The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 09:20 AM
Nobility

If they were superstitious I think they would have avoided Charlotte, but it seems that they aren't troubled by historic tragedies. As it's a Spencer name, I wouldn't have ruled out John if it was currently fashionable, but it's outside the top 100. That would be a refreshing choice.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Majesty

there have been loads of royal Charlotte's and no more than the average bad luck involving them. However JOhn not so much. There's "Bad King John". and there was Q Alexandra's son who died at birth and Q Mary's who was ill and died young. So I hink they DO have a bad feeling about that name.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:48 AM
Serene Highness

Boy
Philip Arthur Michael
Michael Arthur Philip
Michael Philip David
Philip David Michael
Philip Michael Leopold
Michael Philip Leopold

Girl
Helena Victoria Alix
Alix Helena Mary
Victoria Helena Mary
Catherine Helena Mary
Philippa
Amalia / Amelia
Georgina / Georgiana
Old 03-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
there have been loads of royal Charlotte's and no more than the average bad luck involving them. However JOhn not so much. There's "Bad King John". and there was Q Alexandra's son who died at birth and Q Mary's who was ill and died young. So I hink they DO have a bad feeling about that name.
It depends who you mean by "they". This may certainly have been true of the royals who were having children in the 20th century, but I am only referring to the current generation, eg the Cambridges.

Has there been a Princess Charlotte in the BRF since George IV's daughter and heir died in childbirth at 21? I can't think of any.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
It depends who you mean by "they". This may certainly have been true of the royals who were having children in the 20th century, but I am only referring to the current generation, eg the Cambridges.

Has there been a Princess Charlotte in the BRF since George IV's daughter and heir died in childbirth at 21? I can't think of any.
Princess Margaret of Connaught (crown princess of Sweden) had Charlotte among her names (Margaret Victoria Charlotte Augusta Norah)
Old 03-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I'm sorry I think some names honesly do have an ugly sound.. like for example Cuthbert, two short "blunt sounding" syllables. and I don't think anyone has been called by that name in decades.
But logically, it is not the fault of the name "David" that the D of Windsor was a selfish and irresponsible man.. It is a popular name, and has many more positive associations than its being the name of the DOW. It is the name of the Patron saint of wales,
Time has passed now and I think that for a younger son, it would be a nice name, and would reference the years that Will & Kate spent in Wales.
Did I say that there was an issue with you thinking a name was ugly

What I said was like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, names and if they are ugly or not, is the same. You may think Albert is the ugliest name in the world but that doesn't rule it out. Because Kate and William might think it adorable. Whether a name is attractive or not is an opinion.

The history of the name on the other hand is not something that is arguable. Unless I guess you think being a Nazi sympathizer who ditched the throne, is a good thing. I guess you could.

Like you said, there are other associations. Princess Margaret got over the bad association with her Uncle, because of her Other Uncle David. I guess if Kate and William are absolutely obsessed with the patron saint of Wales they may be determined.

The reality is there are many members of the family alive who knew David, and public. Its not 'so much time has passed'. In the main line, I honestly don't see David being used as a first name (perhaps middle) until at least the queen has passed.

Quote:

As a first name- 1. William IV had a daughter named Charlotte Augusta Louisa who died only a few hours after birth. She was born 2 years after George IV's daughter died, when her dad was still duke of Clarence.

We do see it later as a middle name. Princess Augusta of Cambridge (she was named after her godmothers, her five paternal aunts who included Queen Charlotte of Wurttemberg were among them), Princess Maude of Wales/queen of Norway (likely in honor of her maternal great-grandmother Louise Charlotte of Denmark, her mother also had it as a middle name),Margaret of Connaught have had it as middle names.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

As P.Harry has David as one of his names already, i don't think there would be a big problem if they really wanted to use that for the baby?

Came across the name Leopoldine, maybe they will use something very traditional like that (i'm pretty sure they will go with traditional, but that still leaves a whole lot of options )
Old 03-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Princess Margaret of Connaught (crown princess of Sweden) had Charlotte among her names (Margaret Victoria Charlotte Augusta Norah)
I mean as a first name.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
As P.Harry has David as one of his names already, i don't think there would be a big problem if they really wanted to use that for the baby?
Absolutely. I think the BRF are much more relaxed about names than some people give them credit for. I'd also bet that the majority of the public are unaware that the Duke of Windsor was known as David in private. The Queen's own choices were not that predictable. Naming her fourth child Edward might be seen as controversial in that context.

Quote:
Came across the name Leopoldine, maybe they will use something very traditional like that (i'm pretty sure they will go with traditional, but that still leaves a whole lot of options )
It's a bit of a mouthful for a girl, but Leopold isn't a stretch for a boy as Leo is very popular now.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Thought popped into my head that if they had twins and named them "David" and "Victoria" the general public would think they named them after the Beckhams.... can't unthink it now
Old 03-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I mean as a first name.
Ah, okay, P.Victoria (Princess Royal, eldest daughter of Q.Victoria) had a daughter P.Charlotte of Prussia, don't know if that counts?

By the way, i really like the name Charlotte and love that W&K used that for their second child but i didn't guess it up front, so probably all my guesses now will prove to be wrong

I'm sticking with Henrietta for a girl
Old 03-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Courtier

Alice for a girl..

I'm stumped ,although it looks like she's carrying a girl!
Old 03-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Thought popped into my head that if they had twins and named them "David" and "Victoria" the general public would think they named them after the Beckhams.... can't unthink it now
LOL I thought along similar lines.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Ah, okay, P.Victoria (Princess Royal, eldest daughter of Q.Victoria) had a daughter P.Charlotte of Prussia, don't know if that counts?
Strictly speaking, not British RF.
So if there have been no Princess Charlottes in the BRF since those two prematurely deceased Hanoverians, I think that suggests that the name may have since been thought unlucky. And therefore that the Cambridges aren't superstitious about names.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm still placing my bets on Alice (then Baby Cambridge would share their name with me ) or Mary for a girl and Arthur for a boy.

Quote:
Strictly speaking, not British RF.
So if there have been no Princess Charlottes in the BRF since those two prematurely deceased Hanoverians, I think that suggests that the name may have since been thought unlucky. And therefore that the Cambridges aren't superstitious about names.
I agree. The Cambridge perhaps have a more "modern" (not sure if this is the right word to use here) outlook on names for their children. Do names for immediate members of the BRF have to have HM's approval, or can they use whatever names they like? I know that marriages have to have her approval so I've always wondered if it was the same for names.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Do names for immediate members of the BRF have to have HM's approval, or can they use whatever names they like? I know that marriages have to have her approval so I've always wondered if it was the same for names.
The queen has legal custody of her grandchildren, even during their parents' lifetime. So her word is last.
I don't known about great-grandchildren.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Majesty

She would probably nix any name she realy did not like or thought unsuitable, at least for Will's children and Harry's as they are "main line"..
Old 03-04-2018, 03:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think any of those in the higher positions are going to name their children Moonbeam etc....they tend to be more traditional when it comes to naming their children. I don't think the Queen gives them a list of options and says pick one.

LaRae
Old 03-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Majesty

I did not say that she did. however, I am sure that she expects to be told prior to the announcement.. and wuld nix anyting she didn't like............
Old 03-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:

I'm sticking with Henrietta for a girl
Henrietta sounds lovely. There has not been a Princess Henrietta since Princess Henrietta Anne, who was the daughter of King Charles I.

Closed Thread