Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

I do like Cecily

LaRae

Old 12-29-2017, 04:42 PM
Majesty

Far too many sibilants whne it has to go with Princess.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think it really goes all that nicely with George and Charlotte, which are more straightforward names.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:22 PM
Courtier

I'm hoping that if it's a girl she'll be named Adelaide.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't think it really matters if its popular or not. One thing that will happen though if the Cambridges name a daughter Cecilia (or any form of the name), it will soar to the top of popular names right quick.
Based on their previous choices, it does seem it matters. George and Charlotte were both popular/trendy names even if classic, before they chose them. They were pretty standard upper class names as well. George has seen some raise in popularity (number 5) since Prince George, Charlotte not really (only 17th). Cecily doesn't fit that mold of the other two names.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:35 AM
Majesty

I think if it was given to a young royal, it will become more popular.. Harry's name became popular because of its being given to him.. I'm pretty sure ti wasn't popular before, I would have said it had faded out after the Victorian age. But he made it popular.
But Cecilia has too many "ss" sounds, with Princess. Adelaide again I think of it as old fashioned but if they chose it, it might come back into fashion.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm leaning more towards Mary now, even though I opted it out because of CP Mary. George, Charlotte, Mary. It has a nice ring.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:16 AM
Majesty

It would be a nice name, plenty of royal associations. But it is a bit "plain". They could go for something like Maria, or Mariana.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

George and Charlotte are pretty plain names aswell though. Nothing unique about them, as lovely as the names are.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I think George and Charlotte's sibling will get a classical name, too. As Empress Merel said; George and Charlotte aren't exactly unusual or exotic names themselves (as charming as they are) so I can imagine that Baby No. 3 will have a similar style name. Mary (whilst not popular, it's a classical name for the BRF), Alice (which is also my own name ) or Arthur are my bets.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-30-2017, 02:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It would be a nice name, plenty of royal associations. But it is a bit "plain". They could go for something like Maria, or Mariana.
How about the compound name of Maryanne?
Old 12-31-2017, 12:49 AM
Nobility

A while back it was mentioned that Maryanne/Marianne etc. was a bit close to Camilla's names. I like Alice, Cecilia, Helena but have never been right so far and I seem to suggest them, and Maryanne variations, for every royal birth. I think they'll have a Josephine/Estelle moment and chose something that sounds quite royal. For some reason I think it's a girl.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
A while back it was mentioned that Maryanne/Marianne etc. was a bit close to Camilla's names. I like Alice, Cecilia, Helena but have never been right so far and I seem to suggest them, and Maryanne variations, for every royal birth. I think they'll have a Josephine/Estelle moment and chose something that sounds quite royal. For some reason I think it's a girl.
I don't recall Maryanne every being suggested

It was Rosemary that was vetoed as it is Camilla's middle name.

Josephine/Estelle moment? This statement confuses me. Both names were criticized for NOT sounding royal. Well Josephine is but not really for the Danes.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:40 AM
Majesty

Certainly not "Maryanne" but Marianne or Mariana would be IMO quite acceptable. I don't know what is meant by Camilla's name. Her names are Camilla Rosemary.
Agree, as I recall, Estelle was criticised for "not being royal enough." I don't know abot Josephine but it is not unknown in many royal families because THe Empress Josephine's son, Eugene, had several daughters who married into many of European Royal families...
Old 12-31-2017, 04:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It was Rosemary that was vetoed as it is Camilla's middle name.
I hope they'll choose Rosemary now but i still think it'll be a name that already occured in the RF like Victoria or Mary or Alice if it's a girl
Old 12-31-2017, 04:56 AM
Majesty

I doubt it. Its never been used and problably does not sound "royal" enough, plus it is Camilla's middle name.
Alice is very high on the list of possibles. Amelia, maybe but there is Lady Amelia Windsor...
Old 12-31-2017, 10:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Rosamund isn't a bad name if you want to incorporate something that sounds like Rose. Maybe Caroline too, as a nod to Kate's mother but then you also have your kid share a name with two rather prominent members of the Monegasque Princely Family.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Rosamund isn't a bad name if you want to incorporate something that sounds like Rose. Maybe Caroline too, as a nod to Kate's mother but then you also have your kid share a name with two rather prominent members of the Monegasque Princely Family.
Two Other then the princess of Hannover, what other prominent member of the Grimmauldis is named Caroline???

If they cared about their children sharing a name with another royal house, they would have to look far and wide for names that they could use. But considering Charlotte is a nod both to Carole and Charles, don't see another need to honor Carole a second time.

Why not simply Rose???

Quote:
Certainly not "Maryanne" but Marianne or Mariana would be IMO quite acceptable. I don't know what is meant by Camilla's name. Her names are Camilla Rosemary.
Agree, as I recall, Estelle was criticised for "not being royal enough." I don't know abot Josephine but it is not unknown in many royal families because THe Empress Josephine's son, Eugene, had several daughters who married into many of European Royal families...
The issue with Josephine seems more that what is a royal name to one family, isn't royal to others. Constantine may be a royal name for Greece, but would sound quite odd as a prince of the UK for instance. In Belgium and Luxembourg Josephine would not cause a stir (as an honor to Josephine-Charlotte, wife of Jean, sister of Albert II). The Belgians, like other royal families, are descended from Empress Josephine, and have used the name in the past. Technically the houses of Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Greece are also descended from Empress Josephine (through her granddaughter Josephine, the wife of Oscar I of Sweden).
Old 12-31-2017, 12:05 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Two Other then the princess of Hannover, what other prominent member of the Grimmauldis is named Caroline???
Not sure if I got Empress Merel's thought as she intended, but I took it to mean that the Cambridges already had a Charlotte (also the name of Caroline's daughter), and that if they then went on and named another daughter Caroline, their daughters would share the names of two major Grimauldi women (even if Charlotte is technically a Casiraghi).

Shame, as I love the name Caroline, but I do agree that if they really wanted to name a daughter Caroline they wouldn't let what I just said stop them :)
Old 12-31-2017, 02:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Exactly Marytessy. I thought I made myself pretty clear when I said two members of the Monegasque Princely Family.

Closed Thread