur. The historical connotation is nice, but the name itself is...homely. I really hope that if it turns up in a modern royal name it is deep in the realm of middle names that only get mentioned once in a blue moon.

I don’t find Albert or Arthur clunky at all. And both names are quite common in other European languages too.

Would Spencer as a middle name be feasible? I'm not sure how much William wants to honor his mother--yes, he's already done so with Charlotte, but maybe he wants it again? At least here in the states, Spencer is a fairly common/accepted name among the younger generation.

Hoping for a Frederick.
Spencer is the name of Pippa's reality tv star brother-in-law.

Spencer is the name of Pippa's reality tv star brother-in-law.

But it is also the surname of William & Harry's maternal family. It is normal in some cultures to use a family ancestral surname as a first or middle name.

Well, according to William it's a strong name, so that's something to consider. I think strong is something on the more short side.

:previous: That makes me think family name, if that is the case then Philip and / or Michael.

With being a strong name in mind, it immediately brought Philip to mind for me. The DoE has always been seen as a "strength and stay" for the Queen and most likely for the rest of the family also. Can't get much stronger in character than Philip.

Still sticking with Philip for a first name here. :D

I'm with you!
Anything would be better than Albert! If they use that, I am hoping it will be as a middle name.

(Many people don't even realize that Harry's name is actually Henry).

I'm with both of you on this, I have never like the name Albert or Alfred, not taking anything away from current or past Alberts, but being from the US Albert makes me think of the cartoon from childhood called Fat Albert and Alfred makes me think of Bruce Waynes old butler from batman ?? Not fond of Arthur either but of the (3) A names, its the only one that I don't think I would cringe every time it is said :lol:

For me the "best" names that I think they will pull from are:
Federick
Philip
David
Christian
Alexander
Victor
Michael

I am also one of those funny people that don't like nicknames, when I had my son I searched for a name that had no nickname associated with it because I too felt if you are going to say right from birth that they are named "This" but you are going to call them "That" (other then Royals)why?, it never made sense to me. But I'm weird, I have always been fascinated by names, so I am hoping for something that doesn't make me go :eek:

Well, according to William it's a strong name, so that's something to consider. I think strong is something on the more short side.

I thought that was an interesting comment from William, too. On the other hand, he was unlikely to say "After consideration, Catherine and I chose a wimpy name, don't worry, you'll love it" so I'm not sure how much help his comment was!

I'm sticking with Philip Michael Charles for his great-grandfather and grandfathers.

I thought that was an interesting comment from William, too. On the other hand, he was unlikely to say "After consideration, Catherine and I chose a wimpy name, don't worry, you'll love it" so I'm not sure how much help his comment was!

Maybe he just meant the little boy would need to be strong, to withstand the feedback from the name! :eek:

Maybe he just meant the little boy would need to be strong, to withstand the feedback from the name! :eek:

Goodness, I hope that isn't the case! ?

I for example never understood why somebody is called by the family by the middle name and not first name; for me it's logical that if you choose this concrete name as first name, it's emotionally closer to you than second name, so why don't you call your child by this first name?

It strucked me why late Prince Friso's daughters were not going to be referred to as, respectively Emma and Joanna.

With being a strong name in mind, it immediately brought Philip to mind for me. The DoE has always been seen as a "strength and stay" for the Queen and most likely for the rest of the family also. Can't get much stronger in character than Philip.

Still sticking with Philip for a first name here. :D
I so hope you're right!! I so want a Prince Phillip of Cambridge.

I am also one of those funny people that don't like nicknames, when I had my son I searched for a name that had no nickname associated with it because I too felt if you are going to say right from birth that they are named "This" but you are going to call them "That" (other then Royals) why?, it never made sense to me.

Because it is selfish not to give your child options.

I was to be given a classic name that has a lot of nicknames, short forms and variations, but that argument was made and I ended up with a single syllable name that cannot be varied in any way, and which I dislike. Let's say Elizabeth > Beth as an example. I have always resented being deprived of choice. I wasn't given any middle names either.

And the great thing about an adaptable name is that it is more likely to suit the child. A boy called James might be a Jamie, a Jim, a Jimmy .... you don't know what will best suit his personality as he grows.

Last edited:
Bookies have stop taking wagers on names after William dropped a couple of hints today

Royal baby: Updates as Prince William jokingly hints at 'Alexander' for new son's name while world awaits big reveal

To be honest, I think Alexander is not in the running for the new prince's name. Not at all.

George already has the name Alexander in his name. It would seem awkward for his younger brother to have George's secondary name to me.

Also, when William made the quip about Alexander, I think it was in reference actually to person asking him about the name Alexander. See, the questioner was named Alexander himself and William may have thought it amusing that this person would suggest his own name.

From the article:

"Told by Alexander Downer, the Australian High Commissioner, that he favoured his own Christian name as a frontrunner for the Prince, the Duke replied: “Funny you should say that... It’s a good name.”

Its not an indication towards the new prince's name at all. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom