Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: I think you have a 50% chance of being right. ?

I think it is a boy. So my guesses are:

David Philip Francis
Patrick Henry Thomas
Arthur John Michael

For a girl my guesses are:

Mary Victoria Alice
Alice Caroline Jane
Sophia Olivia Rose

I forgot to thank those of you who answered my question about HM's permission yesterday - so thank you ? I didn't realise that it was HM who had vetoed Annabel for Beatrice; I'd known they were considering it for her though.

I don't think there is any evidence that the Queen actually "vetoed" the name. It seems more likely that she flagged up a potentially unfortunate association that the Yorks had overlooked, and they consequently thought better of it.

And if tragedy struck (and almost did) and he had been heir to the throne, he had middle names he could have chosen to reign by (Edward and Albert).

Granted with the time change this weekend I'm awfully tired on this rainy, dreary Monday but what tragedy almost struck that would have put Andrew on the throne? I'm really not saying that you're wrong, I just for the life of me can't think of what this would have been.

Use Victor as a middle name. Prince Christian Victor was the son of Princess Helena, the third daughter of Queen Victoria.

I don't think there is any evidence that the Queen actually "vetoed" the name. It seems more likely that she flagged up a potentially unfortunate association that the Yorks had overlooked, and they consequently thought better of it.

I don't know of any evidence that they were considering Annabel nor that the queen vetoed it..

For some reason the name Mathilda popped into my head for no. 3

(can't come up with a boy's name)

Hmmm what about Dorothea? It's kinda old fashioned in that era of George/Charlotte.

LaRae

Alice is a favorite..and David.

LaRae

I noticed whilst browsing through several members of the RF's pages on Wikipedia last night that Victoria hasn't been used as a first name at all, or a middle name that much either. I wonder if it's somehow regarded as "too heavy" to wear due to Queen Victoria's legacy. I think Princess Victoria of Cambridge would sound great though; particularly with George and Charlotte. I'm still placing my bets on Alice or Mary for a girl however.

Victoria would have been the obvious choice had George been a girl. I think they are keeping it for a future queen, so if George's first born 8s a girl, we might see another Victoria.

It could be used as a middle name for other girls born in the family, just like Eugenie. Quite logically Elizabeth is the preferred middle name for eldest daughters, so Victoria could be used for second daughters.

Hmmm what about Dorothea? It's kinda old fashioned in that era of George/Charlotte.

LaRae

Pranther, Dorothea is an excellent choice. It could be used as a middle name. King George I's wife was Sophia Dorothea. Their only daughter was Princess Sophia Dorothea.

Victoria would have been the obvious choice had George been a girl. I think they are keeping it for a future queen, so if George's first born 8s a girl, we might see another Victoria.

It could be used as a middle name for other girls born in the family, just like Eugenie. Quite logically Elizabeth is the preferred middle name for eldest daughters, so Victoria could be used for second daughters.

I think you could be right in that Victoria is being reserved for a future queen - that would explain why it isn't a popular choice for the rest of the family. Perhaps one of George's children in the future will be a Victoria.

Well they used Elizabeth for Charlotte..so...

LaRae

Who else in the family has Elizabeth as her first name?

Not likely to happen unless the queen were to pass on...
I think the RF gave Victoria a rest for a time because there were literaly about a dozen daugthers and grand-daugthers with the name.. and maybe they got sick of it or thought of it as very old fashioned..
Possibly now though it might b time for a revival and if Kate has another girl, she might be Princess Victoira of Cambridge.
But if Harry has a daughter she'll problaby have Elizabeth as a second name as well....

Personally I don't think the RF "reserves" names, especially for future monarchs. There's no guarantee the monarch would use the name reserved for them. Albert Edward Prince of Wales thwarted Queen Victoria's wish for a King Albert by becoming Edward VII and Albert Duke of York became George VI.

I'd like to see another Victoria but I agree with HereditaryPrincess - they may regard it as too "heavy."

I think that nowadays generally it is unlikely that a future monarch will choose to use a different name, athough that was common enough years ago. So if there is a name like Victoria or Elizabeth which IS particularly associated with a queen, then its possilbe that the RF may feel it should go to a princess who will be queen...
If Charlotte had been the eldest child of W and kate, and they had been considering Victoria, it mgit have been felt that it was a very suitable name for a queen, Victoria II, and so they might not want Harry to use it if HE had had a daughter round the same time...

Personally I don't think the RF "reserves" names, especially for future monarchs. There's no guarantee the monarch would use the name reserved for them. Albert Edward Prince of Wales thwarted Queen Victoria's wish for a King Albert by becoming Edward VII and Albert Duke of York became George VI.

I'd like to see another Victoria but I agree with HereditaryPrincess - they may regard it as too "heavy."

