The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyS View Post
I wondered about Michael as that is Catherine's father's name but maybe not with Prince Michael of Kent but then a whole crop of names would be discounted due to family connections.

I personally liked Alexander or Alexandra when Catherine was pregnant previously but I'm very sure that is out of the running as its one of George's names.

I'm completely in the dark as to what they will choose this time.

I don't think they will choose Alexandra, since Princess Alexandra is a working member of the RF.

But they might use Alexander for a boy, since it is only a middle name for George.

I also like the names Michael, David, and Stephen. They all have royal associations. There are objections to just about any name really.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Majesty

True but there is a Prince Michael so I think that if they use Michael to honour K's father as they certainly Should, it wont be his frist name.. and they wont use Alexandra for a girl, same reason.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Gentry

"Prince Albert" is never going to happen - the phrase has a specific connotation in the UK and would be beyond cruel to the poor child!

I'd like a girl - Elizabeth Rose.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

What does "specific connotation" mean?
Old 03-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
What does "specific connotation" mean?
Google ‘Prince Albert piercing’ and make sure you’re not at work.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet14 View Post
"Prince Albert" is never going to happen - the phrase has a specific connotation in the UK and would be beyond cruel to the poor child!

I'd like a girl - Elizabeth Rose.
I don't like the name Albert, anyway, but Elizabeth Rose IMO not likely to happen. Rose isn't a royal name and Elizabeth is the queen's name...
Old 03-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Gentry

Thank you, Princess Larisa. I wasn't sure how to put it delicately!
Old 03-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I don't like the name Albert, anyway, but Elizabeth Rose IMO not likely to happen. Rose isn't a royal name and Elizabeth is the queen's name...
Princess Margaret was Margaret Rose.

Having lived all my life with Queen Elizabeth as my monarch, I just can't imagine a time without her and I'd love to have a Princess Elizabeth to be there when the inevitable happens, but I agree it's not likely.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:46 PM
Majesty

sorry I ment as a first name - Rose...
I just don't think Eliz is likely. Even if it were W and Kate's first child, and had been a daughter I don't thik they would have gone for an "Eliz III" situation!
Old 03-03-2018, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I don't think Elizabeth will be likely as a first name either and won't be a first name for any member of the BRF whilst HM is still alive, since it hasn't been done yet. Many royal girls have Elizabeth as their middle name though, and I think that will be the closest we'll get regarding the name.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
George though is an old English name, dating back to medieval times and St George and the Dragon. Albert, by contrast, wasn't regarded as English, only became popular because of the Prince Consort and because people in her family didn't want to upset Queen Victoria by not giving Albert as a first name to their sons. More modern British royals have tended to shove Albert in among the middle names.
"Victoria" was nearly unknown in Britain before Princess Alexandrina Victoria became Queen - so much so that there had been informal talks for her to change her name to the more English "Elizabeth" when it became apparent that she would in fact inherit.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Seems like they called her Drina (family) even after she was crowned.

LaRae
Old 03-03-2018, 07:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
They are not going to name any future son David. That name is well and truly dead within the BRF--in the main line, anyway. After what great-uncle David pulled before and during WWII, there is no way they're going to saddle a child with a name that invokes no happy memories with the Windsors. The press would have a freaking field day.
So how come the Queen Mother's 3rd grandson is named David? If the name was regarded the way you suggest there is no way Princess Margaret would hve named her son David (currently the 2nd Earl Snowdon).

They have already past the idea of 'no David' in the BRF, and did so in 1961, as they have one in the family.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
So how come the Queen Mother's 3rd grandson is named David? If the name was regarded the way you suggest there is no way Princess Margaret would hve named her son David (currently the 2nd Earl Snowdon).

They have already past the idea of 'no David' in the BRF, and did so in 1961, as they have one in the family.

Well when I bought this up back a few posts I was told it was because he wasn’t in direct line of the crown. But I find that wrong and would have nothing to do with it. I agree with you.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't think they will choose Alexandra, since Princess Alexandra is a working member of the RF.

But they might use Alexander for a boy, since it is only a middle name for George.

I also like the names Michael, David, and Stephen. They all have royal associations. There are objections to just about any name really.
There is a difference between thinking a name is ugly and there being an actual objection to a name. Just because some posters think Albert or Alfred is ugly, doesn't make it a legitimite objection. Now the name of a man who abdicated and had Nazi leanings, who was alive in the lifetime of many of the royals who are there, is another matter.

Princess Margaret's son was not in the direct line. He was not the son of the monarch, or the heir. While this baby is only the 3rd child of the future king, he is still much closer to the throne, and a Direct heir. The further away from the throne you get, the more freedom you have in choosing names.

If we rule out names already in use what do we have left? David (Viscount Lindley), Philip (DOE will hopefully still be alive), Alexandra, Michael these are all popular picks and are all in use. No one is going to confuse the young daughter of Prince William with the queen's cousin. The chances Alexandra will even be alive when the new baby takes on duties?? Alexandra is 81, the new royal isn't likely to be a working royal until done college at least, Alexandra would be in her hundreds at that point.

We see with George they have no issue using names already in use in the extended family. Nor names which have a bad history further back in history (mad king George, Charles I and Bonnie Prince Charlie).

I could see David possibly as a middle name. That way it would be seen more as a nod to Wales. Edward VIII actually had the name of all of the patron saints of the UK as middle names.

Quote:
Well when I bought this up back a few posts I was told it was because he wasn’t in direct line of the crown. But I find that wrong and would have nothing to do with it. I agree with you.
How is it wrong? Was Margaret the queen at a point I forgot? David was never in the direct line for the throne. Perhaps you disagree with our reasoning, but we aren't wrong to say he isn't in the direct line.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:38 AM
Majesty

I'm sorry I think some names honesly do have an ugly sound.. like for example Cuthbert, two short "blunt sounding" syllables. and I don't think anyone has been called by that name in decades.
But logically, it is not the fault of the name "David" that the D of Windsor was a selfish and irresponsible man.. It is a popular name, and has many more positive associations than its being the name of the DOW. It is the name of the Patron saint of wales,
Time has passed now and I think that for a younger son, it would be a nice name, and would reference the years that Will & Kate spent in Wales.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Seems like they called her Drina (family) even after she was crowned.

LaRae
I dont think so. She was mostly called Victoria, or her mother called her Vicklechen ie "little Vicky".... I think that Drina disappeared when she was a child...
Old 03-04-2018, 06:12 AM
Nobility

The BRF clearly have no problem with any names that are associated with the Duke of Windsor. His first name was Edward and that was the name he used as his regnal name - Edward VIII. David is a bit of a red herring as it was his last name and only used by family and close friends.

I wish people would stop projecting their own sensitivities on to the BRF, who have obviously left all this baggage behind.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I like the name David, but if they are going to choose that, they might as well go with Michael, after Kate's father.

Both names are in use by a member of the extended family.

I'm really starting to hope they have another girl! More choices.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
The BRF clearly have no problem with any names that are associated with the Duke of Windsor. His first name was Edward and that was the name he used as his regnal name - Edward VIII. David is a bit of a red herring as it was his last name and only used by family and close friends.

I wish people would stop projecting their own sensitivities on to the BRF, who have obviously left all this baggage behind.
I don't think that they have "left all this baggage behind". I think there are a few names they are superstitious abut, like John, and they rarely give it to any son, even a younger one. and I think that for a time the name david Was an unwelcome reminder of the DOW. Now, it might be Ok...

Closed Thread