Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:22 PM
Courtier

She's carrying a girl

Old 03-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think you have a 50% chance of being right.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Commoner

I think it is a boy. So my guesses are:

David Philip Francis
Patrick Henry Thomas
Arthur John Michael

For a girl my guesses are:

Mary Victoria Alice
Alice Caroline Jane
Sophia Olivia Rose
Old 03-11-2018, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I forgot to thank those of you who answered my question about HM's permission yesterday - so thank you I didn't realise that it was HM who had vetoed Annabel for Beatrice; I'd known they were considering it for her though.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-11-2018, 10:30 PM
Nobility

I don't think there is any evidence that the Queen actually "vetoed" the name. It seems more likely that she flagged up a potentially unfortunate association that the Yorks had overlooked, and they consequently thought better of it.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
And if tragedy struck (and almost did) and he had been heir to the throne, he had middle names he could have chosen to reign by (Edward and Albert).
Granted with the time change this weekend I'm awfully tired on this rainy, dreary Monday but what tragedy almost struck that would have put Andrew on the throne? I'm really not saying that you're wrong, I just for the life of me can't think of what this would have been.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Majesty

Use Victor as a middle name. Prince Christian Victor was the son of Princess Helena, the third daughter of Queen Victoria.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
I don't think there is any evidence that the Queen actually "vetoed" the name. It seems more likely that she flagged up a potentially unfortunate association that the Yorks had overlooked, and they consequently thought better of it.
I don't know of any evidence that they were considering Annabel nor that the queen vetoed it..
Old 03-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

For some reason the name Mathilda popped into my head for no. 3

(can't come up with a boy's name)
Old 03-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Hmmm what about Dorothea? It's kinda old fashioned in that era of George/Charlotte.

LaRae
Old 03-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Alice is a favorite..and David.

LaRae
Old 03-16-2018, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I noticed whilst browsing through several members of the RF's pages on Wikipedia last night that Victoria hasn't been used as a first name at all, or a middle name that much either. I wonder if it's somehow regarded as "too heavy" to wear due to Queen Victoria's legacy. I think Princess Victoria of Cambridge would sound great though; particularly with George and Charlotte. I'm still placing my bets on Alice or Mary for a girl however.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:22 PM
Majesty

Victoria would have been the obvious choice had George been a girl. I think they are keeping it for a future queen, so if George's first born 8s a girl, we might see another Victoria.

It could be used as a middle name for other girls born in the family, just like Eugenie. Quite logically Elizabeth is the preferred middle name for eldest daughters, so Victoria could be used for second daughters.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Hmmm what about Dorothea? It's kinda old fashioned in that era of George/Charlotte.

LaRae
Pranther, Dorothea is an excellent choice. It could be used as a middle name. King George I's wife was Sophia Dorothea. Their only daughter was Princess Sophia Dorothea.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Victoria would have been the obvious choice had George been a girl. I think they are keeping it for a future queen, so if George's first born 8s a girl, we might see another Victoria.

It could be used as a middle name for other girls born in the family, just like Eugenie. Quite logically Elizabeth is the preferred middle name for eldest daughters, so Victoria could be used for second daughters.
I think you could be right in that Victoria is being reserved for a future queen - that would explain why it isn't a popular choice for the rest of the family. Perhaps one of George's children in the future will be a Victoria.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:49 AM
Nobility

Interesting that they didn't "reserve" Elizabeth.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well they used Elizabeth for Charlotte..so...

LaRae
Old 03-17-2018, 09:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Interesting that they didn't "reserve" Elizabeth.
Who else in the family has Elizabeth as her first name?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Who else in the family has Elizabeth as her first name?
Not likely to happen unless the queen were to pass on...
I think the RF gave Victoria a rest for a time because there were literaly about a dozen daugthers and grand-daugthers with the name.. and maybe they got sick of it or thought of it as very old fashioned..
Possibly now though it might b time for a revival and if Kate has another girl, she might be Princess Victoira of Cambridge.
But if Harry has a daughter she'll problaby have Elizabeth as a second name as well....
Old 03-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Serene Highness

Personally I don't think the RF "reserves" names, especially for future monarchs. There's no guarantee the monarch would use the name reserved for them. Albert Edward Prince of Wales thwarted Queen Victoria's wish for a King Albert by becoming Edward VII and Albert Duke of York became George VI.

I'd like to see another Victoria but I agree with HereditaryPrincess - they may regard it as too "heavy."

Closed Thread