The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She would probably nix any name she realy did not like or thought unsuitable, at least for Will's children and Harry's as they are "main line"..
I don't think it is restricted to the main line.
I once read Fergie wanted to name her daughter Annabel, but the Queen thought it was too trendy or something, and suggested Beatrice.

(On the other hand, she didn't object to Zara).

Old 03-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Nobility

The Queen doesn't veto names, but may offer advice. In the case of Annabel, she reminded the Yorks that "Annabel's" is a very famous London night club which was often featured in gossip columns and might have embarrassing associations. So they had second thoughts. I hadn't heard that Beatrice was the Queen's suggestion.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:45 PM
Courtier

The combinations are endless; we'll soon know the child's name and hear that he/she has been born healthy.

Prince George Alexander Louis, Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana and ....

Princess Phoebe Mary Frances
Princess Edwina Sophie Catherine
Princess Claire Victoria Frances

Prince David William Francis
Prince Francis Henry Arthur
Prince Edward Peter Michael
Old 03-05-2018, 04:09 AM
Majesty

I have heard this story about Fergie and Annabel but I'm not sure I believe it. I think that Fergie chose the names Beatrice and Eugenie Helena Victoria because she was trying to emphasise the family connextio to Q Victoria and to show that she knew a lot about RF history.
I think the queen didn't bother about Zara because P Anne's daughter was a commoner, who was not ever going to be doing royal duties, so she didn't mind her having an unusual name
Old 03-05-2018, 06:55 AM
Courtier

I once read (don't know how true it is) that Zara was suggested by her Uncle Charles. The name has nice meanings in various cultures - princess, bright dawn and flower. There is no need for every royal to have all tradiitonal names. The new baby Cambridge's name could be a big surprise like the name of cousin Zara.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
There is no need for every royal to have all tradiitonal names. The new baby Cambridge's name could be a big surprise like the name of cousin Zara.

Yes, but I think a baby in the direct line has to have at least one regnal name, in case s/he succeeds to the throne.
The Queen's father did; even though his first name was Albert, he was crowned with a middle name as George VI.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Yes, but I think a baby in the direct line has to have at least one regnal name, in case s/he succeeds to the throne.
This isn't true. Like any other British citizen, the sovereign may legally use any name s/he likes.

What about Princess Margaret Rose, who for some time was second in line to the throne? Neither of her names had previously been a BRF regnal name.

Quote:
The Queen's father did; even though his first name was Albert, he was crowned with a middle name as George VI.
The reason for this was tied up with the abdication. Bertie chose to use the same regnal name as his father, to give the effect of continuity.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:41 AM
Serene Highness

When George VI was born, Albert was intended to be a regnal name. Edward VII was born Albert Edward but chose the regnal name of Edward VII as opposed to Albert I. His oldest son and heir apparent was Albert Victor, but he died which led to his younger brother George becoming heir. When heir apparent Edward VIII was born, Queen Victoria wanted his first name to be Albert but George and Mary uncharacteristically defied her and named him Edward, although it should be noted that Albert is one of Edward VIII's middle names.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:12 AM
Majesty

That's true. I think the queen would feel that children close ot the throne, SHOULD have a couple of names at least that are "conventional" so that if they did end up on the throne they would be able to choose a name that was sutiable for a king or queen. ANne's daughter was miles away, and in any case had two conventional names of Anne and Elizabeth.
While its true that anyone can call themselves any name they like, it is problaby best if you are in the RF, and you might just be the monarch, to be able to pick a name from the ones you already have...
Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post

The reason for this was tied up with the abdication. Bertie chose to use the same regnal name as his father, to give the effect of continuity.

Eh, I bet he was just pleased to be able to dump the name Albert.
The continuity thing made a good excuse!
Old 03-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

I am sure he had respect for his great-grandpa, whom he resembled in character.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Majesty

Jean could be used for a Princess. Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother had an ancestress Jean, Countess of Strathmore (d. 1778), who was the wife of Thomas, 8th Earl of Strathmore.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:41 PM
Nobility

Queen Jean has a ring to it.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:49 PM
Courtier

I don't believe they will use Jane, or Jean or any variation.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

William's maternal aunt is named Jane (and her husband, Sir Robert Fellowes, was the Queen's secretary).
Old 03-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Eh, I bet he was just pleased to be able to dump the name Albert.
The continuity thing made a good excuse!
He was always known as Bertie to his family - until the day he died.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The Queen doesn't veto names, but may offer advice. In the case of Annabel, she reminded the Yorks that "Annabel's" is a very famous London night club which was often featured in gossip columns and might have embarrassing associations. So they had second thoughts. I hadn't heard that Beatrice was the Queen's suggestion.
Wow, whoever suggested the name Beatrice was spot on, as Beatrice of York shares a resemblance to the earlier namesake who was Queen Victoria's youngest daughter, chiefly their eyes.

As for Cambridge baby #3, the time draws nearer. Kate will likely soon cease her public appearances. She does seem to appear a bit tired lately, but she's also carried this pregnancy so well, looking quite happy and at ease since the early stage ended. Her clothes designs have been quite gorgeous and flattering, especially on the Scandinavian tour.

I have a hard time guessing the gender. Let's say a girl: Margaret Carole Frances.

If perchance a boy: Peter Michael Philip.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

I tend to think she'll go thru the rest of the month at least.

LaRae
Old 03-06-2018, 08:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
This isn't true. Like any other British citizen, the sovereign may legally use any name s/he likes.

What about Princess Margaret Rose, who for some time was second in line to the throne? Neither of her names had previously been a BRF regnal name.

The idea being more a 'royal' name (and a British royal name) then a reignal name. Or all girls close to the throne would have to be Anne, Mary, Elizabeth or Victoria (Jane or Mathilda a little less). And technically there was a Queen Margret of Scotland, known as the maid of Norway, though she died before she ever got to Scotland. Beyond her there are numerous queen consorts. In Scotland the wives of Malcolm III, Alexander III, James III and James IV. In England the wives of Henry VI and Edward I.

Actually they wanted to name her Anne Margaret, so they would have used a reignal name, but it was vetoed by George V.

I don't think we have anything to worry with the Cambridges. They like their boring but popular names. I don't even see them branching into the older pre-Georgian family tree.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
He was always known as Bertie to his family - until the day he died.
Right. Just as King Edward VIII was always known as David by his family, til the day he died.

Closed Thread