I think that nowadays generally it is unlikely that a future monarch will choose to use a different name, athough that was common enough years ago. So if there is a name like Victoria or Elizabeth which IS particularly associated with a queen, then its possilbe that the RF may feel it should go to a princess who will be queen...
If Charlotte had been the eldest child of W and kate, and they had been considering Victoria, it mgit have been felt that it was a very suitable name for a queen, Victoria II, and so they might not want Harry to use it if HE had had a daughter round the same time...

This is a misconception; it was never common for British monarchs to use a name other than their first given name as the name they reigned under - in all of British history, only four monarchs (Robert III of Scotland, Queen Victoria, Edward VII, and George VI) have done so; Robert because his given name was John and he wanted to disassociate himself with John Balliol, Victoria and Edward because they both had double barreled names and chose to use their second name instead, and George VI because he wished to maintain a link with his father.

In my earlier post I was referring to the situation when the present Queen was born.

Her father was not the heir to the throne and there was every reason to expect that Prince Edward, the heir, would marry and have children who would be in the direct line of succession.

So as I said, the name Elizabeth was not "reserved" for the direct line.

Last edited:
In my earlier post I was referring to the situation when the present Queen was born.

Her father was not the heir to the throne and there was every reason to expect that Prince Edward, the heir, would marry and have children who would be in the direct line of succession.

So as I said, the name Elizabeth was not "reserved" for the direct line.
TRue she wasn't in the direct line but I think she was called Elizabeth after her mother.. and of course Alexandra and Mary after the previous queens.
I honestly feel that even in 1926, there was a bit of doubt among the RF that Edward/David was going to make a suitable marriage.. and produce heirs.

Personally I'd like to see the BRF expand the pool of names for future monarchs to include the names of family members who weren't monarchs themselves, especially for daughters. A Queen (Regnant) Caroline or Catherine or Diana, for example, instead of limiting themselves to Mary, Elizabeth, Anne, or Victoria.

But I doubt they'll ask for my opinion. ?

well unlikey there will be a queen regnant for a long time.. not unless George's first child is a daughter.. and as he's only 4.....

Not likely to happen unless the queen were to pass on...
I think the RF gave Victoria a rest for a time because there were literaly about a dozen daugthers and grand-daugthers with the name.. and maybe they got sick of it or thought of it as very old fashioned..
Possibly now though it might b time for a revival and if Kate has another girl, she might be Princess Victoira of Cambridge.
But if Harry has a daughter she'll problaby have Elizabeth as a second name as well....

Indeed but Frideswide implied that Elizabeth was not 'reserved' unlike Victoria (in my opinion both Victoria and Elizabeth are the most likely options if George would have a daughter as his first child; and less likely options for other family members). However, with the additional explanation I understand.

Indeed at that time Elizabeth wasn't picked because she was going to be be queen (however, she was the first in line in her generation, just like Amalia currently is in Luxembourg - so has a more regal name than her younger brother) - so I assume they did consider it. However, now she has been queen for such a long period of time, I'd say that both Victoria and Elizabeth are now considered queen names.

Last edited:
I think Victoria can be used if Catherine has a girl. It’s going to be a long time before any of George’s children are on the throne.

George can easily have a sister Victoria and still use the name for his children.

well unlikey there will be a queen regnant for a long time.. not unless George's first child is a daughter.. and as he's only 4.....

Some forums are already choosing a wife for him so I guess we may as well name the children too! ?

No, not even in the extended family, but I think it may have as much to do with the fact that the queen is alive. Sometimes people don't like using the name of a living person as a first name. It may have been thought too much to put on a child, to name her for the queen. Naming a child for Victoria who has been dead for over a hundred years is another matter.

I don't know if Victoria or Elizabeth is reserved for a future queen. But I do think if either had been used for a daughter, it would have been their first daughter. Charlotte was the spare to the throne. I don't see Harry using Elizabeth as a first name, not because he may want to reserve it for George, but because his grandmother will likely be alive.

Honestly I think using Elizabeth for Charlotte's middle name had as much to do with tradition as it did with the queen. And by that I mean Middleton tradition. Though Elizabeth is assumed to be for the queen, its also for Kate.

We have:

Carole Elizabeth
Catherine Elizabeth
Charlotte Elizabeth

All three women the eldest daughters. Elizabeth being the name of Carole's grandmother.

I know decades from now, but would be lovely to see Charltote having a daughter names C..... Elizabeth to make it four generations. :flowers:

I think Victoria can be used if Catherine has a girl. It’s going to be a long time before any of George’s children are on the throne.

George can easily have a sister Victoria and still use the name for his children.

Certainly true. In the past it was quite common to use the same name as one of your siblings for your kid (often because that sibling was a godparent of your child. In royal circles kids were often named after their godparents).

I still don't see it though. I think it more likely for Harry to use, but I don't think we will see either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom