Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: As mentioned, there is a belief Victoria has been reserved for a future queen. Elizabeth would be a lot of pressure on a little girl as a first name, and Charlotte already has it as a middle name.

David is very scottish but way better than Donald or Duncan like mentioned before

Just to set the record straight, as I was the one who brought up Donald, was definitely meant as a joke. With the whole royal wedding invite debate with a certain Donald, in mind.

What's wrong with Henrietta? Is it because Queen Henrietta Maria was a catholic and the wife of Charles I?

But is highly unlikely anyway.

Nothing wrong with it, other then I don't like the name. JMO of course. I just meant, I liked your list of names, with the exception of Henrietta.

Last edited:
:previous: As mentioned, there is a belief Victoria has been reserved for a future queen. Elizabeth would be a lot of pressure on a little girl as a first name, and Charlotte already has it as a middle name.

Just to set the record straight, as I was the one who brought up Donald, was definitely meant as a joke. With the whole royal wedding invite debate with a certain Donald, in mind.

Nothing wrong with it, other then I don't like the name. JMO of course. I just meant, I liked your list of names, with the exception of Henrietta.
A believe that Victoria is reserved for future Queens? By whom? Queen Victoria named her daughter after her and she wasn't a future Queen.

A believe that Victoria is reserved for future Queens? By whom? Queen Victoria named her daughter after her and she wasn't a future Queen.

Just like 'they will never use John as it is cursed', its just been speculation/rumor that has been around for a long time. You will find it here on this thread and the threads for George and Charlotte's names. It was suggested that Andrew and Sarah wished to use it for one of their girls, but it was vetoed, as it was reserved for a daughter of the future king. While this baby, if a girl, is the daughter of a future king, it seems unlikely they would wait for a 2nd daughter to use it. Charlotte is the spair, far more likely the future princess royal would have been given it if they intended to use it.

As none of us are royals, we don't know, pure speculation. Which is what I said, 'it is rumored'.

Just like 'they will never use John as it is cursed', its just been speculation/rumor that has been around for a long time. You will find it here on this thread and the threads for George and Charlotte's names. It was suggested that Andrew and Sarah wished to use it for one of their girls, but it was vetoed, as it was reserved for a daughter of the future king. While this baby, if a girl, is the daughter of a future king, it seems unlikely they would wait for a 2nd daughter to use it. Charlotte is the spair, far more likely the future princess royal would have been given it if they intended to use it.

As none of us are royals, we don't know, pure speculation. Which is what I said, 'it is rumored'.
Thank you. OMG with names being cursed. Just like the title Clarence. Harry was named Henry and we all know Hnery VIII. LOL

Thank you. OMG with names being cursed. Just like the title Clarence. Harry was named Henry and we all know Hnery VIII. LOL

Yes but there are seven other Henry's. The only King John, well Magna Carta isn't a great thing to remind royals of. And the only time in modern times been used, George V's son died of epilepsy at 14, and Edward VII's son died a day after birth. But if Charles can be used again, after the whole beheading Charles II legacy, John should stand to be considered again. John of Gaunt, his Uncle he was named for (brother of Edward III), and his grandson (son of Henry IV) all lived to adulthood.

Problem with names is when either -only been used once or twice and ended badly, or it was used recently and ended badly. Why some shy away from David.

Yes but there are seven other Henry's. The only King John, well Magna Carta isn't a great thing to remind royals of. And the only time in modern times been used, George V's son died of epilepsy at 14, and Edward VII's son died a day after birth. But if Charles can be used again, after the whole beheading Charles II legacy, John should stand to be considered again. John of Gaunt, his Uncle he was named for (brother of Edward III), and his grandson (son of Henry IV) all lived to adulthood.

Problem with names is when either -only been used once or twice and ended badly, or it was used recently and ended badly. Why some shy away from David.
Remember lots of names have had bad history attached to it. Move forward.

