Old 03-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Sorry to any Arthur’s or Alberts out there
I take Diana's view: "No thank you!"

Old 03-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Albert--An attractive, forward thinking, intelligent , loving consort?

Old 03-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Courtier

merge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
A little old man in a cardigan sweater and felt slippers?
A pudgy little boy in glasses surrounded by school bullies?
A nerdy young man in spats and a monocle?

All of the above?
Well, we all have different tastes: to me you outlined very lovable people!! But I do see your point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Albert--An attractive, forward thinking, intelligent , loving consort?
Old 03-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Majesty

Yes he was, the only trouble is that was about 160 years ago. Of course there is Albert of Monaco as an example!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes he was, the only trouble is that was about 160 years ago. Of course there is Albert of Monaco as an example!
If that's the criteria, George and Charlotte are not exactly modern/new names... I think the
Duke and Duchess will choose a timeless name again.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:25 PM
Majesty

George though is an old English name, dating back to medieval times and St George and the Dragon. Albert, by contrast, wasn't regarded as English, only became popular because of the Prince Consort and because people in her family didn't want to upset Queen Victoria by not giving Albert as a first name to their sons. More modern British royals have tended to shove Albert in among the middle names.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:50 PM
Courtier

You're correct, Curryong, I see your point. George VI, however, was still named Albert.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:56 PM
Majesty

Yes, he was born in Queen Victoria's reign on the anniversary of the day in 1861 that the Sainted Albert died. His father the Duke of York was beside himself, and quickly suggested that his son be named after the Prince Consort. The Queen was quite happy about the birthday and said that it might prove a blessing to the little boy!
Old 03-02-2018, 11:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

I quite like David or Phillip.

LaRae
Old 03-03-2018, 01:08 AM
Aristocracy

They are not going to name any future son David. That name is well and truly dead within the BRF--in the main line, anyway. After what great-uncle David pulled before and during WWII, there is no way they're going to saddle a child with a name that invokes no happy memories with the Windsors. The press would have a freaking field day.

I'd be willing to bet good money on Phillip or Alice being names, perhaps even Mary or John (I know there's a thing about that name, too, but as he won't be king, it might be more acceptable for a second son and fifth in line?).
Old 03-03-2018, 01:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
They are not going to name any future son David. That name is well and truly dead within the BRF--in the main line, anyway. After what great-uncle David pulled before and during WWII, there is no way they're going to saddle a child with a name that invokes no happy memories with the Windsors. The press would have a freaking field day.

I'd be willing to bet good money on Phillip or Alice being names, perhaps even Mary or John (I know there's a thing about that name, too, but as he won't be king, it might be more acceptable for a second son and fifth in line?).

Isn’t Margaret’s son David ?? Or I’m I going crazy
Old 03-03-2018, 01:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
He is. When that was pointed out another time (maybe even in this thread) someone "explained" that that was okay because Margaret named him for her mother's brother David who had just died and not her father's brother David.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Princess Margaret's son isn't in the direct line.

Also extenuating circumstances. As discussed, David Bowes-Lyon, the queen mother's only younger brother died less then 2 months before Margaret gave birth. David was found dead by his sister and very pregnant niece at Birkhall. Add to that Tony was Welsh, David likely also a nod to the patron saint.

Not saying David may not be used in the future (Edward was used by the queen despite that Edward has more connotation then David to the public), but it does seem unlikely.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:05 AM
Majesty

Its an old fashioned name and I assocaite it with Prince ALbert myself who was not my favourite royal. ANd it is often abreveiated to Bert.. which is a short ugly sounding name..
I do hope they have the good manners to use Philip's name, as it is time he was honoured in this way..
Old 03-03-2018, 03:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm hoping for Philip myself if its a boy. If its a girl, with the upcoming trip to Israel planned for William, I think it would be nice if they named her Alice and William was able to visit the grave of his great grandmother, Alice, in Israel while he's there.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:14 AM
Majesty

I dio think if its a girl It will be Alice. I nearly put a bet on Alice for Charlotte!! but I chose Charlotte instead.. and I think they SHOULD honour Princess Alice, she's Phil's mother and she was a brave lady.
I don't think they should use Phil for a first name if it is a boy, but Philip should be his second name. Could be Alice Catherine Caroline.. or if a boy Prince X Philip Michael...
but I really have no idea what they will choose for a boy's given name. Arthur seems a possible..a dn I like it... but it is a bit old fashioned.. but please no Albert!
Old 03-03-2018, 05:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Princess Margaret's son isn't in the direct line.

AlsNot saying David may not be used in the future (Edward was used by the queen despite that Edward has more connotation then David to the public), but it does seem unlikely.
I think It has been long enough now and David is a nice name, and the Patron saint of Wales. Will and Kate lived in wales for a time and I think it would be a good choice.. but I agree that they might associate it with the Windsor David.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:08 AM
Courtier

I have no idea what names they'll choose but IMO I think they have a little more leeway as this is the third baby and in the same way that Crown Princess Mary from Denmark chose unexpected names for the twins perhaps Catherine and William will choose something less expected.

I'm not suggesting completely out the park odd but maybe something like Michael or Theodore or Isabelle or Eleanor. I have a feeling Alice may be in the running but I still find it too old fashioned and I don't particularly like Arthur or Albert so don't really envy them choosing a name this time around.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
I don't think they will choose David as a first name, but I disagree with your view that the "name is well and truly dead within the BRF". It is one of Prince Harry's names.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:54 AM
Courtier

I wondered about Michael as that is Catherine's father's name but maybe not with Prince Michael of Kent but then a whole crop of names would be discounted due to family connections. It's a difficult balance to get a classic name that isn't too old-fashioned but once again what one person finds old fashioned someone else may think of as retro cool.

Amongst my friends and acquaintances in the UK names such as George, Archie, Alfie, Harry, Lewis are very popular there is even an Arthur. Not my taste though as they aren't popular in South Africa which leans towards more modern names.

I personally liked Alexander or Alexandra when Catherine was pregnant previously but I'm very sure that is out of the running as its one of George's names.

I'm completely in the dark as to what they will choose this time.

Closed Thread