The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
What do you think of Frances Ruth for a daughter? Ruth would be in honor of Princess Diana's grandmother Ruth, Lady Fermoy.
Lady Fermoy... well, I have a feeling that Diana's sons would not like to honor her.

Frances as a middle name is lovely.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

IIRC Kate's father's middle name is Francis.

LaRae

Old 02-26-2018, 06:54 PM
Courtier

Ruth IS sweet and with good history and association:

Mary Ruth Olive
Frances Ruth Mary

Maybe something more unusual!

Minerva Rose Helen
Mabel Rosemary Ruth
Sophie Margaret Ruth

A boy:

Edward Francis Peter

The name is probably well and truly chosen by now.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Lady Fermoy... well, I have a feeling that Diana's sons would not like to honor her.
Can I know why?
Old 02-26-2018, 07:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Per Diana her grandmother did a real 'hatchet job' on her with the BRF and there was also the situation with her mother's divorce where Ruth (mother of Frances) spoke on behalf of Diana's father during the divorce proceedings.

LaRae
Old 02-26-2018, 08:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
For a Princess' middle name, Joan or Joanna could be used. Joan had been used in the Scottish Royal Family.
It was actually more common on the English side. All three queen consorts of Scotland named Joan, were born English royalty. Alexander II's wife was the daughter of King John. David II's wife Joan was a daughter of Edward II. James I's wife Joan Beauford was the granddaughter of John Gaunt (making her great-granddaughter of Edward III). Henry II, Edward I and Edward III all had daughters named Joan. There was also Joan of Kent, a granddaughter of Edward I. In Scotland, James I had a daughter named Joan.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:42 AM
Courtier

If Ruth is out then Joan could it could be .. Joan is quite unusual for nowadays so I've partnered it with equally surprising names for fun.

Mary Joan Deborah
Margaret Posy Joan

Ernest John Richard
John Graham Philip
Old 02-28-2018, 02:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It was actually more common on the English side. All three queen consorts of Scotland named Joan, were born English royalty. Alexander II's wife was the daughter of King John. David II's wife Joan was a daughter of Edward II. James I's wife Joan Beauford was the granddaughter of John Gaunt (making her great-granddaughter of Edward III). Henry II, Edward I and Edward III all had daughters named Joan. There was also Joan of Kent, a granddaughter of Edward I. In Scotland, James I had a daughter named Joan.
I think that Joan as a name descended in status by tudor times and was replaced with Jane..
Old 02-28-2018, 04:50 PM
Majesty

It would be nice to have Joan reintroduced as a name in the Royal Family. It does not have a lot of syllables. It is not hard to pronounce.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:04 AM
Courtier

Jane is simply sweet:

Jane Mary Cecilie
Jane Edwina Olive
Johanna Mary Rose

So many names and only one baby.. ha ha.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:25 PM
Nobility

Joan, Jane and Joanna are not fashionable enough for the Cambridges' apparent taste in names. It'll be a current Top 20 name if it's a girl, there are several obvious candidates.

They might have to dip a bit deeper for a boy's name. Arthur is at 30. Alfred at 111 but Alfie right up there at 14, just as Frederick is at 76 but Freddie 17. I regard these as the same names but the abbreviations are popular.

They might go for Henry (15) as Prince Harry has never been known by his true name. Leopold is another possibility: although it is way down in the 900s, Leo is at 13 and I could see them liking that in the same way that Charles and Diana went for Harry.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:51 PM
Nobility

I don’t know why but im almost 100% sure they’ll use Philip for a boy (maybe not first).
I’d love Alice for a girl
Old 03-02-2018, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Joan, Jane and Joanna are not fashionable enough for the Cambridges' apparent taste in names. It'll be a current Top 20 name if it's a girl, there are several obvious candidates.
I went searching, and I found this site with the top girls name in the UK with meanings:
https://www.motherandbaby.co.uk/baby...aby-girl-names
From this site's selection, I could see them using: Amelia, Emily, Isabella, Ella, Sophia, Alice, Matilda, Elizabeth, Eleanor.

I'm not good with boys name, though I agree with some people here for Philip, Arthur, Frederik...Besides, I think the baby cambridge 3# will be a boy.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:55 PM
Nobility

For context, here are the standings of those J names for 2016 in England & Wales. These are the latest available statistics as they are released in the autumn for the previous year. So 2017 is not yet available. The source quoted above is mistaken in claiming "the most popular baby girls names for 2018" - we are barely into 2018 yet after all!

16 girls were named Joan (1834th place)
24 girls were named Jane (1370th place)
119 girls were named Joanna (382nd place)
By contrast Joanne is seen as very dated, and was in 1571st place with 20 girls named.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...tatisticsgirls

Boys here https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...statisticsboys
Old 03-02-2018, 08:58 PM
Courtier

I say Alice, Alexandra or Victoria for a girl and Albert for a boy!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
I say Alice, Alexandra or Victoria for a girl and Albert for a boy!
Eww, anything would be better than Albert!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

Slightly better than Arthur !! I would love them to have another boy but not if it’s one of those names !!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Slightly better than Arthur !! I would love them to have another boy but not if it’s one of those names !!

Sorry to any Arthur’s or Alberts out there
Old 03-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

Well, Albert was George VI's first name so it would be a nice nod to HM. May I ask what connotations does the name Albert invoke? It's not a polemical or rhetorical question, it's an honest one!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post

Well, Albert was George VI's first name so it would be a nice nod to HM. May I ask what connotations does the name Albert invoke? It's not a polemical or rhetorical question, it's an honest one!

A little old man in a cardigan sweater and felt slippers?
A pudgy little boy in glasses surrounded by school bullies?
A nerdy young man in spats and a monocle?

All of the above?

Closed Thread