I'm looking forward to what name they eventually *will* choose and sort of hope they manage to surprise us and pick one that is not mentioned yet ?
Although that might be almost impossible seeing how many names have been named ;)

(have a mental image of W&K sitting on the sofa flipping through the babynames book and everytime either sees one they like, the other one saying "nope, that has been guessed on TRF")

:lol:

Last edited:
There are many Eleanors in Royal Families already (Princess of Asturias, firstborn daughters of Princess Madeleine and Prince Constantijn, youngest daughter of the King of Belgium..)

True but I doubt that would stop them if they liked the name. Williams young cousin is Charlotte Diana and that didnt stop them naming their child Charlotte Elizabeth Diana. ???

They are so many already, whats one more Princess Eleanor. They could have a yearly get together ?

Last edited:
Eleanor is very popular within the European royals but it is a pretty name. Princess Eleanor. Sounds so beautiful and french!

Good thing about being 'princess royal', no little sister is going to displace her for that. Once Anne dies, Charlotte will be princess royal :flowers:

Not necessarily. The title of Princess Royal may be granted by the monarch to his/her eldest daughter, but it's not automatic. It's in the gift of the monarch.

Princess Anne was not granted the title until 1987, although it had been available since the death of the previous holder (Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood) in 1965. It was generally seen as an award in recognition of her charity work.

I am the individual who suggested to use Donald for a boy's middle name. You may inquire: Where did I get Donald from? Queen Victoria named her youngest son Leopold George Duncan Albert. Duncan was in honor of Scotland. Donald also could be in honor of Scotland.

Victoria was Princess Alexandrina (and was born to be Queen,), and chose to style herself Queen Victoria. It's been known to happen.
When Princess Alexandrina Victoria of Kent was born, she was exactly in the same position as today's Princess Beatrice was at her birth: fifth in line, after her uncles The Prince Regent (later George IV), The Duke of York, and The Duke of Clarence, and her own father, The Duke of Kent. The Duke of Clarence, later William IV, could have still had children who would have been before her (and his daughter Princess Elizabeth was born in 1820 and died at four months, and Adelaide had two more stillbirths after that), and her own parents still could have had a son before her father's death. George IV even thought about remarrying himself after his estranged wife died, and HE (theoretically anyways) could have still fathered a child. She most definitely was NOT "born to be Queen." :flowers:

When Princess Alexandrina Victoria of Kent was born, she was exactly in the same position as today's Princess Beatrice was at her birth: fifth in line, after her uncles The Prince Regent (later George IV), The Duke of York, and The Duke of Clarence, and her own father, The Duke of Kent. The Duke of Clarence, later William IV, could have still had children who would have been before her (and his daughter Princess Elizabeth was born in 1820 and died at four months, and Adelaide had two more stillbirths after that), and her own parents still could have had a son before her father's death. George IV even thought about remarrying himself after his estranged wife died, and HE (theoretically anyways) could have still fathered a child. She most definitely was NOT "born to be Queen." :flowers:

very true though Vic was born as part o the "Race to provide an heir" when Prss Charlotte died. In fact as I recall George didn't want her to have a name that suggested she might be queen such as Georgiana after him...or Elizabeth

very true though Vic was born as part o the "Race to provide an heir" when Prss Charlotte died. In fact as I recall George didn't want her to have a name that suggested she might be queen such as Georgiana after him...or Elizabeth

Georgina, Charlotte and Augusta were all considered for Victoria (Elizabeth no). But they were vetoed by George who didn't want his niece to have a royal name, didn't want people to think of her as heir. But on the flip side also refused to let them name her Victoria, as he also didn't want her having a German name. They got around him, and gave her a royal name, by naming her for her godfather Tsar Alexander I.

Not necessarily. The title of Princess Royal may be granted by the monarch to his/her eldest daughter, but it's not automatic. It's in the gift of the monarch.

Princess Anne was not granted the title until 1987, although it had been available since the death of the previous holder (Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood) in 1965. It was generally seen as an award in recognition of her charity work.

Like Charles was granted POW in his teens and not when his mother ascended the throne, it was simply delayed for Anne. It was never a question of if she would gain the title.

Its not a popularity contest. If William and Kate have 2 daughters, it wont be a 'who does more charity work' battle. The title is given to the eldest daughter of the monarch (when free to be given). If it isn't given to Charlotte, it will lay dormant. There is no fear that if Charlotte has a little sister, she may not be the future Princess royal.

I am the individual who suggested to use Donald for a boy's middle name. You may inquire: Where did I get Donald from? Queen Victoria named her youngest son Leopold George Duncan Albert. Duncan was in honor of Scotland. Donald also could be in honor of Scotland.

I highly doubt that they would use Donald; due to a certain American president... :whistling: I understand where you are coming from with the Scottish associations but the connections with Trump are too risky, especially at this point in time.

Pranter suggested David which would be a nice nod to both Scotland and Wales.

The name of the president has nothing to do with what the Cambridges will name their child. Be for real folks, do you really think Donald is in the running, even back when Kate was pregnant before? Not even.

LaRae

Pranter suggested David which would be a nice nod to both Scotland and Wales.

Yes exactly and it goes well with Charlotte and George :flowers:

LaRae

The name of the president has nothing to do with what the Cambridges will name their child. Be for real folks, do you really think Donald is in the running, even back when Kate was pregnant before? Not even.

LaRae

I was simply mentioning it because CyrilVladisla had talked about it. Otherwise, no, Donald is an unlikely choice. But that's all.

True but I doubt that would stop them if they liked the name. Williams young cousin is Charlotte Diana and that didnt stop them naming their child Charlotte Elizabeth Diana. ???

They are so many already, whats one more Princess Eleanor. They could have a yearly get together ?

Actually Eleanor would fit perfect with their theme of taking names from
William's maternal cousins.

George (Sarah Mccorquodale's son), Charlotte (Earl Spencer's daughter), and Eleanor (Jane Fellowes's daughter).

There’s only so many names out there. No matter the name they choose they’ll always be a friend or cousin or aunt/uncle with the same name.

I agree with people who say if they like a name they’ll use it even if someone else in the family already has it.

For a Prince use Richard Peter as middle names. Michael Middleton's father is Peter. Peter's father is Richard.

Actually Eleanor would fit perfect with their theme of taking names from
William's maternal cousins.

George (Sarah Mccorquodale's son), Charlotte (Earl Spencer's daughter), and Eleanor (Jane Fellowes's daughter).

From family names there are also: Emily, Celia, La(u)ra, Alexander, Ktty, Eliza, Amelia, Louis and Edmund.

I'm odd. When I think of the name Donald, I think Duck. Especially watching NCIS with David McCallum as Donald Mallard AKA Ducky. :lol:

Perhaps the Cambridges will go with a name with no real royal association but just because they like the name such as Paul or Matthew or Christopher for a boy and Barbara or Sheila or Amanda for a girl.

Won't be long now until we do find out. :D

From family names there are also: Emily, Celia, La(u)ra, Alexander, Kitty, Eliza, Amelia, Louis and Edmund.

Or Jane, Ruth, Rose, Caroline, Cynthia, Charles, Edward, Maurice, Frederick....Other names of William's maternal cousins.

Alexander and Louis are George's other names, possible but less likely I'd think.

Last edited:
Charlotte is a female equivalent of the name Charles, so I doubt they will use Charles.

Ditto for Caroline. I like it but it's too similar to Charlotte - both are female equivalents of Charles.

I'm odd. When I think of the name Donald, I think Duck. Especially watching NCIS with David McCallum as Donald Mallard AKA Ducky.

I love Ducky :lol: I admit Donald Duck is the first thing that comes to mind still for me too :flowers:

When I brought up Donald (I mentioned it as a name of a few ancient kings of Scotland) was meant purely as a joke. Didn't think anyone like Cyril would take me seriously, and suggest it as a middle name.

I agree, names like Charles/Louis/Alexander are out for me due to being used for George, and being the masculine of Charlotte (Alexandra is likely out for the same reason but has a slight chance). Caroline probably out as well.

I don't see them branching out from royal names for the first name. No Mathew or Christopher or something non-royal. Still hoping for an absolute nod to the Middletons, not like Elizabeth. Like Peter for her grandfather (yes also Peter Philips but still).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom